Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea I was debating on this one but seeing it written out, he should probably add that.

Also did you do any gig work during that time? Anything for money or any volunteer work?

I kind of shut down for 10 years. Agoraphobia. I mean I still am agoraphobic but I am getting out and being with my partner is helping but that puts more context into my situation. I have been using the site https://www.wahjobqueen.com/ to apply for remote jobs which all seem legit I'm just getting turned down repeatedly. I've tried Wayfair, ADT, Uhaul, and Comcast just to name a few.

Anyway here's my resume so far I guess I just suck at this whole process or am just extremely rusty.

Should I put in "can pass a background check" on the resume? If so where?

LazyDivey fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

LazyDivey posted:

Ok, so I'm going to give you some tough love advice and its not at all a judgment on you or your history but just some objective facts.

You need to remove your time with disability from your resume entirely. It's not your employers business and it shouldn't impact how you'd be as an employee so it doesn't belong on your resume. Your professional summary is basically a "don't hire me" beacon. Remove it or at best replace it with "Motivated Customer-oriented Representative with Solid Technical Background".

Did you complete your associates? If not, remove it. If you did, remove the part about leaving. Remove the Biology section completely.

Your job bullets are pretty good.

I'd see if you can do an online data entry or insurance entry job, even if it pays peanuts. It would help a ton to have something recent on there. Aside from "scrub disability references" my next best advice would be "figure out how to get something on there". Volunteer work would work well as well.

FYI, the last remote job I posted had pretty stringent requirements and I received 1,200 applications in 4 days before we had to pull it. I know there's a bunch of people with remote jobs but there's WAYYY more trying to get them. If you can find something local that you'd feel comfortable with your chances of getting a job are way higher. I know that's potentially asking a lot but I'm just trying to make sure that you know the remote jobs are completely flooded with resumes while the in-person stuff is begging people to apply.

I think your goals are super doable, but I think there's some stuff you should do to help your odds here.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 7, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

LazyDivey posted:

I kind of shut down for 10 years. Agoraphobia. I mean I still am agoraphobic but I am getting out and being with my partner is helping but that puts more context into my situation. I have been using the site https://www.wahjobqueen.com/ to apply for remote jobs which all seem legit I'm just getting turned down repeatedly. I've tried Wayfair, ADT, Uhaul, and Comcast just to name a few.

Anyway here's my resume so far I guess I just suck at this whole process or am just extremely rusty.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BK_wRzGi5lODlMJcS07YQFKpbI44htx3/view?usp=drive_link

Should I put in "can pass a background check" on the resume? If so where?

Similar to Lockback, tough love, you can do it, but you got some things to fix and some views to change.

I'm gonna light your resume up, but its meant to shake you out of your current views and into ones that align with your goals. These are not judgements about you personally.

Resume Feedback:
- This resume is basically a list of ways you have not had a career.
- The goal of your resume is to sell. Why does yours lead with irrelevant stuff to the job? Do you need some accommodation? If so indicate that elsewhere in the process.
- This resume gets put in the trash three words in. Again, you have reasonable goals but you have no clue how this resume comes off to hiring managers. I would describe it as in the bottom 5% of resumes I've seen and I've hired for entry-level $15/hr+commission jobs. Only the top 15-25% get phone interviewed, so this is VERY far from having a shot.
- You should not mention being any type of protected class in your resume. The ADA makes being disabled a protected class. This resume screams-SCREAMSSSS-"I AM TROLLING FOR A LAWSUIT, I WILL NOT BE PRODUCTIVE AND I WILL COST YOU $100,000 IN LEGAL FEES".
- You make multiple mentions of your computer/IT skills but cant properly redact a resume AC from rednecksville, hickstate.
- You seemingly cant work outside your house and even if you could you live in the middle of loving nowhere, this will impact you negatively in many ways.
- The place you're from and your big gap in employment means you will be assumed by some to be an opiate addict. I would include (if true): Can pass background checks, all drug tests, and have a clean driving record with valid license.
- The place you're from means people will assume you have a thick accent, this might not play well for call center jobs.
- Agoraphobia so severe it leads to 15 years of not working is not gonna be looked on well. Most hiring managers have experienced hiring someone who is smart enough to do the job, but too anxious to make good decisions. Its not a fun thing to manage.
- You have no work experience, you should have a 1 page resume.
- Take off the sub 1 year job.
- I would include something to account for the major gap, IDK what yet, but you need the first experience line to be some sort of job. Volunteer work. Gig work.
- Did you complete any college degree or certificate? If not, remove all that. It reinforces the message your resume sends that if hired, you will fail. Leave your high school diploma.

