Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

mycot posted:

Wasn't the reaction to the anime being announced "well if nothing else at least we'll get a good OP out of it" and then the OP wasn't even very good.

That sounds about right. The P3 and P4 anime soundtracks were great, especially when they just let Lotus Juice do whatever the hell he wanted.

EDIT: paying the snipe tax with a bop https://youtu.be/QOEzemAj6q8?si=kWIaY4ET-9YVtqE3

blossommirage fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I was so disappointed in the P5A openings.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this one was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6LD_czS8s

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/DawnMBennettVA/status/1711555844071153937

Look at this weird thing the voice actors did

e: I'm gonna assume Aleks took the picture and that's why he had to photoshop himself into it

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I almost dislike that OP because it shows so much potential for cool imagery and they just went with the most normal-rear end presentation possible for the episodes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yeah the animation they use for the actual bulk of the run is nowhere near that cool

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
wait are we talking OP animation quality or OP song quality because I thought Dark Sun ruled as a song

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

a good song can't save a bad opening, just make people go 'drat, this song deserved better'

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

P3R Yukari trailer

So the clip that sent everyone into a tizzy about a remake months ago was actually her Theurgy attack.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Both of the Persona 5 anime openings are cool, song and animation included.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
All I remember about the P5 anime was fujos getting excited with Ryuji calling the MC Renren

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Arist posted:

It's faithful to the point of excess. If you've played the game, it's incredibly boring. If you haven't, you're just experiencing a worse version of the major beats that is also incredibly boring. I don't love all the changes made in the P4 anime, but that version was at least additive and offered a new take on the material in a lot of ways. P5A just has nothing to offer.

Also it looks like absolute poo poo a lot of the time.

Yeah, the P4 anime at least played with its stuff and had a few fun moments (integrating the "Ai fake boyfriend arc", the episode where Nanako goes full detective on Yu's million sidequesting and links).

Funnily enough I checked the staff and the director is the same one that did the Carnival Phantasm OVA, Assassination Classroom and Asobi Asobase while also doing Devil Survivor 2, Danganronpa and Classroom of the Elite so my take is that the parts that worked in the Persona 4 anime were because the director seems much better at comedies than other kinds of anime (yeah I know all those anime probably have different screenwriters and such, but from a general point of direction it stands)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, the P4 anime at least played with its stuff and had a few fun moments (integrating the "Ai fake boyfriend arc", the episode where Nanako goes full detective on Yu's million sidequesting and links).

Funnily enough I checked the staff and the director is the same one that did the Carnival Phantasm OVA, Assassination Classroom and Asobi Asobase while also doing Devil Survivor 2, Danganronpa and Classroom of the Elite so my take is that the parts that worked in the Persona 4 anime were because the director seems much better at comedies than other kinds of anime (yeah I know all those anime probably have different screenwriters and such, but from a general point of direction it stands)

He is very good at comedy, and shouldn't really be pushed to do full action series. Astro Fighter Sunred was genius.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Neeksy posted:

He is very good at comedy, and shouldn't really be pushed to do full action series. Astro Fighter Sunred was genius.

The most baffling thing is (and to stay closer to on topic), Devil Survivor 2 should have been a great fit for him, the protag has some of the absolutely goofiest dialogue choices in MegaTen and there are plenty of funny moments to contrast the darker apocalyptic parts.

But for some reason the anime turned out into a meh Evangelion clone where they went full dramatic and kept killing most of the cast.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The latest P3R trailer expounds a bit more on the extracurricular activities the MC can do with the Social Links.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You can watch DVDs with Koromaru? Hell yeah.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

drat Persona 5 is stressful after starting out 4 with a loving family and Yosuke and Chie as your friends.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I played 5 first, and upon starting 4 and hearing Dojima call the protagonist handsome in pretty much his first line I nearly broke down in tears.

Inaba's so comfy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shyrka posted:

I played 5 first, and upon starting 4 and hearing Dojima call the protagonist handsome in pretty much his first line I nearly broke down in tears.

Inaba's so comfy.

You get to actually live with your Anime Dad in this game instead of being shoved into an attic in some other building.

More seriously, Inaba is an amazing location. It's almost a character in its own right. It has struggles, an arc it's going through, possible resolutions depending on your ending. I think even people who prefer 3 and 5 tend to say Inaba is the best location because it gets so much more focus and personality than the island or Tokyo.

Coxswain Balls posted:

drat Persona 5 is stressful after starting out 4 with a loving family and Yosuke and Chie as your friends.

I read a billion arguments about P3 and 4 after I played them. Some folks prefer SEES because of the friction of the group. It's not an informal team of BFFs, it's a military group with cliques and deep animosity between several characters. That's all good. But when I jumped into 4 and everybody immediately loved me and Yu and Yosuke and Chie had a ton of fun banter, I think I knew right from then on I'd love the Investigation Team way more.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Huh, I enjoyed the Investigation Team quite a lot, but I never really fell for Inaba and absolutely hated the Dojima household.

Not Nanako, obviously, she is perfect in every way, but Dojima and the vibes he brought.

You obviously don't get to bond with Tokyo in the same way, but P5 is full of random NPCs living their lives and I appreciate them all.

As for Sojiro (minor P5 spoiler) it took me like two in-game days to realize he secretly cares and is trying to look out for you with his corny tough love lectures.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I appreciate Inaba's atmosphere and vibe, and it's story arc over the course of the game is indeed compelling.

As a game world, it felt a lot more limiting than even base P5, much less the expanded Tokyo in Royal.

The respective households? P5 by a mile. Sojiro's tough guy act gets exposed literally within days when he loving melts over Morgana, and unlike Dojima or Zenkichi, he's not running away from his child.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Sojiro being disappointed at not getting to name Morgana is the cutest loving thing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Huh, I enjoyed the Investigation Team quite a lot, but I never really fell for Inaba and absolutely hated the Dojima household.

Not Nanako, obviously, she is perfect in every way, but Dojima and the vibes he brought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6EJoeVrdEw

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm biased towards the inaka so Inaba was always going to be my favorite.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

As someone who grew up rural-adjacent I can’t imagine anyone wanting to set a game in the sticks rather than the coolest city in the world

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Port Island is the weakest of the 3 settings but it has one of the best SLs ever in Akinari, so.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wouldn't call Inaba (or at least the real life town its based on) the sticks, myself

It's got like three times the population of even where I live

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Japan is dense, is the thing

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

true

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
The San'in region where Inaba would probably be located isn't really "nowheresville" compared to certain parts of America imo. There is population and even tourist attractions (one of which is Yomotsu Hirasaka), but San'in still spans the least 2 populated prefectures of Japan, there's one major train station with one train per hour, there are unmanned stations where it's an honor system whether you paid or not, the trains are 1-2 cars max with a single operator, IC cards mostly don't work there, strangers would come up and talk to me. It's very, very different than Tokyo and Kobe / Iwatodai, but it's still Japan.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

DC Murderverse posted:

As someone who grew up rural-adjacent I can’t imagine anyone wanting to set a game in the sticks rather than the coolest city in the world

Betraying a complete lack of imagination or empathy with your posts ftw

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As a city-slicker myself I never felt much attachment to Inaba either.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i hate the city, sorry

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound
Got places to go
Gotta follow my rainbow
Can't stick around, have to keep movin' on

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think you have to be a country person to appreciate Inaba; P4 does a very good job of making it seem cozy.

I imagine it's possible to end up missing a lot of city comforts there (and you could get a little bored), but teenagers like the P4 crew would probably do fine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't think you have to be a country person to appreciate Inaba; P4 does a very good job of making it seem cozy.

I imagine it's possible to end up missing a lot of city comforts there (and you could get a little bored), but teenagers like the P4 crew would probably do fine.

Also, because it's Japan, a decent-sized city is only a relatively short train (or moped in P4's case) ride away (in this case Okina).

If someone has only lived in a place like America, it can be hard to grasp just how dense Japan is. The actual physical distance between the "countryside" and (relatively) urban areas usually isn't very far.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I once spent the summer with my uncle in the suburbs, and while I didn't especially hate it when I was there, once I finally got back home and was surrounded by tall buildings and anything I could ever want being only a few minutes away it was like waking up from a coma.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Cities are loud, smelly, big, claustrophobic, have too many peoples, and just too much aural stimulation all around

I can't stand it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I like about the smaller Japanese towns (and I'm sure this applies to a number of other countries as well) is that they're often still walk-able (and definitely bike-able, but it's also usually reasonable to walk places).

In the US, you basically need a car in the vast majority of rural/suburban environments (or a willingness to spend a long time on bike).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

New video about Junpei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijU8Lt5sXfY

Gonna be honest - don't like his English VA. Wasn't his original English VA some sort of sex pest or something, so now it's someone new?