Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

So I had a fun bug happen recently where Facebook Messenger wasn't respecting existing Priority Conversation settings I had set for some chats, meaning they weren't getting through DND mode. After trying a number of settings and adjustments I finally reset the cache and storage for the app and that finally allowed me to set the conversations as priority again and allow them to bypass DND settings (as I have that set). I've seen reports of this happening for WhatsApp for people the last few months, I'm assuming some backed change happened on either FB's side or Androids side and cleaning out the notification settings that were stored in the app with the clearing out of user settings got that cleared. Wanted to post that here if anyone else runs into it.

Edit:

Kirios posted:

What the gently caress T Mobile why doesn't my Pixel 7 have 14 yet?!
My 6 Pro has it, I had to manually refresh a few times a few days ago. Try two refreshes to check?

minusX fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The ones with the G2 are held up. Presumably it has something to do with the new carrier aggregation.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Another trip report on battery life on Pixel 7 with Android 14. There's not much interest in the thread on this but oh well.

The dismal battery life I got yesterday in work (which I was also getting with Android 13) seems to have been the Wi-Fi being switched on but not logged in to the work network. Today I had Wi-Fi switched off and ran the phone on 5G, and left after 7 hours on 82% battery and about 15 minutes screen on time.

On Android 13, the 5G-only battery life tanked only a little more slowly than with Wi-Fi on but not connected. So I think I can take from this that the 5G radio has had some special sauce applied.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Another trip report on battery life on Pixel 7 with Android 14. There's not much interest in the thread on this but oh well.

There's probably interest, but given Pixel 8 isn't in people's hands and the Pixel 7 still doesn't have14 if you're on T-Mobile/Google Fi, not many people have Android 14 yet.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Blurb3947 posted:

GrapheneOS has had 14 available for a few days now. This ROM is awesome.

GrapheneOS looks intriguing and might make me buy a Pixel 8. How's your experience with the compatibility of the sandboxed Google Play (especially banking apps)? And is the camera quality just as good as before flashing?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

The Merkinman posted:

There's probably interest, but given Pixel 8 isn't in people's hands and the Pixel 7 still doesn't have14 if you're on T-Mobile/Google Fi, not many people have Android 14 yet.

I'm on 6 pro on Fi and have 14

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Bourricot posted:

GrapheneOS looks intriguing and might make me buy a Pixel 8. How's your experience with the compatibility of the sandboxed Google Play (especially banking apps)? And is the camera quality just as good as before flashing?

I've been using it for almost 2 years now. The app compatibility was the biggest blocker for a lot of people but the Google integration they have now works great, even when using a separate profile. I haven't had any apps not work, even a small time credit union bank app. Most of what I use is from F Droid and for a while I just used the Aurora Store before I had decided to do the Google sandboxing.

For the camera, I just use the Google Cam app as I believe the included one is missing a lot of features and the results aren't nearly as good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

hark posted:

I'm on 6 pro on Fi and have 14

I mean let's try to have some reading comprehension - they clearly said Pixel 7 (it's also the 7 Pro, 7a and the Fold that's affected).

My wife's 6a upgraded to 14 no problem and my 7 still hasn't been pushed the update. I'm saying screw it and side loading it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Two whiskey-scented tears trickled down the sides of my nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. I had won the victory over myself. I loved Pixel 8.

While I'm pleasantly shocked to see the dramatic battery improvements in my Pixel 7 with Android 14, I think it's time I accept I'm just a fly around the poo poo of new product launches.

The way I'm justifying it to myself is this: I have 2x 2-year contracts that run 12 months apart. My normal idea is to get a new contract every 12 months while closing the one that just ended. Theoretically, I sell my previous phone and whatever the offer is for the pre-order that year, and use that money to pay off the vast majority of the next 12 month contract, or just suck it up and treat myself to a few bottles of Redbreast.

This last year I took the road less travelled and have had 2 contracts this past 12 months. Thing is, I can get around £240 on trade-in for my Pixel 7, and selling the Pixel Buds Pro (which I have from last year's offer) for £150 would take care of the buy-out of my next 12 months contract. So I'd have the latest version of the device I use most in my life for only a little pain in the rear end.

Good thing is I can wait on the reviews to come in for the 8 since the Pixel Buds Pro offer is valid to 16th October, so if it turns out to be a hand warmer or battery bitch, I can bail out.

Destroy me.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
managed to bypass my problem of a moist/dirty port warning on a samsung tab A, where the normal fix is clearing the usb cache but I can't because samsung says gently caress you

going to the recovery menu and clearing the main cache then hitting reboot and quickly slapping in the charging cable before it gets more than a few seconds into booting- that will let me charge it fully and use it perfectly fine while charging but as soon as the cable comes out, it decides it's moist/dirty again

I'm guessing with this behaviour it's 50/50 whether soldering in a new port would actually make a difference and there's a lot of fiddly ribbon cables for me to gently caress up even getting there so I think it's "fixed" now

Oh and anecdotal but I'm noticing better battery life on my 7 since I got 14 on here so far

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Blurb3947 posted:

I've been using it for almost 2 years now. The app compatibility was the biggest blocker for a lot of people but the Google integration they have now works great, even when using a separate profile. I haven't had any apps not work, even a small time credit union bank app. Most of what I use is from F Droid and for a while I just used the Aurora Store before I had decided to do the Google sandboxing.

For the camera, I just use the Google Cam app as I believe the included one is missing a lot of features and the results aren't nearly as good.

Thanks for the insight, especially about the picture quality. Seems like a Pixel 8 with GrapheneOS would be a good way to have Android, with long term support, without giving all my personal data to Google.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Bourricot posted:

Been using GrapheneOS for the last week, haven't had any compatibility issues so far including with my bank's app. Don't really take enough phone pictures to really judge. In general, really enjoyed the experience of not feeling at war with my phone for the first time in forever: it's a lot less *pushy* than the stock Pixel ROM, especially with the extremely minimal GApps set I've got (services, store, Maps). Also feels better on the battery, but I don't have hard numbers for that.

You get the usual issue of all the included Android Open Source Project apps like the alarm or calculator being kinda old and crusty, but it's easy to replace those. One weird minor issue is they force ahead of time compilation on apps which mostly makes app installs take slightly longer, but on the update to Android 14 that was pushed today to stable brought back the dreaded "Optimizing Apps: 1 of 189" screen from old versions of Android during the update reboot.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

gourdcaptain posted:

One weird minor issue is they force ahead of time compilation on apps which mostly makes app installs take slightly longer, but on the update to Android 14 that was pushed today to stable brought back the dreaded "Optimizing Apps: 1 of 189" screen from old versions of Android during the update reboot.

If it's any consolation, installing a major version update to a Pixel takes as long as a 12MB security patch for some reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, but you can keep using your phone while you are doing it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

they started shipping my phone return kit before the actual phone

google pls

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Bourricot posted:

I've been running it for a couple weeks and my only complaint is no NFC payments.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

withoutclass posted:

I've been running it for a couple weeks and my only complaint is no NFC payments.

Which isn't really so much a GrapheneOS-specific issue as "Google et. all are jackasses about having the stock OS for that."

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

wound up manually flashing a14 on my p7 the other day bc i got tired of manually refreshing the update screen and being told i was up to date (tmobile). it factory resets your phone and i had to do it a second time for all my app and sms info to restore from my previous backup, which was a slight pain, but overall im glad i bothered.

everything feels really slick and mature ie no visual or functional hiccups and things operating as expected with surprise/delight ui elements. i really dig the new back animation and shapes for lock screen pin inputs, etc. little things like that go a long way.

the new lock screen clock options are mostly too cartoony for me, but the one with the time and date and weather going around the sides of the display is really slick and minimal. huge improvement to make my phone feel fresh with just cosmetic differences.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

gourdcaptain posted:

Which isn't really so much a GrapheneOS-specific issue as "Google et. all are jackasses about having the stock OS for that."

Yes totally, I should've been more clear.

For content I will admit that I tried going for multiple users over the past two weeks and gave up. Its real annoying switching between different users for different sets of applications.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
If someone happened to spill soda on their phone what's the best product to use to get the buttons unsticky? Rubbing alcohol?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Tremors posted:

If someone happened to spill soda on their phone what's the best product to use to get the buttons unsticky? Rubbing alcohol?

Assuming the phone is IP68 water resistant I would personally just swish it around in some warm water and washing up liquid.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Ran into my first GrapheneOS incompatiblity issue today with the app for my health insurance provider hanging at launch (need it to pull up my insurance card). It works if I go into the OS config for the app and turn on "Exploit protection compatibility mode", though.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

wound up manually flashing a14 on my p7 the other day bc i got tired of manually refreshing the update screen and being told i was up to date (tmobile). it factory resets your phone and i had to do it a second time for all my app and sms info to restore from my previous backup, which was a slight pain, but overall im glad i bothered.

everything feels really slick and mature ie no visual or functional hiccups and things operating as expected with surprise/delight ui elements. i really dig the new back animation and shapes for lock screen pin inputs, etc. little things like that go a long way.

the new lock screen clock options are mostly too cartoony for me, but the one with the time and date and weather going around the sides of the display is really slick and minimal. huge improvement to make my phone feel fresh with just cosmetic differences.

