Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I'm a fancy bitch: I drink loose leaf tea. I got three little strainers and a cabinet of loose leaf teas, most of which sits there while I drink through 1lb. bag after 1lb. bag of lapsang souchong. Pine smoked black tea from China, it's my poison.

I think the first beer I ever had was a Yuengling. I loving love beer, even though I can't drink anything like I used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I love to imbibe and quaff colostrum potions

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lol I just went out to finally hack down and pull my sad dying tomato plants off the balcony that I haven’t bothered to water in weeks now that we’re in frost season and one of those fuckers is flowering again

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
All this talk means I'll probably go back to making ginger cardamom tea and chai again regularly this winter.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

C-Euro posted:

You're the second person I've seen recently who claims that Thai tea has food coloring, but we've never had to color it at home and it still takes on an orange appearance after brewing. I'll try to look at the leaves we use for it. Maybe they just dye and flavor it in stores.

It doesn't always, but the stuff you get in the US usually has coloring added "to mimic the color of strongly brewed Ceylon tea," according to wikipedia so... yeah. Apparently in Thailand they use a variety of Assam called Bai Miang, according to Lion Tea's web page on it. Also sometimes spiced with star anise, tamarind seed, and "orange blossom water" but they repeat the use of food coloring and vanilla.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Hey Leper, what's that handheld pusher or whatever that the woodworking thread loves for guiding pieces through saws/router tables? All of the plinths and rosettes at LowesDepot are too ornate for our house, so we're going to make our own with a router. We have the table and featherboards in place, but it's going to be a lot of passes on relatively small pieces, and I'd like my wife and I to retain our current number and length of fingers.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I've always known them as push blocks or push sticks personally.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Hey Leper, what's that handheld pusher or whatever that the woodworking thread loves for guiding pieces through saws/router tables? All of the plinths and rosettes at LowesDepot are too ornate for our house, so we're going to make our own with a router. We have the table and featherboards in place, but it's going to be a lot of passes on relatively small pieces, and I'd like my wife and I to retain our current number and length of fingers.

It's a push block or push stick or pusher, but there's one in particular you see all over the place, I have it and love it, but it's spendy: the Microjig Grr-ripper.
https://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper

This thing is great for the table saw in particular although I also use it for the bandsaw and router. I like that you can adjust its little side fence to ride along the surface of the table while still having perfectly level grip on the top of the workpiece.

Be drat careful with a router. I consider it the scariest tool in my workshop, with the table saw in second place. Routers spin up to like 40 or 50 thousand RPM. No gloves, no long sleeves, no long hair. If you don't want to buy a Grr-ripper then at least cut down some scrap wood to make a push stick that feels comfortable and useful and do a test pass with scrap so you're comfortable with the infeed and outfeed and the feel of how much pressure you need to apply and so on. Read the manual and understand the right direction to feed into the router. If you're getting tearout and excessively large chips you're going too fast; if you're getting fuzz and scorching on the work piece you're going too slow. If it's grabbing the wood and pulling it in you're feeding in the wrong direction (a "climb cut").

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 10, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

It's a push block or push stick or pusher, but there's one in particular you see all over the place, I have it and love it, but it's spendy: the Microjig Grr-ripper.

:words:

That's the one, thank you. It is ordered. I've spent enough time working in production to not have any issue spending money on safety equipment, and agree that the router is easily the scariest thing we have in our house. And to be clear I didn't cut all that out and add the words smilie derisively, I just don't want to quote that much.

We did full youtube tutorial and manual reading on Sunday, including getting it all setup and pushing some scrap wood through it. Someone in HCH was asking about router stuff at some point, so on (I think) Motronic's advice we got a set of like 20 bits for relatively cheap and are using those to figure out what pattern we like before shelling out for a nicer one. We experience both tearout and scorching, so I'm hoping a better pushing system and a nicer bit will help control the speed and not be so prone to one or the other.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup, I have a basic set of router bits and they're fine, you'll see prices ranging up to multiple hundreds of dollars per bit and IMO that's not worth spending for people who aren't production carpenter/woodworking shop types. The basic ones aren't like, less sharp or anything, they're just probably not going to last as long, have cheaper bearings, etc.

One more tip: if you're just buying dimensional pine at home depot, that stuff is usually sopping wet at the store and needs a lot of drying to be hard enough to get good results. It's fine for slapping together framing for a house, but not for woodworking and it's especially awful to rout, chisel, plane, or carve.

Some species of wood just always scorch, too. I find it very difficult to keep maple from scorching, for example.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah I rarely have a reason to ever use my router and I’m not even sure why I have one, but the like two times I’ve used it were scary lol

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

a neat cape posted:

the smell of coffee and the taste of coffee is one of the widest gaps I can think of, for me.

Tastes like sewer water but goddamn it smells heavenly

I agree completely, and fairly recently I learned that theres however many different chemical compounds in coffee; 500 or something. You can smell all of them but about half of them get immediately destroyed by the acid in your saliva which is why it tastes so different

Rogue Elephant fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 10, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Today's the finals for fat bear voting
https://explore.org/fat-bear-week

747 got eliminated last week, or I'd have voted for him, but between these two I'm going with 128 Grazer as the chonkiest.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

Today's the finals for fat bear voting

My :tinfoil: thing about fat bear week is the shots they get of the bears since it's not like they're modeling themselves.

