Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Strobe posted:

The Sommerset Strikers box was an add-on available in the pledge manager. Missing the goal just meant everyone didn't get one added for free. Similar to the Blood Asp.
Yeah, exactly. I have the unit in old blocky Ral Partha metals in storage so I threw the box in for my KS order. I'm going to paint the new high detail plastics as the "real" versions of them, and use the less-detailed metals with some neon/UV reactive paint around the vertexes to do the "enhanced imaging" look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Strobe posted:

The Sommerset Strikers box was an add-on available in the pledge manager. Missing the goal just meant everyone didn't get one added for free. Similar to the Blood Asp.

Does that mean it'll be available for regular sale too?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

dingo with a joint posted:

Probably, but not until after the Kickstarter rewards are distributed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dingo with a joint posted:

Stuff on the kickstarter was scheduled for an eventual retail release, the stretch goals were effectively getting them out a little bit sooner. They said last time that they added completely new products that weren't even in the pipeline yet, and it really hosed them up hard, so they limited themselves to stuff that they had already started work on.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Painted up a binary of the worst pun in BattleTech Steel Wolves

I didn't think they warranted a full trinary.

My phone continues to do interesting things with colors. They're a reddish brown but the phone makes them look blood red. At least it didn't kill the jump jet effects.

I liked the description of "medieval knights wearing fur cloaks" so I tried to roll with that.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 7, 2023

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That’ll depend on your phone probably, they look reddish brown to me. They look great, haven’t seen that sort of color scheme in BT before!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PoptartsNinja posted:

My phone continues to do interesting things with colors. They're a reddish brown but the phone makes them look blood red. At least it didn't kill the jump jet effects.

I'm assuming you have an Android phone. Go to your settings and search for "color" or "color balance". At least one of the results will be your phone brand's color enhancement scheme that you can change to something less intense/wrong.

oh the paint on the photos themselves are blood red. yeah you need to adjust your white balance in your camera app, or see below regarding Snapseed

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 7, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
You can also get a photo editor like Snapseed which lets you select a reference white and it will colour correct based on that.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

At a Lemons tournament, no objectives, forced retreat to the center of the map and forces are predetermined. Would you take against the other:

Commando 4H (4/4)
Thor A (3/4)
Battlemaster 1S (3/7)!

Skinwalker Prime (7/8)!!
Crab 54 (4/5)
Shadowhawk 2D (2/5)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Skinwalker's got pulse lasers and an interface cockpit so those stats might be deceptive.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They are extremely deceptive but at the end of the day it's still a medium mech and has the durability of a medium mech. Between that and a Shadow Hawk 2D and a Crab with an XXL and Composite the whole list might as well be made of glass.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d probably take the second 3/4 of a lance, just because I believe the shadow hawk to be more durable than it is, much like an Oldsmobile Delta 88

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Started building the most reasonable followup to my Comstar forces-

Clan Sea Fox -

Was trying to create https://unitcolorcompendium.com/2019/04/05/spina-khanate/

https://imgur.com/a/PT6LyZC

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Saint Celestine posted:

Clan Sea Fox -

I really like this, the ripple effect looks great and it's subtle enough not to overpower the overall look

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Clan Sea Fox -

What's that flat lad on the right side of the first image? I love him.

e:oh it's a Turkina! CGL really gave that boy a glow-up.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Thanks.

Yeah the Turkina is deadly. Also such a fat wide boy that I have trouble fitting him in the normal carry case foam slots.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arquinsiel posted:

Also worth remembering that the TROs are kind of implied to be in-universe publications and therefore quite likely just wrong.

There's no kind of implied about it. They're explicitly presented as in-universe publications made by ComStar. The introductions make that clear.

Also, it's silly to talk about a TRO being wrong or inaccurate. It's all made up bullshit so you can enjoy fun toilet reading while you decide which mechs you want to field.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

x-post mini painting:

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sounding the Little Guy alert.

I got a pair of Hunters as compensation for needing to request replacements on some 3D prints, and they've been languishing primed on a shelf for a good 6 months. I'm trying to get back into painting with a healthier view on it, so I picked one of them and set a goal - one session start to finish, embrace any minor mistakes along the way, fix them if they're big and ugly. Hour and a half later (which is like... half of what a mini usually takes me, and a good third of which was just doing six or seven coats of Thunderhawk Blue to try and get it even), one of them's done minus varnish. There are obvious faults I can see that I'm doing my best to accept, but more important, it's a finished model to a decent standard, which is what I need more of in my life. I'm probably not repeating this scheme on the other Hunter because of what a pain Thunderhawk Blue was, but it was informative since I did have other minis planned with this combo that I now know to adjust.