Starting Over Tips:
Your agoraphobia seems to be causing massive consequences in your life. Without treating this its going to be hard for you to survive, never mind thrive.

You need to seed your success with a job of some kind. You should strongly consider gig work or volunteering. Start doing a "job" so you can prove you have some skills, something that has a rating system so you can show some success metrics. You need to earn at least $30,000 doing this, so you can show that you are presently capable of doing something productive for some business.

Are you a gay man living in bumfucksville, hickstate? Move the gently caress away.

You need to automate the process of applying once you get a resume sorted out. You should expect to apply to hundreds of jobs, particularly if you don't already have some sort of ongoing job.

You have achievable goals, but your mental model of what the path to success is seems completely out of line with reality.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 7, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My take is that the whole resume reads like an apology. I'm not trying to discount the difficulty of going back to work both after a hiatus and with a disability, but you need to present yourself as a smart, capable worker. The employer isn't a charity hiring you out of the goodness of their hearts, they're trying to turn a buck and want you to slot in to their plan.

Your resume needs to showcase your skills and accomplishments. It's a professional dating profile. It's "here's what you get by going with me". So cut anything that would "disqualify" you. This includes noting your disability. It's something you would talk about with HR after you get the position if you require some sort of accommodation, not as your first impression, and certainly not defining you as a worker in multiple places. It's also none of their loving business, they hire you based on your interviewing and work capability.

1) Remove your summary. If you insist, make it positive and forward looking -- it almost sounds like you're making excuses before anyone even reads the resume. If you're worried about the gap, the "Clean driving record / background" as a last item would illustrate that your last job in 2007 wasn't because you were like.. in prison or something the rest of the time.

2) Remove your SSD entry since it could give the interviewer pause about whether you can do the job. In its place, you need to point out something, anything, that notes that you weren't just power leveling and farting in a couch the past decade. Volunteer work? Skills training? Anything remotely resembling "professional development?"

3) Do you have a forklift cert from Walmart, or similar? Could be good to point out, makes you sound competent. The bullets are reasonably good, but I would flesh them out to add some detail and context. e.g., "Operated heavy machinery such as forklift and pallet driver" -> "Operated heavy machinery such as forklifts and pallet drivers to unload hourly delivery trucks in a warehouse stockroom". Something that illustrates the extent (and the strength) of what you were doing.

4) Cut biology. I might try to leave the AS in IT if you can somehow make it seem like you're continuing ed on it. Or.. maybe you enroll in one class and can just tell them you're working on it. Half a degree isn't worth anything as a degree, but it might be if you can point out some skill set development.

It's overall not bad, just needs some adjustment and you absolutely must be able to speak to the gap in an interview. Prep that poo poo in the mirror until you can lay it out without hesitation. I'm not in hiring, but if you cleaned a few items up, I could see you getting a shot at a call center or similar.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

I'll take the recommendations to heart start fresh with a new resume and keep trying. The mistake with the redaction was obviously unintentional so I removed that resume. Thank you goon who privately messaged me to let me know.

CarForumPoster posted:

- You make multiple mentions of your computer/IT skills but cant properly redact a resume AC from rednecksville, hickstate.

