Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

Desert Bus posted:

Let me guess...

Your kid is a "Rainbow Baby" who "feasts on the souls of the innocent" and is "the modern God of destruction."

Parents... harumph.

Not a rainbow baby, but we're still working on the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Have you tried getting the current God of Destruction to babysit?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
imo a lot of childfree people soften on the idea after spending time with kids because popular media and society at large treats having children as a nightmarish burden to shoulder that will drain your bank account and all your free time and reward you with screaming toddlers and dirty nappies. Toddlers especially get an incredibly bad rap.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Had it been a Rainbow Baby, perhaps Heimdall would be a better choice.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does his mom say it’s okay?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

abigserve posted:

imo a lot of childfree people soften on the idea after spending time with kids because popular media and society at large treats having children as a nightmarish burden to shoulder that will drain your bank account and all your free time and reward you with screaming toddlers and dirty nappies. Toddlers especially get an incredibly bad rap.

Yeah, but toddlers deserve that rap. I have had one for about 4 years now...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for spending nearly 2k on Lego sets?

quote:

I am a huge fan of models and building kits, I am into Gunpla, Warhammer, and Lego. New star wars set came out and I picked it, and another one and my wife had a royal poo poo fit.

We are not rich, but we are comfortable. I do earn the majority of the income, my wife works part-time in retail just to keep busy while our kids are in school. Our kids are not in need of anything, and we have minimal expenses. We do carry some debt but it is not much.

When my wife spends money on w/e I do not question it, and I rarely get things for myself in terms of items towards my hobbies. When I saw this set, and other miscellaneous sets I was interested in that were on sale, I had to get them.

I know it will not hurt our budget, but to her, my hobbies are a waste of money, she equates them to if she went out and bought designer handbags and stuff. I do not feel they are the same, I do not have any other vices outside of my hobbies.

I did not ask because I knew she would say no, and tbh I am sick of her always saying no. I went with the better to ask for forgiveness instead of permission.

So AITA, I just wanted to have fun.

The last line could describe 99% of these posts.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cowslips Warren posted:

quote:

I am a huge fan of models and building kits, I am into Gunpla, Warhammer, and Lego the most expensive hobby that doesn’t “neigh.”

Fixed.

Says the guy who has an enormous amount of unbuilt Lego waiting for him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

abigserve posted:

I loving love kids and spending time with kids and their parents has only ever reinforced my decision to never have any of them of my own :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have some relatively expensive hobbies too, such as riding motorcycles, but $2,000 is actually enough to buy an entire motorcycle and you bet i'd get some poo poo about doing that out of the blue from a shared account.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

my dude they are never going to stop making Star Wars lego and there will be bigger and better sets available after you pay off your credit card

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

poo poo I don't even collect Legos and I have spent at least $1000 on them between like 3 nostalgia grown up sets for me and a bunch of Lego Mario sets for my kid

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Have you ever paid a debt? It's the least satisfying way to spend money, worse even than paying bills every month. Honestly if I could avoid repaying my student loans ever again, I would be fine with that.

Nobody building a cool Lego set ever went "argh I wish I had less of something instead of all these dope legos"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

abigserve posted:

Toddlers especially get an incredibly bad rap.

Two-year-olds can be exhausting but are a joy, I’m really sorry for people that can’t appreciate their baby struggling to turn into a person.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for accidently eating co workers sandwich and leaving note with 20 dollars saying "sorry buddy ): "

quote:

Work at a warehouse in the middle of nowhere, 15 minuets away from the nearest town and subway sandwich store. I LOVE SUBWAY. I forgot my lunch one day and was about to suffer through a 12 hour shift. I saw a subway sandwich in the fridge and assumed it was left by someone so I ate it as it was a black forest ham which is my favourite. I left a note pinned to the fridge with 20 dollars folded in the envelope. on the envelope it said, this is more than 2x the value of your sandwich, im sorry, i was really hungry.

the next day there was a note on the fridge saying whoever ate my sub please think before doing it again and he signed his name. I found him and apologized and I said i thought it was left over and no one was going to eat it. He said that was a really stupid assumption and he got angry and said i was a dickwad. I told him no need for the language but he should really put his name on his food so this doesn't happen.

AITA?

I swear it was an accident, my mouth slipped and fell on it

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Calling fake, nobody would ever say "I LOVE SUBWAY"

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Subway marketing getting clever

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I do and I would eat it more often because I apparently live down the street from the one non-lovely Subway in the entirety of Texas, but I would not bellow it aloud like a Frankenstein like that, no.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love how Subways used to smell.

Lol athe suggestion "should've put your name on it." He was already assuming with no effort to check if anyone there was gonna eat it and yeah right that a name on it would be the magic ward for hin to be considerate.

Sorry dude, you planned for lunch and I didn't so you know how it goes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

The smell (specifically the smell) of Subway has always been stomach-churningly revolting to me. It's not a bad experience or anything, I've never even tasted it because of how it smells. I assume I have a smell receptor for some unusual molecule or something, like the people who hate cilantro.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

Have you ever paid a debt? It's the least satisfying way to spend money, worse even than paying bills every month. Honestly if I could avoid repaying my student loans ever again, I would be fine with that.

Nobody building a cool Lego set ever went "argh I wish I had less of something instead of all these dope legos"

getting out from your interest payments means even more money to buy legos :ssh:

anyhow, Star Wars is pretty lame so you should just invest your money until they start releasing castle sets again so you can buy more of the only legos that ever mattered

Khanstant posted:

Lol athe suggestion "should've put your name on it." He was already assuming with no effort to check if anyone there was gonna eat it and yeah right that a name on it would be the magic ward for hin to be considerate.

Sorry dude, you planned for lunch and I didn't so you know how it goes.

my name is Subway so I thought I had brought my lunch and written my name all over it and just forgot about it because I was in a sandwich fugue state

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

titty_baby_ posted:

How are two retired people spending $4-500 a month on groceries

400-500 bucks a month on groceries split between two people is like 6-8 dollars a day per person. I don't know if you've been the store recently, but 4 chicken thighs can run you 6-8 dollars by themselves.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Uncontrollable Subway eating is like fractional party sub story. Homeopathic party sub story

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I call bullshit since anyone that’s a big enough rear end in a top hat to steal communal fridge lunches would never say anything to anyone about it. Then after a month or two a memo will go out to tell people not to steal food out of the fridge for fucks sake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

getting out from your interest payments means even more money to buy legos :ssh:

anyhow, Star Wars is pretty lame so you should just invest your money until they start releasing castle sets again so you can buy more of the only legos that ever mattered

my name is Subway so I thought I had brought my lunch and written my name all over it and just forgot about it because I was in a sandwich fugue state

Good news, they're releasing castle sets again

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Good news, they're releasing castle sets again

They can't do this to my wallet....

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't want the castle set, I want the dragon-catch set where 2-4 horses had this cart where the green or black dragon was caged.

THIS ONE: Dragon Wagon 6056
But there was also a black dragon....

AITA for asking my husband why dishes were piled up in sink?

quote:

My husband has been unemployed for the past five months. Before he quit his job, we had a verbal agreement in place that I would float him until he found a suitable job in exchange for him helping with the housework and cooking. After I worked a 12 hour shift, I came home to dishes piled in the sink and him asking me what I want to do about dinner. When I firmly with attitude asked why dirty dishes were still in the sink, he spent 10 minutes defending himself and telling me what a busy day he had applying to jobs, taking our 7 year old to get a haircut, doing a phone interview and talking to a tax relief company. In the time it took him to plead his case, I had already washed all the dishes, and began preparing dinner. When he finished talking and saw I was starting on dinner, he told me he would handle it, so I could go upstairs to change out of my work clothes. He is upset because he feels if the tables were turned, it would be wrong for him to come home and ask me why I didn’t wash the dishes. I’m upset because we have an agreement, and I feel that he’s not keeping up his end of it. I get that days can get busy, but when he told me he “only” took a 20 minute nap today, I became even more annoyed. Yes, I did have attitude, and I probably should have gently asked him when he would be able to get around to helping with the dishes, but AITA?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 10, 2023

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

Pirate Radar posted:

Does his mom say it’s okay?

The god of destruction's mom or the baby's mom? Because I am fine with Shiva as a babysitter.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Remulak posted:

Two-year-olds can be exhausting but are a joy, I’m really sorry for people that can’t appreciate their baby struggling to turn into a person.

That's nice but why is the person my 2yo is struggling to turn into such a clumsy jerk?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Children often represent and exhibit all of the monkey behaviors we wish to either encourage or push down. They can be equal parts cruel and kind, full of wonder and boredom. I think in some way's we're jealous of them as adults, feeling everything so strongly. Some people get angry at them for being so lucky and some people try to live vicariously through them and encourage them. Though some hate them and try to live vicariously through them.

I find people that have a lot of regret in their lives tend to hate children the most. They also tend to be the most bitter. I love to see children or younger adults do well, I want for them things that I didn't have. I want them to feel good things, some do not want for children to do well. But I don't necessarily define those people as evil or anything, just sad. worthy of pity.

[e] to clarify, toddlers are annoying. but we love them anyways.

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 10, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Elissimpark posted:

That's nice but why is the person my 2yo is struggling to turn into such a clumsy jerk?

