Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone try Silent Hope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Future Video GamesUK posted:

What's most spear like? Lance? I wanna poke em

And do I need Iceborne cuz the reviews on it aren't very good. I would wait for a sale anyway probably.

Lance is the pokiest weapon and is based on bullying the monster by parking yourself against it, stabbing it for as long as you have an opening, dropping into a counter mode as soon as it tries to do anything back to you, and going back to stabs. if it dares to move away from you, you have a guard advance move and a charge that will place you back in the poke zone. More than any other weapon lance just feels cruel when you play it well, there’s a lot of tough monsters it completely defuses because you don’t have to respect anything they do

You can ignore iceborne until you get past the base game’s credits.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

As a counterpoint, I think Lance is kinda boring since it's so stationary, other than the charging run.
I slept on Bow for the longest time, my advice is don't sleep on bow, bow is great because it's "ranged" played at melee distances, and you're mobile as gently caress.

And yeah, skip Iceborne until you're done with World itself, clutch claw sucks and the less you feel inclined to use it the better

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 9, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Buying iceborne does give you one new move (the clutch claw). It's essential for a lot of iceborne monsters but none of the base game stuff was rebalanced around it anyway. But that's it, everything else in the expansion is basically inaccessible until you've run the base game's final credits.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Also, ignore the Defender item set. It's basically a bunch of cheat items that were added to let you rush to the expansion content. You shouldn't use it for your first playthrough.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

What's most spear like? Lance? I wanna poke em

And do I need Iceborne cuz the reviews on it aren't very good. I would wait for a sale anyway probably.

Iceborne had pretty crummy performance at launch and apparently deleted the save for people that hadn't played in forever. The advice at the time was to at least load up your save from World once if you hadn't played it in 2+ years before installing Iceborne. Not sure if the save issue was ever fixed or was just made moot over time. Either way, it had a rough launch.

The boss fights in Iceborne are outstanding, though and I love the Guiding Lands endgame

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

notable next fest demos:

American Arcadia
Another Crab's Treasure (Going Under dev)
Asura the Striker (looks like anime Space Harrier??)
Bahnsen Knights (Mothmen 1966 dev)
Between Horizons (Lacuna dev)
Darkest Abyss (by 2ndBoss.. these guys just keep pumping out games)
Dungeons 4
Europa
Flashback 2 (this can't possibly be good but i have to witness it)
Forgive Me Father 2
Ghostrunner 2
Go Mecha Ball
Gunhead (Cryptark dev)
Jackbox Party Pack 10
Jusant
Karmazoo
Motordoom
Murder on the Orient Express
My Work is Not Yet Done
Octopus City Blues
Outpath
Overrider (by Lifeslide dev)
Par for the Dungeon
Pixeljunk Eden 2
Plungeroo
Rabbit & Steel (Maiden & Spell dev)
Robocop: Rogue City (note: large download)
Robocraft 2
Sandy's Great Escape
Saturnalia (by the dev of Mirrormoon EP and Wheels of Aurelia)
Sentry
Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley
Sky: Children of the Light (Journey dev, will be f2p on release)
Star Ocean: Second Story R
Stronghold: Definitive Edition
Terminator: Dark Fate Defiance (by Slitherine)
The Last Exterminator
The Last Faith
The Talos Principle 2
The Thumaturge (Seven: The Long Days Gone dev)
Turnip Boy Robs a Bank
Twilight Oracle (Blood Nova dev)
Last Train Home
Tevi (Rabi-Ribi dev)
Warbits+ (once a very popular Nintendo-SRPG-like on mobile)
Vengeance of Mr. Peppermint
Venture to the Vile
Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom
Yohane the Parhelion (IntiCreates)

no doubt many more but this is what i've seen in the trending tab

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 9, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thank you everyone. I look forward to picking on monsters.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Propaganda Hour posted:

Iceborne had pretty crummy performance at launch and apparently deleted the save for people that hadn't played in forever. The advice at the time was to at least load up your save from World once if you hadn't played it in 2+ years before installing Iceborne. Not sure if the save issue was ever fixed or was just made moot over time. Either way, it had a rough launch.

My Iceborne save was missing after I reinstalled recently, starting again from the completed save I had from the original game (RIP to my full set of Shara Ishvalda armor). Not sure if it will get deleted again if I go long enough without playing, guess I'll have to wait and see.

One thing I would suggest is turning off DX12 for anyone reinstalling. It has stability issues and tends to crash during cutscenes, already had to turn it back to DX11 since I lost a few hours of progress on it crashing repeatedly during the cutscene after fighting the first Barioth. Might also be related to the high definition texture pack, turned that off as well just to be safe.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really liked Talos Principle and been meaning to complete the DLC, but jesus the demo for Talos Principle 2 is 22 gigs?!

