Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I mean, this could be reenactment of the Chen Shui Bian fake assassination.

Also, lol.

edit, there is a parade float of Indira Gandhi's assassination in the twitter reply.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

shinzo getting blown away by a science fair project is pretty funny and worth re-enacting just for the comedic value

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

i say swears online posted:

oh i just remembered running across an IDF teen at a hostel in oaxaca. it was just her saying super racist stuff while the rest of the international backpacker hippies at the table called her a piece of poo poo. she started crying and ran to her room

not really her fault but still lol cause she said what she said

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i say swears online posted:

oh i just remembered running across an IDF teen at a hostel in oaxaca. it was just her saying super racist stuff while the rest of the international backpacker hippies at the table called her a piece of poo poo. she started crying and ran to her room

lol

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Pomeroy posted:

It's just an extension of the Larouche Op, these guys are all in good with the Schiller Institute glowies, they're even getting into bed with the Moonies too now.

you have autism

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Today I learnt South Korea had 5-year plans, 5 plans under the authoritarian governments, and 2 plans under democratic government. Last one ended in 1996, I just assume by that time SK had too much American FDI and they told them to knock it off.

edit: oh yeah, joined the IMF in 1995.

the united states literally twisted the arms of all the presidential candidates in 1997 to make sure that they did austerity measures when by sheer dumb luck the east asian financial crisis was unfolding at the same time as the election

god its hard to believe that hardly five years ago there was a major domestic film about this south koreas balls just straight up disappeared over the last five years id call it a eunuch country but eunuchs have political instincts its a bit of an unfair slam against eunuchs tbh

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

the united states literally twisted the arms of all the presidential candidates in 1997 to make sure that they did austerity measures when by sheer dumb luck the east asian financial crisis was unfolding at the same time as the election

god its hard to believe that hardly five years ago there was a major domestic film about this south koreas balls just straight up disappeared over the last five years id call it a eunuch country but eunuchs have political instincts its a bit of an unfair slam against eunuchs tbh

imagine being a frothing South Korean nationalist electing your blood and soil guy and then getting footage of him singing American pie to the delight of twee dem party lanyards with their hogwarts house pins and Hamilton stickers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most right wing politics is basically about doing the exact opposite of what you claim to do and no more obvious is it when frothing blood and soil nationalists are always the first choice for colonial puppets.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Also yeah the US was far more emotionally invested in cuba for a long time before it even reached the pacific coast. Wonder why the US didn't just formally annex cuba - if nothing else because the country was right next door.

i would guess for some generally insane early twentieth century political reason like the concern that cuban senators might be against pensions for the widows of veterans who worked on railroads

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

every time someone claims this i always wonder if theyre coming to this conclusion mostly by talking people who can speak english not really stopping to wonder whether there might be a correlation between these two things that isnt reflected in the general population

oh yeah and dont forget the potential impact on big ice whose power among great american businesses will only increase if we add more warm weather states

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

every time someone claims this i always wonder if theyre coming to this conclusion mostly by talking people who can speak english not really stopping to wonder whether there might be a correlation between these two things that isnt reflected in the general population

oh yeah and dont forget the potential impact on big ice whose power among great american businesses will only increase if we add more warm weather states

English is that meme virus from Snowcrash

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FrancisFukyomama posted:

imagine being a frothing South Korean nationalist electing your blood and soil guy and then getting footage of him singing American pie to the delight of twee dem party lanyards with their hogwarts house pins and Hamilton stickers

They loving love America.

