Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Jakabite posted:

Anyone watching the new series of MAFS?

Three quarters of my office, in the office kitchen, while I'm trying to eat my lunch.

So that's why I've started eating at 3.30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat right I’m watching MAFS. It’s horrendous as usual.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

I think I got burnt out by the sheer unrelenting nastiness of the Australian version so I haven't brought myself to watch new MAFS UK yet. We'll probably suffer through it eventually though

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Volcano posted:

I think I got burnt out by the sheer unrelenting nastiness of the Australian version so I haven't brought myself to watch new MAFS UK yet. We'll probably suffer through it eventually though

The Australian version really does seem to cast the absolute worst people (Olivia). The UK one this year has been alright so far - though I feel like I've been hearing about an incident with a spoon and someone being called childish for months now - the only real controversy has been around their Trans bride.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And I’m sure that controversy is only outside the show, because the other cast members seem absolutely fine with her.

Porscha was more entertaining when she wasn’t getting on with her husband. Some of her lines and delivery are insane.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

And I’m sure that controversy is only outside the show, because the other cast members seem absolutely fine with her.

Porscha was more entertaining when she wasn’t getting on with her husband. Some of her lines and delivery are insane.

It seems the controversy, such as it is, is that Nathanial stated that he was Pan and 'open' to a Trans woman, however his actual preference was for a Man or a woman with masculine energy. I'm pretty sure he's going to leave soon, so it seems like C4 wanted to be able to say they had a Trans bride on without really thinking it through. I don't like the guy that much, but it feels like he's being set up to lose a little bit.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 4, 2023

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Oops didn’t realise there was another page!

It’s my first time watching it and I have to say I’m quite hooked. I may have to tune into the new big brother if this new taste for trash reality tv drama is to be slaked

Also Nathaniel’s a boring dickhead, Georges and his love of mummy milkers and squatting for baguettes all the way. Seriously the guy’s like the security guard from Nathan For You.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 4, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DrVenkman posted:

It seems the controversy, such as it is, is that Nathanial stated that he was Pan and 'open' to a Trans woman, however his actual preference was for a Man or a woman with masculine energy. I'm pretty sure he's going to leave soon, so it seems like C4 wanted to be able to say they had a Trans bride on without really thinking it through. I don't like the guy that much, but it feels like he's being set up to lose a little bit.

The worst part is the whole "we made the sensible and ethical decision to disclose that she was trans before the fake wedding" thing - since they seem to ignored that Nathaniel requested a man. It seems like they just wanted her on the show and thought the easiest way to do that would be to pair her with the pan guy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DrVenkman posted:

It seems the controversy, such as it is, is that Nathanial stated that he was Pan and 'open' to a Trans woman, however his actual preference was for a Man or a woman with masculine energy.

Ah gotcha, yeah I heard about that.. the whole thing seemed weird as the way it was presented to audiences was that Ella agreed to the producers it was ok to tell him prior, yet there was still a scene where she was nervous to come out to him. As usual, reality tv editing is a never ending headache.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That all sounds gross :cry:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

stev posted:

The worst part is the whole "we made the sensible and ethical decision to disclose that she was trans before the fake wedding" thing - since they seem to ignored that Nathaniel requested a man. It seems like they just wanted her on the show and thought the easiest way to do that would be to pair her with the pan guy.

Yeah it seems like that was exactly it. And from what I know about it which admittedly isn't a lot, the attraction for Pan people tends to be a more emotional than a physical one, but then you have Ella who understandably wants his reassurance that he's physically attracted to her when it doesn't really work that way. This is what I mean about him being set up to fail because the others on the show don't really understand his side of it, and I think he's worried now that he's going to look like he's transphobic.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I did like tonight’s episode where the ‘expert’ wanted to clarify with Brad about his choice of language, and he was happy to confirm he was deliberately choosing very controlling words for what he considers his dumb child bride.

Kinda feel there’s gonna be some history about him dug up sooner or later, he did glance over the whole turning his life around thing and I’m curious as to what he’s turned around from, and whether he really has at all.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Fellas like that are ten a penny in Manchester. ‘Spiritual’ guys with loads of tats who’d lecture you about drinking cow’s milk while also getting on the bag every weekend. To be honest any time some twenty something fuckboy says they’re ‘spiritual’ and do that namaste chakra bullshit it raises my alarm bells.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jakabite posted:

Fellas like that are ten a penny in Manchester. ‘Spiritual’ guys with loads of tats who’d lecture you about drinking cow’s milk while also getting on the bag every weekend. To be honest any time some twenty something fuckboy says they’re ‘spiritual’ and do that namaste chakra bullshit it raises my alarm bells.
I hate London and you've just made me think its not that bad.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I did like tonight’s episode where the ‘expert’ wanted to clarify with Brad about his choice of language, and he was happy to confirm he was deliberately choosing very controlling words for what he considers his dumb child bride.

Kinda feel there’s gonna be some history about him dug up sooner or later, he did glance over the whole turning his life around thing and I’m curious as to what he’s turned around from, and whether he really has at all.

You always know who the worst people are because they have to do the 'What you're seeing is actually highly edited' routine on social media.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It really hit home for me in one of the Love is Blind seasons when the guy who went all out with the 'it's highly edited' line actually ended up looking worse when the footage of the conversation in question was actually released. He was so sure it would exonerate him and it did the opposite. (Also it struck me then just how much footage must end up not being used and also how the constraints over stuff being captured at the right quality for inclusion are really tight.)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

attraction for Pan people tends to be a more emotional than a physical one

Absolutely it can be this, but also as the poster above stated, if his preference was for a man or a woman with masc energy, then for the producers to pair him with a high femme trans woman is highly dubious and, unsurprisingly, indicates a big lack of sensitivity to the issues

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DrVenkman posted:

You always know who the worst people are because they have to do the 'What you're seeing is actually highly edited' routine on social media.

Yeah when the other cast mates come out and say they were edited bad, it’s fair because it absolutely happens, but if you say you got a bad edit and nobody is there to back you…

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

London has plenty of its own unique types of wanker. For example, I never have to deal with braying city boys! Or ‘Chelsea Boys’ whatever one of those is

I feel like more people are now cottoning onto the spirituality fuckboys at least, which actually makes me feel bad for any nice young men who just happen to be into woo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I agree these shows edit to gently caress in a way that's manipulative and arguably unethical. But there are also situations where you've clearly said those words and that alone is enough for me to say you're a lovely person regardless of context.

Like Porscha saying she wants to marry a rich guy so she can live off them and never work again. I can form an opinion on her based on that being a thing she willingly said regardless of how her other interactions are edited.

Paladinus posted:

I would hope not.

Lmao

stev fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 5, 2023

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Gorn Myson posted:

Many of these types in Bristol as well. I think a lot of it is my inner Mark Corrigan, but I've always found them to be smug hypocritical cunts.

Also do things like, when way into their 30s, post lots of photos on social media of themselves travelling round the world to festivals and eschewing the value of not working for a living and following your dreams... all while being bank rolled by their mum and dad.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There's a clear line between them and the London professional class though who are all about living in Clapham, seeing the fam and package holidays to Dubai

basic a f

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I also dislike social media users

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Are there are at least any cute couples on MAFS this year who seem like they might make it? I need at least two decent people to cheer for or it's not worth the rest of the horror.

The Perfect Element posted:

Many of these types in Bristol as well. I think a lot of it is my inner Mark Corrigan, but I've always found them to be smug hypocritical cunts.

That isn't very Rainbow Rhythms of you

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Volcano posted:

Are there are at least any cute couples on MAFS this year who seem like they might make it? I need at least two decent people to cheer for or it's not worth the rest of the horror.

Yeah there's two at the moment that seem to like each other. Tasha, Paul, Luke and Jay.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
loving hell Big Brother is starting up again :cripes:

how did this become the future

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Has any other programme vaulted between all three independent channels? Truly incredible achievement.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

crispix posted:

loving hell Big Brother is starting up again :cripes:

how did this become the future

The idea that ITV has become the dumping ground for shows too tired and naff for Channel 5 is a useful rationalisation for my knee-jerk refusal to ever watch it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Channel 5 programmes can be so bad that they're great TV though. I once happened upon one with John Prescott touring a crisp factory - that was the whole show - and I wasn't entirely sure I wasn't dreaming

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Big Brother is the perfect example of producers sorta working out what formula is popular and completely ruining the show because of it
I really enjoyed 1-5, maybe even 6. Because it felt way more natural, they brought 'real people' in and just went with the flow

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
whoever chose that picture with a square-jawed blonde man standing that way next to death camp, with that expression in a black suit and with the logo looking really much too similar to an armband was either very clever or incredibly stupid

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

"Is that your final solu- answer?"

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Cloud Potato posted:

Honestly the most I've laughed on the forums in years

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Cloud Potato posted:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

:eyepop:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Cloud Potato posted:

:lol:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Coogan Savile thing is our. Extremely difficult watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I cannot get along with the decision to not only make Saville an on-screen presence in that show, but also have him played by loving Steve Coogan of all the people on this planet.

Like, if you were ever going to do this, and even that merits an extensive discussion, I'd think the only decent way to go about it would be to 100% focus on the victims and cover-up, and have Saville be an occasionally referred to and named but never seen presence. This is clearly Coogan attempting to branch further into dramatic work and it's gross as gently caress, and looks like something from Dead Ringers.