Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nogoodpeople
Oct 9, 2023

by Modern Video Games

Jimlit posted:

Have the rapes even been confirmed or is this just more racist bullshit?

Of course they have been. Are you even following the news?

Violence begets violence. Hamas knew that these actions would provoke a extreme response from Israel. There's no two ways about it. They don't really care about what happen to the civilians in Gaza. If they did they wouldn't have indiscriminately killed a bunch of Civilians.

Once again people here seem to care more about the crimes committed by Israel then the crimes commited by Hamas. All violence is bad. All of this is unjustified. You can't simply decide to pick a side and say "Doing X is ok because Y did Z." That's extremely childish and fundamentally a destructive way to view the world that will end up killing all of humanity.

Beyond that, blaming the ravers and saying they deserved to be murdered and rape for going to a rave in Israel on the grounds that is an apartheid state or because of how it treats Palestinians is loving insane.

There is not a single nation or region on this planet that you can't find moral qualms with. America? Practically an apartheid state full of racists and murderers. Europe? A ethnocentric region who is actively trying to kill refugees from other nations, historically the source of thousands of pogroms against jews and other forms of ethnic cleansing. The birthplace of Facism. Australia? They run concentration camps in Papau New Guinea. Asia? Ethnocentric nations that hate immigrants and each other. Central & South America? Countries inhabited by the descendants of Spaniards who killed and raped all the natives.

By that loving logic you can't ever go to a party anywhere or ever have fun. By that logic just loving kill yourself there isn't a moral nation on the planet you can live in. We should all be dead serious and never have fun ever in our lives.

There is not a moral nation on earth. Period. There is not a moral person on earth. Period.

BUUNNI posted:

The IDF is doing way worse things to larger numbers of people in the past and currently so if your concern is innocent victims then I’m not sure the handwringing about Hamas is going to lead to less blood being spilled.

And that is not ok. Two wrongs do not make a right. Sorry! Reacting to violence with more violence only escalates the violence and leads to the inevitable conclusion of genocide.

We want to deescelate the situation. Not escalate it.

Israel is amassing 100,000 troops on the Border of Gaza. They will enter Gaza and raze it to the ground. They will permanently annex the region.

Those are the consequences of escalation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nogoodpeople fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

kiminewt posted:

I've regained my composure and wandered back into the thread.

Israel claims that atm there are 123 dead soldiers and 41 dead policemen on their side and the total death count is around 1000. That's a little over 80% civilians. Hamas militants went into 12 towns and by most accounts just went house to house shooting indiscriminately and sometimes putting houses on fire.

I don't see how something like that can be 'unintentional', it had to have come from above.

If I had to guess what their goals were, it's to create an atmosphere of fear that might cause Israel to be more belligerent over the next few years but eventually be more amenable to some sort of deal, when the bloodlust has sated? Otherwise this doesn't make sense to me.

Edit: Being less clear cut.
Edit 2: Israel put the policemen death count at 41.

It probably didn't have any particular strategic reason or tactical reason beyond being revenge for some or all of these:

I don't want to be flippant here, but I think you're vastly underestimating how rare "a bunch of soldiers go house to house shooting indiscriminately" actually is in the Israel/Palestine conflict. You don't see it as much these days since the various sides rarely send ground troops into each other's territories for anything more than brief raids, but I imagine there's something about being penned into an open-air prison and bombed incessantly that helps keep the memories of decades-old massacres quite fresh.

This doesn't justify it, of course. Ideally, nobody in the conflict would be going door-to-door rounding up and shooting civilians. However, this sort of brutality has unfortunately long been a feature of the Israel/Palestine conflict, on both sides, with so many massacres and reprisal killings over the years that it doesn't make much sense to look at any particular act as a separate individual act. Each one is just another depressing thread in this century-long tapestry of brutal massacres.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BUUNNI posted:

The IDF is doing way worse things to larger numbers of people in the past and currently so if your concern is innocent victims then I’m not sure the handwringing about Hamas is going to lead to less blood being spilled.

Why not? Are they not responsible somehow? How on earth is pointing out that Hamas explicitly targeted some of the most innocent and least responsible people for the whole conflict with maximum violence then only to share it on their social media as some sort of victory?

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Jimlit posted:

Have the rapes even been confirmed or is this just more racist bullshit?

An austrian newspaper had a report about calls coming from palestinian numbers to missing persons relatives saying things like "We are Hamas, you israelis have beautiful daughters" with screams heard in the background.

There're also loads of heinous and suggestive videos going over telegram, but it'll take a while for everything to come out and get confirmed as fake or real.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

nogoodpeople posted:

Of course they have been. Are you even following the news?

Could you then post such a thing?
E:Oh we're in slow mode, so if not you then than someone else.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Why not? Are they not responsible somehow? How on earth is pointing out that Hamas explicitly targeted some of the most innocent and least responsible people for the whole conflict with maximum violence then only to share it on their social media as some sort of victory?

It's just weird to keep giving it the same weight as a much larger scale, even more indiscriminate brutality going on. Israel is targeting some of the most innocent and least responsible people for the whole conflict with maximum violence and parading it on social media while hollering for victory over their enemies as well. And they are much better at it than Hamas is. While being celebrated by our own elected governments! Palestinians don't even have the capacity to elect an alternative to Hamas, as they have had the right to elections taken away from them. And now over a million children are being collectively punished, bombed to rubble while being called terrorists and having their deaths cheered on.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's very likely that rapes happened, because it's a war with soldiers. If I'm not mistaken, there's also at least one IDF commander (general? going off the casualties from Hamas' raids every IDF soldier has an inflated rank) who's notorious for believing that it's ok to rape non-Jews. Luckily the IDF never gets far enough in a ground offensive for that to matter much.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

nogoodpeople posted:

And that is not ok. Two wrongs do not make a right. Sorry! Reacting to violence with more violence only escalates the violence and leads to the inevitable conclusion of genocide.

We want to deescelate the situation. Not escalate it.

Israel is amassing 100,000 troops on the Border of Gaza. They will enter Gaza and raze it to the ground. They will permanently annex the region.

You're right. The IDF should not be massing troops at the border and, instead of escalating the situation by bombing innocent civilians with no connection to this attack and massacring them in the hundreds to thousands, they should instead negotiate with Hamas to deescalate the situation. The ball's in Israel's court.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

nogoodpeople posted:

Violence begets violence.

:words:

Good post. I don't get why it's so hard to understand that it's possible for both Israel and the West bare responsibility for the conflict and at the same time Hamas is still responsible for targeting innocent civilians that essentially have nothing to with it at all.

nogoodpeople posted:

I fully believe Israel is going to destroy Hamas. They're going to invade Gaza and won't stop until their are gone. The next year is going to be ugly. :ohdear:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nogoodpeople posted:

All violence is bad. All of this is unjustified. You can't simply decide to pick a side and say "Doing X is ok because Y did Z." That's extremely childish and fundamentally a destructive way to view the world that will end up killing all of humanity.

Beyond that, blaming the ravers and saying they deserved to be murdered and rape for going to a rave in Israel on the grounds that is an apartheid state or because of how it treats Palestinians is loving insane.

nogoodpeople posted:

Two wrongs do not make a right. Sorry! Reacting to violence with more violence only escalates the violence and leads to the inevitable conclusion of genocide.

These seem like sensible statements.

But aren't you directly contradicting yourself here?

nogoodpeople posted:

They don't really care about what happen to the civilians in Gaza. If they did they wouldn't have indiscriminately killed a bunch of Civilians.

nogoodpeople posted:

It sure does look to me like you're applying this unevenly. You're insisting that Hamas' actions are unjustified and that Hamas shouldn't react to violence with more violence. But you're only applying that to Hamas' actions. If you intended the same statements to also cover Israel's actions, then you're not really doing a good job of making it clear. You're condemning Hamas for responding to violence with violence, but I don't see any condemnation here for Israel responding to violence with violence. If Hamas killing Israeli civilians means that they don't care about the civilians of Gaza, does Israel killing Palestinian civilians also mean that they don't care about the civilians of Israel? You're laying out lofty universal principles, but seem to be applying them very inconsistently, and the self-contradictions stand out pretty hard in your posts.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

https://twitter.com/netanyahu/status/1711699807058767989

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Main actions on the docket for Hamas so far, apparently:

- Ashkelon is getting bombed in 30 minutes or so (they gave out the warning to evacuate an hour and thirty ago)
- Ben-Gurion airport is going to be bombed
- Tel-Aviv ditto
- Yesterday Hamas delivered an ultimatum; if Israel performs a bombing run without warning civilians in advance they will publicly execute a PoW. Remains to be seen if they stick to this, seeing as Israel is going full bloodlust anyways (they might not have enough PoW's to keep up with the rage bombing)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mischievous Mink posted:

It's just weird to keep giving it the same weight as a much larger scale, even more indiscriminate brutality going on. Israel is targeting some of the most innocent and least responsible people for the whole conflict with maximum violence and parading it on social media while hollering for victory over their enemies as well. And they are much better at it than Hamas is. While being celebrated by our own elected governments! Palestinians don't even have the capacity to elect an alternative to Hamas, as they have had the right to elections taken away from them. And now over a million children are being collectively punished, bombed to rubble while being called terrorists and having their deaths cheered on.

Who says I am giving this incident anymore importance over any other horrific thing that happens in war? The point here it doesn't matter what Israel does or does do but what Hamas did because simply the idea they're compelled to go on mass shooting of dumb twenty-something popping molly at a rave or abducting Jacob's Grandmother at her Kibbutz is absolutely loving psychotic.

Yes, I've seen the videos of Gaza strip being bombed too.

nogoodpeople
Oct 9, 2023

by Modern Video Games

TGLT posted:

You're right. The IDF should not be massing troops at the border and, instead of escalating the situation by bombing innocent civilians with no connection to this attack and massacring them in the hundreds to thousands, they should instead negotiate with Hamas to deescalate the situation. The ball's in Israel's court.

They absolutely shouldn't. But they will because they believe that this is a existential conflict for the state of Israel and protection for the Jews that live there. Given the history of the Jewish people it's understandable if viewed from that lens.

Equally the Palestinians see there conflict as existential. But i'll remind you that the Palestinian people are one of many groups of Arab descent in the general Levant region and Israel is the only country in the region that is majority non-arabic. It is a nation surrounded by countries it considers to be enemies. Palestine's areas meanwhile border severalother muslim countries including several ones that are ethnically arabic ones. The land now categorized as Israel has changed hands multiple times over the past 2000 years and been governed by many different entities.

Israel's actions against the Palestinian people in Gaza and the West Bank are inexcusable. Hamas actions against the Israeli population in the border region of Gaza are inexcusable as well.

Ideally we should be seeking a way to de-escalate the situation. But I fear that the indiscriminate killing of innocent civilians during this invasion has made that unviable. The Israeli people just as the Palestinian people; want blood. And they will have it.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Who says I am giving this incident anymore importance over any other horrific thing that happens in war? The point here it doesn't matter what Israel does or does do but what Hamas did because simply the idea they're compelled to go on mass shooting of dumb twenty-something popping molly at a rave or abducting Jacob's Grandmother at her Kibbutz is absolutely loving psychotic.

Israel actually has a ton to do with Hamas and what they are like in 2023.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Mass graves recently unearthed at Kibbutz Kfar Aza, included 40 infants and babies that were shot or beheaded.

Video doesn't show anything graphic, but still horrifying.

The town only had a population of about 745.

https://twitter.com/i24NEWS_EN/status/1711697093151056355

The U.N. also says that there are now 187,000 people internally displaced in Gaza as they flee major cities and areas around Hamas buildings that are being bombed.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1711740709529686203

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 10, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mischievous Mink posted:

Israel actually has a ton to do with Hamas and what they are like in 2023.

They do, I mentioned that earlier. The United States is also responsible them getting control of the Palestinians government granted it was largely Bush Jr. and the GOPs doing.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 5, 2023

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

nogoodpeople posted:

They absolutely shouldn't. But they will because they believe that this is a existential conflict for the state of Israel and protection for the Jews that live there. Given the history of the Jewish people it's understandable if viewed from that lens.

Equally the Palestinians see there conflict as existential. But i'll remind you that the Palestinian people are one of many groups of Arab descent in the general Levant region and Israel is the only country in the region that is majority non-arabic. It is a nation surrounded by countries it considers to be enemies. Palestine's areas meanwhile border severalother muslim countries including several ones that are ethnically arabic ones. The land now categorized as Israel has changed hands multiple times over the past 2000 years and been governed by many different entities.

There really is no point continuing any discussion with anyone who thinks along these lines in 2023

nogoodpeople
Oct 9, 2023

by Modern Video Games

Spice World War II posted:

There really is no point continuing any discussion with anyone who thinks along these lines in 2023

Yes, how dare I try to analyze a situation from both sides :rolleyes:.

And you wonder why the world has gone to the shitter. People are incapable of viewing and analyzing more than one point of view in a conflict. It's the same situation in the Russia-Ukraine war.

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

Spice World War II posted:

Reg date October 9, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Same. They could have easily have chosen to pick military targets but instead choose civilians at rave? History is full of oppressed minorities and many of them got their freedom without resorting to Columbine-esq. shootings.

probably because one tend to take less casualties killing ravers than soldiers

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

nogoodpeople posted:

Israel's actions against the Palestinian people in Gaza and the West Bank are inexcusable. Hamas actions against the Israeli population in the border region of Gaza are inexcusable as well.

Ideally we should be seeking a way to de-escalate the situation. But I fear that the indiscriminate killing of innocent civilians during this invasion has made that unviable. The Israeli people just as the Palestinian people; want blood. And they will have it.

You are expecting the Palestinians to find within themselves the wherewithal to not resort to indiscriminate violence while at the same time taking Israel's use of the same as inevitable. It doesn't really matter how much leaning into this would help the Palestinians in the short term, the fact remains that you are accepting/normalizing the subjugator-subjugated relationship, and are getting well-deserved pushback, if only for that alone.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

nogoodpeople posted:

The Israeli people just as the Palestinian people; want blood. And they will have it.

The gently caress is this corny, wannabe profound bullshit? The Palestinians have wanted to be treated as human beings and not kept in an open air prison, you absolute mad man. The Palestinians don't "want blood", what the actual gently caress.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For what it's worth, the 'changed hands' meme is a lot less relevant in light of the fact that Palestinians are extremely likely to be descendents of Judeans who converted to Islam rather than partake in the rebellions against Rome/refuse to convert afterwards. They aren't carpetbaggers, they just intermarried with arabic groups. Their claim is just as strong as any mizrahim jew.

E: it also makes the whole goal of Israel darkly ironic; to create a 'safe haven for jews' they've violently subjugated the children of ancient jews.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 10, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aramis posted:

You are expecting the Palestinians to find within themselves the wherewithal to not resort to indiscriminate violence while at the same time taking Israel's use of the same as inevitable. It doesn't really matter how much leaning into this would help the Palestinians in the short term, the fact remains that you are accepting/normalizing the subjugator-subjugated relationship, and are getting well-deserved pushback, if only for that alone.

The vast vast majority of Palestinians aren't resorting to indiscriminate violence. Even other actively violent groups have never hit close to a 1,000 civilians in a day before. It is basically just Hamas, but people keep conflating Hamas with "the Palestinian people," which is definitely not the case. Hamas doesn't even exist in the West Bank.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Brucolac posted:

Reg date October 9, 2023

and has only posted in this thread, at that

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

frytechnician posted:

The gently caress is this corny, wannabe profound bullshit? The Palestinians have wanted to be treated as human beings and not kept in an open air prison, you absolute mad man. The Palestinians don't "want blood", what the actual gently caress.

Its just old "oh the human nature! the cycle of violence!" bullshit so we can forget that one side is an occupation force with a modern army and the other is the occupied and violently oppressed people under their boot

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The vast vast majority of Palestinians aren't resorting to indiscriminate violence. Even other actively violent groups have never hit close to a 1,000 civilians in a day before. It is basically just Hamas, but people keep conflating Hamas with "the Palestinian people," which is definitely not the case. Hamas doesn't even exist in the West Bank.

The IDF has repeatedly killed over 1,000 civilians in a day before.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Does anyone have a comprehensive and digestible podcast or video that describes the Israel/Palestine conflict up to modern times?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

nogoodpeople posted:

Yes, how dare I try to analyze a situation from both sides :rolleyes:.
But you're not. You're analyzing it from one side and applying it to both sides. You have a window and you've positioned it such that you see both entities, but only one side.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Please just sandbag the guy who registered yesterday specifically to post in this thread with braindead bullshit and batman quotes. You do not in fact have to respond to people who clearly arguing in bad faith. Just let him scream into the void.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

kolby posted:

Are you saying that Hamas just had a few bad apples and hopefully they'll train their soldiers better in the future?

Chalking up rapes and murders to "lack of discipline" seems odd to me.

I can't explain why it seems odd to you, but it's the reality of war, especially with volunteer armies. When you send men out with weapons to do violence, it's very difficult to get them to only do the violence you want them to do, and not whatever violence they think is necessary or they think they'd enjoy.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Mass graves recently unearthed at Kibbutz Kfar Aza, included 40 infants and babies that were shot or beheaded.

Video doesn't show anything graphic, but still horrifying.

The town only had a population of about 745.

https://twitter.com/i24NEWS_EN/status/1711697093151056355
loving Christ.
This is guaranteed to end with the total destruction of Gaza now. Any other outcome is pure fantasy at this point.

nogoodpeople
Oct 9, 2023

by Modern Video Games

frytechnician posted:

Specifically the Palestinian and the Israeli leaders. Hamas lead Gaza and Netanyahu and co lead Israel.

I'm sure a good amount of both populations also desire blood. If they didn't there wouldn't be this kind of conflict.

You seem to think there's a thing such as free will. That doesn't exist. There is only action and reaction. Simple science.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Yeah, what kind of psychos would go through a residential area kicking down doors and shooting anyone inside?

Now, in something that will surely be completely and totally unrelated to that question, let's review a collection of articles from Israel's 2008 invasion of Gaza:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/palestinianauthority/4290553/Gaza-Palestinian-family-mourns-48-dead.html

quote:

Gaza: Palestinian family mourns 48 dead
Members of a Palestinian family which lost 48 members in Israel's military assault on Gaza have given their first full account of the bloodshed.

The sight of her dead four-year-old son's blood splashed on a breeze-block wall was enough to start Zinad Samouni sobbing.

But the 35-year-old Palestinian mother of eight then composed herself to give the most complete first hand allegation yet of atrocities committed by Israeli forces when they occupied the village of Zeitoun on the outskirts of Gaza City.

Standing in the wreckage of her home she described the cold-blooded shooting of her 46-year-old husband, Atiyeh, and her son, Ahmed, in an incident that could form the core of a war crimes investigation against Israel.

The United Nations commissioner for human rights, Navi Pillay, has already said Israel should be investigated for what happened in Zeitoun on between Jan 4 and Jan 5.

So far dozens of bodies, mostly women, children and elderly, have been recovered, almost all from the same Samouni extended family.

The 48th – horribly decomposed - corpse was found on Monday but there are fears others lie under the rubble and soil churned up by Israeli armoured vehicles.

"We had been in our houses for days worried about the airstrikes when the soldiers came early on the morning of Sunday 4th January,'' Zinad Samouni told The Daily Telegraph.

"There was shooting outside and we were all afraid so we all hid in this one room.''

Pushing open the bullet-scarred door she listed the people who were there; her husband, his first wife, Zahwe, 42, with her seven sons, a cousin, Hamdi, and herself with her eight children.

"We were terrified as shells hit the roof in other parts of the house but we thought we were lucky because they did not hit our room.

"Eventually we heard soldiers coming in and banging on the door at around 6.30am.

"Atiyeh went to the door with his hands raised holding his ID but they shot him in the doorway and he fell forward.''

Faraj Samouni, 22, Zahwe's son, said that the children inside the room then started to scream as Israeli soldiers entered.

"I shouted 'children, children' in Hebrew but they started shooting,'' he said.

"Ahmed was hit two times. His sister Amal was hit in the head and she is still in hospital.''

Zinad Samouni tearfully pointed at a lick of blood on the wall and then turned over the mattress the children had been sitting on to show more blood.

"I carried him in my arms still bleeding and we had to step over the body of his father,'' she said. "We had to leave Atiyeh but I hoped to save Ahmed.

"He died as I carried him.''

Atiyeh lay decomposing for almost two weeks where he had been shot while Israeli soldiers occupied a four-storey house next door, leaving a collection of racist graffiti.

Most was written in Hebrew but Israeli soldiers had also marked the walls in English, with messages such as "ARabs need 2 die'', "Arabs are pieces of poo poo'' and "1 is DOWN 999,999 TO GO''.

The house was the only large property allowed to stand by the Israeli army, which set about flattening all the other buildings in Zeitoun including homes, the mosque and a chicken farm.

They used it as an observation post from where to watch the open ground around Zeitoun which guards the southern approaches to Gaza City.

What happened in the house of Wael Samouni, 39, almost opposite the four-storey structure, is also likely to figure in any war crimes investigation.

Survivors alleged that Israeli forces shepherded a large group of about 110 members of the Samouni family inside and they then shelled it. At least 30 bodies were recovered from the wreckage.

It is now barely recognisable as a building because it was flattened by the Israeli armed forces.

Next door Faris Samouni, 59, the father of Wael, picked through the wreckage of his own house and wept as he explained what happened to his wife, Rizka.

"Our house has a corrugated iron roof and she thought it would be safer to go next door to Wael's house because it had a concrete roof,'' he said, with tears welling in his eyes.

"But she was not safer and I was able to runaway but she stayed inside the house and was killed.''

Her badly decayed body was only found on Sunday, after Israeli troops pulled back from Zeitoun and a thorough search of the site was possible.

Ambulance drivers were shot at by Israeli forces when they first tried to reach the dead and wounded in the village.

They have since made four visits, collecting 48 bodies so far.

The International Committee of the Red Cross reminded Israel of its obligations towards civilians under the rules of war when ambulance crew found children in Zeitoun clinging to the corpses of their mothers.

The children had been out in the open for two days and nights but Israeli forces, less than 100 yards away, did nothing.

The Israeli army has denied acting improperly in Zeitoun.

https://archive.ph/QCdRU

quote:

Israeli soldiers admit to deliberate killing of Gaza civilians

The Israeli army has been forced to open an investigation into the conduct of its troops in Gaza after damning testimony from its own front line soldiers revealed the killing of civilians and rules of engagement so lax that one combatant said that they amounted on occasion to “cold-blooded murder”.

The revelations, compiled by the head of an Israel military academy who declared that he was “shocked” at the findings, come as international rights groups are calling for independent inquiries into the conduct of both sides in the three-week Israeli offensive against Palestinian Islamists.

The soldiers’ testimonies include accounts of an unarmed old woman being shot at a distance of 100 yards, a woman and her two children being killed after Israeli soldiers ordered them from their house into the line of fire of a sniper and soldiers clearing houses by shooting anyone they encountered on sight.

“That’s the beauty of Gaza. You see a man walking, he doesn’t have to have a weapon, and you can shoot him,” one soldier told Danny Zamir, the head of the Rabin pre-military academy, who asked him why a company commander ordered an elderly woman to be shot.

"I gathered the graduate students of the course who fought in Gaza, to hear their impressions from the fighting. I wasn't prepared for any of the stuff I heard there. I was shocked,” Mr Zamir said. “I think that the writing was on the wall, but we just didn't want to see it, we didn't want to face it."

One non-commissioned officer told Mr Zamir, himself a deputy battalion commander in the reserves, that the army “fired a lot of rounds and killed a lot of people in order for us not to be injured or shot at.

"When we entered a house, we were supposed to bust down the door and start shooting inside and just go up storey by storey… I call that murder. Each storey, if we identify a person, we shoot them. I asked myself – how is this reasonable?"

The same unnamed NCO said that his commanding officer ordered soldiers on to a rooftop to shoot an old woman crossing a main street during the fighting, which a Palestinian rights groups said left 1,434 people dead, 960 of them civilians.

"I don't know whether she was suspicious, not suspicious, I don't know her story,” the NCO said. “I do know that my officer sent people to the roof in order to take her out… It was cold-blooded murder."

Another NCO recounted a military blunder that led to a mother and her two children being shot dead by an Israeli sniper. "We had taken over the house… and the family was released and told to go right. A mother and two children got confused and went left… The sniper on the roof wasn't told that this was okay and that he shouldn't shoot… you can say he just did what he was told… he was told not to let anyone approach the left flank and he shot at them.

"I don't know whether he first shot at their feet or not, but he killed them," the soldier said.

The soldiers’ accounts were submitted anonymously at a meeting at the academy around a month ago. The Israel army said that it had started an investigation, but that this was the first time it had heard such testimony, despite having debriefed troops itself.

Breaking The Silence, an organisation of former soldiers who gather witness accounts from troops in the Palestinian territories, said that its own investigation into Operation Cast Lead, as the war was known in Israel, had revealed a similar picture of the fighting.

“It’s definitely in line with what we are hearing,” said one of the researchers.

Another disturbing element reported by the soldiers was the role of military rabbis in distributing booklets that framed the fighting as a religious war. “All these articles had a clear message: we are the Jewish people, we have come to the land by miraculous means, and now we have to fight to remove the Gentiles who are getting in our way and preventing us from occupying the Holy Land… a great many soldiers had a feeling throughout this operation of a religious war,” said one soldier.

There were also accounts of soldiers being ordered to throw all the furniture out of Palestinians’ homes as they were taken over.

“We simply threw everything out the windows to make room and order. The entire contents of the house flew out the windows: refrigerator, plates, furniture. The order was to remove the entire contents of the house.”

The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights released the names of 1,417 Gazans that it says were killed in the war, saying that 926 were civilians. The Israeli Government contends that most of those killed were combatants or legitimate targets.

https://ghostarchive.org/archive/PMasv

quote:

Israel invaded Gaza at the end of 2008 in a bid to halt rocket attacks from the territory it ceded in 2005. It says it focused on military targets controlled by Hamas, the Palestinian militant group, and bitterly countered a 2009 United Nations report that stated civilians had been deliberately targeted.

But in startling interviews with Israeli filmmaker Nurit Kedar, former soldiers have for the first time allowed themselves to be named while blaming their commanders for encouraging a "disproportionate" response to Hamas's rockets. They said their commanders used to "psych up" soldiers before an operation so they were ready to shoot indiscriminately.

One soldier says he was told to shell every house in a neighbourhood. Richard Goldstone's report for the UN alleged that war crimes had been committed by both sides, but highlighted the moral and legal severity of the Israel's attacks.

Israel has said its operational orders during the war emphasised "proportionality" and "humanity". The importance of minimising harm to civilians was made clear to soldiers, it said at the time. By the end of the 22-day operation some 1,400 Palestinians had been killed and large areas of Gaza razed. Ten Israeli soldiers and three Israeli civilians also died.

In a report to be shown on Channel 4 News on Monday, Ohad, a 24-year-old tank commander, remembers being told the night before the operation that the entry into Gaza was to be "disproportionate". Once into Gaza, he said his orders were unambiguous: "The order was very clear that if a car came within 200 metres of me I could simply shoot at it. Shoot a shell at it."

He added: "We needed to cleanse the neighbourhoods, the buildings, the area. It sounds really terrible to say 'cleanse', but those were the orders....I don't want to make a mistake with the words."

Shay, a 30-year-old who was in the Elite Combat Unit, says he was disgusted by the behaviour of some conscripts in the Israeli army. He described taking over from the them the house of a wealthy Palestinian family. Conscripts, he said, had already defecated all over the bathroom. Family photos had been scrawled over. Graffiti on the walls read: "Long live Israel."

Last year, the UN criticised Israel and Hamas for failing adequately to investigate the findings of its report. The Israeli embassy said yesterday: "Over 12,000 rockets and shells rained down on Israeli civilians from Gaza forcing the IDF [Israel Defence Forces] to carry out a military operation. Unlike much of the region, the open society within Israel allows for all allegations such as these to be aired and investigated. Israel has already authorised over 100 separate investigations into the operation, five broader investigations, and close to 50 criminal investigations are also taking place. Our judicial process is renowned across the world for its independence."

I really don't want to sound flippant here, but I feel like you might be coming at this from a place of ignorance, because atrocities are all over the news right now and getting you stirred up, but you don't have enough knowledge about the conflict in general to be able to really put those atrocities in context alongside all the atrocities that don't make the front pages of Western papers.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I can't explain why it seems odd to you, but it's the reality of war, especially with volunteer armies. When you send men out with weapons to do violence, it's very difficult to get them to only do the violence you want them to do, and not whatever violence they think is necessary or they think they'd enjoy.

lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlapYoJacks posted:

The IDF has repeatedly killed over 1,000 civilians in a day before.

Please post several of these many examples.

This past Sunday was the deadliest 24-hour period in Gaza in the last two decades and the death toll was 298. There isn't a breakdown of how many were civilians, but even if you were extremely generous and said 100%, then they haven't even hit 1/3 of that amount in a day in the last two decades.

Israel does so many things that you can criticize that there is no reason to make things up.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

nogoodpeople posted:

Specifically the Palestinian and the Israeli leaders. Hamas lead Gaza and Netanyahu and co lead Israel.

I'm sure a good amount of both populations also desire blood. If they didn't there wouldn't be this kind of conflict.

You seem to think there's a thing such as free will. That doesn't exist. There is only action and reaction. Simple science.

I think Israel should hire a PR firm or maybe call on their international allies to apply pressure and de-accelerate apartheid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sundance Shot posted:

Please just sandbag the guy who registered yesterday specifically to post in this thread with braindead bullshit and batman quotes. You do not in fact have to respond to people who clearly arguing in bad faith. Just let him scream into the void.

If I respond to them then you don't have to see my other posts for 10 minutes. You should be grateful.