The demo save data better be able to carry over...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The hatred for the clutch claw never made much sense to me, though I did exclusively play Lance which apparently had one of the most fun clutch claw moves so YMMV on that front.

Squiggle posted:

As a counterpoint, I think Lance is kinda boring since it's so stationary, other than the charging run.
I slept on Bow for the longest time, my advice is don't sleep on bow, bow is great because it's "ranged" played at melee distances, and you're mobile as gently caress.

And yeah, skip Iceborne until you're done with World itself, clutch claw sucks and the less you feel inclined to use it the better

If you're stationary as a Lance, you're doing it wrong. You just always move around by either hopping or charging, walking is not an option. With enough practice Lance is actually insanely mobile.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

My Iceborne save was missing after I reinstalled recently, starting again from the completed save I had from the original game (RIP to my full set of Shara Ishvalda armor). Not sure if it will get deleted again if I go long enough without playing, guess I'll have to wait and see.

One thing I would suggest is turning off DX12 for anyone reinstalling. It has stability issues and tends to crash during cutscenes, already had to turn it back to DX11 since I lost a few hours of progress on it crashing repeatedly during the cutscene after fighting the first Barioth. Might also be related to the high definition texture pack, turned that off as well just to be safe.

That sounds like a different save issue and RIP that sucks. Agreed on the DX11 - Iceborne was a hackjob implementation by capcom for DX12 and should just be kept off.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the two bowguns should be in the easy category imo. they play very differently from all the melee weapons and won't really teach you how to use a greatsword or whatever but if you wanna play shootmans you can jump right into it no problem

Guns are the simplest weapons to use in a hunt but the most complicated weapons to set up out of a hunt. they are full of trap ammo choices (which vary from gun to gun) and using them well means sifting through the 10+ ammo options on each gun’s ammo selection to find which one you should actually use, and it’s not intuitive which types those will be. then you need to buy/craft that ammo and store it in an item loadout specific to that individual gun. Much like greatsword, they’re simple to control in a hunt but not actually a great first timer choice because of the knowledge expected, although the knowledge is less about monster behavior and more how to set yourself up for success outside the hunt. Of course nothing’s stopping you from experimenting with ammo types the slow way but that’s more work than grabbing the dual blades and slamming buttons until the monster blows up

if you do choose to learn gunning, the most important thing to know when looking at the ammo screen is that there are 4 levels of recoil and 4 levels of reload speed, and you don’t want to rely on any ammo with the two slowest recoil or two slowest reload levels. not only do those take a lot longer, they stop you from moving during the shot/reload. Gun mods can get you down to a good level of recoil/reload so be sure to check the screen that shows you how the ammo performance will change with each mod.

Tamba posted:

Also, ignore the Defender item set. It's basically a bunch of cheat items that were added to let you rush to the expansion content. You shouldn't use it for your first playthrough.

Seconded. it also caps out right at the start of the expansion so you won’t be able to rely on it forever, and IB will be a rude awakening if it’s your first time learning to play without it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I really liked Talos Principle and been meaning to complete the DLC, but jesus the demo for Talos Principle 2 is 22 gigs?!

I know, so tiny, right? Small enough to fit in system RAM, barely larger than VRAM.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
RE: Monster Hunter Chat

Talk of World makes me want to play it again but I do not have Iceborne on PC and I am not sure if I want to play through the main game again. Then again, I still have the rest of Sunbreak to play.

Anyway, some weapons are easier to get into than others, but every weapon type is the best in the game if you want it to be. Don't sweat having to be optimal.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

American Arcadia would be really neat if the main characters weren't so forspoken

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Propaganda Hour posted:

Iceborne had pretty crummy performance at launch

IIRC this was because they added a bad anticheat that killed framerates.
Before iceborne people were making mods to do things like make the shop in town sell all the best endgame gear/materials for 1 cent each and this was an attempt to stop that from happening.
Anyway the anticheat was cracked within less than a week after launch and even if you weren't cheating running the anti-anticheat program improved performance a ton. (You also needed it if you wanted to use any cosmetic mods)

Orv
May 4, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone try Silent Hope?

I’m silently hoping all this Monster Hunter talk will stop. :rimshot:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Monster Hunter is like the one out of 3 games I've ever played where playing with randoms is actually a good fun.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

notable next fest demos:

went through the steam page and would add Anomaly Agent and Peripeteia. Already played the latter (very briefly, gives remote E.Y.E. vibes) and Another Crabs Treasure which is an interesting take on the soulslike but feels a bit beta.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Got too much going on for NextFest this time around, sorry. Will eagerly be awaiting people's reviews, though!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone try Silent Hope?

