Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Lion Guard was Disney doing Paw Patrol with existing IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though to be fair, having watched a couple episodes out of curiosity Lion Guard isn’t bad for a Disney Junior show (its biggest crime is shoehorning a song into every episode regardless of how forced it seems) and apparently gets more of a plot as it goes along.

Also almost none of the movie VAs for the returning characters (including ones from the DTV sequels) came back for it

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 10, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

The Tangled series was legitimately good though. I’m surprised they didn’t do something similar with Frozen honestly given how popular that was

Well they're still making sequel movies from Frozen. Not necessarily good ones, mind you, but still making them! :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The only good one was Frozen Fever, in which Elsa ignores a cold in order to try to give Anna the best birthday to make up for all the ones she ruined being terrible. It's a 9 minute micro-opera (I call it that as it's all one big song that never ends throughout the movie so there is little purely spoken dialog) and it's very cute.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Lego Frozen one is actually pretty decent too, where Sven (I think) calls Kristoff out for mansplaining

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Olaf's Frozen Adventure is fantastic, and all the songs are bangers.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Lion Guard Series 3 is a season long arc in a kids show that actually has a lovely message to it. And it has a great villain in Mama Binturong.

The Lego Disney Princess short they just released was quite good too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

Lion Guard Series 3 is a season long arc in a kids show that actually has a lovely message to it. And it has a great villain in Mama Binturong.

Lion Guard also gave some additional backstory on Scar as well and the characters are fun (it apparently takes place before and during the second movie with the finale picking up afterwards), the animation and some of the songs aren’t bad either.

If you can stomach nearly every episode having at least one musical number I’d actually recommend the show

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 10, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

runwiled posted:

I remember seeing the same trailer from a few months ago. I'm glad it's releasing! The art style and setting are also heavily reminiscent of the video game Sable. They must be pulling from similar influences (also play Sable)

They are both pulling wholesale from Moebius. Which is good because more things need to pull wholesale from Moebius.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Larryb posted:

Though the biggest example of what you’re talking about I can think of is them doing a Lion King series 22 years after the release of the movie
Not the strangest sequel to a decades old property they've done

MokBa posted:

They are both pulling wholesale from Moebius. Which is good because more things need to pull wholesale from Moebius.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GQPvAuM7k

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 10, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Don't forget The Lion King 1 & 1/2, which is basically its Rozencrantz And Gildenstern Are Dead, focusing on Timon and Pumbaa before and during the first movie.

Not to be confused with the Timon and Pumbaa cartoon that's its own completely unrelated thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't forget The Lion King 1 & 1/2, which is basically its Rozencrantz And Gildenstern Are Dead, focusing on Timon and Pumbaa before and during the first movie.

It's really quite good too. Way more so than the actual sequel which was TV grade drek.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Total Meatlove posted:

Wait, Binturongs don’t live in Africa…!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not to be confused with the Timon and Pumbaa cartoon that's its own completely unrelated thing.

Timon & Pumbaa was more of a sketch comedy show that barely had anything to do with the movie (some episodes weren’t even in the same universe).

Come to think of it, Ernie Sabella was pretty much the only actor to reprise his role in The Lion Guard (Zazu and Rafiki might have had their DTV actors as well but I’m not completely sure about that)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'll always remember the episode where Timon and Pumba work a fast food restaurant trying to serve a bear a burger without any onions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As jam-packed full of great pop culture as the early 90s was, the late 90s trying to iterate on it sure feels like everything spinning wildly out of control

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Those spin off tv series were good though, much better than imthey had any right to be. Timon and Pumba was often quite funny and Aladdin was also quite good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Hercules cartoon also wasn’t too bad and flashing forward to later the Tangled series was better than it had any right to be (Big Hero 6 was also ok if you just skip the third season entirely)

Hell, the Aladdin cartoon even gave the Sultan a proper name (though it’s only mentioned like once or twice)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 11, 2023

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The best thing about Tangled was that it continued the story and expanded on the lore in ways that actually made sense and didn’t feel at all contrived or forced. It honestly felt like that had been the plan from the beginning.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Phylodox posted:

The best thing about Tangled was that it continued the story and expanded on the lore in ways that actually made sense and didn’t feel at all contrived or forced. It honestly felt like that had been the plan from the beginning.