Chunk might/maybe be a lot smaller/bigger, but Grazer looks smaller/bigger in the pics.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Absolutely boycotting voting since 747 is out. What an absolute bunch of bullshit

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
grazer is the most absolute of units

Joey Freshwater posted:

Absolutely boycotting voting since 747 is out. What an absolute bunch of bullshit

it's the same logic behind lebron not having 10 MVPs

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Fat Bear Week is Scripted

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Its Rinaldo posted:

Fat Bear Week is Scripted

teach the controversy

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
With the government threatening to shut down they got the writers to whip up a script for the 2023 season as a contingency plan & now they don't want it to go to waste.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Couple pages ago, but another TOTK trick is that lightroots and temples on the surface are connected.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Grazer is one thicc boi

Coffee Chat: Anyone know where I can get white espresso? I feel like ordering off Amazon is asking for regular beans run through bleach, but hell if I know a good source.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Leperflesh posted:

This thing is great for the table saw in particular although I also use it for the bandsaw and router. I like that you can adjust its little side fence to ride along the surface of the table while still having perfectly level grip on the top of the workpiece.

Be drat careful with a router. I consider it the scariest tool in my workshop, with the table saw in second place. Routers spin up to like 40 or 50 thousand RPM. No gloves, no long sleeves, no long hair. If you don't want to buy a Grr-ripper then at least cut down some scrap wood to make a push stick that feels comfortable and useful and do a test pass with scrap so you're comfortable with the infeed and outfeed and the feel of how much pressure you need to apply and so on. Read the manual and understand the right direction to feed into the router. If you're getting tearout and excessively large chips you're going too fast; if you're getting fuzz and scorching on the work piece you're going too slow. If it's grabbing the wood and pulling it in you're feeding in the wrong direction (a "climb cut").

I 2nd the Grr-ripper. I personally use one

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Grazer is one thicc boi

Coffee Chat: Anyone know where I can get white espresso? I feel like ordering off Amazon is asking for regular beans run through bleach, but hell if I know a good source.

Seems like it’s gotten a little popular in the PNW, so pick a roaster there and just order direct.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Grazer is one thicc boi

Grazer is a lady tyvm.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

D-LINK posted:

I 2nd the Grr-ripper. I personally use one

My wife was very excited when I described its various functions. Between that and getting both of us traction soles for walking on the driveway in winter, it was a big day for safety spending

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Hahahahahah nah, if I'm not working afterhours don't loving call me for your entirely self inflicted court issue. I will handle this at 7:30, after my work out since I work from home on Wednesdays, and politely call you a moron then.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Catching up on Loki and seeing Ke Huy Quan reminds me that I need to watch American Born Chinese.

Also I need to read the book it's based on since my sister gave me a signed copy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Grazer is one thicc boi

Do you have a US Foods Chefs'tore (formerly Cash & Carry) in your area? I've always had luck with getting white coffee there when I've needed it that wasn't bad.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1712065298688339996?s=20

Stats that make my bones hurt.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Imagine paying interest on a car lmao

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
New cars are loving expensive.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Stats that make my bones hurt.

Yeah, I remember this video from last year making me feel ill.

https://twitter.com/jessicaray0/status/1563329075153760256

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, it's bad, but: choosing a three year loan with a higher payment to reduce total interest paid is a normal thing to do if you're well off

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I pay $390/mo for my lease and I’m terrified of what I’m gonna find when it’s up in April

e: before anyone asks about the lease, my company requires that we have cars no older than 4 years but also gives me $800/mo stipends along with a gas card so…

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 11, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, it's bad, but: choosing a three year loan with a higher payment to reduce total interest paid is a normal thing to do if you're well off

Sure but terms aren’t necessarily indicated here.

Avg car loans running ~48k :captainpop:

I’m so glad we are both paid off with no planned car shopping anytime soon.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Leperflesh posted:

But you could also just pay that amount on a lower interest, longer term loan and pay it off early. Early payment penalties aren't as common these days. It helps that any amount over the due payment goes directly to the principal, at least if you have a non-shady rear end loan provider.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean it really depends what you're looking for. When my car died two months ago I found a sub $20k Leaf off lease with under $25k miles the next day.

Interest rates were like 7% or something ridiculous so I didn't even look at that stuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

But you could also just pay that amount on a lower interest, longer term loan and pay it off early. Early payment penalties aren't as common these days. It helps that any amount over the due payment goes directly to the principal, at least if you have a non-shady rear end loan provider.

what?

longer term loans have higher, not lower, interest rates

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kalli posted:

I mean it really depends what you're looking for. When my car died two months ago I found a sub $20k Leaf off lease with under $25k miles the next day.

Interest rates were like 7% or something ridiculous so I didn't even look at that stuff.

I'm incredibly jealous. My Camry finally died and while car shopping I've realized I need a "family car" which puts about an extra 10 K on the price tag. There also isn't a dealer out there that will offer terms to buy outright vs. taking some usury loan.

Leperflesh posted:

what?

longer term loans have higher, not lower, interest rates

That's not what I've seen. The dealerships want to bleed you for as much as possible and invite a long timeline for potential repossession. Definitely cuts the rate to lengthen the loan.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

I haven't had a car payment in 13 years :yeshaha: