Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lol this is just excusing capitalism for the crimes it commits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

But have you considered that the capitalism engine is made of humans, and the biosphere is going to sort out that problem pretty soon.

So it's fine, really. Great, even.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

But have you considered that the capitalism engine is made of humans, and the biosphere is going to sort out that problem pretty soon.

So it's fine, really. Great, even.

it's actually made of thermodynamics. lichen? capitalists. photosynthesis? thermodynamic imperialism. read theory

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Oglethorpe posted:

the carbon footprint from qassom rockets fired by hamas is having untold disasters on the climate

by bari weiss

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i see tons of water???? nbd

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Also, if you want to start blaming autism and ADHD on microplastics, you now have my permission

what can't these li'l guys do

go plastics go! our big beautiful legacy

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
capitalism is made of atoms and soon* all the protons in the universe will decay into a contiguous quark soup in thermal equilibrium

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
im putting the biosphere on hold while we deal with the current tragedy in israel

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

TACD posted:

also I cannot figure out how to do a proper imgur post on mobile because they seem hell-bent on not letting anyone actually use their site anymore wtf
if you're using the Imgur app you have to go to the picture you uploaded, make it full screen, then click on the little right facing arrow at the bottom to copy a BBcode img link

lemme double check:

yeah that's how it works

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Rock Puncher posted:

im putting the biosphere on hold while we deal with the current tragedy in israel

we need to shut down the biosphere til we figure out what the hell is going on there.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Climate change is like a bear. If we play dead maybe it'll go away???

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Microplastics posted:

It was actually hot in London yesterday. Yesterday being 8 October. October

It was a hot, sunny London day in October, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gravid Topiary posted:

if you're using the Imgur app you have to go to the picture you uploaded, make it full screen, then click on the little right facing arrow at the bottom to copy a BBcode img link
TY!

normal October for the north of England

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Microplastics posted:

Climate change is like a bear. If we play dead maybe it'll go away???

i read that as "like a beer" which i interpret further as "climate change is like a beer: it is not meant to be this warm, but it is not that bad, yet"

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
If you're on Windows, ShareX is your friend. Hooks into imgur and a ton of other services like text hosters and URL shorteners. Also lets you upload partial screen captures or images in your clipboard.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

cash crab posted:

i read that as "like a beer" which i interpret further as "climate change is like a beer: it is not meant to be this warm, but it is not that bad, yet"

i used to put cans on the stove, just don't leave em on till the plastic inside starts degrading it'll taste like poo poo

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I hate this.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

don't worry, there's a bumper sticker for you

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I do NOT wish to know more.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
8:30am? I'm not getting out of bed for anything less than a mammal going extinct, sorry

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its nice outside today. close the thread until these chicken littles warnings reflect reality.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Real hurthling! posted:

its nice outside today. close the thread until these chicken littles warnings reflect reality.

I can see a tree from my back porch, what's the big deal?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Climate death can't prevent nice weather all the time :unsmith:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
the cognitive dissonance I feel having snow tires put in in Oct, when it was in the upper 70s last week and also when I bought my ski pass this year I thought to myself "will this be the first year with zero skiiable days at MRG? We'll see!"

e: small potatoes compared to extinction etc but frankly if we gently caress the world up to the point that I can't bomb sick glade runs, I don't wanna be here anymore anyway

the ski thread has more in common with this thread every year, too :allears:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the cognitive dissonance I feel having snow tires put in in Oct, when it was in the upper 70s last week and also when I bought my ski pass this year I thought to myself "will this be the first year with zero skiiable days at MRG? We'll see!"

e: small potatoes compared to extinction etc but frankly if we gently caress the world up to the point that I can't bomb sick glade runs, I don't wanna be here anymore anyway

the ski thread has more in common with this thread every year, too :allears:

My husband is much less doom pilled than I am and he made a comment that he didn't think we'd be snowboarding with in the next few years given the rate of things. I mean I felt that way a while ago but heh. This year is supposed to be a warm dry el nino year in the pnw so im doubting the pass gets used a ton this year.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Microplastics posted:

8:30am? I'm not getting out of bed for anything less than a mammal going extinct, sorry

there's a lot of species of frogs i'm sure these are just the indie pitchfork reader hipster frogs no one has ever heard of anyway someplace far away. i can still go down to the creek and see frogs everything is fine

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
Wrap it up, doomers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAIyqUKNguI

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MightyBigMinus posted:

these university science blog posts are almost always nonsense but hey here's one that says bpa (which while technically not micropolastic i think its reasonable to conflate them conversationally) is probably a big factor in the rise of adhd and autism in the last few decades

https://today.rowan.edu/news/2023/09/researchers-find-bpa-links-to-autism-adhd.html

would be kinda lol if some incredibly weird evolutionary feedback loop led to us solving climate change the right way trains!

been sayin this for years and lol at all the gaslighting denialism. ummm it’s actually just better testing, nothing to see, nothing can actually get worse, end of history ftw

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

been sayin this for years and lol at all the gaslighting denialism. ummm it’s actually just better testing, nothing to see, nothing can actually get worse, end of history ftw

It's kind of insane and terrifying that this is something that a ton of people seem to earnestly believe. Everything is always getting better, it's always going to get better, and long-term negative developments just do not happen. Ever.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
hist'ry for thee

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

we did it Joe

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Paradoxish posted:

It's kind of insane and terrifying that this is something that a ton of people seem to earnestly believe. Everything is always getting better, it's always going to get better, and long-term negative developments just do not happen. Ever.

the Idea of Progress is the most seductive Western myth

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Spaced God posted:

my favorite was the ~conspiracy theory~ that the real reason t swift decided to go to a jets game as her first game with Kelce was because that way when you google "taylor swift jets" you'd get articles about the game instead of about her destroying the biosphere singlehandedly
I took this screenshot a week ago and titled it "2023-10-02-swift-jets-for-truth.png"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

its really sad and i think worse than straight up climate deniers. like at least climate denialism is rooted in a sense of avoiding guilt, which is only human (or at least western) to not want to confront. but for people who can believe some concept of climate change but for them the buck stops completely at simply CO2 = bad, that's it, once we reverse CO2 everything will be good and normal is actually crazy.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FFT posted:

I took this screenshot a week ago and titled it "2023-10-02-swift-jets-for-truth.png"

Taylor Swift melts steel beans

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Hubbert posted:

I'm not sure it's unique to the west; the communist east was also hooked on the idea of onwards and upwards towards utopia. Perhaps it originated in the capitalist west though, with the scientific and industrial revolutions.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Hubbert posted:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I drove 400+ miles through farmland this weekend and exactly two bugs splattered on my windshield. I remember 25 years ago my grandpa making the same drive and he had a mesh guard on the front of his truck that'd have so many bugs stuck to it he'd go rinse it out in the creek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

I'm not sure it's unique to the west; the communist east was also hooked on the idea of onwards and upwards towards utopia. Perhaps it originated in the capitalist west though, with the scientific and industrial revolutions.

Bingo! It even has some origins in the Enlightenment.