Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

RuBisCO posted:

I'm terrified to search for anything on youtube that's not incredibly specific because after like 5 videos related to your search, it'll just shunt a ton of poo poo including ads. This would only be annoying except they once showed me this promoted video ad for ... i dont know skin care or some poo poo that was just a forehead with a bunch of loving holes in it and I have mad trypophobia.

Oh yeah, i got those too. Really weird pimple popper videos with thumbnails that aren't even remotely real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RuBisCO posted:

I'm terrified to search for anything on youtube that's not incredibly specific because after like 5 videos related to your search, it'll just shunt a ton of poo poo including ads. This would only be annoying except they once showed me this promoted video ad for ... i dont know skin care or some poo poo that was just a forehead with a bunch of loving holes in it and I have mad trypophobia.

please block ads

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

SavageMessiah posted:

You can turn off the hover playback in the settings but you have to do it per-device for some asinine reason. It's "Inline playback" under "Playback and performance".

Oh man thanks

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Jawnycat posted:

Oh man thanks

That setting, like hiding shorts, will periodically reactivate itself. The timeline given for that is also a lie.

Because what you and I want doesn't mean poo poo.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

CaptainCrunch posted:

That setting, like hiding shorts, will periodically reactivate itself. The timeline given for that is also a lie.

Because what you and I want doesn't mean poo poo.

I've never had it reactivate except by switching browsers or something since the setting is stored locally.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have a Pinterest account for my work email because I like/ liked getting ideas for lessons, but after they started emailing me about EVERY possible category I showed interest in, resulting in 5+ emails a day, I went in and disabled notifications.

It stopped for a week, then they started sending them again, like I’d never asked them to stop.

The future is so stupid. I think companies just realized that what the customer thinks doesn’t matter, it’s the stockholders.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Youtube seems to have finally started cracking down on ad blockers I guess because it started scolding me for using my browser's built in one. Finally got me to download ublock origin, which still works fine. Kinda funny that they didn't start going after the most prominent adblocker that everyone uses as part of their campaign :shrug:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Beartaco posted:

Just post a brief description rather than dumping videos in a thread (or worse, dumping an X that'll write the description for you).

It should look like this, which already describes what it is.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 10, 2023

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I assume that they did, but that adblocker was presumably better at fighting back.

Their strategy of driving people to use only the most effective adblockers will surely pay off sooner or later.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RuBisCO posted:

I'm terrified to search for anything on youtube that's not incredibly specific because after like 5 videos related to your search, it'll just shunt a ton of poo poo including ads.

Yeah, I've gotten obsessive about having watch history off most of the time because the very instant you watch something unusual the algorithm will go hog wild with it. God help you if you watch the wrong sort of history video.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Facebook marketplace was never good but it's entirely replaced the local Craigslist analog and it's loving annoying because it uses poo poo fuzzy logic and a search of "ford panelvan" will return 1 result for a match followed by literally every other listing that includes "ford" or "van" of which there is probably 30,000 for sale, before it extends outside my radius for exact matches. Similarly, searching "ampeg" to find a bass amp of that brand will return results for the brand mixed in with hundreds of ads for other brands of bass amps.

It's started to insert advertising into the marketplace page too, so I guess this is by design so you have to scroll thru thousands of listings endlessly to find anything, getting fed ads the whole time.

Outlook search is also hosed now. We had a few good years where search worked like it should, what the gently caress happened?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SavageMessiah posted:

You can turn off the hover playback in the settings but you have to do it per-device for some asinine reason. It's "Inline playback" under "Playback and performance".

Turns out I already had this off.
I had forgotten that there was something even worse than the weird animated GIF effect that you get after you turn it off.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

The future is so stupid. I think companies just realized that what the customer thinks doesn’t matter, it’s the stockholders.

They are also legally required to do this, more or less.

punct
Jan 9, 2022
I haven’t seen this yet but YT has been rolling this out apparently. It was just a matter of time, but drat

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

I have a Pinterest account for my work email because I like/ liked getting ideas for lessons, but after they started emailing me about EVERY possible category I showed interest in, resulting in 5+ emails a day, I went in and disabled notifications.

It stopped for a week, then they started sending them again, like I’d never asked them to stop.

I once worked for a company where the marketing director refused to believe that around half of the customers in our database had opted out of marketing information. He demanded that I 'accidentally' opt everyone in and if there was any backlash then to blame it on a computer glitch. I refused, because not only is that illegal in the UK but I was the registered data protection officer for the company, meaning I personally would be on the hook.

I quit a few months later, then found out they made my replacement do it. They received absolutely fuckloads of complaints, primarily because their customer base is entirely retirees, and it turns out people get very upset when they receive marketing addressed to their dead spouse when they specifically asked you to stop.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I got grandfathered into youtube premium for 8/mo for getting google music 100 years ago and I'm waiting for that to die

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They are also legally required to do this, more or less.

Like only in the loosest sense. They do a good job of promoting the impression that they’re basically forced to do evil poo poo.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Quote-Unquote posted:

I once worked for a company where the marketing director refused to believe that around half of the customers in our database had opted out of marketing information.

Marketing people have this weird earnestness in their belief that some people genuinely want their crap. Bernays once wrote that if marketeers provided lovely information that people would mostly stop listening to them and their job would become much harder. That ship has so loving sailed.

I don’t think marketing has been an even remotely reliable source of information for anything other than maybe movies and local events since the boomers. I believe there probably exist discounts and events I’d like to know about but there is zero chance that a marketeer can be trusted to keep me informed in a worthwhile manner.

It’s getting to the point where even my work email is so filled with various attempts to promote people and departments that it’s become useless.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I've had to uninstall and reinstall discord again.

I can't wait until there's a new app for voice calls and we begin the exodus and slow decline into enshittification cycle again.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Youtube seems to have finally started cracking down on ad blockers I guess because it started scolding me for using my browser's built in one. Finally got me to download ublock origin, which still works fine. Kinda funny that they didn't start going after the most prominent adblocker that everyone uses as part of their campaign :shrug:

they're trying not to bleed their entire userbase all at the same time. they know that this decision will cost them viewers. typically any sort of price increase/implementation like this means that ~20% of users will attrite.

which means the company will need to tighten its controls to mitigate the loss

which means even stricter adblock eventually

ring the funeral bell for youtube.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Fishbowl is getting LinkedIn level discourse. "What are your companies thoughts on the Isrea..." :staredog:

But maybe this is me noticing it was always garbage.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I once worked for a company where the marketing director refused to believe that around half of the customers in our database had opted out of marketing information. He demanded that I 'accidentally' opt everyone in and if there was any backlash then to blame it on a computer glitch. I refused, because not only is that illegal in the UK but I was the registered data protection officer for the company, meaning I personally would be on the hook.

I quit a few months later, then found out they made my replacement do it. They received absolutely fuckloads of complaints, primarily because their customer base is entirely retirees, and it turns out people get very upset when they receive marketing addressed to their dead spouse when they specifically asked you to stop.

It's absolutely blowing my mind that fully half of the people receiving marketing emails continue to receive them when they have the option to stop.

punct
Jan 9, 2022
If I don't unsubscribe from everything, it all becomes unusable since every company's opt-in criteria is "did you enter your email address somewhere on our site"

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Black Noise posted:

Fishbowl is getting LinkedIn level discourse. "What are your companies thoughts on the Isrea..." :staredog:

But maybe this is me noticing it was always garbage.

I never signed up, but used to get spam emails to my company email address that showed recent posts or whatever to try to get me to sign up. I bowed out and memory holed it once it got to “my company is forcing me to be vaccinated.”

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cerekk posted:

It's absolutely blowing my mind that fully half of the people receiving marketing emails continue to receive them when they have the option to stop.

This was almost entirely postal marketing! This was just over a decade ago, and most of the customers were 70+ and had no desire to use email or the internet in general. 95% of sales were from them receiving marketing then calling in. Some were probably lonely so having a salesperson on the phone was nice for them. Which is really loving sad :(

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Cerekk posted:

When I signed up for the extended warranty for my Bosch power tools one of the conditions was that I had to continue to be subscribed to their mailing list. Unsubscribing at any point would forfeit the warranty extension.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

DrPossum posted:

I got grandfathered into youtube premium for 8/mo for getting google music 100 years ago and I'm waiting for that to die

Unless they're doing it in waves, they are kicking all of us off the grandfathered prices starting with the December bill.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I got a scant three months of YouTube Premium free when I got my new phone and it runs out in a couple days.

I don't know if I can go back. The non-Premium youtube sucks so much rear end. Like it's not even just the ads, but Premium allows for basic functionality like screen-off playback and picture in picture mode, both things I use extensively.

I mostly watch YouTube on my phone so can't even install an adblocker.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Adblockers won't work with youtube, soon.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Use the website in Firefox with an adblocker of choice. There's also a 'play in background' plugin for firefox.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

I mostly watch YouTube on my phone so can't even install an adblocker.

there's a firefox browser for phones which also lets you install an adblocker, i have not used the youtube app since i discovered this

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
After they kill the ad blockers the Premium subscriptions will rise for a quarter or so and level off, and I expect it'll become Limited Ads and we'll get Premium Plus (full no ads) for $6 more a month. That'll get the numbers up for another quarter out of the most dedicated

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

Use the website in Firefox with an adblocker of choice. There's also a 'play in background' plugin for firefox.

Newpipe also plays youtube videos with the screen off on your phone.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
invidious works with sponsorblock and now there are multiple plugins to automatically redirect youtube links to an instance. Kagi also supports replacing youtube links in its’ results.

As an added benefit all invidious instances are full of neckbeards so your front page comes automatically populated with LGR, computerphile, and techmoan videos without signing in or keeping a viewing history.

I can’t say if that’s more premium than youtube premium but its gotta be pretty close.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i do screen off play on youtube all the time on ios by full screening it and then swiping home so it's playing picture in picture, then i can turn off the screen and it keeps playing

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
No, I dont want to install a spyware app to look at a website. Oh cool, open desktop site does nothing. Awesome.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
In addition to phone Firefox, there are forks of Chrome that let you install extensions as normal.

No matter how good they get at blocking adblockers (uBlock Origin's default lists already get around it), in the worst case we'll still be able to have extensions that black out the screen and mute the audio until the ad is done playing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I do all my youtubeing via xbox so I caved early last year and started paying for ad free youtube, and it might honestly have been the best investment I have ever made. Although I do resent their part in making a world where I have to pay a monthly fee to not go blind with rage every 45 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Youtube's ads are going to come from the same server as the video feed itself, similar to things like Twitch. It won't be possible to block them until ad blockers become sophisticated enough to somehow predict ads, recognize them, and accurately transpose the video to the point where the in-line ad 'ends' and/or offer you some sort of other 'break' screen while YouTube demands its ad timer expire. Undoubtedly even if ad blockers become this good, they will be easy to mitigate by advertisers and YouTube itself by changing small elements at any time in the way ads are presented or otherwise caught.

Between now and ??? (probably a few months) they will roll out warnings first, then the ads. They'll do it slowly to not scare everybody away at once and to bleed people into subscribing.

You can still use some things like UBlock for now.

Eventually, no ad blocker will work to stop ads. No browser will work to stop ads. You won't be able to PiHole the ads away because that will also block the video itself.*

*at first.

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 10, 2023