Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

ilitarist posted:

you probably wouldn't like if you don't like mission trees and want a more freeform strategic experience.

Idk, that describes me well and i still have a ton of fun with Anbennar. I once played a game as Venail where my one objective was to move to the New World and conquer a perfectly round empire.

You can always ignore the Mission Trees and do whatever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Correct me if I am wrong here, but aren't the mission trees more a thing made for the AI to have any general idea of what it is supposed to be doing instead of just randomly bumbling about?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ok fellas which one of you is going to buy the star trek game

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

VostokProgram posted:

I did. I don't have a moment to sit down with it right now, but the first thing that struck me was how it mostly seemed to be Stellaris with things taken out, more than added. Maybe the new stuff just isn't anywhere that obvious.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

VostokProgram posted:

There's a thread for it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042510

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

skipThings posted:

Correct me if I am wrong here, but aren't the mission trees more a thing made for the AI to have any general idea of what it is supposed to be doing instead of just randomly bumbling about?

They've always had the ability to give the AI goals/interests without a player facing system, though I suspect once mission trees were added it simplified it a lot and it built into the mission tree logic is code that tells the AI how to follow them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I was disappointed to see today that Harebrained Schemes' "Lamplighters League", published by Paradox, has pretty much bombed.

Disappointed because the HBS folks seem cool and had made a good game in Battletech. I'm not surprised about Lamplighters League though, it never looked good, compelling, or like it did anything new or interesting. And to me the name sounds bad, and I feel like a bad name is a bad start for a game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 14, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I was disappointed to see today that Harebrained Schemes' "Lamplighters League", published by Paradox, has pretty much bombed.

Disappointed because the HBS folks seem cool and had made a good game in Battletech. I'm not surprised about Lamplighters League though, it never looked good, compelling, or like it did anything new or interesting. And to me the name sounds bad, and I feel like a bad name is a bad start for a game.

I really liked the Shadowrun games, and I thought Lamplighter looked fun, but it's not a game I would ever pay $50 for. I look forward to testing it when it hits $20 or under.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I don't get how Paradox combines their fame of a publisher who eventually fixes their games with expectations for release sales.

I really liked Shadowrun games. I don't know a lot about Battletech but I like XCOM clones so eventually I bought the complete edition. Still haven't launched it but PDX got my money. I have little doubt eventually PDX would have gotten my money for Lamplight League if it's decent and eventually there's complete edition. Oh well.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is it better or worse than Empire of Sin?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

vanity slug posted:

Is it better or worse than Empire of Sin?

Oh much much better.

I think it runs into the same core problem Battletech (and to a lesser degree the Shadowrun series, but those are propelled by story) has but much sooner - the core tactical gameplay is something that initially looks really interesting, but rapidly runs out of things to show you that actually shake up how you play the game. The consequence is that when you are 4-5 missions in it's already starting to feel a bit samey.

e: I have *checks notes* 403 hours in Battletech. I think it works because missions are short, there is an engaging visceral element to watching mechs shoot and punch each other, and while it does get a bit samey, the core tactical puzzle of where to move and how much to shoot is still fundamentally interesting.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 14, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

I really liked the Shadowrun games, and I thought Lamplighter looked fun, but it's not a game I would ever pay $50 for. I look forward to testing it when it hits $20 or under.

Same. Onto the wishlist you go lamplighters.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

CK3 feels like it's gone from a grand strategy game that wasn't afraid or opposed to locking players out of events or mechanics in order to offer unique experiences specific to different regions, religions, and cultures. This meant I played it a lot to see what it was like to be Muslim ( my first time ) and even eventually 200 hours in after nomads and pagans and tribes oh my I even caved and played a Catholic ruler. It was something new and different each time, so I kept coming back.

Now, unlike CK2, the game feels much more roleplaying driven and appealing to a lot of the younger gamers/roleplayers I hate to call the "streamer crowd" but will for shorthand. They want to play their character, and often view being locked out of some decisions as a negative ( because if you're playing to roleplay a dude, you're dude has less agency ). Which, once they started opening up "people are only semi-hateful against strange foreigners" in start-up was enough for me in CK2. But ultimately it just feels like many tabletop game lines I love, going in a different direction more in line with popular tastes/trends.

Whiiiiich isn't bad, per say, but it means for me CK3 is an impressively streamlined game that isn't really trying to be a sequel to the game I want, while still offering more or less a lot of the surface or skeleton features of the game before it.

I predict it was development crunch and other reasons, but Victoria 2 having jack unique events or decisions for most nations at launch mirrors this design philosophy. You don't want to wave the "that could never happen stick" by cutting off options or making ridiculous feats require ridiculous challenge.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I predict it was development crunch and other reasons, but Victoria 2 having jack unique events or decisions for most nations at launch mirrors this design philosophy. You don't want to wave the "that could never happen stick" by cutting off options or making ridiculous feats require ridiculous challenge.

With the exception of the HoI series Paradox games don't have a meaningful amount of nation specific content when they come out, it's all been added in later patches, V3 isn't unusual in this respect (although it was even more threadbare than I was expecting)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Victoria 3 had plenty of unique things on release, but outside of political landscape the systems didn't make countries feel different enough. Change to local pricing will probably add more diversity to the game than bunch of events.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah didn't they say it actually had the most events of any of their launches? Although I recall a similar statement about Imperator.

I dunno what's rose tinted glasses and what's Paradox putting events in the wrong places but something doesn't line up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's some pr speak man

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I can see the most events being accurate, but the events are universal to every country.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I mean I feel like # of events it the sorta thing that should be easily independently verifiable

not that I care to do so. But I sorta doubt they'd outright lie

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
When the game tends to nudge things towards real-world history, that's where the fun of breaking away from the path happens.

Vic2 was obviously flawed but it actually benefited from having fairly railroaded historical events IMO. As the player, you were always maneuvering around a certain set of likely outcomes like German/Italian unification, Chinese and Ottoman decline, the rise of Japan, etc etc. V3, on the other hand, feels like a game about the Industrial Age, but not like a game about the 19th century. I think that's ultimately why I bounced off it. If it was a little more on rails it's be a better game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guildencrantz posted:

When the game tends to nudge things towards real-world history, that's where the fun of breaking away from the path happens.

Vic2 was obviously flawed but it actually benefited from having fairly railroaded historical events IMO. As the player, you were always maneuvering around a certain set of likely outcomes like German/Italian unification, Chinese and Ottoman decline, the rise of Japan, etc etc. V3, on the other hand, feels like a game about the Industrial Age, but not like a game about the 19th century. I think that's ultimately why I bounced off it. If it was a little more on rails it's be a better game.

Honestly I feel like HoI4 has the best approach to this, where you have a "historical mode" setting that forces the AI nations to attempt to follow the historical path they did in the real world (without being so deterministic as to always have the same winners), and then later patching in nation-specific settings where you can set specific alt-history paths for them to follow or just let them pick totally randomly. It's probably something that works better in the short timescale of WW2 though compared to Victoria or especially EU/CK which cover several centuries of history.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the only thing I think is an actual problem wrt historical events in v3 is it really needs a great war system for a final boss. The rest of it feels less like a design problem and more like they're still working on getting the core mechanics working

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
there's definitely some a decent number of country-specific events in Vicky 3, but you don't know about them unless you play that specific country, and most of them are just penalty events

for example, China gets negative events reflecting opium addictions and stopping it will likely trigger the Opium Wars. and it also has at least one scripted rebellion that triggers if certain conditions are met. which means that while Chinese decline isn't guaranteed, it's certainly likely

personally i prefer the less-railroaded differences, like the significant differences in countries' starting economic and political situations, which matter far more than the start differences in CK and EU tend to. or how interest groups' preferences will vary from country to country, though there's not really enough of that yet

i'm a bit sour right now, though, because I started an Egypt game yesterday without realizing that it springs a rather nasty scripted war on you a few years in, and takes away most of your good provinces if you lose. that's not really the kind of railroads I'm playing Vicky for