The most insane right wing supporters will hold both South Korean and USA flags.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

hardly five years ago there was a major domestic film about this

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ_dJ-FsbVg

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

yep thats the one structures really neat three interconnected stories ones a regular guy trying to get a loan to expand his small business anothers a woman in a regulatory agency trying to figure out wtfs going on with the governments extremely sus reactions to the unfolding crisis and the third is a stock broker who realizes the crash is incoming because of what international investors are doing and goes rogue to pitch a bunch of his clients on betting that everythings going to hell in a handbasket because the governments official story is a lie

some of the reviews compared it to the big short which is really unfair imo for one thing all of the perspective characters in the big short are stock brokers and thats only a third of default and for another thing the stock broker in default is explicitly an american psycho style nutjob default doesnt do the big shorts bullshit of taking these guys at their word that they totally tried to stop the crisis they just unhappily accepted getting filthy rich as a consolation prize

i should note that i can say with zero exaggeration that the east asian financial crisis is probably the single most formative event in terms of the modern south korean nation state like even moreso than the democratization in 1987 and its probably the actual reason why the suicide rate started to spike not whatever racist bullshit youve heard from people who arent me on the subject so its very much worth watching

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1711261296962793720

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

oh no, did he even set his glasses forward while the photographer documented his phone call?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't think the new ME war has anything to do with Russia or China, it was mainly triggered by the Saudi Israel deal. But with this war being so intense, there is no way Biden has the energy to fight tech war with Beijing.

Also STFU chuck.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

stephenthinkpad posted:

It was mainly triggered by the Saudi Israel deal

How so?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

What a Saudi-Israeli Deal Could Mean for the Palestinians
This article was posted 1 week ago

"Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, but another radical effort is getting much less attention. Members of Netanyahu’s far-right cabinet seek nothing less than the de facto annexation of the West Bank. If they get their way, it could have a profound effect on the democratic nature of Israel and on the stability of the Middle East.

When Netanyahu brought two extreme, ultranationalist parties—the Religious Zionist Party and the Jewish Home Party—into his ruling coalition, he effectively handed control of his government to two ideologues: Itamar Ben-Gvir, who is minister of national security, and Bezalel Smotrich, who is finance minister but who has also been given a special role in the defense ministry. For them, curbing the independence of Israel’s judiciary is just one way, albeit an important one, to facilitate their real agenda: the creation of a Jewish state from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea by settling much of the West Bank, snuffing out Palestinian national aspirations, and, in the words of Smotrich, “encouraging” the Palestinians to relocate to other Arab countries, including neighboring Jordan.

Most rational people would be quick to dismiss this idea as delusional—there are 3.5 million Palestinians in the West Bank, and 40 percent of the territory is under the control of the Palestinian Authority. Destroying the PA and forcing West Bank Palestinians to leave their homes would cause a huge international furor and a profound crisis in U.S.-Israeli relations. Incorporating the Palestinians into the Jewish state would render Jews a minority ruling over a majority of second-class noncitizens and provide fuel to those critics of Israel who decry it as an “apartheid state.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, but another radical effort is getting much less attention. Members of Netanyahu’s far-right cabinet seek nothing less than the de facto annexation of the West Bank. If they get their way, it could have a profound effect on the democratic nature of Israel and on the stability of the Middle East.

When Netanyahu brought two extreme, ultranationalist parties—the Religious Zionist Party and the Jewish Home Party—into his ruling coalition, he effectively handed control of his government to two ideologues: Itamar Ben-Gvir, who is minister of national security, and Bezalel Smotrich, who is finance minister but who has also been given a special role in the defense ministry. For them, curbing the independence of Israel’s judiciary is just one way, albeit an important one, to facilitate their real agenda: the creation of a Jewish state from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea by settling much of the West Bank, snuffing out Palestinian national aspirations, and, in the words of Smotrich, “encouraging” the Palestinians to relocate to other Arab countries, including neighboring Jordan.

Most rational people would be quick to dismiss this idea as delusional—there are 3.5 million Palestinians in the West Bank, and 40 percent of the territory is under the control of the Palestinian Authority. Destroying the PA and forcing West Bank Palestinians to leave their homes would cause a huge international furor and a profound crisis in U.S.-Israeli relations. Incorporating the Palestinians into the Jewish state would render Jews a minority ruling over a majority of second-class noncitizens and provide fuel to those critics of Israel who decry it as an “apartheid state.”

