Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

My end goal is my side business taking off enough that I can quit my studio job. That plan keeps me going. In the meantime getting paid from both is nice.

I am pro side hustle, just not pro people who say "side hustle" I think I've painted myself into a corner here

The worst corporate business thing I did when I was younger without thinking about the consequences was when I had an awful--but not as awful as theirs--job listening to customer service calls after the fact to see if they did their job.

I just noted a guy who was on his break took a call and noted 'this is not relevant, he's just working on his own thing.' And that got the guy fired somehow. Like, gently caress. I got fired by myself too I guess because that was not a thing I was willing to keep doing.

ACAB at least once included me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have two cell phones and two laptops and no land line but I guess they could probably read everything I type on the guest wifi but also I don't think they care enough to go that far on people.

I'm basically on call every hour of my day, in the last two weeks I had exactly TWO uninterrupted "quiet hours" so firing me for working on something else while working is basically a matter of philosophy at this point.

Also everyone has a side hustle even the execs here.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I love coffee but I limit myself to one maaaaybe 2 cups a day. It's an expensive habit.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Braksgirl posted:

I love coffee but I limit myself to one maaaaybe 2 cups a day. It's an expensive habit.

How? A $12 bag of coffee beans lasts me like a month.

I'm a one cup per day guy tho.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kiimo posted:

I have two cell phones and two laptops and no land line but I guess they could probably read everything I type on the guest wifi but also I don't think they care enough to go that far on people.

I'm basically on call every hour of my day, in the last two weeks I had exactly TWO uninterrupted "quiet hours" so firing me for working on something else while working is basically a matter of philosophy at this point.

Also everyone has a side hustle even the execs here.

At my previous job, I frequently worked a second job while on the clock for my actual job for the entire four years that I was there. Like you, they either never noticed or never cared enough to call me out on it. If this thread has taught me anything, it's that IT professionals are too over-worked and jaded to go out of their way if no one is causing a security problem with such activities :v:

If only our economic system didn't incentivize double-dipping in order to get ahead (the money I made doing this went exclusively into paying off my student loans) but hey what do I know.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I drink between 1-3 cups of tea a day. Coffee is my “gently caress, I feel like poo poo, gotta wake up” option. And then I generally only have one cup/latte/mocha/whatever.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I drink waaay too much coffee every day but honestly a big steaming cup of black coffee on a work morning is like maybe my favorite thing on earth.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Love me some coffee. I think most of it is having a hot drink to help wake me up because caffeine really doesn’t do a ton for me. I don’t take it super seriously and just eye ball it, but sometimes I just happen to get it just right and get that “drat that’s a good rear end cup of coffee” morning

Braksgirl posted:

Yeahhh, I had my favorite $7.99 store brand coffee I loved that I was rocking for like 2 years and now it’s like $10.99 on sale. Now I’m on that Aldi poo poo. I do a French press a day which is like 2.5-3 cups depending on the mug and a bag lasts me about a week.

Also we popped into our local tea shop, we don’t really do tea, but I got this Vienna Breakfast black tea and that poo poo is delicious.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Today I had a cup of coffee, a Celcius before hitting the gym, an almond milk pumpkin spice latte as there's a Starbucks next to work, and then a cherry Coke Zero.

I think I should just do crack.

In other news:

Stir fried some beef & veggies. Roasted some purple cauliflower too to replace the rice.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

triple espresso iced vanilla latte no sweetener I don't care if it's fru fru I loving love it

this is practically my afternoon drink at the shop by work, triple iced americano with a shot of vanilla and a splash of half and half

it's called a taylor swift.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Before kids my favorite time was waking up on a Sunday morning when it is cool out, sipping a cup of coffee and puttering around the house for like 5 hours until my wife woke up. Now I am still up 5 hours before my wife is up, but so are the kids so it is not relaxing at all.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’m high and made a Dutch Baby for first time cause the kids were watching the Christmas episode of Bobs Burgers where they get run down by the candy cane truck. Linda saying Dutch Baby over and over planted something in my head.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

a neat cape posted:

I loving guzzle Pure Leaf Unsweetened tea. It's a problem.

