Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The invisibility is also mostly a side effect of making you more close to the spirit world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It is played interestingly that if anything the ring's corruptive effects are much more powerful on traditionally 'heroic' types possibly because strong will just makes a bigger target, while the relatively humble and easygoing hobbits don't give it a lot to work with. There's also the impression that invisibility is just how its effects manifest in hobbits, as it works very differently with others- presumably with elves, men, dwarves and maiar it'd probably provide an even more powerful version of the effects of the other rings. Would especially make sense as it's basically the master control unit for Sauron.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

The Tolkienification of PYFC continues apace. My Grand design continues to unfold!

fritz posted:

Ugly Dumpling

Thanks for posting Jean Wei's comics here, I've really enjoyed them. These three pages in particular though, they hit me pretty close to home. Especially the bit about googling recipes on my phone in the store, I've done that.

One thing - Chinese supermarkets where I live, the don't smell weird, they smell like elderly fish. Except for the flash one in the mall in Newmarket, but I don't trust that one >:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think Baldr getting Jesused up is a definitely possibility, but I don't really see the Loki-as-Satan angle. Even the Gesta Danorum, which has a wildly different versions of Baldr's death, still references the binding of Loki, which I think is the strongest indicator that the gods getting sick of his poo poo and locking him away is a myth that predates both accounts.

Valhalla skipping all that and making Baldr's death a happy ending is a fun twist, though, can't say I've come across that reading before.

I was mainly being glib for comedy's sake, but I picked up the Loki as Satan angle from OSP's video on the same. It has an even crazier idea: what if Loki is also the Jesus figure? What the gently caress does that mean? Watch the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwQ3MA2Ne0

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 20: License to Cruelty

FOMO move, delivering gunpowder in the rain. Act now and receive a free tea set!

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated chapter 16: Of Departure

Ah, domestic bliss. Let's see how long it lasts.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Chapter 1: An Easy and Filling Italian Casserole

And that's Cooking Papa: stern and stoic at work, caring and affectionate with his son, supports his wife's career. Oh yeah, and he cooks. Not bad for 1984, to be honest!

Are we feeling this? Should I post more? I'm just desperately trying to find something to fill the Wakako-shaped hole in our hearts.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Why did he rush back to work though? I think I missed something.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

By popular demand posted:

Why did he rush back to work though? I think I missed something.

There was unfinished work when he left for home.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 11:54 on Oct 10, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Work left unfinished by his subordinate who messed it up the first time around, no less.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he cooks, and he fucks

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kennel posted:

There was unfinished work went he left for home.

Emzedoh posted:

Work left unfinished by his subordinate who messed it up the first time around, no less.
From my understanding of modern japan, going home at a reasonable hour and then returning to the office only because there's actual work to be done would be considered a scandalously healthy work life balance. I'm curious how it was viewed in the early 80s.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

God that panel is cool as hell.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Emzedoh posted:

The Tolkienification of PYFC continues apace. My Grand design continues to unfold!

Fool! I have perceived your designs and, I was, like, well, "yeah, we should... we should get in on all that."
Also... in the teapot samurai comic... d'y'reckon those man-sized baskets of gunpowder contain gunpowder or "gunpowder"?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh boy, when Loki is willing to confess he hosed up you know it's going to be some serious poo poo.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Jan 31-Feb 7, 1943)

Today, Sligon's back! He's a fisher king, get it? also Thorg is huge now for some reason

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Thorg is a twunk

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of the Rings

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Quite a small Balrog there.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The Bugle Call: Marching.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Quick googling suggests that Balrogs being the size of two humans or less might have been the original intention.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the book has the balrog slap its whip around gandalf's leg, dragging him into the depths, making it look like a heroic sacrifice

the comic has gandalf shooting the ground and then smash-cutting to him falling into the abyss, making him look like an idiot

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Plenty of wing though.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Emzedoh posted:

And that's Cooking Papa: stern and stoic at work, caring and affectionate with his son, supports his wife's career. Oh yeah, and he cooks. Not bad for 1984, to be honest!

Are we feeling this? Should I post more? I'm just desperately trying to find something to fill the Wakako-shaped hole in our hearts.

Seems fun enough to me

Spirit Circle
This update has the one panty shot in the entire comic. It's totally needless so I'm just linking the page instead of keeping it inline

Needless panty shot. Feel free to skip this page. Kouko falls down, Fuuta accidentally sees her panties. Fuuta denies seeing anything, East and Rune joke that he definitely saw. Kouko gets embarrassed and upset. There, you're caught up

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I didn't know they were making an anime reboot of Click

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Chapter 60

Chapter 61

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

Note to the comic makers: Sir Mimley Bastrop is the wrong person to cast if you want to make this point

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Bikini Bottom Horror

KennyMan666 posted:

Chapter 10, The Tortured One.

