Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Go get some jerky and biltong from the Selfridges food counter while you're there

I was gonna have a skeg for crimbo presents but might also get that ta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

I genuinely can’t think of anywhere less OwlFancier-ish. What are you doing there?

I'm here on a course and it's the closest place without trying to navigate Manchester roads, got a nice noodle box though so not so bad

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Angrymog posted:

Fuctifikno - did you used to post on whyweprotest during the Operation Party Hard times? I remember there being a Portsmouth anon who was in a wheelchair and very active.

I made it to the cover of the T2 supplement when they covered Operation Party Hard

Plymouth and mobility scooter, and yup, that was me. I loved the Chanology times :)

I still have my ED page up. lol

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

keep punching joe posted:

He foolishly shared an image of a mural which used anti-semitic tropes (and I think the artist was later revealed to be an anti-semite).

He (unknowingly) made a trip to the grave of someone who was a suicide bomber in Israel (maybe getting the facts wrong there), and has also shared platforms with and referred to Hezbollah and Hamas as friends. Both organisations which can be argued as containing some anti-semitic sentiment.

This is probably about the full extent of genuine 'concerning' things he has done.

For what it's worth I don't believe he's anti-semitic, just not very careful about who he associates with (which is something that much of the UK left can be accused of). Plus he never expected to ever hold office or be in any senior position, so just had a history general activist stuff which was a bit edgier than polite society can handle.

Even this is a too generous retelling.

The mural was a "bankers standing in the backs of people" one. But the mix of bankers was almost entirely Christians - Rockefeller, JP Morgan etc - but yes there was a Rothschild in there. All had exaggerated features in the style of a political cartoon and yes, big noses. It was being painted over by the council, he said something along the lines of keeping local urban wall art. The artist may or may not have a year later said something anti-semitic.

He made a trip to a cemetery to honour a person who had been a PLO terrorist (or whatever you want to classify the PLO), but later in life attempted to negotiate peace, he was being honoured explicitly for the later. The same graveyard also had a more notorious terrorist buried somewhere else in it.

He talked about a meeting on how to negotiate a peaceful solution in the middle east and with a generic "we welcome our friends from <both side of the aisle to the negotiating table>" opening to a meeting, unfortunately he used the actual organisations names - thus leading to the famous "quote", devoid of context.

Even the recent past is turned to mush by the media's repetition of the narrative not the actual details.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I'm here on a course and it's the closest place without trying to navigate Manchester roads, got a nice noodle box though so not so bad

Manchester’s roads are indeed absolutely loving horrible so fair play.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Grim but inevitable development

https://twitter.com/sarahdadouch/status/1711431652163899431?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Sorry to interrupt... calling computer touchers...

mum's managed to get her Windows 10 elderly laptop (it was upgraded from Win8) infected with ransomware again. It's a blue screen which basically says 'call this number' and has a voice talking. (Last time, she paid £400 to whoever was at the other end of the phone, but when I found out, she managed to stop the payment with the credit card co. but then paid someone I trust to go over her computer to see if anything obvious was lurking - which it wasn't)

As I was at work when she called, I haven't seen it yet but sounds to me that it might be something like the Hiscurdismos which is essentially just a big pic over the screen and hides the cursor, puts itself in the startup file so it boots up again each time. Anyway, I told her to turn her router off in the meantime and just close the computer down.

Anyway, as she never does backups I don't really want to go for a full restore if I don't have to.

I don't know if her boot setting will allow to boot from a USB but I remembered that somewhere I have a USB with I think Mint Linux on it. If I were to try and boot from that (if I can find it!) do you think I would be able to at least get her files backed up even if I can't get to the startup file? Or indeed find a way to get 'behind' the image and sort from there? Just trying to avoid her having to pay out more money if it's something I could sort myself. Or is there a security tool I could put on a USB to boot up before windows if I can't find the Linux USB? I suppose I could redownload Mint or whatever if I can't find the USB with it on!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

Thread help I am in the Trafford palazzo and it's like a cathedral of capitalism I am just gawping at everything

More fool you.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think MalwareBytes still do a boot CD / usb drive image that will let you safely boot up and then use rkill.com to get rid of anything.