You were kind of insulting here. I mean I get what you are saying but that was a bit harsh. I appreciate your help though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

LazyDivey posted:

I'll take the recommendations to heart start fresh with a new resume and keep trying. The mistake with the redaction was obviously unintentional so I removed that resume. Thank you goon who privately messaged me to let me know.

You were kind of insulting here. I mean I get what you are saying but that was a bit harsh. I appreciate your help though.

That’s fair, it was rude phrasing.

I hope the message received is that the issues here extend beyond what a resume is likely to fix. You’ve correctly identified agoraphobia, but zooming out you must invest in yourself in a way that sets you up for success in this new endeavor. Your current skills, where you live, your understanding of how applying works, and your mental health are all impediments to ending the 15 year gap, which is a symptom of all those things, not just the mental health stuff.

Fixing the resume is a step in the right direction though!

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 7, 2023

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

I am, for the record, getting out of Hicksville, McOpioidland. My partner is under contract to start working in NYC as soon as he passes his PT license exam. Things might be a little rough for a while if he doesn't pass this time around but he can take the test again in January. It is my hope that if I can earn some better income in the meantime our transition to NYC will be a whole lot easier.

I know my mental health issue and traveling that far to a big city is going to be...problematic and there's certainly some trepidation on my part about the move but the opportunities that are going to open up for us both are life-changing. He literally traveled across the globe to be with me so I can at the very least go a few hundred.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

LazyDivey posted:

I am, for the record, getting out of Hicksville, McOpioidland. My partner is under contract to start working in NYC as soon as he passes his PT license exam. Things might be a little rough for a while if he doesn't pass this time around but he can take the test again in January. It is my hope that if I can earn some better income in the meantime our transition to NYC will be a whole lot easier.

I know my mental health issue and traveling that far to a big city is going to be...problematic and there's certainly some trepidation on my part about the move but the opportunities that are going to open up for us both are life-changing. He literally traveled across the globe to be with me so I can at the very least go a few hundred.

That sounds like a big and good step, sincerely wish you the best both in the mean time and in the next chapter.

Gig work combined with 10+ hrs/week volunteering for the local church/cat shelter/non-profit whiskey still coalition is probably the best interim-interim step to land a W-2 job when you get to NYC.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
NYC will open up opportunities to do customer service at places where they won't post full remote but it'll be "come into the office 1-2 days a week", so getting yourself to that point might be a good goal (ofc, what is a reasonable goal is up to you and your medical advisors). And that can get you on an actual Career track.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

It's been a few years since I've seriously interviewed, but is the new normal to have multiple conversations with recruiters of various levels before getting to the hiring manager (and starting the 'actual' interview process? It feels....less than ideal from their perspective, as well as mine. For Company A I talked to one recruiter twice, then another once, then the hiring manager. At Company B, it's been a sourcer, senior recruiter, and now HR. I'm baffled at the length of time before you get to the meat and potatoes interviews.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

When hiring was nuts some recruiting orgs ballooned because there just wasn't enough bandwidth to sort through everyone. A lot of places have slimmed down though, but maybe you caught a few that still need the extra folks/haven't cut them quite yet?

We usually go recruiter-manager but sometimes you may talk to more than 1 manager depending on the role.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
In my experience, that's atypical. One chat with the recruiter and either you talk to the hiring manager next or you don't. Multiple rounds of recruiter talks seems nuts but some companies are just really bad at doing things good (and vice versa).

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Omne posted:

It's been a few years since I've seriously interviewed, but is the new normal to have multiple conversations with recruiters of various levels before getting to the hiring manager (and starting the 'actual' interview process? It feels....less than ideal from their perspective, as well as mine. For Company A I talked to one recruiter twice, then another once, then the hiring manager. At Company B, it's been a sourcer, senior recruiter, and now HR. I'm baffled at the length of time before you get to the meat and potatoes interviews.

I have had that happen a few times with outside recruiter firms and once with a huge company (+10K employees), so I wouldn't exactly call it normal. When it happens, I've found that first layer is extremely perfunctory. They read from a script that exactly matches what is in the job description, make no input themselves, lack the the ability to assess your suitability and could be replaced by one of those LinkedIn application questionnaires. They are the speed bump before getting to their boss, who will often call you at a different time.

It's a huge loving waste of time. Hey, rear end in a top hat, I obviously felt like I fit the job description well enough or I wouldn't have wasted my time applying. Now I need to attempt to explain it to a person who has no input in the process for literally no reason. I cannot imagine them failing to pass someone to the next level unless people are applying for jobs not even remotely suitable for them. "Well, I've been a baker for 15 years, but I'm looking for a change so I'm applying to be an Actuarial Manager."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Magnetic North posted:

unless people are applying for jobs not even remotely suitable for them.

i have news for you

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I cannot imagine them failing to pass someone to the next level unless people are applying for jobs not even remotely suitable for them. "Well, I've been a baker for 15 years, but I'm looking for a change so I'm applying to be an Actuarial Manager."

Yes, this happens a lot and I'd bet their pass through is like 20% or less. And the baker will describe their job as "Futures focused in the agriculture and gluten domain with a specialization on prompt deliverables" and you need to talk to them to find out they baked bread.

I don't disagree there are better ways to handle that but the problem they are trying to solve is definitely real.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
this resume is getting me very few interview or calls and I'm not sure if I'm bad or it's bad, so posting to see if anyone has any ideas. I've been looking off and on for a few years casually without any real sense of urgency but suddenly my job's culture has been torpedo'd and i'd very much like to move on to greener pastures. I used to get cold calls but that stopped some time last summer, not sure what's happened. my linked personal page is old and from when i just started doing web dev stuff so it's not the best, but I'm not sure if that's a real problem or not.

https://docdro.id/wyUlbvD

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Magnetic North posted:

I have had that happen a few times with outside recruiter firms and once with a huge company (+10K employees), so I wouldn't exactly call it normal. When it happens, I've found that first layer is extremely perfunctory. They read from a script that exactly matches what is in the job description, make no input themselves, lack the the ability to assess your suitability and could be replaced by one of those LinkedIn application questionnaires. They are the speed bump before getting to their boss, who will often call you at a different time.

It's a huge loving waste of time. Hey, rear end in a top hat, I obviously felt like I fit the job description well enough or I wouldn't have wasted my time applying. Now I need to attempt to explain it to a person who has no input in the process for literally no reason. I cannot imagine them failing to pass someone to the next level unless people are applying for jobs not even remotely suitable for them. "Well, I've been a baker for 15 years, but I'm looking for a change so I'm applying to be an Actuarial Manager."

The worst part is when they have these people asking technical questions that don't have a simple answer and you have to guess what's on the sheet that they're reading from.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Impermanent posted:

this resume is getting me very few interview or calls and I'm not sure if I'm bad or it's bad, so posting to see if anyone has any ideas. I've been looking off and on for a few years casually without any real sense of urgency but suddenly my job's culture has been torpedo'd and i'd very much like to move on to greener pastures. I used to get cold calls but that stopped some time last summer, not sure what's happened. my linked personal page is old and from when i just started doing web dev stuff so it's not the best, but I'm not sure if that's a real problem or not.

https://docdro.id/wyUlbvD

So I actively hire people exactly like you.

What roles are you looking for? This looks like a very strong mid-level resume but a pretty weak senior.

You are spending way too much time explaining what a FE dev does, the hiring manager will know what that is. Accomplishments mean more here.

I don't know how I feel about the quotes. I kinda like them for a newer engineer, not as much for a senior.

I think that format is hurting you, it took me too long to find your key skills. Again, I think that format is a better fit for a newer engineer.

If you're looking for senior roles, you need more leadership and "point person" on your resume. If you don't have that, its going to be an uphill climb until you get those opportunities at your current place.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
thanks for the feedback! I am looking for midlevel, even junior roles tbh. Almost every posting I see though is senior so i apply to all of those too and just pitch something like "did you need a senior or would a midlevel be fine." I think maybe I have a confidence problem? I've been the solo front end dev at my place for a while now so I don't have a lot of experience with code reviews, getting my stuff vetted by other professionals, etc. so I think I stumble a lot in interviews. What kind of things should I be looking to highlight?

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 10, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ok, so that helps if your looking for mid-level stuff.

Are you looking for remote work or a mix? Remote jobs are getting slammed with resumes so if you're getting even a few interviews on those you're doing great.

If you're a 1 man job, highlight things around communication and requirements gathering. Are you triaging bug reports yourself? Are you planning out your sprints or your kanban yourself? Are you responsible for building testing? Highlight that!

quote:

● Oversaw integration of various new front end UI elements.
● Analyzed site performance metrics, including ADA accessibility issues
and visitor statistics, and executed plans to positively impact these
numbers.
● Built front-page components with a mobile-first design to increase
traffic and retention rate for visitors on site.
● Worked with a large tool set to meet content needs on site, including
Google Optimize, VS Code, SiteImprove, JIRA, Git, and Monday.

First bullet is just repeating what a FE engineer does
second bullet: How much and what did you do to improve "visitor statistics"(?) DId you get your site to an WCAG grade?
3rd: HOW MUCH did you improve retention and traffic? What did you do?
4th: This is ok but you have some of these in the skill section. I'd probably suggest just putting them all in skills and only calling out very peculiar or industry specific tools (Not git or JIRA)

That kinda stuff would help.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Does everyone else have big peaks and valleys wrt how often they get interviews? I got laid off in February and it seems like I'll go two or three weeks* with nothing, and then a week or two where I get a handful of interviews scheduled, and then the cycle repeats even though my rate of submitting applications isn't any different. I'm about to give up and just sign up for a coding bootcamp I probably can't afford anymore because I'm sick of not working and I'm sick of throwing my resume into a void.

*Might need to replace weeks with months because, like everyone experienced during 2020, the passage of time has become meaningless to me.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
what volunteering work is actually relevant on a resume? if i went to university access programs, do i really need to include those for unrelated sales jobs?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

w4ddl3d33 posted:

what volunteering work is actually relevant on a resume? if i went to university access programs, do i really need to include those for unrelated sales jobs?

You don't need to include anything, a resume is a highlight of why you're qualified for a job, not an audit of your professional history. Include or remove whatever makes sense.

Personally I like to see volunteer stuff but I only need like, a bite or two, not a whole page dedicated to that. Others won't care.

Friend posted:

Does everyone else have big peaks and valleys wrt how often they get interviews? I got laid off in February and it seems like I'll go two or three weeks* with nothing, and then a week or two where I get a handful of interviews scheduled, and then the cycle repeats even though my rate of submitting applications isn't any different. I'm about to give up and just sign up for a coding bootcamp I probably can't afford anymore because I'm sick of not working and I'm sick of throwing my resume into a void.

*Might need to replace weeks with months because, like everyone experienced during 2020, the passage of time has become meaningless to me.

There are definitely hiring seasons and low points, correlating to things like end of quarters or vacations, etc. They aren't identical to each company but broadly line up.

Right now until like Thanksgiving is usually pretty good time for hiring, things will slow down, then mid-to-late-January to March usually is pretty good again.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 11, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Friend posted:

Theres definitely seasonality in hiring and it can vary on industry. e.g. its a buyers market for lawyers in Jan/Feb and there are far fewer in November because of a combo of year end rush and new years bonuses.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i had to submit a resume for a university application, this is that resume. how can i adjust it to apply for jobs? i'm looking to transfer within my current company

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Edit: Oh I just saw you posted it. Will take a look now.

Uhh, yeah, whats the job your trying to get? You should probably start over because this is probably not appropriate for most jobs.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 11, 2023

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Lockback posted:

Uhh, yeah, whats the job your trying to get? You should probably start over because this is probably not appropriate for most jobs.

no specific role, either inside sales or translation. i have a regular resume that i use for applying to jobs that's nothing like this, but after speaking to a few careers advisors/professional resume writers i've been told that some volunteer work is apparently a good thing on a resume, so ideally i'd like to find a good balance between the two sections

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sure, but

A) Get rid of/cut down the grades (though I know GCSEs can weigh in for early career stuff, but this looks excessive)
B) Pare down your unrelated job experience. Try to focus on achievements if you can.
C) You probably don't need to list summer school classes or conventions attended. Get these down to just a couple. I think they help in your case but they should only be taking up like 15% of your resume, not over a third.
D) Your language skills is your best skill and you have it buried.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i had to submit a resume for a university application, this is that resume. how can i adjust it to apply for jobs? i'm looking to transfer within my current company

Lockback posted:

I'm guessing OP is UK. I've only hired in the USA and resume norms here and elsewhere can vary a lot. Take with grain of salt.

Visually its super busy and gives equal weight to every word. Make a few things catch the eye. Emphasize experience over volunteering. That said, I think its good you've volunteered a lot.

There are typos.

Here's what I got from a 1 second glance: "This guy is a Multilingual Jew". If the message you wanted to communicate at a glance was "This guy is great at inside sales" well, I didnt get that, but it did check the translation box. However! After a more careful review, you tick some of the inside sales boxes, I'd infer you're probably decent at talking to people and customers based on the jobs and the volunteering experience. Honestly the volunteering experience pulls more weight for that aspect than the other stuff. I saw the language stuff because its Capitalized and up at the top same with your Judaism-Related Volunteer work.

I assume GCSE scores and B2/A2 level at various things means something in the UK and is normal to put on a resume because I hear them get mentioned on Cats Does Countdown sometimes.

I didn't read much of your work experience, even after I took the time to type all this out. Way too repetitive, congested, and an eye strain to read.

TLDR: My biggest complaint is the formatting, I dont think its too bad of content given your goal of entry level sales or translation work.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 11, 2023

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
one thing i forgot to mention: i work in the fitness industry for a company that manufactures spin bikes, which is why i've got my bike messaging on there lol. normally that'd go under 'odd jobs that i never mention', but it was relevant here

i'm also about to begin working with an experimental project within my company involving field sales and publicity stunts over the seasonal period, which will of course be added to my resume

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm guessing OP is UK. I've only hired in the USA and resume norms here and elsewhere can vary a lot. Take with grain of salt.

Visually its super busy and gives equal weight to every word. Make a few things catch the eye. Emphasize experience over volunteering. That said, I think its good you've volunteered a lot.

There are typos.

Here's what I got from a 1 second glance: "This guy is a Multilingual Jew". If the message you wanted to communicate at a glance was "This guy is great at inside sales" well, I didnt get that, but it did check the translation box. However! After a more careful review, you tick some of the inside sales boxes, I'd infer you're probably decent at talking to people and customers based on the jobs and the volunteering experience. Honestly the volunteering experience pulls more weight for that aspect than the other stuff. I saw the language stuff because its Capitalized and up at the top same with your Judaism-Related Volunteer work.

I assume GCSE scores and B2/A2 level at various things means something in the UK and is normal to put on a resume because I hear them get mentioned on Cats Does Countdown sometimes.

I didn't read much of your work experience, even after I took the time to type all this out. Way too repetitive, congested, and an eye strain to read.

TLDR: My biggest complaint is the formatting, I dont think its too bad of content given your goal of entry level sales or translation work.

currently i work for a uk branch of an international company, i'll be transferring over to austria, so i appreciate the international input. the gcse stuff just means i did well in high school, a2/b2 refers to the european central framework of reference for languages, which is the european language proficiency qualification system - i have basic working proficiency in german, professional working proficiency in french, and my georgian and russian are explained on my cv.

it's pretty common to be rejected from a job here based on apparent large gaps in your job history, so i've always been a little nervous about taking jobs off my cv, but i agree that it's super congested, and everything is too hard to read just because there's so much of it. i'll figure something out w that

i'm not fantastic at formatting, but i'm pretty good at juzshing up stuff on canva - in your personal opinion, do fancy super-designed resumes lead to more successful applications?

Lockback posted:

Sure, but

A) Get rid of/cut down the grades (though I know GCSEs can weigh in for early career stuff, but this looks excessive)
B) Pare down your unrelated job experience. Try to focus on achievements if you can.
C) You probably don't need to list summer school classes or conventions attended. Get these down to just a couple. I think they help in your case but they should only be taking up like 15% of your resume, not over a third.
D) Your language skills is your best skill and you have it buried.

my achievements are stuff that i've found make me less hireable. i've had to reword a ton of my resume because i used to work in the adult industry, and it turns out nobody wants to hire somebody who was the top adult toy salesperson in the entirety of the uk two years in a row, or who was headhunted for adam and eve's uk localisation, or who wrote training documents used to educate sex shop workers across the uk on safe fetish practises...it's very disheartening, it's been super hard leaving that field, in part because of how sex-negative this country is

w4ddl3d33 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 11, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
GCSEs won't matter poo poo since you got some A-levels. Same reason I don't put my Junior Cert (and Leaving Cert TBH) on my CV beyond acknowledging that I did it in a fancy school. Fancy enough that you have heard of at least one of the alumni, so the name alone carries weight. Otherwise nobody cares.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

w4ddl3d33 posted:

do fancy super-designed resumes lead to more successful applications?

No.

Many companies and job boards cant parse them. Your resume should be loaded correctly by Taleo/Indeed/LinkedIn and you should design your resume around that requirement to make applying easy for you and them.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm coming up on a year at my current job as a Contract Specialist (fancy term for contracts paralegal) and while I'm not in any rush to jump ship, I do feel that I should start brushing up my CV just in case, and for practice if nothing else.

The context is that I was an attorney in LATAM for 10+ years and in 2022 I moved to the US so my wife could get her Masters degree. She did, and landed a fairly good job, and suddenly I had a lot of experience that was not worth much for US roles, so I had to start from the "bottom" as it were. The net result is that it's hard not to make my last year like a huge demotion, but I'm also keenly aware that 1 year of US experience is worth more than 10+ abroad (when it comes to landing US jobs).

I think CarForumPoster probably has the most industry-relevant insights, but all criticism is appreciated. This version is fairly generic, but my ideal roles would be within tech and tech-related companies.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

dpkg chopra posted:

I think CarForumPoster probably has the most industry-relevant insights, but all criticism is appreciated. This version is fairly generic, but my ideal roles would be within tech and tech-related companies.

It’s not bad but I can offer some polishing tips.

I typed up a post in app but it got lost. I’ll look tomorrow. How much are you looking to make/hr?

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

CarForumPoster posted:

There are typos.

i can't find any? maybe i'm just being dumb tho

anyway i took a bunch of everybody's advice to heart, i changed some of the design elements (my name and contact information is censored, but it's a larger size, and is in hex colour #8C75F5 in line with my company's current branding), added some achievements, tried to adjust the weight of the text a little. let me know if this is any better

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

It’s not bad but I can offer some polishing tips.

I typed up a post in app but it got lost. I’ll look tomorrow. How much are you looking to make/hr?

It's a hard market to price. There's people with barely any legal background that hold the same title and do little more than basic contract execution stuff. Those roles go as low as 50-60k but obviously I'm not interested in that at all.

I do that PLUS actively research and negotiate these agreements (on the non-rev side and with engagement value caps, ofc). I'm honestly hamstrung by not having an LLM + bar admittance, but not interested in doing that right now.

Right now, my floor is 100k/year plus typical benefits. If I'd had this CV a year ago, my floor would have probably been 120k/year but the market has very obviously shrunk quite a bit. I know FAANG can go even higher, but those are highly competitive (although it's not impossible that I could leverage me working as a Vendor into a full-time role, maybe with another year under my belt).

I'm also gearing up to finish my goddamn Contract Management courses and certs in the next year after putting them on pause as I got used to having a full-time job again (also NCMA literally took almost a year to approve my cert test request, wtf).

I'm essentially brushing up my CV to get an on-the-ground feel to what I could realistically go for in the next 6-12 months.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dpkg chopra posted:

I'm coming up on a year at my current job as a Contract Specialist (fancy term for contracts paralegal) and while I'm not in any rush to jump ship, I do feel that I should start brushing up my CV just in case, and for practice if nothing else.

The context is that I was an attorney in LATAM for 10+ years and in 2022 I moved to the US so my wife could get her Masters degree. She did, and landed a fairly good job, and suddenly I had a lot of experience that was not worth much for US roles, so I had to start from the "bottom" as it were. The net result is that it's hard not to make my last year like a huge demotion, but I'm also keenly aware that 1 year of US experience is worth more than 10+ abroad (when it comes to landing US jobs).

Lol, I might have a job lead for you. DM incoming.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I've never applied to international companies before, I've been in academia/public sector stuff/medical junk forever. This is wild

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

dpkg chopra posted:

Hey sorry havent had much free time to get into the details of your resume again. Here are my thoughts roughly in order they occurred:
- Overall good, easy to understand.
- Good you started with US Cit. Argentine lawyer. I see that situation fairly often in applicants, so itll be familiar to most hiring managers.
- You spend way too much real estate talking about the niche softwares you've used. Suggest moving most of them to a skills section at the bottom if youre looking to keyword stuff.
- You're a lawyer who can code, why not join a legal tech startup? Seems WAY easier way to make $figgies.
- I think the lines about specific softwares are low value, that you can code is high value. Explain how your coding abilities (lawyers dont know what python is or why its helpful) allow you to automate tasks that take the job of 3 people into 1 person.
- I did business reviews for earned value required programs and now run a legal tech startup and IDK what some of these acronyms are. Are you seeing these acronyms in job descriptions? If no, drop them, if yes, spell them out and/or move them to a skills section except for the super common ones like SOW.
- Its very contract processing specific, I wouldnt consider you for a litigation paralegal role but maybe thats intentional.
- I like months on a resume.

dpkg chopra posted:

Right now, my floor is 100k/year plus typical benefits. If I'd had this CV a year ago, my floor would have probably been 120k/year but the market has very obviously shrunk quite a bit. I know FAANG can go even higher, but those are highly competitive (although it's not impossible that I could leverage me working as a Vendor into a full-time role, maybe with another year under my belt).

FYI: $90k is the 90th% nationwide for paralegals. https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes232011.htm

In my state $90k gets you a junior associate, but in a few areas like parts of CA and DC $90k is the average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
is there anywhere on SA that i missed to post actual job leads? my job will be looking for someone experienced in hospitality in the new year for a tourist activities manager job - and the reason I'm asking is we'll be looking for someone who's a native English speaker for various reasons.

It's in greenland, so Europeans would have no automatic visa and thus no advantages in applying over Americans, for example. And while Greenlandic residency doesn't offer an automatic Schengen/EU visa, it IS a backdoor to Danish residency, which is in the EU.
A lot of Americans on SA talk about wanting to move somewhere with free healthcare and slightly saner politics, so i figure it might be a good fit for someone on these dead forums.