I ended up just downloading any installing the OTA from Google via ADB. I had zero issues but I'm pretty comfortable with that kind of stuff so YMMV.

I definitely agree with the new UI stuff. Even the new Swype animation is a lot slicker. I also immediately gravitated to that lock screen - it looks really cool.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I've been lucky enough to test the Pixel 8 Pro for the past few months - here are some impressions!

- It's certainly the most premium feeling Pixel device to date. It almost kinda feels like an iPhone with the sturdiness of the build quality. There's no hollowness here and the weight combined with the materials definitely feel like an upgrade vs the 7 Pro.
- The haptics are significantly better. They are more pronounced and are easily noticeable in your pocket, etc.
- The screen is also an upgrade (not to mention the flat display improved usability for me). The pixels seem closer to the glass and the brightness can crank up pretty far in direct sunlight.
- The cameras, as expected, are fantastic. The biggest improvements for me were in macro, wide angle, and night sight photos. Macro especially can achieve some insane results, and both wide angle and night shots produce less noise and lens flare.
- The new Magic Editor tools are nuts. The feature to cut an object and move it to a different part of the photo has worked flawlessly in my tests and I have no clue how it works so well. Audio Magic Eraser also works really well and I can see it being super helpful.
- Performance wise, it's a bit snappier than the 7 Pro but I don't really do gaming or intensive stuff with my phone so this wasn't a huge area of interest to me. I've only ever had to reboot the phone for software updates and I haven't had to force close anything or mess with non-default settings.
- Battery life seems a bit better than the 7 Pro and idle battery life drain is improved - although not sure if this is more related to Android 14 optimizations than the actual hardware.
- It can still get warm at times under heavy load. It's not as frequent or noticeable as the 7 Pro but still present when using Android Auto, setting up the phone, or intensive AI stuff. It hasn't gotten warm during normal use (browsing, videos, etc).

Let me know if there's anything else you're curious about!

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 11, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

UncleGuito posted:

I've been lucky enough to test the Pixel 8 Pro for the past few months - here are some impressions!

- It's certainly the most premium feeling Pixel device to date. It almost kinda feels like an iPhone with the sturdiness of the build quality. There's no hollowness here and the weight combined with the materials definitely feel like an upgrade vs the 7 Pro.
- The haptics are significantly better. They are more pronounced and are easily noticeable in your pocket, etc.
- The screen is also an upgrade (not to mention the flat display improved usability for me). The pixels seem closer to the glass and the brightness can crank up pretty far in direct sunlight.
- The cameras, as expected, are fantastic. The biggest improvements for me were in macro, wide angle, and night sight photos. Macro especially can achieve some insane results, and both wide angle and night shots produce less noise and lens flare.
- The new Magic Editor tools are nuts. The feature to cut an object and move it to a different part of the photo has worked flawlessly in my tests and I have no clue how it works so well. Audio Magic Eraser also works really well and I can see it being super helpful.
- Performance wise, it's a bit snappier than the 7 Pro but I don't really do gaming or intensive stuff with my phone so this wasn't a huge area of interest to me. I've only ever had to reboot the phone for software updates and I haven't had to force close anything or mess with non-default settings.
- Battery life seems a bit better than the 7 Pro and idle battery life drain is improved - although not sure if this is more related to Android 14 optimizations than the actual hardware.
- It can still get warm at times under heavy load. It's not as frequent or noticeable as the 7 Pro but still present when using Android Auto, setting up the phone, or intensive AI stuff. It hasn't gotten warm during normal use (browsing, videos, etc).

You lucky beggar. What's call quality like? How's the earpiece? Have you been able to use the video feature where it's sent to Google for post processing? What sort of screen on time are you getting?

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

UncleGuito posted:

This is great to know, thanks for sharing! Is there any improvement in slow motion video? For my 6 pro I get grainy videos, that skip frames and I don't think it can actually focus. Haven't heard anything about performance of this on the 8 pro...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i wish the 48mp ultrawide was part of the pixel 8 package

i hate telephoto and i never use it

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

UncleGuito posted:

my pixel 5 and my pixel 7 both had wobbly power buttons that see-saw'd back and forth if you pressed either side without pressing hard enough to actually engage the button. it isn't a huge deal but drives me nuts when it comes to considering overall build quality and attention to detail. i assume this isn't the case on the 8 but just checking!

Kirios posted:

I ended up just downloading any installing the OTA from Google via ADB. I had zero issues but I'm pretty comfortable with that kind of stuff so YMMV.

I definitely agree with the new UI stuff. Even the new Swype animation is a lot slicker. I also immediately gravitated to that lock screen - it looks really cool.

yeah i went to this page on the android developer site. it would definitely intimidate the average normie when they have to plug in their phone and see a bootloader(?) type screen. but i'm also comfy with it.

and heck yeah on the Best Lock Screen :hfive:

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You lucky beggar. What's call quality like? How's the earpiece? Have you been able to use the video feature where it's sent to Google for post processing? What sort of screen on time are you getting?

Call quality has been great so far. Super clear and no issues with Verizon. Also haven't noticed any issues with 5G like my 7 Pro. I don't think the video thing is arriving til later this year? SOT is usually around 6.5 hours - easily lasts the day.

I haven't tried much video but can do some tests today. MKBHD published a car video earlier today that showcases a huge improvement in video quality (apparently better than the latest iphones) but the audio struggled with the wind.

The buttons are clicky and sturdy. Not quite iPhone level but better than the vast majority of other Android phones (including previous Pixels).

Another thing to note on photos: the shutter speed or processing seem to be significantly improved to the point where moving subjects (dogs, kids, etc) often come out just fine with little to no blurring.

Face unlock is also finally here for payments and authentication - it works really well.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 11, 2023

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Does sideloading Android 14 require a full wipe of data? It's been a week and it's asinine there is no transparency as to when Tmobile will finally get off their asses and decide to roll it out.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

UncleGuito posted:

Call quality has been great so far. Super clear and no issues with Verizon. Also haven't noticed any issues with 5G like my 7 Pro. I don't think the video thing is arriving til later this year? SOT is usually around 6.5 hours - easily lasts the day.

I haven't tried much video but can do some tests today. MKBHD published a car video earlier today that showcases a huge improvement in video quality (apparently better than the latest iphones) but the audio struggled with the wind.

The buttons are clicky and sturdy. Not quite iPhone level but better than the vast majority of other Android phones (including previous Pixels).

Another thing to note on photos: the shutter speed or processing seem to be significantly improved to the point where moving subjects (dogs, kids, etc) often come out just fine with little to no blurring.

Face unlock is also finally here for payments and authentication - it works really well.

Thanks son. Does the face unlock work in the dark?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks son. Does the face unlock work in the dark?

Unfortunately no.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
How does GrapheneOS handle launchers? All those interesting launchers (I am using Niagara right now) want payment through google, so that sounds like it could be convoluted if you want to minimize exposure.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

UncleGuito posted:

Unfortunately no.

Going to make a case that has a tiny IR illuminator array on the top, that draws from the battery and lights up your face invisibly whenever you are handling the phone in the dark. Just kidding, but someone should/could?

Edit: from camera probably has IR filter, shucks.

But I'm kind of surprised the blinding light of the fingerprint reader doesn't double as a face illuminator!

Ragaduffin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 11, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

UncleGuito posted:

Unfortunately no.

Didn't think so, shame. How is the fingerprint sensor compared to the Pixel 7's?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

How does GrapheneOS handle launchers? All those interesting launchers (I am using Niagara right now) want payment through google, so that sounds like it could be convoluted if you want to minimize exposure.

Paid apps work fine through the sandboxed Google Play Services, which includes the Google Play Store. I'm using the paid version of Hyperion Launcher right now with it, even.

Google Play Services only has Network, Sensors, and a faked empty contact list for permissions at the moment and that works along with app functionality and app auto updates, and I'm not sure Sensors is necessary. :p

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 11, 2023

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Didn't think so, shame. How is the fingerprint sensor compared to the Pixel 7's?

Seems pretty much the same but I didn't really have any big issues with mine on the 7 Pro to begin with. Sometimes takes a 2nd try but not to the point where it annoys me.

I use face unlock the vast majority of the time, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS8x2TicxQ8

Talks about the product segmentation stuff and the fingerprint reader (which I have the opposite experience with), but overall very very positive review. He basically places it right alongside the flagshipiest of flagships.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS8x2TicxQ8

Talks about the product segmentation stuff and the fingerprint reader (which I have the opposite experience with), but overall very very positive review. He basically places it right alongside the flagshipiest of flagships.

What's his daily driver, if he has such a thing given his line of work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It was P6P, S23U, P7P, Pixel Fold.

His personal phone is Android and his work phone is iPhone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 11, 2023