I gave the demo a shot: seemed cute, your basic roguelite where you delve into a randomized dungeon, going deeper and deeper fighting monsters and gathering resources and unlocking checkpoints and defeating bosses, going back up top between expeditions to craft gear and cook and to make you more powerful to go even deeper, repeat ad nauseam. Notable things were the fact that you can swap between many heroes at the start or in the middle of your expedition and I guess that can keep things fresh. All in all it just seemed rather generic and unmemorable, and it even had some questionable decisions like crafting having timers that can be sped up by spending more on them, like it was some sort of mobile game trying to bilk you. Not necessarily bad but not great either: could think of plenty other delving/progression games to prioritize instead. For example, have you heard of Monster Hunter, the latest thread craze? :rolleyes: (ok but i do really love monster hunter tho)

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 9, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anyone trying Sovereign Syndicate? Game seems to be going for "spiritual successor of Arcanum" which, okay, I am interested.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks like the Robocop demo is under 40g.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Serephina posted:

IDGI, there's the monthly which you pay for, and the "vault" of not-quite-free stuff you get when subscribed, but what's this third option? Desktop app?

There are exactly three games in this Collection perk. To be honest, I have no idea why they decided to offer this as it was already overkill, but at least I got to play Signalis.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Half hour left on the download. I assume it's the law that you have to make your palico look like your real life cat. I'm gonna start a new character since I barely began before.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FutureCop posted:

I gave the demo a shot: seemed cute, your basic roguelite where you delve into a randomized dungeon, going deeper and deeper fighting monsters and gathering resources and unlocking checkpoints and defeating bosses, going back up top between expeditions to craft gear and cook and to make you more powerful to go even deeper, repeat ad nauseam. Notable things were the fact that you can swap between many heroes at the start or in the middle of your expedition and I guess that can keep things fresh. All in all it just seemed rather generic and unmemorable, and it even had some questionable decisions like crafting having timers that can be sped up by spending more on them, like it was some sort of mobile game trying to bilk you. Not necessarily bad but not great either: could think of plenty other delving/progression games to prioritize instead. For example, have you heard of Monster Hunter, the latest thread craze? :rolleyes: (ok but i do really love monster hunter tho)

Thanks I’ll add it to my wishlist for a deep sale then lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Has there been any news on a release date for space marine 2? Seems like its likely to be pushed into next year if they havent released a date for 2023 yet

Orv
May 4, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Has there been any news on a release date for space marine 2? Seems like its likely to be pushed into next year if they havent released a date for 2023 yet

They're sticking to their guns on 'late 2023' so far.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just realized this is being made by a completely different company and publisher then the original.

I'm guessing the rights just bounced around between all the various mergers and acquisitions.

That said, Relic dropped the loving ball with Dawn of War 3 so at least it's someone new.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I assume it's the law that you have to make your palico look like your real life cat.

You're drat right it is

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Riccitiello is out at Unity. Probably took responsibility for his fuckup. And by responsibility I mean a big sack of money.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

notable next fest demos:

[...]
Tevi (Rabi-Ribi dev)

Tried this. Just like Rabi Ribi, it's a Metroidvania with a huge amount of content. I played the demo for 90 minutes (still not done), and it put me at 3% map completion and 4% items.
But you need to be strong enough to handle the anime.

e:

GhostDog posted:

Riccitiello is out at Unity. Probably took responsibility for his fuckup. And by responsibility I mean a big sack of money.

Looks like it's around $26 million, according to this
https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0001810806/ab96d3bf-3c33-462a-b630-bb3a9320cc84.pdf
(page 61)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 9, 2023

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

another demo/wishlist recommendation Cobalt Core https://store.steampowered.com/app/2179850/Cobalt_Core/

Tom Francis seems already sold on it

Tom Francis posted:

Get excited about Cobalt Core! It's FTL meets Slay the Spire, with charming writing, lovely art, and its own elegant twist on combat. I've played the beta for 50 hours, will for many more.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GhostDog posted:

He’s out but it looks like he’s being replaced by some private equity ghoul.

https://twitter.com/maxkriegervg/status/1711506456925610333?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

mystes
May 31, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

He’s out but it looks like he’s being replaced by some private equity ghoul.

https://twitter.com/maxkriegervg/status/1711506456925610333?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw
lol I wonder if they got rid of him not because the new pricing model was bad but because he ended up backtracking on it

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Fine I'm downloading World, god, fine, stop harassing me

This was me reading this thread just now. I had fun with the Hunting Horn and Insect Glaive when I played it a couple years ago.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Unlucky7 posted:

The demo definitely seems built as an entirely separate thing from the main game, aside from the story cutscenes I guess, so I wouldn't bet on it. Talos 1 did something similar.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hahahaha, apparently Unity's CEO is stepping down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

No way