Having Moore/Levi reprise their roles for the whole show also lent some nice continuity.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Klungar posted:

Having Moore/Levi reprise their roles for the whole show also lent some nice continuity.

Come to think of it, I don’t believe there was a returning character who’s actor DIDN’T reprise their role from the film

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Assepoester posted:

Not the strangest sequel to a decades old property they've done

does she also fight nazis with the help of the mafia?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

The Hercules cartoon also wasn’t too bad and flashing forward to later the Tangled series was better than it had any right to be (Big Hero 6 was also ok if you just skip the third season entirely)

Hell, the Aladdin cartoon even gave the Sultan a proper name (though it’s only mentioned like once or twice)

The Hercules one was pretty fun as well yeah.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Aphrodite was animated and voiced supremely well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the aladdin cartoon ruled, Abis Mal and Mechanicles were hilarious idiot villains

I also remember a crossover episode between it and Hercules, which was amazing but made absolutely zero sense lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

As jam-packed full of great pop culture as the early 90s was, the late 90s trying to iterate on it sure feels like everything spinning wildly out of control

Sometimes that was all part of the fun. A lot of the 90s spinoffs get dismissed as cheap cash-ins when if anything that couldn't be further from the truth, they were clearly labours of love and having a lot of fun. Certainly a better track record than the direct-to-video spinoff era. (though Aladdin did have both, with the second one even functioning as a finale for the series)

Where it probably gets extra weird is the Lilo and Stitch cartoon having crossovers with almost every TV cartoon they had going on at the time. (and then Recess some time after it had been cancelled)

Unfortunately Disney can't bury its TV animation hard enough. They got hit hard by the Disney Vault and then Disney wonders why they don't have appeal in exactly the demographics those shows were loved by.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Timon and Pumba cartoon was loving hilarious

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m just hyped that there’s been some progress on making a Gargoyles movie. That poo poo was amazing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I still feel the same way about this as I did as before. The premise looks cute enough, I like the whole thing about him getting all the kids to feel good about themselves. But Adam Sandler himself should not be the voice for this character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_AEL-Xo5l8

It doesn't work AT ALL

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nimona's put out a big online art book if anyone wants to take a look: https://artofnimona.com/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phylodox posted:

I’m just hyped that there’s been some progress on making a Gargoyles movie. That poo poo was amazing.

wait what

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I read recently that they’ve tapped Ken Branagh to direct a Gargoyles movie.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's going to be live action?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hate to bother people, but I posted this in the white whales thread and got nothing, wondering if any experts here might be able to help me dig this one out:

hexwren posted:

Wondering about a film I saw in first grade - on rainy days for recess, we'd all go into the gymnasium and watch 16mm (maybe 8, idk, I'm not a film expert) short films, usually animated, some not. The Electric Grandmother was definitely one, as were a number of storybook adaptations - Drummer Hoff sticks in my mind.

The one I'm trying to dig up now is an adaptation of the story of King Midas. It's either traditionally animated or stop-motion animated. It is absolutely not the 1953 Ray Harryhausen one. This one has a fairly grim and forbidding look, mostly in blues and greys, and I think it was dialogue-free, but I could be wrong, this was 35 years ago or so. It definitely ends with Midas running around turning more and more of his palace into gold in a panic before covering his face with his hands and turning himself into a gold statue.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mystes posted:

It's going to be live action?

I just looked it up and it has since been debunked so so much for that I guess.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Re Time Masters: Did I miss something, or was there zero explanation as to why Piel's family was still living on a planet to be colonized by the time masters?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Macaluso posted:

The Timon and Pumba cartoon was loving hilarious

I didn't have cable but I saw one episode of this on a family vacation at a hotel where they get a credit card and think it means free money and then at the end of the episode find out what credit actually is.

It must have made a lasting impression because to this day I still remember it and I don't have any credit cards, only debit.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ccs posted:

I didn't have cable but I saw one episode of this on a family vacation at a hotel where they get a credit card and think it means free money and then at the end of the episode find out what credit actually is.

It must have made a lasting impression because to this day I still remember it and I don't have any credit cards, only debit.

You should have one credit card and just pay it off every month. You may need a good credit rating someday.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ccs posted:

As long as you pay off your credit card on time, its actually way better. You can get really screwed over with a debit card because it has less protections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Also Cash Back is nice.