E: to clarify this is very much a 'you Jaeluni need to go over and do it' solution, not a 'pass this on to yer ma' one. If you're talking about linux you should easily be able to do it but it's definitely not for beginners.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 9, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sorry to interrupt... calling computer touchers...
Kali Linux is one of the best for getting files off of a disk without allowing anything that may be resident to execute, can run from USB or Live DVD, if you want to go that path.

OwlFancier posted:

Thread help I am in the Trafford palazzo and it's like a cathedral of capitalism I am just gawping at everything
You need to get to Tony Wilson Place, where the Engels statue will restore your constitution.

Oct 4, 2005

I'd be worried about all the files being encrypted but I'd give the Linux usb a go if I were you.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

wow, some unexpected positive ne-

lol. lmao.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think MalwareBytes still do a boot CD / usb drive image that will let you safely boot up and then use rkill.com to get rid of anything.

E: to clarify this is very much a 'you Jaeluni need to go over and do it' solution, not a 'pass this on to yer ma' one. If you're talking about linux you should easily be able to do it but it's definitely not for beginners.

Oh yeah I get that entirely. She's bringing her laptop round to me in a while. I've told her I can't promise anything.

Fortunately, I collect all her emails on my thunderbird (which she knows and I have saved her from a lot of bother by spotting malicious junk - if I get to it before she does!) as she gets hundreds of church, amateur dramatics, & charity shop rota things amongst all her junk so I can let her know anything important.

Guavanaut posted:

Kali Linux is one of the best for getting files off of a disk without allowing anything that may be resident to execute, can run from USB or Live DVD, if you want to go that path.

Not heard of that one - I'll give it a whirl.

1965917 posted:

I'd be worried about all the files being encrypted but I'd give the Linux usb a go if I were you.

Yes I've thought of that, I have an old win xp laptop that doesn't do wifi I could copy them to and see what happens.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh yeah I get that entirely. She's bringing her laptop round to me in a while. I've told her I can't promise anything.

Well mum brought her laptop round, a lot easier than I thought.
When I gave her the inquisition she'd clicked a video on Facebook. (Am always telling her not to without checking with the person first that they meant to send/post it).

I turned off my router (couldn't remember if she'd ever used it here) started laptop and the warning came up.
Pressed ctrl alt del and the task manager came up. Looked through Startup and saw Windows Defender Icon enabled. Disabled it. Rebooted. Bye bye message.
Now I'm doing virus scan (without going on net) then I'll use BT WiFi to update the antivirus and do it again.
Trying to identify the program so I can remove it.
I'll back her stuff up anyway (being careful!)

So not had to resort to Linux yet!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/OpinionsHaver/status/1711449671212621830

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Why is there a meeting sponsored by Amazon and arranged by the Tories happening within the Labour Party conference?

Like, did no-one consider saying "gently caress off" the moment Seb Payne's face appeared?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Desiderata posted:

Even this is a too generous retelling.

The mural was a "bankers standing in the backs of people" one. But the mix of bankers was almost entirely Christians - Rockefeller, JP Morgan etc - but yes there was a Rothschild in there. All had exaggerated features in the style of a political cartoon and yes, big noses. It was being painted over by the council, he said something along the lines of keeping local urban wall art. The artist may or may not have a year later said something anti-semitic.

The 6 caricatures were of Rothschild, Rockefeller, Morgan, Carnegie, Warburg, and Aleister Crowley, of which I think only Rothschild and Warburg were Jewish. They were unpleasant caricatures with exaggerated features but none of them really fit the anti-Semitic stereotype of the grinning hook-nosed Jew greedily rubbing his hands together.

