Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I may or may not have taken a train for 30 minutes, walked an hour, bought chips and salsa, and then did the trip in reverse.

For a couple bags of lovely tostitos chips and salsa.

Also, thanksgiving and christmas dinners at the new sanno were the best. Absolute best. Thank you for your service (of getting me in for dinner) o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

No you should absolutely not knock yourself out with a cocktail of downers on a 14 hour airplane flight lol like what

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Why is that, exactly? I’m not quite ‘knocked out’ - it’s more like a pleasant fog for 8 or so hours. The dose of lorazepam is something low, like 1mg. I’ve done it the same way for 10 years now and it’s great.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 7, 2023

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Tell us you’re American without telling us.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Being trapped on a plane is the only place my anxiety-addled brain will willingly accept ‘don’t bother worrying about anything because nothing is in your control’ as an option and I get to chill the gently caress out for however long the flight lasts.

It’s a very relaxing feeling.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As a tall who can't sleep I hate planes, but I just accept going in I'm going to be awake for the next 36 hours and make sure I have Steam in offline mode.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Mister Chief posted:

Tell us you’re American without telling us.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I was joined yesterday by my friends, and apparently they forgot their JR rail pass vouchers.

I let them know that there's a bus from Tokyo to Osaka that's cheap, but it's like 8 hours long. See ya when I see ya. They are trying to get them sent here ASAP but it won't be here til like Wednesday and it may be after we check out of the Airbnb that they show up. If.

I think they are resolved to just buy new ones if push comes to shove (at the new rate!) so just sharing so y'all can enjoy the schadenfreude.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

rekt

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
lmao.

have you told them it's pretty easy to just go spend $100 on a shink ticket? Or if they packed light, $40 for a flight?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

owned

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Mister Chief posted:

Tell us they’re American without telling us.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
lol

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Just fly it's not worth the trouble

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

lmao.

have you told them it's pretty easy to just go spend $100 on a shink ticket? Or if they packed light, $40 for a flight?

Where would the fun be in that?

Edit: yeah that's probably what I'd actually recommend vs having them get on a bus. But it's funnier if they think they'll need to spend a grand on more jr passes.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
A lot of youtubers/ instagrammers etc seem to be keen to convince people that overnight intercity busses in Japan are a cool experience that saves money and doesn't suck. I'm not sure if it's a prank or if they're being paid off.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I'd bet paid off. If you just did an international flight where you say on your but for 12+ hours and then someone told you to sit on a bus for 8 or more you'd have to be crazy to say 'yes that sounds good!'

I don't mind quirky experiences but that wouldn't be on my list of things to try.

Edit: my butt couldn't take that kind of punishment, and we'd have to talk about money at that point.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 8, 2023

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

slinkimalinki posted:

A lot of youtubers/ instagrammers etc seem to be keen to convince people that overnight intercity busses in Japan are a cool experience that saves money and doesn't suck. I'm not sure if it's a prank or if they're being paid off.

I'm almost completely convinced that most big foreign social media people doing videos on X thing in Japan are just paid by the Japanese department of tourism.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Save $15 in just 330 minutes!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

slinkimalinki posted:

It's cool to watch on youtube and incredibly boring in reality. To be honest at current prices the Shinkansen isn't even a novelty worth doing if you can fly

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 9, 2023

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Shammypants posted:

It's cool to watch on youtube and incredibly boring in reality. To be honest at current prices the Shinkansen isn't even a novelty worth doing if you can fly

Absolutely never take overnight busses, agreed. However I'm not even considering an airplane unless the shinkansen trip is over 3 hours.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's no scenario where I'm getting on a plane when a train is an option.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It may just be that I'm a jaded long-term resident, but there are some very cheap and convenient domestic flights now that are hard to overlook.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Pay $60 for a 25 minute plane flight or $120 for a 3 hour Shinkansen ride and I’m going plane every time

Trains lost their wow factor for me years ago, now it’s just a slower metal tube

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Where are you going that a 25 minute flight takes 3 hours by bullet train

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The flight itself might only be 25 minutes, but factor in all the extra rigmarole of security and queues etc. that aren't present by just hopping on a train.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are more local normal-speed trains an option for shorter hops? Like Fukuoka->Hiroshima->Himeji->Osaka or something like that. Or are there buses on these types of routes?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shinjuku to Shin-Osaka by train: 3 hours direct.

Shinjuku to Shin-Osaka by plane: 45 minutes to get to Haneda, 30 minutes to check in and walk to the gate and get seated, 65 minutes to fly (JAL HND-ITM), 20 minutes to get back out of the airport, 30 minutes to Shin-Osaka. Total 3 hours 10 minutes.

Turns out a 3 hour train ride is faster than a 1 hour flight after all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nielsm posted:

Shinjuku to Shin-Osaka by train: 3 hours direct.

Shinjuku isn’t a Shinkansen stop, so where are you suggesting people jump on the fast train.

mobby_6kl posted:

Are more local normal-speed trains an option for shorter hops? Like Fukuoka->Hiroshima->Himeji->Osaka or something like that. Or are there buses on these types of routes?

Fukuoka <> Hiroshima is an easy breezy Shinkansen ride, why over-complicate things. The rest of those are all Sanyo Shinkansen stops too.

Gabriel Grub posted:

It may just be that I'm a jaded long-term resident, but there are some very cheap and convenient domestic flights now that are hard to overlook.

If it requires going to Narita, no chance.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

harperdc posted:

Shinjuku isn’t a Shinkansen stop, so where are you suggesting people jump on the fast train.

Busted.
But taking a local train to Shinagawa to catch the Shinkansen still makes it a better deal time-wise.
Another advantage of the train is that you have many more daily departures, so much easier to plan around.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

harperdc posted:

If it requires going to Narita, no chance.

no one would fly domestically from narita unless you live in chiba

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Skymark alone has at least half a dozen departures a day from Haneda to most of the major domestic airports. I find that easy enough to plan around.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

harperdc posted:

Fukuoka <> Hiroshima is an easy breezy Shinkansen ride, why over-complicate things. The rest of those are all Sanyo Shinkansen stops too.
I've read about the JR pass price increase so I probably won't be getting it and hoping to avoid too much :homebrew:

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

no one would fly domestically from narita unless you live in chiba

Plenty of LCC routes only fly out of Narita. Even with the extra transport cost it can still be more economical (vs. Haneda, not referencing Shinkansen journies at all).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

nielsm posted:

Busted.
But taking a local train to Shinagawa to catch the Shinkansen still makes it a better deal time-wise.
Another advantage of the train is that you have many more daily departures, so much easier to plan around.

Shinkansen is my waifu

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I've read about the JR pass price increase so I probably won't be getting it and hoping to avoid too much :homebrew:

This is searching on a local train app, from Hakata (the main station in Fukuoka) to Hiroshima.

The top three results are all local train options to go from Fukuoka to Hiroshima, and the shortest time listed is almost 6 hours, and almost 6,000 yen.

The bottom shows the Shinkansen for the same route is 1 hour and 8,500 yen.

Don’t over-think it.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah when people talk about the JR pass price increase they mean the 2-week ones where it's not worth it unless you're travelling long distances every couple of days. You should still use the shinkansen between cities.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

Trains lost their wow factor for me years ago, now it’s just a slower metal tube

The Shinkansen at the current rates is one of the most overhyped experiences for a tourist in Japan. Food options are bad, coffee is bad, the ride itself is just fine on most routes with views that are no better or worse than other countries. It doesn't *feel* that fast and it isn't luxurious, even in slightly better cars (which is a near total waste of money). There are Amtrak trains with a more premium feel, quite a few actually.

That it gets you somewhere on time (mostly) in a decent amount of time, with little security is cool and good but otherwise, mid.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Japan: Shinkansens are mid