Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

!amicable posted:

never stop bird posting. I have never been a pigeon fan, but learning about what nice lil companions they are has made me reconsider their weird bobbly nature.

what the gently caress is this and why does it crop up in this thread every few weeks. i assume its old hat because no one mentions it, but.....uh wot

Feel free to ignore posters who recently registered and have a string of numbers for a name, they are people who stopped taking their meds and/or need to touch grass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

!amicable posted:

100923_4 posted:

UFOs: Extremely Deep Pocketbooks
what the gently caress is this and why does it crop up in this thread every few weeks. i assume its old hat because no one mentions it, but.....uh wot
the numbers account guy is a banned user who now buys a new account every day they want to make a post and names it after the date, presumably for sale later if it's not simply a side effect of posters' madness.

:dare: it's a person ego tripping because they are spending the leprechaun's gold on forums accounts instead of sharing their lucky charms with the class

if they were doing credit card chargebacks like other frequent-flier reregs have done in the past then I assume these accounts would be kill-on-sight by the SA-admins instead of this daily game of sixer-whack-a-mole, so by now I have to assume this well-moneyed investor is single-handedly keeping the SA forums fiscally solvent and that they technically could have purchased the forums many times over by now...

TLDR buy me plat

Lux Anima has issued a correction as of 04:15 on Oct 10, 2023

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Is there something that would ensomber literally every human regardless of ideology? What is the most somber
Yes~ actually!

it's called MAGIC
:science:

somber

reverent

contemplative

ensobered

(actually no wait, watch it's this: the Eternal Dialectic of Materialism :()

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Dude, it directly answered the question I was holding in my mind when I made my request. Could not hit a bullseye more centrally if you were a drunk, heavy set pro darts player

Lol awesome, I hope it was a good one or helped in some way.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Divination owns

Cant wait to unironically use a dowsing rod for finding water

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

WBUR reporter reveal urself

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Riot Bimbo posted:

Divination owns

Cant wait to unironically use a dowsing rod for finding water

multiple times i have seen someone having trouble hitting water drilling for a well end up relying on a crusty fudd with a funny shaped stick. the professional crew found seven dry holes but you better believe the eighth he directed them to was perfect

early crack in the wall

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I have also seen dowsing work several times as a kid. My dad swears by it, especially some old timers he knew when he was young.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dowsing is one of those weird things where either explanation is bizarre. Either it works and nearly everyone is in enormous denial about it for some reason, or it doesn't work and there is a mass delusion effect going on up to and including the people who believe they benefited from dowsers

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My dad has dowsed and I've seen it work and i made fun of him at the time as it worked because i had to. he was dowsing. Unacceptable.

I have more or less grown into a person that is fully alienated from the guy-shaped carcass that birthed me lol for real

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

a lady used dowsing rods to place a beehive in the yard once. another dude very surreptitiously used them when deciding where to dig for a soil sample

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I have also seen dowsing work several times as a kid. My dad swears by it, especially some old timers he knew when he was young.

dowsing works. i feel like its not so much magic or mysticism as much as it is having very very long knowledge of the kind of land youre on. of course, i am assuming we are talking about finding fresh water, i dont know what other uses dowsing has.

presumably using modern imaging is much easier since it skips that whole ancestral lived knowledge. more profit in it, and all that.

Lux Anima posted:

the numbers account guy is a banned user who now buys a new account every day they want to make a post and names it after the date, presumably for sale later if it's not simply a side effect of posters' madness.

:dare: it's a person ego tripping because they are spending the leprechaun's gold on forums accounts instead of sharing their lucky charms with the class

if they were doing credit card chargebacks like other frequent-flier reregs have done in the past then I assume these accounts would be kill-on-sight by the SA-admins instead of this daily game of sixer-whack-a-mole, so by now I have to assume this well-moneyed investor is single-handedly keeping the SA forums fiscally solvent and that they technically could have purchased the forums many times over by now...

TLDR buy me plat
thx, i am now up to speed on some SA drama. this is a loving weird website.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

sharknado slashfic posted:

The Second Discourse of Great Seth - "This is in fatherhood, motherhood, brotherhood of the word, and wisdom. This is a wedding of truth, incorruptible rest, in a spirit of truth, in every mind, perfect light in unnamed mystery."

Apparently Jesus wants yall to take a rest

Sixth - "With feeling comes the planting of the seed. Because of the ground, the fruit is born again. Without feeling there is no seed at all. Without that nature there is no birth either."

Ok I think that's everyone

Thank you very much!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

absolutely there can

sometimes he wears a cape now.

:kimchi:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Really getting jealous of how handsome that bird is...