It really is the best, isn't it? I loved using it to both hydrate me and microdose my caffeine throughout the day.

Gold Peak loving sucks.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I really like coffee and drink anywhere between 2 - 5 cups throughout the day. iced coffee for most of the year because of how hot it is here in austin, drip in the colder months. And the few days a week I work out of a coffee shop I'll also drink a cortado -- the best way to drink coffee imo.

I'll also put in a grinds pouch on the evenings that I'm in the pottery studio. One of the few things I miss about being a smoker is enjoying a cigarette with coffee to start the day.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 10, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
e: whoops wrong thread

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love tea, drank it British style with milk for 30 years. Also love coffee, I make myself a half caf latte with breakfast every day.

Thai tea is just black tea with vanilla and food coloring added, btw, so it's easy to make if you have that at home. I like to make it with condensed milk, it doesn't take much to get the right milky sweetness

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cup of tea or a cuppa is pretty common out here. I switched to tea for over a year when I first quit caffeine but my schedule of getting up at 5 to work out got me crawling back.

I just try not to go crazy and avoid any caffeine after 12 though.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Maybe have had 5 cups of coffee over my entire lifetime

Tea tho. Twice a week minimum

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
the smell of coffee and the taste of coffee is one of the widest gaps I can think of, for me.

Tastes like sewer water but goddamn it smells heavenly

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If coffee tasted half as good as it smells it'd still taste pretty bad.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Hot coffee, I can take or leave.

But iced coffee is heaven in a glass.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Coffee does not actually have to taste bitter but unfortunately most coffee is made badly and the bitterness is then masked with sugar and or cream/milk.

Also default coffee is dark roast which is the most likely to have a burnt flavor. It's not the right thing to introduce someone to coffee imo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Coffee does not actually have to taste bitter but unfortunately most coffee is made badly and the bitterness is then masked with sugar and or cream/milk.

Also default coffee is dark roast which is the most likely to have a burnt flavor. It's not the right thing to introduce someone to coffee imo.

I always liken it to beer. They're all in the same ball park but there's pretty marked differences and if you get a poo poo one your first go round you might not be a fan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

greetings from the land of tea, green tea is great (and I try to use that straight/unsweetened instead of more sugary stuff, whether bottled or out at restaurants) and we do Barley tea a lot cold around the house with meals. That one is caffeine free and we just drop a teabag into a 1 liter pitcher of water and you're good to go. A bougie Singaporean tea brand is one of the splurges my wife likes to make, they do a lot that's great hot or cold.

Coffee is wonderful, I need to French press more regularly. Might be time to get beans again. Sugar free Red Bull is for emergency uses, which have happened more recently since the baby likes to get me up at 5 am or so and my wife never gets up for that early shift.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Barley tea is pretty OP. I was introduced to it by my sister's ex and it's a nice non-caffeinated option. I like it warm but I can dig it for those that drink it cold.

Meanwhile it's 4am PST and I'm up for no drat reason, so guess I'm doubling down on caffeine around 1pm today. :sludgepal:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lifting weights and drinking coffee ama

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

Lifting weights and drinking coffee ama

Hot or cold? I drink a cup of coffee just before hitting the gym and IMO it's the best pre-workout for me.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

Hot or cold? I drink a cup of coffee just before hitting the gym and IMO it's the best pre-workout for me.

Hot natch. Especially with fall hitting WNC like a freight train.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

a neat cape posted:

the smell of coffee and the taste of coffee is one of the widest gaps I can think of, for me.

Tastes like sewer water but goddamn it smells heavenly

My wife is in the same boat and she's become a tea nerd. Wth is a "rooibos" anyway?