Chapter 11, A New Bottom

As a shadow falls over Bikini Bottom, Plankton wrestles with his decisions.

A group of survivors attempt to hide from the horror but soon learn that nowhere is safe.

As the Tortured one feeds, Squidward springs into action.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

Note to the comic makers: Sir Mimley Bastrop is the wrong person to cast if you want to make this point

Is the comic not going to examine that later? I was assuming that was a purposeful layer to this all.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

Is the comic not going to examine that later? I was assuming that was a purposeful layer to this all.

Seconded, that was my assumption too.

the holy poopacy posted:

Lavender Jack

Haha, Red Jack :ussr:

At least she had a positive attitude all her life...?

Tree Bucket posted:

Fool! I have perceived your designs and, I was, like, well, "yeah, we should... we should get in on all that."
Also... in the teapot samurai comic... d'y'reckon those man-sized baskets of gunpowder contain gunpowder or "gunpowder"?

Cough, they're just gunpowder. Plenty of use for ordinary gunpowder in any devious plot.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Gunpowder Tea, surely.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Bang bang shoot shoot
Happiness is a warm cup of tea.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ditocoaf posted:

It does, I'm just goofing. The comic's political philosophy is not super-heavyweight and it doesn't really claim to have the answers, but it does generally do a good job of calling out the problems.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

"You... probably shouldn't... pass!!!"

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

It was a small balrog the size of a large balrog

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Tree Bucket posted:

Haunting

Okay, to avoid a low-content post: Tolkien's elves are all about art.
"Their 'magic' is Art," wrote Tolkien in a letter to a friend, "delivered from many of its human limitations: more quick, more complete (product, and vision in unflawed correspondence)." This I take to mean: do you know that feeling when you're drawing or writing or singing or whatever, and you just- get in the zone, and time (as it is described in the elven realm of Lothlorien) seems to go very fast and very slow simultaneously? Elves are permanently "In The Zone." They're not just a prettier, more agile human; they are a fundamentally different kind of being. To balance this- to, perhaps, explain why such a state is unavailable to humans- Tolkien's elves are immortal. Their lives are woven into the fabric of the world. Unlike humans, who can change and reshape the world as we see fit, the permanently en-Zoned elves simply fade as the third age of the world falls into decline. If they ever hear the sound of the sea, it's all over for them: they suffer from a case of terminal wanderlust and Go Into The West and never come back.
The Ring, meanwhile, is something very different: it is the very essence of the Machine.
(Remember Sauron, originally, was a Maiar of Aule- an angel of the god of smithing and crafting, you might say. So Sauron likes to make things.)
Now, consider a gun. No matter who pulls the trigger, the amount of energy released is going to be the same, right? The boom isn't bigger if a stronger guy pulls the trigger.
But. The result of that Bang varies hugely depending on if the trigger is pulled by a soldier, a murderer, a hunter, an assassin, a drunk guy, whatever. Once the gun has been built, the output of the machine we call a gun depends entirely upon the motives, skills and intentions of the person pulling the trigger: their Will, as Tolkien might put it.
That is how the Ring works: the very purest essence of will-amplification. A sneaky hobbit can use the Ring to sneak better; a king can use it to become an emperor; an angel can use it to become something like a god. This also fits with Tolkien's faith; the Ring, fascinatingly, represents a mathematically perfect temptation. We're used to thinking of resisting temptation as something that is achieved through willpower. But the Ring, by definition, becomes stronger depending on the will of the person holding it. The better you are at shaping your mind into a hammer and blasting through adverse mental states, the harder you'll have to fight to resist the ring. Galadriel nearly rips her mind in half rejecting the Ring; Sam the stupid fat hobbit can pick up and put down the thing with zero ill effects because he's fundamentally a decent guy who is content with beer and gardens and, if he's real lucky, a curvy hobbit bride down the track.
So for Tolkien: art, magic and the machine are all means of dealing with the statement the world is not as it should be; what should we do about it? There's something poignant about a person orphaned at age 12 and sent to fight in WW1 as a teenager wrestling with this stuff.
I'm glad he did, though.

Extremely yes

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

AKA a "Smallrog"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

I posted a couple shorts from i.Nguyen-Hayama a while back (maybe only in the BYOB thread?), here's another:
The Corpse Collector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

fritz posted:

AKA a "Smallrog"

La petite rog

e: if I get time I'd like to redraw a couple of the Lord of the Rings panels. The artist has done some good work, but they have a knack for really undercutting the story. Like panel one, the body language is broadcasting loud and clear "the danger is passed! Hooray!"

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Oct 11, 2023