I don't use vehicles on tabletop, but test models are still models.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Hunter Light Tank is another excellent product from Defiance Industries of Furillo. It is a very affordable and reliable way to get a LRM-20 rack into battle cheaply.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 10, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I always got Hunters and Strikers mixed up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PeterWeller posted:

There's no kind of implied about it. They're explicitly presented as in-universe publications made by ComStar. The introductions make that clear.

Also, it's silly to talk about a TRO being wrong or inaccurate. It's all made up bullshit so you can enjoy fun toilet reading while you decide which mechs you want to field.
I'm doing that thing I do where I understate the obvious because it's fun :ssh:

SkyeAuroline posted:

x-post mini painting:

I don't use vehicles on tabletop, but test models are still models.
Thunderhawk blue is a spectacular pain in the rear end. I have a 28mm scale MDF dumpster I've been trying to get an even coat on for months and it just never seems to work. That poo poo is literally absorbant! Why is the paint just refusing to stick to it? Great result though, and it's tiny enough that nobody will notice the mistakes anyway. Plus Hunters are fun.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PeterWeller posted:

In later TROs and Recognition Guides, they even deliberately exploit that. My favorite will always be the J Edgar Hovertank and how Comstar had tried so hard to wipe it from the annals of history all because of some fanatical pencilpusher got a bug up his rear end about how the lead developer for the tank had a name that meant Purity, and OnLy CoMsTaR iS aLlOwEd To Be PuRe!!!11

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What book is that in? I don't remember it from my reprint of TRO 3026.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm doing that thing I do where I understate the obvious because it's fun :ssh:

Ahh, my bad. I don't usually expect subtlety and nuance in Battletech. :v:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Arquinsiel posted:

What book is that in? I don't remember it from my reprint of TRO 3026.

ilClan Recognition Guide Vol 32. To quote:

'ComStar’s strange fanaticism once drove the Order to erase the original name and design engineer of the Jun Edgar Light Hover Tank, along with the tank’s production numbers, from the historical record, because the kanji character used for her first name meant “Purity.” The adherents believed that this belittled Jerome Blake, the galaxy’s only true embodiment of purity in their view.'

So it's a literal case of Comstar in-universe clutching at pearls while screaming HOW DARE YOU like entitled Karens.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thank you, that's wonderful.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
So it's NOT named for J. Edgar Hoover!?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

General Battuta posted:

Nope, it's the guy from Bosch

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

OOC it absolutely is

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I guess that makes sense, as a hovercraft of course it wears skirts. sadly the hoover-was-a-closeted-crossdresser rumors probably aren't real but give me the quip

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Have some Comstar WiPs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Lol, sassycrab.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It is the J. Edgar Hoovertank and I strongly dislike that they are trying to take that away from us

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

It is the J. Edgar Hoovertank and I strongly dislike that they are trying to take that away from us

Holy poo poo!!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
My local group is having a battletech day coming up. One of the regulars and I tend to get there early and then end up with people showing up one at a time, including some newer players looking to play with new toys for the first time. We've settled on a Hold the Line scenario where any late players can join as successive waves of attackers, which should he a pretty good time.

My friend is playing the defender and planning to field Davion; are there any particularly interesting spots in 3151+ where Davion might get hammered by an odd alliances of attackers?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Ankaa is now the tippy-corner of the Suns' region of control and would be a prime target for raiding. The Kuritans, Liaos, and Sea Foxes(!) are all a jump or less away.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
yeah, and the Kuritans do eat the Davions lunch for a good part of the time frame (until recently), so the attackers could be on loan from another power or "mercenary" units supplied for plausible deniability

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's basically no reason for any of those factions to use false flags or need plausible deniability. The Clan don't care, and the other two are in an open state of war with the FedSuns and have been for over a decade.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Is there any state that isn't at war with any other neighboring state at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

GD_American posted:

Is there any state that isn't at war with any other neighboring state at this point?

The CapCon and Magistracy are pretty chill. The FWL and Wolf Empire had a ceasefire for something like six or seven years before things kicked back off in 3151. Pretty sure the RasDom and Combine have been in a state of mutual-don't-gently caress-it-up for decades.

The CapCon I guess has had an uneasy ceasefire with the Suns for a bit, but the FedSuns and Combine have been locked in a very, very open war of conquest for over a decade.