Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

really good at riding those skinnies though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I copped what I assumed to be fake POC pants from Temu for a 30 piece but I think they might be real/gray market or whatever Theyre still available and the first google result for POC mtb pants etc..

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

really good at riding those skinnies though

Thank you op

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MuadDib Atreides posted:

I copped a shoerter stem and moved my seat up and feeling more in control OP. when i record myself riding it just seems insanely slow and i see that im not peddling at all. SAD!

when I go up jumps I just plop my little wheel down on the top??? what in the world? All my gopro footage is also pointed too down despite being as up as the gopro can go. I assume this is because I'm lean too much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JChKyLZ8qoE

Good work! I don't think I saw any jumps in that video but looks like you're having a great time and not doing poorly at all. For what it's worth, and this is just based on your description of what's happening, you gotta really put body english into jumps - you want to really compress evenly (front/rear) into the upramp part of the jump and you should be light on the bike as you're leaving the lip of the jump.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

Good work! I don't think I saw any jumps in that video but looks like you're having a great time and not doing poorly at all. For what it's worth, and this is just based on your description of what's happening, you gotta really put body english into jumps - you want to really compress evenly (front/rear) into the upramp part of the jump and you should be light on the bike as you're leaving the lip of the jump.

Thank you OP. I’m having fun and doing numbers in terms of physical activity. There are some jumps in the video starting at like 1:45 to the skinny but they don’t read as jumps because I just… ride flat over them and get no air!

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

With winter aka rain season arriving in my part of the world, I could use some advice on how to ride through it.

First, what's the protocol for riding in the wet? Both when trails are wet or while its raining? I'm not planning on riding alot in driving rain but I'm sure I'll get caught out at some point.

Is there anything I can do to winterize my bike? I have little fenders already but is there anything else I can do? Wet conditions chain lube? Keep it clean as much as possible?

Any recommendations for pants? I doubt I need anything too heavy duty, it rarely gets below freezing here.

Likewise, what about gloves? My hands run cold so I'll need something medium weight at least.

Also thanks to the folks who recommended going tubeless. I finally around to doing it this week and it was hilariously easy to do.

Like I just posted the POC pants that cost like $30 on Temu (after the random discounts they throw at you) seem to be possibly authentic. I also got some Troy lee design pants off Amazon for like 50. If you’re in the US sierra is carrying goretex dakine slightly insulated gloves for $20 which I also copped

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Basically when I do a lot of riding in wet and grimey conditions i just plan on having to replace a bunch of poo poo sooner rather than later. Like last year I dragged a worn out cassette through to the spring, then replaced the whole drivetrain, bottom bracket, and pivot bearings, overhauled the fork, etc. Really just the nature of riding a full suspension bike.

Last night it was pretty nice after work, and by that I mean not raining and somewhat dry on a rainy day, so i risked doing my usual ride instead of something that would have brought me closer to home. So, I wind up at the top of this mountain and it starts raining and is like 39f and that really kind of sucked but was fun in a way too since I was generally dressed well enough. hands got a little cold and wet. But I had to go straight back to the shop, change into my dry clothes, and call for a ride home.

I hosed my bike off right away when I got home, in the dark in the rain, and cleaned the chain but i full expect there to be some new creaks and clicks the next time i ride it and should probably take apart and clean a lot of stuff now.

not raining

not raining, kind of spooky

gently caress it's definitely raining and i really should have turned around instead of continuing on the loop and being on the top of a mountain at 7pm by myself

Then I rode trail back to town because it's kind of a rolling route with some climbs and flat bits and i thought i would get too cold if i bailed down the paved road. Even though it would have been like 5min instead of 25. It was also more fun. And it turned out my rear light wouldn't turn on.

