Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Long shot I guess but anyone here use an ergodox while also being Nordic/using a layout similar to nordic? There's one in the qmk repo but it's for an 80 button variant and mine is 76, so using something else as a starting point would be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dirac Fourier posted:

I put together a GMK67 with Akko Blue Jelly switches and a spare set of GMK laser keycaps that I had laying around. I paid $70 for the keyboard on Amazon and $40 for the switches, both from Amazon. It seems like a really good bang for the buck DIY kit. Anyone else pleasantly surprised with the GMK67?

I built my GF a basic board with this + Gateron Browns and a knockoff matcha-themed key cap set, it turned out great

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mode restocked sonnet parts today.

I may have bought a second one:homebrew:

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know if this belongs in the keyboard thread but despite learning to touch type in 1993 I just realised the position of my right pinky on the home row is such a darn waste. I don't often use : or ;.

mewse
May 2, 2006

huh posted:

I don't know if this belongs in the keyboard thread but despite learning to touch type in 1993 I just realised the position of my right pinky on the home row is such a darn waste. I don't often use : or ;.

qwerty is the worst layout, except for all the others

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Colemak supremacy

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
If I wasn't a baby bitch I would learn colemak

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Dirac Fourier posted:

I put together a GMK67 with Akko Blue Jelly switches and a spare set of GMK laser keycaps that I had laying around. I paid $70 for the keyboard on Amazon and $40 for the switches, both from Amazon. It seems like a really good bang for the buck DIY kit. Anyone else pleasantly surprised with the GMK67?

Yeah, CIY/Zuoya boards are pretty hard to beat in terms of value, and they seem to stay on the cutting edge of features like foam or silicone padding. About the only thing they don't offer are aluminum cases or QMK/VIA support, aside from the LMK67.

Protip: they're more like $45 if you're willing to wait for the slow boat from China.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Nestharken posted:

Protip: they're more like $45 if you're willing to wait for the slow boat from China.

Thanks, that's a really good price! I might buy another one

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there a keyboard equivalent to "X-Mouse Button Control" for keyboard?

i.e. if i'm in WhateverApp, i want key X to do Y, but if i'm in WhateverApp2, i want key X to do Z, and it should do this seamlessly.

Basically, i have 4 extra macro keys on my Q3 Pro SE and i was hoping to map them to f13/14/15/16 and then use this theoretical app to make them do different things depending on what game i'm in.

Edit: it looks like HotkeyP might do what i want, but it's very clunky.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 5, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
What is a good, won't break the bank, split keyboard (like the ergodox), but not ortholinear?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Koskun posted:

What is a good, won't break the bank, split keyboard (like the ergodox), but not ortholinear?

keeb.io iris?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Before people can make recommendations, are you ok with DIY solder kits or do you want prebuilt? That factors heavily into the price.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Reoxygenation posted:

Before people can make recommendations, are you ok with DIY solder kits or do you want prebuilt? That factors heavily into the price.

I'd say my soldering skills are fair. My father is an electrical engineer, if he'd be willing to, maybe. I have all the soldering things, but the patience at times of a bored house cat.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

If you don't mind soldering, then maybe a lily58 or a solfie58, depending how many keys you need on the thumb cluster.

Other than that I think the Iris could also be a good rec - if you can't be hosed to solder, there is a pre-build builder that will let you pick option but will still run you half the price of the Ergodox. Maybe other people would have better / more suggestions than I do, most split keyboards I can think of are ortholinear, personally...

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Koskun posted:

For clarification, is orthogonal acceptable, you draw the line at ortholinear?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Saukkis posted:

For clarification, is orthogonal acceptable, you draw the line at ortholinear?

I like the style and customization the orthodox setup looks to provide, but I've been using a staggered keyboard setup for over 40 years now. Stubborn probably, but I don't want to re-learn to type on an ortholinear layout plus adjust to a full split, possibly with thumb clusters on top of that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sounds like a basic split then, maybe? I think the Kinesis freestyle is that for about a hundred bucks:
https://kinesis-ergo.com/keyboards/freestyle2-keyboard/

Haven't used it myself.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Koskun posted:

I like the style and customization the orthodox setup looks to provide, but I've been using a staggered keyboard setup for over 40 years now. Stubborn probably, but I don't want to re-learn to type on an ortholinear layout plus adjust to a full split, possibly with thumb clusters on top of that.

https://keeb.io/collections/quefrency-split-staggered-65-keyboard

https://keeb.io/collections/sinc

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Why do you want a split keyboard BTW? Part of the appeal of a split is that you can tent the halves and reduce wrist pronation. It's going to be more hassle to tent a full size, staggered layout

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

alternatively https://nullbits.co/snap/ which IMO looks nicer than keebios take

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

People posted good options above but yeah if staggered is your pick of choice then that does severely limit your options of split keyboards. I gave mostly recs that were orthogonal because they simply weren't orthoLINEAR (because my mind equates split orthogonal as staggered please do not ask me how that works)

I will say that you lose a big chunk of the customization aspect if using a basic split staggered though, such as tenting, or having a more custom key layout that you make yourself (which I mean you can but you're using a staggered 60+ key split keyboard, what key customization would one even need from that?)