But Smotrich, the leader of the Religious Zionist Party, is rapidly turning this dark fantasy into reality. Netanyahu has afforded Smotrich a special title—minister within the Ministry of Defense—under his actual defense minister, Yoav Gallant, as well as many of the powers needed to initiate the de facto annexation of territory in the West Bank. And wearing his other hat, as finance minister, Smotrich has the means to fund his ambitions while blocking money from flowing to the PA.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 10:00 on Oct 9, 2023

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Top City Homo posted:

you have autism

If you're trying to say just knowing who those freaks are is autism, fair. If you're saying that it's autism to find something inorganic in the phenomenon, you're either dishonest or a rube.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1711358555331113055?s=20

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1711344506551841174?s=20

lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:qq:

How can you not sympathize with a apartheid nation

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Cao Ni Ma posted:

:qq:

How can you not sympathize with a apartheid nation

we’ve already established that China favoring the rights of a Muslim minority is genocide so really China by sympathizing with the Palestinians is promoting genocide of Palestine AND Israel. quite insidious

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Nothing much to say except the BJP got owned in the Ladakh council elections. This after they split kashmir apart into different states.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eSports Chaebol posted:

we’ve already established that China favoring the rights of a Muslim minority is genocide so really China by sympathizing with the Palestinians is promoting genocide of Palestine AND Israel. quite insidious

i know you are joking but how many turns did your brain spun in the bony case to write this

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ShanghaiMacro/status/1711291278011638161
https://twitter.com/ShanghaiMacro/status/1711291283892035711

president xi inflicting psychic damage to neoliberal economists by financing industry to build more stuff instead of pumping financial speculation

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
where can i buy a chinese EV

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Psycho Society posted:

where can i buy a chinese EV

China

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can simply walk down to the nearest BYD dealership and pick up an electric car

Jokes on me though, I'll never be able to afford a brand new vehicle

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China sells EV in China (half of the world EV market), Australia, Thailand and a bunch in Europe (mostly under Tesla and European brands). I am sure there are some small countries I miss.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If you live in europe then you better get your chinese EV quick because in lieu of actually competing they are just going to tax them to hell so they arent competitive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

eSports Chaebol posted:

Zero State Solution

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If you live in europe then you better get your chinese EV quick because in lieu of actually competing they are just going to tax them to hell so they arent competitive.

the free market of protectionism

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Zero State Solution

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Some Guy TT posted:

sometimes, politics takes balls

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
I'm sure some of you have seen this in the other threads but just in case:

https://twitter.com/geoffrey_cain/status/1711482592078258274

quote:

When I wrote The Perfect Police State, I hoped to help shine a light on the genocide that the world had overlooked, the largest internment of a people since the Holocaust. Now I write with deep disappointment of so many friends in the Muslim Uyghur, Rohingya, and Syrian refugee communities who stand with Hamas, praise the violence against Israeli civilians, and advocate for the genocide of the Jewish people “from the river to the sea.”

Last year, the FBI contacted me to give a talk about the Uyghur genocide and asked for advice on vetting refugee applications. They asked about how to identify spies, saboteurs, and terrorist sympathizers among the sea of legitimate asylum seekers.

You should know better. For those of you who have open asylum applications, I have taken snapshots of your deplorable posts advocating for the death of Israelis. I have sent them to my contacts at the FBI, whose job is to flag asylum candidates for special review and deportation proceedings.

If you stand with terrorist violence and genocide, you are an enemy of the American republic. Becoming a resident and citizen of the United States means embracing the principles of liberal democracy.

@geoffrey_cain
Books: THE PERFECT POLICE STATE, SAMSUNG RISING. Senior Nonresident Fellow
@AtlanticCouncil @ACGeoTech. Certified somm 🥂 and jazz trombonist 🎶

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

crispyseaweed posted:

I'm sure some of you have seen this in the other threads but just in case:

https://twitter.com/geoffrey_cain/status/1711482592078258274

@geoffrey_cain
Books: THE PERFECT POLICE STATE, SAMSUNG RISING. Senior Nonresident Fellow
@AtlanticCouncil @ACGeoTech. Certified somm 🥂 and jazz trombonist 🎶

one of his freak buddies posted this little gem

https://twitter.com/JulieM615/status/1711594585212796942?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I came across this tweet in my feed:

https://twitter.com/rohmerfan1127/status/1711490386001334372

the context, of course, is "how do you stage an uprising against an occupying force without engaging in the kind of behavior that draws condemnation", in reference to the idea that Hamas's fight against Israel this week is "wrong" because of civilian casualties

back in 2021, I wrote this post:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Some local news:

On Sunday, June 6, 2021, a local of the Philippine province of Masbate, by the name of Kieth Absalon, along with two of his companions, were killed by an explosive device (alternately described in media as either an IED or a land mine) that went off while they were riding a bike along a rural road. This was picked up even by non-state media almost immediately, given that Absalon was a locally-popular football player.

The Philippine police immediately identified the perpetrators as the New People's Army, the armed insurgent wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, with whom the police and military have had clashes with in the same region in preceding days.

By Tuesday, June 8, the CPP-NPA issued a statement claiming responsibility for the incident, and issued what amounted to an apology for the incident.

Various groups from across the spectrum of the anticommunist right and human-rights-watching liberals have come out against the alleged insufficiency of the statement, claming that the NPA should identify the specific persons involved, and surrender them to the authorities (as opposed to whatever internal rectification they might undergo inside the party, which the NPA's statement alluded to).

By Wednesday, June 9, members of the Makabayan bloc, a group of left-wing Congressional representatives (who have long been accused of merely being a "legal front" for, and are in-cahoots with, the CPP-NPA), issued a statement condemning the incident.

Reactionaries have come out against the alleged insufficiency of this statement, saying that Makabayan's attempt to deflect the blame for Absalon's death onto the Philippine government for refusing to engage in peace talks and therefore prolonging the insurgency, serves as proof that they are covering for the CPP-NPA, if not directly culpable themselves.

As of today, June 10, Leni Robredo, Vice President and presumptive candidate of the Liberal Party, has issued a condemnation against the incident as well. Notably, her statement makes reference to the use of land-mines as being a violation of the Ottawa Convention/Mine Ban Treaty, and says "No goal or ideology can justify the use of such devices".

now, the Ottawa Convention is an international treaty that applies to state-level actors, which the CPP-NPA clearly isn't, so they could not be a party to such a thing

however, the NPA still does maintain that they abide by the provisions of the treaty, insofar as the land mines that they do use are "command-detonated". Indeed, the reason why the NPA was able to identify specific persons to be held accountable for the killings in 2021 was due to these persons being the ones responsible for detonating the mine that killed Absalon and two others

this did not, and does not, stop the Philippine government and various civil groups and political parties across the spectrum from condemning, and demanding condemnations of, the NPA, for allegedly having violated the Ottawa Conventions

I bring this up because if you tried to explain the above to people, that "the NPA can't be a party to a treaty that only national governments can sign" and "the NPA informally abides by the treaty anyway, but it's not a total ban on mines just because it's called the Mine Ban Treaty", you're going to be smeared as a communist-loving atrocity-apologist

there is no way to "ethically climb out of hell", because the people that put you in that hell, also get to determine the parameters of the discourse such that anything you do is, by definition, unethical

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

there is no way to "ethically climb out of hell", because the people that put you in that hell, also get to determine the parameters of the discourse such that anything you do is, by definition, unethical

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In WW2, the Yugoslav communists followed fairly similar guidelines to Mao's/CPC's. Similar circumstances, similar necessities, since the masses aren't psychos and also tend to appreciate you not acting towards them like the roving gangs of murderous marauders you're fighting and which your enemies claim you too are. And the overall reasoning as on why was fairly similar to NPAs.

But at the end of day,

gradenko_2000 posted: