Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

In Deus Ex 2 what was intended to be the hardest difficulty was actually the easiest, because all damage got multiplied and since the player character was primarily an ambush predator this made it easier to take enemies out before they could hurt you, reducing attrition.

STALKER had a kind of inverse difficulty issue too, in that higher difficulties made everyone more lethal. On lower difficulties, plain army mooks were total bullet sponges (being the first guys you encounter with actual armor) unless you were using the right gun, to the point of tanking shotgun blasts to the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Last of Us also did that. High difficulties are basically rocket tag where your revolver is intentionally a one hit kill golden gun, but so are the enemies'.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Thing dragging down FF16 - I literally only just realised that you can mix and match the different elemental powers., like you theoretically could have Shiva's circle button move with Ramuh's judgement bolt and Garuda's tornado.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

BioEnchanted posted:

Thing dragging down FF16 - I literally only just realised that you can mix and match the different elemental powers., like you theoretically could have Shiva's circle button move with Ramuh's judgement bolt and Garuda's tornado.

I see someone didn't play Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. :smug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

The Last of Us also did that. High difficulties are basically rocket tag where your revolver is intentionally a one hit kill golden gun, but so are the enemies'.

This kind of thing makes the difficulties in Tsushima kind of weird, too. Once they came out with the Lethal difficulties, there wasn't much point to trying Hard because it is going to be more of an exercise in tedium than anything. Lethal is tough, but more satisfying to take enemies down quickly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lobok posted:

This kind of thing makes the difficulties in Tsushima kind of weird, too. Once they came out with the Lethal difficulties, there wasn't much point to trying Hard because it is going to be more of an exercise in tedium than anything. Lethal is tough, but more satisfying to take enemies down quickly.

I kinda felt like allies' health was the thing holding me back from lethal in that one. I could generally handle it on my own, but it felt like I was hitting game over due to somebody else dying more often. I'm not even 100% sure whether they tuned down your allies' health the same way in that mode, it just felt that way.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

The Lone Badger posted:

In Deus Ex 2 what was intended to be the hardest difficulty was actually the easiest, because all damage got multiplied and since the player character was primarily an ambush predator this made it easier to take enemies out before they could hurt you, reducing attrition.

Didn't Deus Ex 1 have a "realistic" mode that basically did the same thing? I wanted my headshots to be headshots, so

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I don't think I ever played DE on anything other than normal, but I also never played it anyway other than nightman shooting tranq darts into illuminati dicks so it probably wouldn't have been any harder even if I did :thunk:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

credburn posted:

Didn't Deus Ex 1 have a "realistic" mode that basically did the same thing? I wanted my headshots to be headshots, so

This got recently posted to the Deus Ex thread recently https://steamcommunity.com/games/dx-revision/announcements/detail/1722000388004993698

Basically, your headshots were never headshots.

Also, now you have to reinstall.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Not really a little thing, but new Robocop game is traaaaash.

Demo dropped as part of steam next fest. Absolutely woeful voice acting, dialogue, and animation, stomping around popping people's heads into pink mist is spectacular enough to be fun for about 10 minutes, but combat is not good enough to sustain a full campaign.

It also includes a lot of game design sensibilities that seem to harken back to the early 2010s and there's a loving sidequest where you do paperwork. And no, it's not a well-executed satirical tongue-in-cheek thing, it's just poo poo.

Above image is max graphical settings as well, which still manages to make a 4070TI stutter a bit on 1440p, which is an impressive low graphical quality to performance hit ratio. With a 38GB download for the demo, they're not exactly skimping on texture size either. I can run Cyberpunk on the same resolution at max everything with loving path tracing on and not dip below 80 frames and it looks absolutely gorgeous, but something that looks like this an all max settings can stutter?

This demo made me immediately unwishlist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That looks exactly like the police station from Wanted: Dead, haha.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"You have 10 seconds to comply."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

That looks exactly like the police station from Wanted: Dead, haha.

I'm broken enough that I recognized it immediately as modeled from the '87 movie :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Breetai posted:

Demo dropped as part of steam next fest. Absolutely woeful voice acting, dialogue, and animation, stomping around popping people's heads into pink mist is spectacular enough to be fun for about 10 minutes, but combat is not good enough to sustain a full campaign.

It also includes a lot of game design sensibilities that seem to harken back to the early 2010s and there's a loving sidequest where you do paperwork. And no, it's not a well-executed satirical tongue-in-cheek thing, it's just poo poo.

Above image is max graphical settings as well, which still manages to make a 4070TI stutter a bit on 1440p, which is an impressive low graphical quality to performance hit ratio. With a 38GB download for the demo, they're not exactly skimping on texture size either. I can run Cyberpunk on the same resolution at max everything with loving path tracing on and not dip below 80 frames and it looks absolutely gorgeous, but something that looks like this an all max settings can stutter?

Lol, I downloaded it expecting to laugh at it based on this...and I kinda dug it? The visual presentation leaning into the whole 80s style was fun, and the iffy production somehow managed to be charming in a low budget movie kinda way. I'll take your word that the design doesn't hold up longer term though, there are too many big games coming out soon that I know I'll love for me to gamble money on something like this that I never heard of before today.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Be sure to reset ones you're not using and pump the AP into those you are. You're not gonna have remotely enough to level all of them.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Breetai posted:

I watched a developer playing few the first few minutes of the game, and the slow stomping noise and he plodded around drive me bananas almost immediately.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dear video games developers, please stop doing this eye-adaption HDR effect.

https://i.imgur.com/RkPXX89.mp4

In Cyberpunk it is truly obnoxious, you can't see poo poo outside in the daylight if you're underneath an overpass or something.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

CJacobs posted:

In Cyberpunk it is truly obnoxious, you can't see poo poo outside in the daylight if you're underneath an overpass or something.

incorrectly regarded as goofs. your character has glaucoma

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

CJacobs posted:

Bad news: this appears to be a default setting in Unreal 5.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
always disable hdr, motion blur, and screen shake

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

I played pre-patch and this effect happened when I got into a car. I couldn't see where I was going because it dimmed the interior while making the windshield an impenetrable wall of light.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My opinion is that tasteful per-object motion blur can be good. But chromatic aberration is always bad. And film grain, why do video games have film grain.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I've noticed some games have started using chromatic abberation tastefully, notably to show something magical or hosed up is going on. It actually looks good when done properly!

Octopath 1 and 2 use a lot of depth of field effects and manages to make it look good. I think it's the only games I didn't want to immediatly turn it off.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I've realized that there's a particular kind of quest solution that I've realized I associate with Bethesda specifically: when there's an intended, novel solution to a quest that's supposed to reward some level of thought (or at least reading comprehension), but the game has so little feedback for that solution that it stops feeling like a tailored alternative approach and more like you just stumbled on an exploit. The Dark Brotherhood questlines had a lot of these.

So far, I'm also feeling like Baldur's Gate 3 has a lot of them. ...As well as quests where there aren't actually alternatives at all, despite things being set up as if they are. The goblin hideout raid has both.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Kitfox88 posted:

always disable hdr, motion blur, and screen shake

And TAA. I have yet to see a single game do TAA well. In every case, it just applies a Vaseline filter to the screen while also making gameplay look like interlaced footage. I would rather "downgrade" to FXAA or SMAA than ever use temporal.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I've realized that there's a particular kind of quest solution that I've realized I associate with Bethesda specifically: when there's an intended, novel solution to a quest that's supposed to reward some level of thought (or at least reading comprehension), but the game has so little feedback for that solution that it stops feeling like a tailored alternative approach and more like you just stumbled on an exploit. The Dark Brotherhood questlines had a lot of these.

So far, I'm also feeling like Baldur's Gate 3 has a lot of them. ...As well as quests where there aren't actually alternatives at all, despite things being set up as if they are. The goblin hideout raid has both.

You mean the one where you can get the drow even as a 'good' character by beating her unconscious, polymorphing her into a sheep, using animal controlling spells to add her to your party, then carrying her around using the improvised weapon rules until you get to the trial segment where the judge will happily sentence the sheep?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Goblin Camp is a particularly bad example to illustrate this point because there are at least a half dozen different ways to resolve it.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Read After Burning posted:

I see someone didn't play Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. :smug:

I’m still mad that you had to have such a complicated setup in order to play that game multiplayer. I only managed it once and it was a ton of fun but getting four people together with game boys and the required cable was impossible.

To really twist the knife they remade the game a while back but made such terrible design decisions that not a single one of my friends would pick it up.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

In Uncharted 4 there is a short section in a wine cellar that was constantly flipping between actual darkness and movie darkness where everything is completely visible. I thought I was going crazy or the lighting was, but now I know, huh.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

moosecow333 posted:

I’m still mad that you had to have such a complicated setup in order to play that game multiplayer. I only managed it once and it was a ton of fun but getting four people together with game boys and the required cable was impossible.

To really twist the knife they remade the game a while back but made such terrible design decisions that not a single one of my friends would pick it up.

Right?! I was so excited for the port/remake/whatever, and then never heard a single person say a good thing about it. :ohdear:

I would leave the game on in the background as a kid just to hear the soundtrack. :kiddo:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I really like motion blur :shrug:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

credburn posted:

I really like motion blur :shrug:

Same. I also like well done eye-adaptation, as long as it's not blindingly drastic.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So since i wrote about Prey the other day i’ve been playing the Mooncrash DLC.

Things dragging down it down : it’s better than the main game in practically every way,also i hate moonsharks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So should I be turning off V-Sync or no?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Assassin's Creed Origins: Punching a guard in the stomach and having him moan and bitch and roll around on the ground holding his stomach is not an "assassination"

e: I mean I'll take the xp but still

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Oct 11, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've been playing Crash Bandicoot 4 on and off for a while now, finally finished it, and it's alternated between being really drat good and kicking my rear end hard (while still being pretty good, just, you know, mean about it), but one thing really annoyed me about it: playing as Cortex. I liked the other characters well enough, though each had their own annoyances (especially the level design hiding crates way off in the background for the grappling hook so I'm always one or two off), but Cortex was just miserable.
- that dumb turning-enemies-into-platforms mechanic where you have to keep shooting them at just the right time, and you need two shots to make them actually useful, and it's inconsistent
- aiming the pistol in general, absolute nightmare in the 3D sections
- limited range on the pistol super unfun in general
- the general nature of his stuff being mostly puzzle platformy, super flowbreaking waiting for stuff to align well, having to time shots just right as you go up and down to nail singular crates...
- his dash with the fixed range, UGH
- the stupid flailing move he has but only AFTER the dash

I kinda wanna play more and find the colored gems and more clear ones but ugh I don't want to play as Cortex again

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

The Goblin Camp is a particularly bad example to illustrate this point because there are at least a half dozen different ways to resolve it.

Weird how they all turn into a flat-out brawl against both Minthara and the hobgoblin. Those fights are okay, I guess, but there's no real way to significantly alter them or tip the scales beyond 'bring a bear into them'.

The goblin healer can be lured off on her own, but that's what brought the Bethesda Vibe because once she was off on her own all I could do was sucker-punch her, there was no dialog to acknowledge what I did, which really took away the idea that I was outsmarting an actual character and more just felt like I gamed a system.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I mean, how far did you go with the priestess? Did you meet Korilla?

The Goblin Camp/Druid Grove drama ultimately ends with you siding with one or the other or none (you can just leave and move to the next act entirely by going through the mountains or the Underdark).

You can send Minthara on a raid to get her out of the camp, and then use barrels or murder to thin the numbers before fighting the hob. You don't have to do an all out brawl if you aren't caught, even if you explode the hobgoblin with TNT.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Oct 11, 2023

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Weird how they all turn into a flat-out brawl against both Minthara and the hobgoblin. Those fights are okay, I guess, but there's no real way to significantly alter them or tip the scales beyond 'bring a bear into them'.
The most common trick to use against Minthara is telling her the attack on the grove is on, then knocking down the bridge she's on when she's walking away from the conversation.
The fight against Raxlin doesn't have that many variations, but at least you can go into the rafters and turn it from a brawl into a shooting range. Thankfully, the enemies don't have attacks with knockback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Suleman posted:

The most common trick to use against Minthara is telling her the attack on the grove is on, then knocking down the bridge she's on when she's walking away from the conversation.
The fight against Raxlin doesn't have that many variations, but at least you can go into the rafters and turn it from a brawl into a shooting range. Thankfully, the enemies don't have attacks with knockback.

There is at least one warlock goblin with a lash that can pull you into the spider pit, which was an alarming discovery for my rogue in my first playthrough.