I'd go as far as to say that the manufactured outrage that saw an image of robber barons exploiting the poor and made the leap that they must therefore all be Jewish was more anti-Semitic than anything the jam man has ever done.

Also the comment he posted was around 2012/3, 5-6 years before it became a headline story. Someone spent a lot of time scouring through years of his social media posts looking for a hit piece, and this was the best they found.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Apraxin posted:

wow, some unexpected positive ne-

lol. lmao.

*points at passing pigeon* re-privatised

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1711450040911143341

What a oval office

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

we have finally closed the nate silver gap

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If the drive is encrypted then you may have issues but Linux can read windows partitions so you should be able to copy files.

Then once your done wipe windows and install Mint for your mum.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Better get a Rockwell Retro Encabulator to check the authenticity of the recording. Here's a demonstration: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w&pp=ygUSUm9ja3dlbGwgY29tcHV0ZXJz

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

If the drive is encrypted then you may have issues but Linux can read windows partitions so you should be able to copy files.

If you have to go Linux, go Mint... so idiot resistant i've been using it for internet stuff since 2008.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My mum has an old laptop of mine I gave her 4 or 5 years ago running Linux Mint XFCE. It would likely run like dogshit if it had Win10/11 on it.

Modern mainstream Linux distros are really good for set-and-forget setups for older people. Configure Firefox and Thunderbird for max privacy/security, install uBlock Origin. Teach them when the Update icon appears in the taskbar, click it and follow instructions. If anything else asks for your password, say no.

They're not going to be trying to install Steam or run Wine apps or any of the other things that trip up nerds when switching to Linux. All they want is to get their emails and view their facebooks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Well I've restarted and rebooted several times, switched the Windows Defender notification icon back on, scanned & rescanned with two different antivirus programmes, and it's working fine

I'll wait a week or so make out it was really complicated and send her a bill for £480 ;) (not really but that's what she would have paid total - £400 to the scammers & £80 to someone to clear it for her!)

She is coming round to the idea that she needs a new laptop though - this one of hers must be about 11 years old now.
You can get one that does all she needs for under £300 these days.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
She could probably get away with a chromebook if she's anything like my old maw.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

lmao

https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1711361161638101071

He's such a disingenuous oval office

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This was actually at my brothers place of work - the head offices of Curry’s PC World.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
that's a very political way of thinking about it. I, a politician, would never be political. Now here's why you should vote for the conservatives

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

She could probably get away with a chromebook if she's anything like my old maw.

Chromebook, Android tablet (Samsungs are great if you have a keyboard/mouse and can use DeX) or just give her a non-admin account for Windows and don't give her the password so she can't install anything.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Conservatives can really go do one
e: I don't know if this person is real nor do I care because this is only a small representative portion of the smoothbrainers trying to refer to this as a second coming of Kristallnacht
https://twitter.com/DaveAtherton20/status/1711476384525168771

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 9, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

David Atherton is sadly real. He's far-right racist white supremacist conspiracy crank

You can tell by his profile picture that he's a perfect example of the master race

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Made a new acquaintance on my evening constitutional.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Dabir posted:

Made a new acquaintance on my evening constitutional.

More chin than the Master Racey Bodies.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Some of the most tory bastards are currently shining flashlights in bushes trying to conserve the hedgehogs in their local area, but they will never make the connection as to why the hedgehogs are endangered by capitalism.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Well that's how the hedgehog conservation movement in my local area works anyway.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I've talked to them a few times when I'm in the park at night, and it's fascinating, they care about what is happening, they are very motivated to try to protect the hedgehogs, but their ideological framework renders them incapable of understanding the situation

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Just take a minute to soak up the enthusiasm of the crowd.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

can't believe the unwritten conventions of gentlemen's agreements in UK politics have been tarnished this way. surely there will be a comeuppance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

winegums posted:

can't believe the unwritten conventions of gentlemen's agreements in UK politics have been tarnished this way. surely there will be a comeuppance.

People made fun of Anarcho-Monarchism but it turns out we were living in it the entire time