Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Desert Bus posted:

Go to any rust belt town/small city and then go to the BAD mall. The one where you can buy lovely second hand books and maybe there's a slot car racing place? The food court pizza will be amazing in an awful sort of way.

It's not just the rust belt, not by a long shot. This is ten minutes from downtown Orlando

We had a similar situation in South Florida as well, they called it a flea market but had a bunch of normal retail storefronts so it was just a lying dead mall. Again minutes from several large city centers. Malls die and are too expensive to redevelop into anything useful so they turn into these until they rot so much that the city has to condemn them and socialize the loss. Hell, the mall a block from me has an entire wing that houses a Planet Fitness, a Spanish radio station, an anchor (Dillards?) that doesn't even open on weekdays, and about thirty empty storefronts. They carved out an entire wall of the mall to build a hotel that never manifested so if it doesn't turn into a vintage mall soon it'll only be due to the water damage from the still-missing wall in a state where it rains more days than not.

Ain't capitalism grand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Weirdly malls in Los Angeles thrive. I can't explain it. I love going in there though the food court alone is like a time machine just based on the smell

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The vintage mall concept is called a peddler's mall here in Kentucky

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Soul Dentist posted:

The vintage mall concept is called a peddler's mall here in Kentucky

I thought it was called a piggly wiggly?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Malls in dense cities or cities with public transit can survive, yeah. We even have malls that are mostly still malls in Orlando, but it's impossible to build transit here (the most recent reason why is currently running a presidential campaign into the ground as some insane grift) and it's similarly impossible to densify here, though that's at least partially because of buildings just falling into the loving ground.

I do see these things in other places too, Vegas has a few and I'm pretty sure Asheville NC has several, though that may be by hipster design.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It's an air conditioned flea market because it's hotter than Satan's rear end in a top hat in a lot of red states

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There was a really good flea market in Montgomery. It was just like a mini mall. You could get living rooms, bedrooms, dinettes.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Malls are a John Hughes creation for 80's movies.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Malls are a John Waters creation for 80's movies.

For some reason parsed it this way and was like :hmmyes:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

Malls are a John Hughes creation for 80's movies.

John Who's?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

maybealabia posted:

It's an air conditioned flea market because it's hotter than Satan's rear end in a top hat in a lot of red states

No, we had one of those too. It was in an old horse barn that had been messily converted, but it wasn't a mall pretending to be a flea market because it didn't have any chain retail stores and anyone selling anything new was just doing bulk Alibaba orders. I can understand a flea market having a convenience store, but multiple mall staples like Claire's and GameStop means you're just a dying mall that desperately wishes it wasn't.

They closed the real flea market after one of the buildings floated off its foundations in a heavy rainstorm. Turns out the rising water table had eaten every vertical structural member below the ground, and nobody noticed because inspections here are a joke. See also: the Palm Beach condo that fell down after 3 years of every person who worked on the building saying it was going to fall down and even informing the county.

E: gently caress this is the funny pictures thread what am I doing with my life.

I'm at the dying mall
I'm at the indoor themepark
I'm at the combination dying mall and indoor themepark

I'm at the dying mall
I'm at the car museum
I'm at the combination dying mall and car museum

And indoor theme park

And indoor mini golf

And bass pro shops, for some reason?

And closed Toby Keith's I Love This Bar And Grill

Anyway that's all the same place, the Artegon pictured above. It's five blocks from Universal Studios. The mall is perpetually struggling and reinventing itself to struggle some more, the country bar died in under a year, but the fuckin bass pro shops and movie theater I forgot to mention above are doing gangbusters.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Oct 9, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

There was a really good flea market in Montgomery. It was just like a mini mall. You could get living rooms, bedrooms, dinettes.

I don’t have anything clever to say but I still want you to know I picked this up.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I am beaming smiling right now

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Anyway that's all the same place, the Artegon pictured above. It's five blocks from Universal Studios. The mall is perpetually struggling and reinventing itself to struggle some more, the country bar died in under a year, but the fuckin bass pro shops and movie theater I forgot to mention above are doing gangbusters.

That's because Bass Pro is an Experience, not just a store: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2023/09/american-department-store-shopping-experience/675210/

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Bass Pros got some super sweet aquariums.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Where I’m from we call those “marts” or, less lovingly, “dirt malls”

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Grassy Knowles posted:

I am beaming smiling right now

You can find them. At the market!

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
now theres a tune i haven't heard in a long time

*stares off into distance kenobishly, turns into dust*

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Oh hey Sammy Stephens, didn't know you were a goon

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I am absolutely enthralled by these wacky malls and I want to go to all of them.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
I always have this hope that someone will buy one of those defunct malls and opens it up for people to roller skate in. Or paintball. Or both.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Professor Moriarty posted:

I always have this hope that someone will buy one of those defunct malls and opens it up for people to roller skate in. Or paintball. Or both.

Near the town I grew up in, someone put a skating rink in an old strip mall, they bought like 3 adjacent stores and knocked the walls down. There were columns everywhere, it did not last long.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Back in... 2006? I did a spring break trip to Florida and this was a running theme/joke for the whole trip.

Then, on the way back home, my car's water pump died. In Montgomery.

/e: must have been '07 or '08 based on when it first got uploaded

stringless has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Oct 10, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0NtxTzsD4k

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

...Anyway that's all the same place, the Artegon pictured above. It's five blocks from Universal Studios. The mall is perpetually struggling and reinventing itself to struggle some more, the country bar died in under a year, but the fuckin bass pro shops and movie theater I forgot to mention above are doing gangbusters.

Dr. Peter Venkman posted:

It's Art, Egon

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Lazer tag needs to make a comeback somehow

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

great big cardboard tube posted:

Lazer tag needs to make a comeback somehow
lazer tag in an abandoned mall and the announcer is a soundboard of MST3K clips

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Splicer posted:

Lazer Tag but your gun/vest tracks streaks and uses UT and/or Quake announcements.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Splicer posted:

ROWSDOWER!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dameius posted:

Lazer Tag but your gun/vest tracks streaks and uses UT and/or Quake announcements.
:hmmyes: but instead of the ut/Quake sounds it's these names in order https://mst3k.fandom.com/wiki/Dave_Ryder

MVP gets named

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

No, we had one of those too. It was in an old horse barn that had been messily converted, but it wasn't a mall pretending to be a flea market because it didn't have any chain retail stores and anyone selling anything new was just doing bulk Alibaba orders. I can understand a flea market having a convenience store, but multiple mall staples like Claire's and GameStop means you're just a dying mall that desperately wishes it wasn't.

They closed the real flea market after one of the buildings floated off its foundations in a heavy rainstorm. Turns out the rising water table had eaten every vertical structural member below the ground, and nobody noticed because inspections here are a joke. See also: the Palm Beach condo that fell down after 3 years of every person who worked on the building saying it was going to fall down and even informing the county.

E: gently caress this is the funny pictures thread what am I doing with my life.

I'm at the dying mall
I'm at the indoor themepark
I'm at the combination dying mall and indoor themepark

I'm at the dying mall
I'm at the car museum
I'm at the combination dying mall and car museum

And indoor theme park

And indoor mini golf

And bass pro shops, for some reason?

And closed Toby Keith's I Love This Bar And Grill

This is now owned by a crazy Trump associate. Dezer Development of Miami.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

No. 6 posted:

This is now owned by a crazy Trump associate. Dezer Development of Miami.

Didn't know they were Trumpy but it doesn't matter, there's no reason to ever go and someone is building a better multistory theater a block away. Artegon/Dezerland (sorry for posting that name, it's awful and never again) will never fully die though, the weird cul-de-sac off International Drive that it sits on is also home to a serially mismanaged outlet mall that has changed hands several times but similarly has had no interest from any non-lovely-mall entities any of the times it's been up for sale.

At this point I'm convinced that everything on that side of Fun Spot is just a tax write-off.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That whole area is devoid of humanity and is monument to capitalism and lowest common denominator amusement.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No. 6 posted:

That whole area is devoid of humanity and is monument to capitalism and lowest common denominator amusement.

Yeah, SomethingAwful rules!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

McCloud!

SheepThrowinBoy
Sep 20, 2003

"Joel, what are these films
supposed to teach us?"

"We're born, we die, & there is
a lot of padding in between."

Watch out for snakes!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

marshmallow creep posted:

Wtf

Edit: I misunderstood "vintage mall" and was trying to figure out what makes a mall "vintage."

"Oh, the brutalist exterior really makes you feel like you're in RoboCop's Detroit."

Yeah it's a "mall" colloquially. They're basically consignment shops in a renovatedfaftory or some other dilapidated building. You pay $300 a month for a 5' by 5' square that you stock yourself and the company handles the retail component for an additional 15%. They're filled with weird collectibles, antique furniture and folk art. We went to one in Lewes Delaware where all in row there were China hutches filled with angel figurines, a stall selling Playboys from the 70s and then one selling nautical maps of Asia from the 19th century.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Jack, I want you to draw me like one of your French girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Lobok posted:

Yeah, SomethingAwful rules!

SA is definitely not capitalist because there was probably a time when Lowtax could have sold this dead gay site for good money but didn't.