Clothing report:

pearl izumi amfib lite pants: not great not terrible. held off the water for a little bit but wound up completely soaked through. heavy enough to keep me warmish

PI wxb shoe covers: pretty ok, feet stayed dryish for awhile but were eventually not. feet didn't get too cold at least

PI summit wrx neoshell gloves: waterproof back of hand but not waterproof rest of glove so these wound up completely wet and my hands were pretty uncomfortable by the end

PI pro neoshell wxb jacket: this thing is actually waterproof and i was pretty dry underneath it. Real good jacket, wore it gravel riding today in cold but dry conditions and it breaths pretty well too. Downside: very loving expensive, would not have bought without prodeal.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 2, 2023

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

Basically when I do a lot of riding in wet and grimey conditions i just plan on having to replace a bunch of poo poo sooner rather than later. Like last year I dragged a worn out cassette through to the spring, then replaced the whole drivetrain, bottom bracket, and pivot bearings, overhauled the fork, etc. Really just the nature of riding a full suspension bike.

Last night it was pretty nice after work, and by that I mean not raining and somewhat dry on a rainy day, so i risked doing my usual ride instead of something that would have brought me closer to home. So, I wind up at the top of this mountain and it starts raining and is like 39f and that really kind of sucked but was fun in a way too since I was generally dressed well enough. hands got a little cold and wet. But I had to go straight back to the shop, change into my dry clothes, and call for a ride home.

I hosed my bike off right away when I got home, in the dark in the rain, and cleaned the chain but i full expect there to be some new creaks and clicks the next time i ride it and should probably take apart and clean a lot of stuff now.

not raining

not raining, kind of spooky

gently caress it's definitely raining and i really should have turned around instead of continuing on the loop and being on the top of a mountain at 7pm by myself

Then I rode trail back to town because it's kind of a rolling route with some climbs and flat bits and i thought i would get too cold if i bailed down the paved road. Even though it would have been like 5min instead of 25. It was also more fun. And it turned out my rear light wouldn't turn on.

Clothing report:

pearl izumi amfib lite pants: not great not terrible. held off the water for a little bit but wound up completely soaked through. heavy enough to keep me warmish

PI wxb shoe covers: pretty ok, feet stayed dryish for awhile but were eventually not. feet didn't get too cold at least

PI summit wrx neoshell gloves: waterproof back of hand but not waterproof rest of glove so these wound up completely wet and my hands were pretty uncomfortable by the end

PI pro neoshell wxb jacket: this thing is actually waterproof and i was pretty dry underneath it. Real good jacket, wore it gravel riding today in cold but dry conditions and it breaths pretty well too. Downside: very loving expensive, would not have bought without prodeal.

Very trill looking ride OP. Love those conifers in the mist

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

NBD! Ripley XT - pedals ordered

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ropes4u posted:

NBD! Ripley XT - pedals ordered

Looks great!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bike looks fantastic!

e: hideously embarrassed my bike doesn't match my rugs.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Been thinking about picking up a mountain bike lately, a lot. I mostly have a road/"gravel"/underbiking trails background and ive spent a lot of time on a surly crosscheck, but after getting creamed by a car a few years ago, i haven't had the appetite to ride road again for some reason. i don't really know poo poo about mountain bikes though. I've been doing some basic research on buyers guides, but a lot of that stuff only goes so far -- I've been looking at Surly again, and think the Ghost Grappler and the (front suspension) Karate Monkey are both pretty interesting albeit obviously quite different. I want to be able to hit the local singletrack in the morning and occasionally take on some longer fire road/gravel/single track hauls on the weekends. I did a fair amount of bikepacking on my Crosscheck before I met my wife but idk how much of it I'd do these days. My head tells me the Karate Monkey would make more sense for quick shred sessions (bay area, hilly and dry), although I can't get over how much I dig the GG.

Besides the Surly setups, what other manufacturers should I be looking at if I'm after a steel hardtail? I think I slightly prefer having front sus if I'm not going with something funky like the GG, and definitely am not looking for a gravel bike or cyclocross bike. I seent that steel Kona Honzo but its almost $600 more than the KM. not a deal breaker necessarily, but a bit of a difference there.

That leads me to my other questions, which is about the geo differences of something like the Honzo vs a KM -- is there anything anyone can recommend me about the basics of MTB geometry and what to consider when looking at bikes? I know the GG has a comparatively high bottom bracket and is obviously kind of a beast unto itself, but with more standard mtb geometry, I don't really know a ton about what to consider when reading up on stuff. seat tube angles are too slack on the KM? 150mm suspension fork on the KM is too... much(?)? I don't know what any of this means. I just want to shred some trails this fall.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 3, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My search for the best entry level do it all hardtail led me to the Trek Roscoe 7 but it's significantly cheaper than the karate master so it might be lower spec than what you're after. I really like it but I also probably would've been just as well served by like a Marlin 5 at my skill level.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When it comes to this kind of thing I really think you'll just be better served going around your local shops and seeing what's on sale etc. It's not like it was years ago where everything was super expensive and out of stock - a lot of these shops are overstocked on stuff and especially in October I bet you can find a great deal. I'd see what the deals are and then if they're good deals, make a decision from there (we'd love to share our opinions if you have some models you're seeing locally).

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

When it comes to this kind of thing I really think you'll just be better served going around your local shops and seeing what's on sale etc. It's not like it was years ago where everything was super expensive and out of stock - a lot of these shops are overstocked on stuff and especially in October I bet you can find a great deal. I'd see what the deals are and then if they're good deals, make a decision from there (we'd love to share our opinions if you have some models you're seeing locally).

yeah i figure thats what i need to do but i was just killing time during work. seems like there arent a ton of options for steel, especially if i want a 27.5 in 2023 but i got a lot of shops around me so i'll just need to check poo poo out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

post hole digger posted:

yeah i figure thats what i need to do but i was just killing time during work. seems like there arent a ton of options for steel, especially if i want a 27.5 in 2023 but i got a lot of shops around me so i'll just need to check poo poo out.

If it's anything like around me there won't be anything steel in-stock anywhere and it probably won't be on sale, I missed the part about you wanting a steel bike I guess.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Ghost Grappler looks cool but I personally find riding singletrack on dropbars to be extremely sketchy as soon as the going gets slightly rough or steep. Could just be my lack of experience with dropbar vs flat bar but something to consider if you want to hit singletrack.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

post hole digger posted:

Been thinking about picking up a mountain bike lately, a lot. I mostly have a road/"gravel"/underbiking trails background and ive spent a lot of time on a surly crosscheck, but after getting creamed by a car a few years ago, i haven't had the appetite to ride road again for some reason. i don't really know poo poo about mountain bikes though. I've been doing some basic research on buyers guides, but a lot of that stuff only goes so far -- I've been looking at Surly again, and think the Ghost Grappler and the (front suspension) Karate Monkey are both pretty interesting albeit obviously quite different. I want to be able to hit the local singletrack in the morning and occasionally take on some longer fire road/gravel/single track hauls on the weekends. I did a fair amount of bikepacking on my Crosscheck before I met my wife but idk how much of it I'd do these days. My head tells me the Karate Monkey would make more sense for quick shred sessions (bay area, hilly and dry), although I can't get over how much I dig the GG.

Besides the Surly setups, what other manufacturers should I be looking at if I'm after a steel hardtail? I think I slightly prefer having front sus if I'm not going with something funky like the GG, and definitely am not looking for a gravel bike or cyclocross bike. I seent that steel Kona Honzo but its almost $600 more than the KM. not a deal breaker necessarily, but a bit of a difference there.

That leads me to my other questions, which is about the geo differences of something like the Honzo vs a KM -- is there anything anyone can recommend me about the basics of MTB geometry and what to consider when looking at bikes? I know the GG has a comparatively high bottom bracket and is obviously kind of a beast unto itself, but with more standard mtb geometry, I don't really know a ton about what to consider when reading up on stuff. seat tube angles are too slack on the KM? 150mm suspension fork on the KM is too... much(?)? I don't know what any of this means. I just want to shred some trails this fall.