About 10 years ago I started getting heart palpitations when I had a lot of caffeine and I'm fairly certain it had something to do with stress from my job/being overworked but I avoid caffeine now. Decaf isn't as good and doesn't come in anywhere near the variety of regular. :(

On the plus side, I chatted about Zelda with the dude behind the counter at the convenience store I stop by for my cup every morning and dude just says "no, yeah were good," if he sees I only have a cup of coffee.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 10, 2023

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Rooibos is herbal tea, it's got a somewhat similar flavor to black tea so it's used as a non-caffeinated substitute a lot of the time

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
All y’all’s talk about tea made me drink some sleepy time tea before bed and I slept like a rock

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Thai tea is just black tea with vanilla and food coloring added, btw, so it's easy to make if you have that at home. I like to make it with condensed milk, it doesn't take much to get the right milky sweetness

You're the second person I've seen recently who claims that Thai tea has food coloring, but we've never had to color it at home and it still takes on an orange appearance after brewing. I'll try to look at the leaves we use for it. Maybe they just dye and flavor it in stores.

harperdc posted:

Coffee is wonderful, I need to French press more regularly. Might be time to get beans again. Sugar free Red Bull is for emergency uses, which have happened more recently since the baby likes to get me up at 5 am or so and my wife never gets up for that early shift.

Sup SFRB bud. I like the taste of sugar-free more than regular and I'm not entirely sure why.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Sup SFRB bud. I like the taste of sugar-free more than regular and I'm not entirely sure why.

in the summer, when my little one decided to keep waking up over the night and I got absolute awful sleep, I kept rotating between regular and sugar free Red Bulls, and it was the regular one that gave me a bit too much of a kick for whatever reason. taste is fine for me, maybe a bit cut compared to the fully leaded version, but it's the effects I'm more worried about.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Rooibos is herbal tea, it's got a somewhat similar flavor to black tea so it's used as a non-caffeinated substitute a lot of the time

yep, we did it a fair bit when the missus was pregnant and was avoiding caffeine, and I'll also drink (bottled, cold) rooibos sometimes as well. not a bad option.

also forgot this the first time but that orange Thai milk tea is amazing.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Make coffee with an Aeropress to cut down on the bitterness.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, and it’s frustratingly difficult going to the literal half-aisle long wall of coffee at the grocery store and 98% of it is dark or medium roast, and of the 5 light roast options, 3 are pre-ground. And going to an actual coffee shop is just out of the question, I’m not paying $20 for a bag of coffee that has like 10 cups worth of beans.

a sexual elk posted:

I’m high and made a Dutch Baby for first time cause the kids were watching the Christmas episode of Bobs Burgers where they get run down by the candy cane truck. Linda saying Dutch Baby over and over planted something in my head.

Hell yeah, Dutch Babies rule Not you Max Verstappen

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

T-Square posted:

Hell yeah, Dutch Babies rule Not you Max Verstappen

Hahaha.

Just had some coffee, food, and Tylenol to attempt to stave off the side effects from getting both the COVID and flu shots yesterday. I have a fifth date tonight with a woman who gets up at like 6:30 every day without an alarm and never drinks coffee, and I am flabbergasted

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Make coffee with an Aeropress to cut down on the bitterness.

I love my little Aeropress, probably wouldn’t suit if anyone else in the house drank coffee but it’s such good quality for so little effort. I’m drinking an Americano right now!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’d like to work my job that I dislike maybe 10 more years and then maybe find something a bit more relaxed if there’s a world or a self left by then.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Hahaha.

Just had some coffee, food, and Tylenol to attempt to stave off the side effects from getting both the COVID and flu shots yesterday. I have a fifth date tonight with a woman who gets up at like 6:30 every day without an alarm and never drinks coffee, and I am flabbergasted

I'm up stupid early (usually 5-6am) before my alarm goes off. I just surmised that when my brain starts working it goes "Oh? We're awake? Have all this adrenaline in your system!" Then I'm out of bed like a rocket. The coffee I have in the morning is for when the adrenaline wears off but I still need that pre-workout power when I go to the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I splurged on an espresso machine last year and then got a nice grinder as a Christmas present. Nothing like a cortado or macchiato to kick the day off