Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Getting cats fixed isn't exactly quick and easy nowadays, it's not like it used to be, and efforts to curtail wild cats in many places have been more limited of late. Dunno why, but I'm not surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just reanimate the deer and send it on its way, let it deanimate somewhere else

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's a simple incantation, too.

mortuus senex
puer resurget
veni son

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's a simple incantation, too.

mortuus senex
puer resurget
veni son

Wise beyond your years. These words you speak are so, so sau sage.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Just reanimate the deer and send it on its way, let it deanimate somewhere else

It would've been easy to puppeteer too, it's rear end had been conveniently gnawed open overnight.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I once watched a deer walk into our lake in my neighbors back yard. I say neighbor, the house had been empty for renovations for months. Well I say oh cool a deer going for a swim never seem that before…aight better head to work….

…two days later the smell alerted me that deer don’t swim well apparently

I watched a deer commit suicide.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
P.S the deer was thrown into the the nearby woods

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

CarForumPoster posted:

I once watched a deer walk into our lake in my neighbors back yard. I say neighbor, the house had been empty for renovations for months. Well I say oh cool a deer going for a swim never seem that before…aight better head to work….

…two days later the smell alerted me that deer don’t swim well apparently

I watched a deer commit suicide.

Deer are actually really good swimmers. Odds are that it was sick or something. Or it got killed by a predator or something.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Douche4Sale posted:

Deer are actually really good swimmers. Odds are that it was sick or something. Or it got killed by a predator or something.

Something.

In the lake…

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Something.

In the lake…

Why is the neighbors' house empty? Oh they're doing renovations, probably.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Getting cats fixed isn't exactly quick and easy nowadays, it's not like it used to be,

What are you talking about

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It's probably just me.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 10, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Douche4Sale posted:

PainterofCrap posted:

Something.

In the lake…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6MLJG0RdDE

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Johnny Truant posted:

What are you talking about

Modern cats are a lot more complex these days. They’re almost impossible to work on at home, too!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They're just glued together, no user serviceable parts any more :argh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I dunno if it's a trend or not but the vets near me charge $1200 to neuter a pet and you can no longer swing by an ASPCA or some other org during a drive to get it done for a few bucks. We drive 2 hours to a rural vet so we only have to pay $200.

The cheapest vet service I've ever gotten on a pet in recent memory is when our boston terrier escaped for 20 minutes, got snagged by somebody before making it a full block, and the shelter gave her a bath and got her up to date on her shots before we claimed her for only $40.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 10, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

the vets near me charge $1200 to neuter a pet

!!!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just how rude were you to the receptionist? The real price should be ~$200 to $450

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Funny story, my wife said that was a ridiculous price to charge and the receptionist said if we weren't willing to pay then we couldn't afford to responsibly have pets in the first place.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I hope you told them to go gently caress themselves on your way out.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tiny Timbs posted:

I dunno if it's a trend or not but the vets near me charge $1200 to neuter a pet and you can no longer swing by an ASPCA or some other org during a drive to get it done for a few bucks. We drive 2 hours to a rural vet so we only have to pay $200.

The cheapest vet service I've ever gotten on a pet in recent memory is when our boston terrier escaped for 20 minutes, got snagged by somebody before making it a full block, and the shelter gave her a bath and got her up to date on her shots before we claimed her for only $40.

Jesus christ, I remember getting charged $600 for neutering our guy at a bougie vet and thinking we got taken.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Not sure how accurate this is but seems to match what we're seeing locally
https://observer.com/2023/03/veterinary-practices-are-increasingly-corporately-owned-and-pets-owners-pay-the-price/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is 100% what is happening around here. The old guys are making bank selling out their small animal practices as they retire. Large animal seems unaffected.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bob Barker receiving kickbacks in heaven

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
So I guess stealing from from people when they need healthcare wasn't enough...

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

raggedphoto posted:

Pretty much. Plus think about how much worse quality of care you can provide without risk. How many pet owners will pay the fees to take you to court for the wrongful death of a pet?

Plus in some states, pets are property so even if you lose the case you're only going to have to shell out like $300 per animal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

raggedphoto posted:

This isn't new. Have your heard of CareCredit and "pet insurance"?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Motronic posted:

This isn't new. Have your heard of CareCredit and "pet insurance"?

We had insurance for our dog when we first adopted him but quickly canceled when we read up on it. I hate our capitalist hellscape of a country.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

Pretty much. Plus think about how much worse quality of care you can provide without risk. How many pet owners will pay the fees to take you to court for the wrongful death of a pet?

Plus in some states, pets are property so even if you lose the case you're only going to have to shell out like $300 per animal.

Yep. My 3-year-old border kelpie developed a seizure disorder last year and the owner of our local practice basically signed her death warrant by improperly treating her, which we found out too late to do anything about. The most I could've recouped would have been $200, and only if we won. He would always do poo poo like charge us for procedures and tests they didn't actually perform and make us argue with the receptionists to take them off. The owner retired and sold the practice soon after.

People are vulnerable when it comes to their pets and shady vets know this. If you have a good vet hold on to them for dear life.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
At my condo walkthrough before closing, there was some sort of transparent weather sealing tape surrounding every window (looked like packing tape but stretchier). We had to tear all of it off to make sure the windows could be opened.

It's starting to get colder now, and this place definitely has insulation issues. Should I retape all the windows in the same manner (if so, any recommended brands)? Or is there a better method?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yup guy at work got quoted $900 for his. I told him that was ridiculous and he eventually found a place that would do it for $60

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

runawayturtles posted:

At my condo walkthrough before closing, there was some sort of transparent weather sealing tape surrounding every window (looked like packing tape but stretchier). We had to tear all of it off to make sure the windows could be opened.

It's starting to get colder now, and this place definitely has insulation issues. Should I retape all the windows in the same manner (if so, any recommended brands)? Or is there a better method?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I used this stuff to seal up windows last year and it worked great: Duck Brand Window Insulation Kit

Edit: 10 window size is cheaper at Walmart, who still have not realized that number isn't a great one to be throwing around.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 10, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yup guy at work got quoted $900 for his. I told him that was ridiculous and he eventually found a place that would do it for $60

Yeah this is crazy pricing to me. My two kitties were adoptees and came pre-spayed/neutered, so I had no idea it cost that much now. If this is what veterinary has turned into, then yeahhhh, $45+trap is a steal.

(Also, if it is that way now, I bet a lot of those trap/releases were actually pet owners who decided that their pet having a clipped ear was worth it.)

quote:

Modern cats are a lot more complex these days. They’re almost impossible to work on at home, too!

FWIW this is how I interpreted that post the first time. :lol:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Mine got fixed recently - I spent three months looking for a place with an open spot on their wait-list, even the shelter wait-lists were full, I finally got it done but it cost almost a thousand dollars. Apparently there's a couple vet trucks that are cheaper but they are only serving specific areas once every few months or something

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Not that PE rollups of the industry are a good thing but being a small animal vet was a great way to spend a half million dollars on an education that would maybe net you seventy grand a year. Costs were all out of whack with revenues.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not that PE rollups of the industry are a good thing but being a small animal vet was a great way to spend a half million dollars on an education that would maybe net you seventy grand a year. Costs were all out of whack with revenues.

Unless you were the one who also had enough marketing and business smarts to be the one who stared a practice early on. Those are the one cashing in now. And good on them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

runawayturtles posted:

We use this stuff on our bedroom windows, because that side of the house gets colder in the winter:
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/building-supplies/weather-stripping-and-window-film/window-films/58508

It works pretty well, even with good windows. You apply the film to the frame, not the window pane, so you're basically creating an airtight thermal bubble around the window. I think of it like upgrading single-pane windows to double-pane (or double to triple).

Baddog
May 12, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

It would've been easy to puppeteer too, it's rear end had been conveniently gnawed open overnight.

I'm guessing there wasn't much more drama involved, but what'd you end up doing with that deer?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Baddog posted:

I'm guessing there wasn't much more drama involved, but what'd you end up doing with that deer?

To shreds you say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I used this stuff to seal up windows last year and it worked great: Duck Brand Window Insulation Kit

QuarkJets posted:

We use this stuff on our bedroom windows, because that side of the house gets colder in the winter:
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/building-supplies/weather-stripping-and-window-film/window-films/58508

Hmm, interesting, hadn't seen this before. Probably would be far more effective than the tape that was there, but we have basically an entire wall of floor to ceiling windows in our bedroom and living room, so it would need a whole lot of plastic to cover it all.