The Kona Unit X is steel, rigid, bikepacking-oriented and probably more widely available and a better value than Surly. Chromag specializes in shreddy steel hardtails but they're not particularly cheap

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve got a Cromo Marin Pine Mountain 1 I quite like and the newer models have a more modern geometry.

I’ve also been lusting after the El Roy which is slack as hell and also cromo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah the unit x is pretty cool and is fairly common to find in a shop. we usually have a couple kicking around (have had like 3 honzo esds come through since they came out). The honzo esd is not so common but a lot more of a trail/fun bike with what you'd call modern, progressive geometry. It has a a long reach and a really slack head tube angle - 63 degrees, so it's going to feel a lot different from a unit or karate monkey. Happy to go fast in a straight line but might feel a little slow to turn and change direction and struggle around tight uphill switchbacks.

As far as the surly vs the honzo goes I think the surly is not that great of a value, and while the kona is still another like $500 more i'd definitely rather have one if you're picking between the two. An aluminum trek roscoe 8 for 2k has a pretty comparable if not nicer spec than the $2600 surly, so that's kind of what you'd be looking at for a not steel bike.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Guys, I'm really keen to get back into mountain biking but I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go an E-MTB like the Trek Fuel EXE or to get a normal dual suspension trail bike.

For context, we have a world renowned mountain bike trail system about 20 minutes from my house as well as several other extremely high quality trails within a short driving distance ranging from green to double black diamond.

The prevailing rhetoric from both my local mates who ride as well as all the bike shops is "noone in their right mind would buy a non e-mtb anymore". Is it true? What do you guys think?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That rhetoric is absolutely not something you hear a lot but it really depends on you, your fitness, what you expect to ride, are you going to be trying to ride with experienced friends that will drop you on climbs, etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well poo poo if there’s no market for non‐motorized mountain bikes anymore, I’ll take a shipping container of this unsellable stock off the hands of distributors.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Look, my mates all have e-mtbs so there's a heavy bias there. I'm in reasonably good shape from running but not very bike fit, at least compared to a few years ago.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

abigserve posted:

Guys, I'm really keen to get back into mountain biking but I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go an E-MTB like the Trek Fuel EXE or to get a normal dual suspension trail bike.

For context, we have a world renowned mountain bike trail system about 20 minutes from my house as well as several other extremely high quality trails within a short driving distance ranging from green to double black diamond.

The prevailing rhetoric from both my local mates who ride as well as all the bike shops is "noone in their right mind would buy a non e-mtb anymore". Is it true? What do you guys think?

It's absolutely not true lol, but if your mates are all saying it do they all have emtbs? If everyone you're going to ride with has one, you're probably better off getting one too if you ever want to ride with that group.

I've demoed a load of emtbs and they are very fun, and you can get a lot more riding in but saying that not one has ever felt as good as my non emtb bike to ride downhill.

How much elevation is this world renowned trail system?

Edit:

abigserve posted:

Look, my mates all have e-mtbs so there's a heavy bias there. I'm in reasonably good shape from running but not very bike fit, at least compared to a few years ago.

In that case then yeah I would probably get an emtb just so you can actually ride with them. Running fit =/= bike fit, and if you tried to keep up with them on the climbs you'd get absolutely smoked.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

abigserve posted:

I'm in pretty good shape from running and road cycling and when I'm out with friends who do a lot more MTB it takes a couple of hours of effort before I'm able to beat them on climbs. I wouldn't want an eMTB though, because the uphill effort is part of what I'm there for especially on more technical ascents, but I might feel differently if my friends were dicks about waiting.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Aphex- posted:

How much elevation is this world renowned trail system?

Its like 2500 feet, it's Mount Stromlo in CBR if you wanna look it up (also; to be fair, apparently it is more accurate to say it was, at one point, world renowned as it hosted a couple world championships around the time I was an active rider)

I think you guys have sorta swung me back around, and the price differential makes good sense as well.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

abigserve posted:

Its like 2500 feet, it's Mount Stromlo in CBR if you wanna look it up (also; to be fair, apparently it is more accurate to say it was, at one point, world renowned as it hosted a couple world championships around the time I was an active rider)

I think you guys have sorta swung me back around, and the price differential makes good sense as well.

If it's that elevation for 1 climb and all your riding mates have ebikes, I would get an ebike tbh.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If all my friends were riding ebikes and I could afford it I would also get the ebike.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Yeah, and you can always have 2 bikes if you like riding a non ebike elsewhere.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm a boomer that lives where it's pretty flat and have no desire for an emtb. I was resistant to droppers until trying one too, though. :v: But for me I'm doing it for exercise anyway and I'm more limited by time to ride than endurance usually. Most the trails here aren't approved for e-bikes either but I'm not sure it's enforced.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

prom candy posted:

If all my friends were riding ebikes and I could afford it I would also get the ebike.

Totally agree. I don't have an ebike and don't particularly want one, but I would absolutely get one if it was what my friends all rode.

OP, you should note that no matter how fit you are, you will not keep up with your emtb friends on the climbs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

abigserve posted:

Unless you can keep up with them on legs alone I don’t see why you wouldn’t get an assisted bike.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If all my friends rode e-bikes I'd find different friends to ride with.

Had a fun one yesterday, big loop on a barely there old trail. It's pretty close to some new things we have in town and I'd love to see a bit of work done to re-establish it. One of my favorite areas especially for big gravel rides. People do go in there still, and it is even open to motos and e-bikes and i think we only came across like two down trees.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10008976527

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I can’t keep up with my friends and I have no shame about making them wait.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

abigserve posted:

Stromlo-posting as I ride there a lot:

It's not 2500 feet of elevation difference which I think they were asking, 2500 is the actual elevation of the peak. It's about 700ft of elevation gain/loss on the front side and 400 on the back side where the more technical stuff is. If you ride the back side a lot an ebike would be nice, as all the fire roads back up from the bottom on that side have pretty steep pitches (up to 30 percent on Casuarina). I ride it regularly on my leg-powered 120mm bike where I'm outgunned on both suspension travel and watts but I make it work, and I vastly prefer a lighter non-e-bike for all the other riding in town. That said, I agree with the above that if all your buddies ride e-bikes and you'll be sticking to winch-and-plummet riding it's probably good to get one too so you can all ride together. Maybe demo a bike or borrow one and see how you go riding with them not on an e-bike?

VacaGrande fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 10, 2023

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The New New Mountain Bike Megathread:

jamal posted:

If all my friends rode e-bikes I'd find different friends to ride with.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

VacaGrande posted:

Stromlo-posting as I ride there a lot:

It's not 2500 feet of elevation difference which I think they were asking, 2500 is the actual elevation of the peak. It's about 700ft of elevation gain/loss on the front side and 400 on the back side where the more technical stuff is. If you ride the back side a lot an ebike would be nice, as all the fire roads back up from the bottom on that side have pretty steep pitches (up to 30 percent on Casuarina). I ride it regularly on my leg-powered 120mm bike where I'm outgunned on both suspension travel and watts but I make it work, and I vastly prefer a lighter non-e-bike for all the other riding in town. That said, I agree with the above that if all your buddies ride e-bikes and you'll be sticking to winch-and-plummet riding it's probably good to get one too so you can all ride together. Maybe demo a bike or borrow one and see how you go riding with them not on an e-bike?

Yeah I'm thinking about sending a non e-mtb but not going all out with the build and then re-evaluating in 12 months or so. Thanks everyone for the responses, they've been really helpful!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

funkymonks posted:

I can’t keep up with my friends and I have no shame about making them wait.

This. For me it's because I'm out of shape and heavy. The tradeoff is that on the downhill maintaining speed is easier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

when i wanted a motorcycle i just bought a motorcycle