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 10, 2023

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like being able to set the right side away from my mouse mat and having tons mousing space for fps

I get dactyl manuform kits from DIYkeyboards.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 10, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Appreciate the replies. I'll give those some serious looks, and even see if switching to an ortholinear is something that I could adjust to (yes, I could) in spite of my stubbornness.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
It's understandable to stick to the familiar, but also are you planning to end it here or take further steps later. The question is whether it would be better to take small steps or do a one big adjustment.

I've been using Ergodox EZ for a year and a half. I started with QWERTY but in less than a week a switched to a heavily customized layout with no resemblance to QWERTY. And then I continued modifying it, swapping letters and doing other changes, whatever felt more convenient. I am at over 20th revision at this point and I wish I could have jumped here immediately without having to do the constant readjustment.

But the one conclusion I have reached is that the standard layout is loving stupid. This was highlighted when I recently tried Keychron V8 with Alice layout that tries to be a compromise between standard keyboard and split. For me it somehow felt worse than standard. Also my laptop keyboard feels especially hateful and there's not much better solution than minimize typing on it.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Alice layout slander is not tolerated in my household (but the dislike for it is respected)

Death to laptop keyboards however

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Alice isn't actually that ergonomic (I hear) so it's just a meme anyway

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Keychron is jumping into the magnetic switches game: https://www.keychron.com/pages/keychron-q1-he
(Is this their first board with 2.4Ghz wireless too?)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

No pricepoint that I can see so we have to wait for the kickstarter I guess?

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

change my name posted:

I think so. I can only use 2.4Ghz with work computers. The limited availability of that feature has saved me a lot of money.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Gearman posted:

The Monsgeek is probably the best price:performance of the bunch, with the Keychrons also being a good recommendation if you buy them from Amazon. I repeat, ONLY BUY KEYCHRONS FROM AMAZON.

You'll also need to build all of those with foams to get that deep sound. Linear and tactile switches will both get you similar acoustics if you build with foams and a PC plate. Switches with Nylon housings will typically get you a deeper sound as well.

https://dangkeebs.com/products/group-buy-meletrix-zoom98-barebones-keyboard-kit

I was leaning toward the Monsgeek, then this came around. Pretty intrigued by it...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/plaest2k/status/1712768032064549193

Help I'm so tempted.

EDIT: No help needed, it's all sold out. BUT STILL

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

change my name posted:

Keychron is jumping into the magnetic switches game: https://www.keychron.com/pages/keychron-q1-he

The L3 has 2.4Ghz, sounds like all the Lemokey 'gaming' Keychrons will have it at least.

Speaking of, mine is set to be delivered on Monday. I'll throw up some pictures when it comes in

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Framboise posted:

https://dangkeebs.com/products/group-buy-meletrix-zoom98-barebones-keyboard-kit

I was leaning toward the Monsgeek, then this came around. Pretty intrigued by it...

Yeah, the Zooms are excellent value. They've consistently delivered on their GBs, which have all been pretty large, so I'd consider it a fairly safe bet for them to deliver, too.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
After trying out the 8Bitdo board for 2 weeks, I think... I'm just going to keep it. Sorry Keychron V1, this thing is too much fun (and wireless)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Gearman posted:

Yeah, the Zooms are excellent value. They've consistently delivered on their GBs, which have all been pretty large, so I'd consider it a fairly safe bet for them to deliver, too.

I think I might go for it, yeah. Checks all the boxes for me and comes in a pretty plum color.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Framboise posted:

I think I might go for it, yeah. Checks all the boxes for me and comes in a pretty plum color.

Mine comes in December ( zoom 65 Se V2.5 In Orange).

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Extras of the QK100, a high quality, compact, fullsize, are available for anyone looking for one of those: https://www.qwertykeys.com/products/qk100?variant=43808278348019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
once again, keyboards in weird nonstandard layouts. There just is no love for people who likes 'em full-sized and standard layouted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Grandpas keyboards.