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

can i just say that water signs > air signs

i wont be explaining or answering questions, if you know, you know, and if you know, you're probably an air sign that's mad about it.

I wanna bring AM radio back

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if dowsing doesnt work then why do utility companies still use it

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Lux Anima posted:

*NOTE*
I am going to attempt to make this Tarot read as vague and open for as possible without any of my own personal details embedded, so that any readers of the thread may extrapolate their own meanings from the cards.
That said, setting and tone are obviously crucial to trances, magic, and séances, enough so that I think it important to set these details into the scenery:

[snip]

TLDR: Some things are out there tending the lights at the ends of all the tunnels, and even if you might be convinced they aren't around or able to help sometimes, they love you and look forward to meeting with you again! :h:

Not sure about you guys, but this is uncanny :pwn:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lux Anima posted:

TLDR buy me plat

these accounts are kill on sight because they are the permabanned guy that sued jeff, we just have the admins perma them through the admin panel to avoid clogging the LC with several permabans every day. it is all one person and they don't sell the accounts or do chargebacks or anything like that

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Dowsing is great, more people should dowse for more things more often. Lost your keys? Dowse. Spend a few dollars on copper dowsing rods to feel extra fancy about it! Or find a nice enough stick (you gotta trust yourself/dowsing a lot for a regular stick to work, fancy tools help acceptance)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
walking around the mall with a weird stick, waiting to find my wife

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

I'll save you the trouble she's with me at the Sleep Number :grin:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

Don't be so hard on your penis. :smith:

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
can you dows lottery tickets? powerball is getting up there

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

I'll save you the trouble she's with me at the Sleep Number :grin:

lmao

Carp
May 29, 2002

Carp has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Oct 10, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chewbecca posted:

Not sure about you guys, but this is uncanny :pwn:

I thought so too, but at the same time it's so broad and vague you can read practically anything into it

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

inchworm posted:

dunno about the lotto but you might have some luck dowsing at chicken poo poo bingo

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

you play a cowards bingo, you win a cowards prize

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Remember that bomb detector that got sold to the US military to find IEDs in Iraq & Afghanistan & they were just dowsing rods in the form of some antennas with an led attached

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

inchworm posted:

i tried last week and won 20 bucks, bought 20 bucks of tickets got a free ticket then lost

so maybe?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Remember that bomb detector that got sold to the US military to find IEDs in Iraq & Afghanistan & they were just dowsing rods in the form of some antennas with an led attached

naw, dousing works unlike that fuckin garbo

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Riot Bimbo posted:

can i just say that water signs > air signs

i wont be explaining or answering questions, if you know, you know, and if you know, you're probably an air sign that's mad about it.

I wanna bring AM radio back

earth signs rise UP :colbert:

except virgos

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Where I grew up in Appalachia we called professional water dowsers Water Witches (they're almost all old dudes though) and iirc there was always hot debate over which ones were the most trustworthy/accurate because almost everyone made sure to hire one before drilling any wells.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

DurianGray posted:

Where I grew up in Appalachia we called professional water dowsers Water Witches (they're almost all old dudes though) and iirc there was always hot debate over which ones were the most trustworthy/accurate because almost everyone made sure to hire one before drilling any wells.

this mention of old folk witchcraft in appalachia reminds me of "fire talking" which I recently learned about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFgF_NOQSes

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If you aren't the type chortle and snort in indignity at any wisdom outside of epistime, there is plenty of super fascinating lore and wisdom lurking in places like that.

I would love to compile that kind of folk wisdom. The stuff that's still knocking around in 2023; regionally held beliefs that exists outside of scientific norms.

Like i would legit love to sit down and talk with a water witch about process

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Legit question because this came up in a conversation yesterday and reminded me of babushkas from my childhood that did this all the time: where does coffee sediment reading land in all this?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
same place as tea leaves :v:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
just found this thread but it feels like a warm bath after years of trying and struggling to live in the austere lands of pure monochromatic materialism. while i respect the academic endeavor of reducing all problems to the intersection of power and resources for the explanatory power it brings, particularly at sociological levels, it always felt decisively lacking in ability to express any truth other than those laws of power. Particularly, the ways that young people freshly apprehending the ideology tend to use it in overapplied ways that do more to continually alienate themselves than build any solidarity.

I can't shake woo poo poo from my brain and my family has a long connection to that kind of stuff, tarot, astrology, all that nonsense. it's popular in the philippines and i can speak its language as clearly as any other, but segregated myself from it. it's nice hearing people talk about it without the associated judgements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Impermanent posted:

Particularly, the ways that young people freshly apprehending the ideology tend to use it in overapplied ways that do more to continually alienate themselves than build any solidarity.

This was certainly my experience as a young person, well observed.

Welcome to the thread!