Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/charlesbamford/status/1711402081582563693?s=20

Reporting everyone in this thread to Prevent for being extremists with grievance based politics
Isn't Prevent a single issue ideology based on so-called 'anti-terrorism'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

My favourite anarchist strain is...nihilism?

Getting my national security threat evaluations from watching The Big Lebowski

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/charlesbamford/status/1711402081582563693?s=20

Reporting everyone in this thread to Prevent for being extremists with grievance based politics

Lemme just go burn all copies of Road to Wigan Pier as terrorist propaganda.

Also RSPCA pamphlets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Single issue anti fascists

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Talking of burning things, how seriously should I take the current internet discourse about bedbug infestations in Paris and London? It's not like a proper phobia or anything but I'm staying over in London next week and the way it's being reported is freaking me out a bit :-(

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Isomermaid posted:

Talking of burning things, how seriously should I take the current internet discourse about bedbug infestations in Paris and London? It's not like a proper phobia or anything but I'm staying over in London next week and the way it's being reported is freaking me out a bit :-(

Bedbugs are bad (source: I moved into a flat with them)

You basically need to toss out all furniture, and go through a two week period of poisoning and steam cleaning (carried out by professionals). They can be transmitted easily on fabric, clothes, bus/train seats, suitcases etc. All clothes need to either be boil washed or put in the freezer at -25 degrees for 72 hours to kill the eggs.

They can be dormant for like 3 months so even after going through all the treatment, there's always the panic that they'll come back.

They spread fast and are nasty.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 10, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The bed bugs escaped from bill gates' wef-funded 5g labs where they were being developed as a food source. You will eat them and like it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

keep punching joe posted:

Bedbugs are bad (source: I moved into a flat with them)

You basically need to toss out all furniture, and go through a two week period of poisoning and steam cleaning (carried out by professionals). They can be transmitted easily on fabric, clothes, bus/train seats, suitcases etc. All clothes need to either be boil washed or put in the freezer at -25 degrees for 72 hours to kill the eggs.

They spread fast and are nasty.

If they spread so easily and are so difficult to remove, why are they only a problem now? What changed?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Microplastics posted:

If they spread so easily and are so difficult to remove, why are they only a problem now? What changed?

More people travelling , and living on top of each other in cramped lovely flats that landlords don't bother to deal with cockroach/bedbug infestations adequately.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The good part about that is that cockroaches eat bedbugs according to some article I read.

The bad part is you now have cockroaches in your flat.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I just had my covid and flu boosters (because my dads poorly) and timed it because my sister said the guy was really fast. Twenty-eight seconds between him saying “come on then” and me walking out the pharmacy! He was like lightning, amazing service. I said “are you doing flu as well” and he said “I already did, in your other arm.” Didn’t even notice!

The real reason I’m posting is, as usual, just to have a general moan about the state of things: there’s a fancy new estate been built between our village and the next, and between us my wife and I know six local families who have moved onto said estate. We’ve kept an eye on it and four of the six vacated houses sold and went up for rent, one was already rented, and the sixth is being renovated by a corporate landlord so that’ll be the same. Of the five already listed, every single one had a monthly payment more than double our minimum mortgage rate. Three of the five are basically the same semi-detached build as us, the other two are considerably smaller terraces. What are people meant to do? I have a friend, 30yo, who has been trying to settle down with his partner for over five years. Start a family and that. Instead they’re currently in the process of moving back in with his mum, again, after being evicted “so the landlord can live there”, again. This loving country.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Sanford posted:

I just had my covid and flu boosters (because my dads poorly) and timed it because my sister said the guy was really fast. Twenty-eight seconds between him saying “come on then” and me walking out the pharmacy! He was like lightning, amazing service. I said “are you doing flu as well” and he said “I already did, in your other arm.” Didn’t even notice!

That's kind of terrifying

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I see that, courtesy of Yvette Cooper, we have that rarest of things from Labour; a commitment to do something!

And it is...reversing the decision to house asylum claimants at ex-RAF Scampton and removing any people housed there before the next general election.

Why? Is it because housing asylum claimants in a semi-derelict, under-staffed, under-serviced RAF base in the flatlands of Lincolnshire is a bad idea? No! It's because doing so is "disrespectful" to the history of the site, Home of The Dambusters and The Dog With A Slur For A Name.

The one thing - literally the one concrete, articulated policy as far as I can tell - Labour has committed to doing (rather than not doing) so far and it's straight from the 'Pub Lounge Book of Common Sense'.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

For older folks if they're more a content consumer than creator an iPad (with a little Bluetooth keyboard if needed) is ideal for staving off tech worries, they are very hard to break software-wise - since I junked mothers old laptop and bought her a new iPad I have had to do 99% less home support computer janitoring, absolutely worth the outlay from my pocket.

(iPads can be used for writing / spreadsheets / art of course, but I still find them just a little clunky compared to a proper computer)
Just so you know, my wife's uncle bought an iPad for my Gran for the same reason, made a big deal about how easy it is to use, and she's basically never been able to use it properly (she's used to Windows and Android and hates the drat thing).

She's constantly on the phone with my wife trying to work out how to use it, but every time the uncle asks she says it's great because she's embarrassed over the song and dance he gave her about it being easy to use.

Apple products are not, in my experience, easier to use at all.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Honestly for this sort of stuff I just install Linux Mint or one of the specifically-designed low power Linux distros intended for use on computers with a Pentium 3 and 512mb of RAM.
How is Mint compared to Ubuntu? I had Ubuntu 12 on an old laptop a few years ago and it was pretty nice, except at the time it didn't seem to have any concept that a laptop does not need the CPU & fan on full whack all the time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mint is Debian-based, same as Ubuntu but isn't owned by Canonical.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

How is Mint compared to Ubuntu? I had Ubuntu 12 on an old laptop a few years ago and it was pretty nice, except at the time it didn't seem to have any concept that a laptop does not need the CPU & fan on full whack all the time.

It's Ubuntu with a different desktop skin and minus the telemetry, ads, and enforced use of the Snap store.

Laptop power management is A LOT better these days so you might find it running pretty well using XFCE or Mate desktops.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 10, 2023

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Microplastics posted:

I think it's the rise of amazon delivery/food delivery. It's the perfect bed beg delivery method to your home. If one item has them they can spread to everything else in the van/depot.

I have been fighting them on and off for ages. They came to me either by second hand books or a second hand office chair. You can basically import an infestation just like that.

They are incredibly difficult and expensive to get rid of.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

Mint is Debian-based, same as Ubuntu but isn't owned by Canonical.

Isn't Ubuntu the right-hand man to Ra's Al Ghul?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

The good part about that is that cockroaches eat bedbugs according to some article I read.

What eats cockroaches? Do snakes eat cockroaches?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Microplastics posted:

Dracula's familiars.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Isn't Ubuntu the right-hand man to Ra's Al Ghul?

No you're thinking of Abu.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Don't like Ubuntu but have been a Mint user for many years.

Mint is Ubuntu based but Ubuntu is Debian based (nerd info).

I bought my sister in laws iPad years ago but found it crap to use (mouse & keyboard guy).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Isomermaid posted:

You can have a check underneath the mattress when you first get into your room — look for little dark spots in the crevices around the edge on the bottom of the mattress

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Microplastics posted:

Ed Stafford - probably.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

I wonder if ur mum's wobbly hand* would be helped by one of the ergonomic meece like the Microsoft sculpt? Feels much more natural/stable for me.

*(good username there)

I'll take a look with her when she gets round to choosing a new laptop which I hope she will consult me on, not my sister's husband who, in a scene which could have been taken direct from Zoolander, almost burst into tears when my sister swapped his old lumpy monitor for my flat-screen monitor when I was moving abroad and asked in a choked up voice "but what have you done with all my files?"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Toads, frogs and hedgehogs apparently eat the blighters. So just turn the house into a cockroach infested sty and then becoming a rug of painful needles OR constantly be serenaded to sleep by ribbiting budweiser adverts.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah AFAIK Linux Mint is essentially "Ubuntu but we tweaked it" so anything that works on Ubuntu should also work on Mint, and there are various versions that come with a different UI layer for varying levels of lightweight-ness (Cinnamon, Mate or XFCE in order from heaviest-to-lightest). Ubuntu itself was alright last time I used it too, the popular Linux distros in general have come a long way since the days of "installed Linux, doesn't have a WiFi driver for my laptop and now I can't google the problem" of the 2000s and early 2010s.

I don't tend to actually use Linux myself anymore though, as I get older I find I can no longer be arsed to tweak and customise my own computer constantly.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Sanford posted:

The real reason I’m posting is, as usual, just to have a general moan about the state of things: there’s a fancy new estate been built between our village and the next, and between us my wife and I know six local families who have moved onto said estate. We’ve kept an eye on it and four of the six vacated houses sold and went up for rent, one was already rented, and the sixth is being renovated by a corporate landlord so that’ll be the same. Of the five already listed, every single one had a monthly payment more than double our minimum mortgage rate. Three of the five are basically the same semi-detached build as us, the other two are considerably smaller terraces. What are people meant to do? I have a friend, 30yo, who has been trying to settle down with his partner for over five years. Start a family and that. Instead they’re currently in the process of moving back in with his mum, again, after being evicted “so the landlord can live there”, again. This loving country.

My landlord was trying to sell me the house I've been renting for the past 10 years, but he wanted an absurd amount for it considering I knew all of the problems that'd need to get fixed - because of course, the landlord would only ever pay the rock bottom amount he could to stop a problem getting worse, and then if I was lucky, cowboy in some lads to do a terrible job of fixing the leftovers. 6 different roof leaks in 10 years! At least half of them through incomptence of previous work too.

I was fortunate enough to have had a good couple of years through covid to save up enough to afford a deposit, and got the gently caress outta there last week. For the same money he wanted, I have a house with two more bedrooms, a real garden, a garage and a driveway, all of 3 miles away, with a mortgage payment basically the same as my old rent. All in, so far just to get to the point I'm sat in a living room with barely any furniture and surrounded by boxes, it's taken nearly £30k, never mind the time I've incinerated away from working to actually focus on organising all the stuff and getting things packed. I know how lucky I am to be in the position I am, but holy gently caress how can anybody else manage it?

Karma is now busy loving with me though, so I guess all things in balance.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Surprise T Rex posted:

I don't tend to actually use Linux myself anymore though, as I get older I find I can no longer be arsed to tweak and customise my own computer constantly.

This is why Silverblue exists so you just live with the defaults like a Mac user and can't change anything because it's all locked down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Roaches are fine, they don't damage structural materials and they only spread disease if there's filth lying around.

They got unfairly blamed for the problems of bad housing stock and poor maintenance when they just showed up to see what was going on and eat some lice.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Roaches smell and having thousands of them swarming your kitchen every night does not make for good mental health.

Also if you live in a tenement you can not get rid of them because they travel up and down the wall cavities. So basically every flat needs treated simultaneously or they will just keep returning.

If you see a roach best to just move.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 10, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Surprise T Rex posted:

doesn't have a WiFi driver for my laptop and now I can't google the problem" of the 2000s and early 2010s.

That's why everyone needs at least 2 computers :) My old one works fine just very slow and won't upgrade to Windows 11, then there's my netbook (also won't work with Windows 11 but is small enough to take on holiday if there's a slight chance I might need to WFH from abroad eg last year when flights kept getting cancelled) and my Windows 7 old netbook which I would run with the Mint if I could find the Mint USB which I couldn't find yesterday! And then the really old Win XP which doesn't do Wifi but does have a dialup phone hole (only thing I could get online with during the revolution in 2011, just enough to send an email - which reminds me I must update my list of dialup providers, here's one: http://www.quikinternet.co.uk/dialup.php ).

Agree with the Linux - I remember boiling to death while the fans were on 24/7 in our windowless postgrad office at uni (all Unix/Linux), I just want to push a pretty button not go grepping or whatever from the command line. (I do use command line to create my bat files for backups etc so I can do it, just prefer not to!)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Windows Subsystem for Linux is great and now I can have both the Windows experience for games and the Linux experience for productive poo poo. Now if only their implementation of init actually loving init'd it'd be perfect. Instead I just have to manually start autofs after a reboot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

If you see a roach best to just move.
I bet people would react differently if they were the pretty patterned ones.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanford posted:

him saying “come on then”
I said “are you doing flu as well” and he said “I already did, in your other arm.” Didn’t even notice!

Lol, you got done by the Muhammad Ali of vaccination, RIP in pieces

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1711650008456454610

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1711693981447266768

And check out this oval office

https://twitter.com/GNDRising/status/1711719264242069742

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mandelson must have some serious dirt on people to have gotten away so thoroughly with the Jeffrey Epstein stuff that it's taboo to even mention it in the media.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Given how much he's starting to resemble Brick Top, he might just have a farm with a bunch of hungry pigs

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1711731552785149970

:toot:

He looks quite depressed giving his speech covered in glitter

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
lol gottem