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Cool music guy will be doing other stuff now.

https://twitter.com/composerandreas/status/1714287168900972545

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Noooo. Dude is one of the greats. I know he’s not responsible for the entire Stellaris soundtrack, just a lot of it, but it’s maybe my favorite game soundtrack ever.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Sure hope they keep needing him, the soundtrack for HoI4 is amazing

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

End of an era, dude is really one of the unsung greats imo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
From the Lamplighters League thread, Paradox and Harebrained Schemes are parting ways.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...w-opportunities

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Popete posted:

From the Lamplighters League thread, Paradox and Harebrained Schemes are parting ways.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...w-opportunities
Whelp, no Battletech sequel then. Boo.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Whelp, no Battletech sequel then. Boo.

I suspect we might get one sooner after this if HBS joins up with Microsoft. Supposedly the big barrier to PDX greenlighting a new one was MS holding the video game rights.

I'm not coping, i swear.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean we knew from earlier in the week that HBS basically shuttered in June. They might keep going, or Jordan and Mitch might appear under a new banner.

The good outcome is that they make a pitch to Microsoft for office space and ~40 production staff (you probably only need about that if you are a Microsoft subsidiary and can use their corporate support) and the rights to make Battletech 2: Battletech harder. Jordan and Mitch seem like guys who like running their own company though and might just not want the chains that come with bending the knee to Microsoft, particularly where they are probably at the 'do what the gently caress you want' point of their careers.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

That man's music won me the moment I booted up HoI2 and was treated with that game's Overture. Such a perfect tone setter when you are reading the blurbs setting up the historical situation in 1936 and deciding what country you want to play as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHsOasp0LAo

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hell the music is a big part of why I prefer ck2 to ck3. From the moment of starting the game, that soundtrack is absolutely insane. Nothing in CK3 has that level of just sheer presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG5ejbouXBc

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So they literally just finished the earn out period lol.

quote:

STOCKHOLM and SEATTLE - June 5, 2018 - Paradox Interactive, a global publisher and developer of interactive entertainment, today announced it has entered into an agreement to acquire 100% of the shares in Harebrained Holdings Inc, sole owner of Harebrained Schemes, LLC, from Harebrained Bag of Holding Inc. Paradox pays a fixed purchase price of US$7,500,000 at the time of acquisition plus an additional purchase price corresponding to 25% of the acquired business’ earnings before publishing costs over the next 5 years to the extent such earnings exceed the fixed purchase price. The deal is expected to close by Thursday, June 7, 2018.

"Harebrained Schemes have proven themselves as a world-class studio with a very talented team within a genre where Paradox wants to be present," said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. "In addition, we really like the studio, the people who run it, and their games; these are all absolute hard criteria for us in any acquisition. Our recent successful launch of BATTLETECH, our first project together, has been a fantastic collaboration, but the possibilities of what we can do together in the long term now that we’ve joined forces -- that’s what has us truly excited."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alchenar posted:

I mean we knew from earlier in the week that HBS basically shuttered in June. They might keep going, or Jordan and Mitch might appear under a new banner.
I did not know this, I am curious what happened?....

V for Vegas posted:

So they literally just finished the earn out period lol.
Oh. So this means the owners got paid and the staff.... now work for PDX, or got laid off? I dont know how any of this stuff works.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Whoever owned Harebrained Inc. got a huge payday (which hopefully trickles down to the employees but who knows), Paradox probably took a smallish hit financially, the studio still exists as before but it's big IPs are now owned by Paradox so they'll be under the gun to invent something new quickly I would guess.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So what we're saying is, Shadowrun grand strategy game CONFIRMED

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
CK3 Battletech DLC

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

CK3 Battletech DLC

sunset invasion sucked but this would be freaking epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

CK3 Battletech DLC

the monkey's paw version of this is a Star Trek Infinite-type game but for the Battletech