Genes and/or parenting.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Tarkus posted:

Children often represent and exhibit all of the monkey behaviors we wish to either encourage or push down. They can be equal parts cruel and kind, full of wonder and boredom. I think in some way's we're jealous of them as adults, feeling everything so strongly. Some people get angry at them for being so lucky and some people try to live vicariously through them and encourage them. Though some hate them and try to live vicariously through them.

I find people that have a lot of regret in their lives tend to hate children the most. They also tend to be the most bitter. I love to see children or younger adults do well, I want for them things that I didn't have. I want them to feel good things, some do not want for children to do well. But I don't necessarily define those people as evil or anything, just sad. worthy of pity.

[e] to clarify, toddlers are annoying. but we love them anyways.

Or some people just don't like kids? They're loud, messy, a huge drain financially and emotionally, etc, and not everyone gets a big endorphin rush from seeing a baby coo or whatever. I've known tons of people who can't stand to be around kids and seem perfectly happy otherwise. They aren't bitter husks full of recrimination, they just want to spend time with other adults.

Yeah the people who make hating kids a central part of their identity are annoying, but generally speaking so is anyone who makes hating anything a core facet of who they are.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elissimpark posted:

They learn by their parents' example.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What kind of money pit should you yeet into when you're done with horses, Funko and Legohave lost their allure, and you don't like sneakers?

AITA for telling my friend her doll was a knockoff?

quote:

This might be kind of niche, but I feel bad about so here we are. One of my hobbies is collecting Ball Jointed Dolls (BJDs) and we have a local group for it. These dolls are typically very expensive because of the work that goes into them and are usually small companies or individual makers and not mass-produced.

A friend of mine was thinking about getting into the hobby after years of being interested, so I directed her to some cheaper, "beginner" dolls to get a feel for it. A couple of days ago, she came over to show me that her new doll had arrived. She hadn't gotten one of the cheaper ones, I recognized the sculpt as being from a pretty expensive brand. I know my friend is not doing great financially, so I thought it was a little weird that she'd gotten a $500 doll. I asked, and she told me she got it really cheap online. Doll was missing papers and the metal plate that legitimate ones have, so I knew it was a knockoff.

Knockoff dolls are a huge issue in the community because it's basically art theft from small businesses, so people get pretty touchy about it. I gently told my friend that it was a knockoff of the original doll, to which she said she didn't care. I asked why she hadn't gotten any of the cheaper ones I suggested and she said that she didn't want a "cheap" doll and look like a beginner when she goes to our doll meetup. My friend is a beginner, so I'm confused. I feel a bit stupid for not explicitly telling her to not buy knockoffs, but I thought it was obvious.

Most of my dolls are from the "cheap" brands - I'd love to have other more expensive ones but I can't afford them without being financially irresponsible. I've never had anyone be rude to me about it - usually the opposite as people are usually impressed how much effort I put into working on clothes, painting, etc. for my dolls.

I told my friend that she needed to be open about her doll being a knockoff, otherwise the other collectors will find out and be mad that she's an art thief if she tries to hide it. They'd be more understanding if they though she simply didn't realize before getting her first doll. She told me I'm being elitist and gatekeeping the hobby and is now pissed at me for ruining her enjoyment of her new doll. AITA for telling her?

Speaking of, I found that dragon cage set I was looking for that I had when I was a kid, the Lego dragon was so sweet, but it's like 50 bucks and I just don't think I could justify that one. That's a full tank of gas or ten loaves of bread.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of childfree people tend to be making pretty obvious reactions to how they were brought up expecting to have children as a matter of course regardless of personal desire or ability, especially as we've seen over and over how girls are treated as free babysitting, and baby trapping is done under the assumption that seeing a baby will cause a magical transformation in someone who's made it clear they do not want children. Some people definitely get weird and stupid about it, but the boundaries are hard and viciously enforced out of necessity.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Cowslips Warren posted:

What kind of money pit should you yeet into when you're done with horses, Funko and Legohave lost their allure, and you don't like sneakers?

AITA for telling my friend her doll was a knockoff?

Speaking of, I found that dragon cage set I was looking for that I had when I was a kid, the Lego dragon was so sweet, but it's like 50 bucks and I just don't think I could justify that one. That's a full tank of gas or ten loaves of bread.

Well made BJDs are so cool I will definitely not spend hundreds of dollars on them and instead look at nice YouTube videos of people customising them

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I know that I cannot have children because I know I cannot give the attention, care and love that a human requires to grow up. I can barely manage that for myself, and every day I collapse into bed in near exhaustion. Having another being that is dependent on me for that and more? No, I would not be able to do what needs to be done.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Remulak posted:

Both things are true, toddlers are a joy and they also sometimes start screaming because you won't let them eat food out of a public trashcan. I can appreciate that it's hard to learn to become a person while at the same time acknowledging that it sometimes sucks to deal with the fallout of that process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What does “get a feel for it” mean to that OP