Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SRS Cinema is doing a Blu-ray of Great Yokai War: Guardians, a Takeshi Miike movie feat. Daimajin.

How do they get these licenses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I have an idea as to why they haven't done anything with Varan The Unbelievable. Because it's not a good movie.

I have a DVD copy and yeah, it’s my least favorite of that cycle by a long shot!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Varan was a Cursed Film in a number of respects so it's not surprising that the final result is so drat boring.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

A week after I buy the Spanish Blu-ray for True Lies, Dawn of the Discs reports that a 4k listing for the movie is the Canadian Business to Business website.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ultraviolence123 posted:

A week after I buy the Spanish Blu-ray for True Lies, Dawn of the Discs reports that a 4k listing for the movie is the Canadian Business to Business website.

Thank you for your sacrifice.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
They’ve apparently also listed Aliens, which was mentioned upthread as having a 4K available.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Rarewaves has the UK edition of The Exorcist 4K for a good price:
https://www.rarewaves.com/products/5051892243155-the-exorcist

Only about $30 shipped to the US. Same 4K discs, but the Blu-rays from the Warner "Anthology" box set, so you get all the extras from before.

(FYI, Warner almost never region locks worldwide and UHD is region free 99% of the time anyways)

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
The Abyss 4K is also listed on the Canadian Business to Business site:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1711415240166932749

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I need the confirmation. While Jim is at it give T2 the ol' college try.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i need a T1 4k uhd waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than i need T2 4k uhd.

please do both, james!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

abelwingnut posted:

i need a T1 4k uhd waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than i need T2 4k uhd.

please do both, james!

You'll get a 4k Piranha and you'll like it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I found something and brought it home

It turns on, now I need to get a VHS to see if it works

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That reminds me I need to start looking for a VCR again.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Kingtheninja posted:

You'll get a 4k Piranha and you'll like it.

Piranha II. :eng101:

(You can already get Joe Dante's original Prianha on 4K.)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I bought a big dumb rackmount VCR sometime around 2010 with the thought that I’d digitize movies that were never making it past VHS. Then I found out there were other people who already did that. Then pretty much every movie I had in mind to do that with got a Blu-ray release anyway. I keep the thing around as a reminder about being dumb with money, and maybe sometimes it serves that purpose.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

what I really want is one of those tiny tv's with a vcr in it. So I can set it up on my desk and just have it running while I'm working.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

dorium posted:

what I really want is one of those tiny tv's with a vcr in it. So I can set it up on my desk and just have it running while I'm working.

These seem pretty available and sub-100 bucks. Go for it dude.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I have a VCR on my desk and a tiny TV on top, I use it to digitize and stream tapes to friends, and also to stream my home TV channel. It's nice!

I have a Sylvania set as well in the guest room, but the built in VCR doesn't work as it shuts the set off immediately if a tape is inserted. Tried reaching out to a CRT/VCR repair guy but he's booked out months.

And then I have a VCR hooked into the home TV network but I mostly use it as an extra RF modulator that outputs on channel 4, but that's an option.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

home TV channel

is this what I dream of, where there's just always something you'd enjoy playing? Just cue up 3 weeks of shows and movies and tune in whenever you'd care to?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Big Mac posted:

is this what I dream of, where there's just always something you'd enjoy playing? Just cue up 3 weeks of shows and movies and tune in whenever you'd care to?

Yup! I'm eventually going to write a big ol' effortpost about it (a lot of people have asked about it lol) but I basically have five different Pis running and attached to different hard drives, using LibreElec and PseudoTV to just serve up whatever, with ads and music videos between it all. I have two RF modulators and the VCR chained together and coax going throughout the house so it can be watched in any room on any of our TVs.

https://twitter.com/HardLuckErin/status/1711404640166662564?t=51m0cNvfL86KLylCqfAcfw&s=19

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

oh my god

that is so loving cool

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Having that around would be detrimental to me ever engaging with anything else

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I have a VCR on my desk and a tiny TV on top, I use it to digitize and stream tapes to friends, and also to stream my home TV channel. It's nice!

I have a Sylvania set as well in the guest room, but the built in VCR doesn't work as it shuts the set off immediately if a tape is inserted. Tried reaching out to a CRT/VCR repair guy but he's booked out months.

And then I have a VCR hooked into the home TV network but I mostly use it as an extra RF modulator that outputs on channel 4, but that's an option.

VCR repair guys still exist? Holy poo poo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Sirotan posted:

VCR repair guys still exist? Holy poo poo

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Yup! I'm eventually going to write a big ol' effortpost about it (a lot of people have asked about it lol) but I basically have five different Pis running and attached to different hard drives, using LibreElec and PseudoTV to just serve up whatever, with ads and music videos between it all. I have two RF modulators and the VCR chained together and coax going throughout the house so it can be watched in any room on any of our TVs.

https://twitter.com/HardLuckErin/status/1711404640166662564?t=51m0cNvfL86KLylCqfAcfw&s=19

I would love to hear more about this. I’m so afraid to tinker too much with my Plex server but I’d love to have a PseudoTV setup going.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ok, how do you guys keep track of what films you own? i'm approaching about 500 films now and the best i can do is search my email to see if i bought whatever or not. is there a site that does all this in nice, efficient way? happy to enter them all in as i don't expect them to somehow magically read my email and know.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Letterboxd

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yup, I have a Letterboxd list for my tapes and a list for my discs.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Collectorz, but I have my comic and music collection in there too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

abelwingnut posted:

ok, how do you guys keep track of what films you own? i'm approaching about 500 films now and the best i can do is search my email to see if i bought whatever or not. is there a site that does all this in nice, efficient way? happy to enter them all in as i don't expect them to somehow magically read my email and know.

If you want to track which specific release you have, blu-ray.com can do that. I haven’t used it in a while but last I knew they had an app too and you can scan UPCs to add them to your collection

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I use the Blu-Ray.com MyMovies app. It's pretty okay. It also logs DVDs, which is helpful. Only real issue is, I keep getting PMs from randoms on the site panhandling for digital codes for movies I buy.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

hmm, letterboxd looks like it's close to what i'm after. it has a spot for what you've watched and what you want to watch, but it doesn't seem to have anything for what you own. am i missing it?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

abelwingnut posted:

hmm, letterboxd looks like it's close to what i'm after. it has a spot for what you've watched and what you want to watch, but it doesn't seem to have anything for what you own. am i missing it?

People usually just make a list and then add to that list or you can denote them with a tag.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm still mostly able to remember what I have, though this weeks amazon sale has me wondering if I have the first blade runner on 4k or not.

Not much in the sale, I got an anime season that hasn't been this cheap yet but everything else looks like the usual stuff.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
MyMovies works great for me. Scanning UPCs makes adding movies a breeze, and I'd procrastinate it otherwise.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yeah the Blu-Ray dot com app works well for me, being able to scan the barcodes saved me a load of time when I first installed the app, though you have to use the desktop version of the website if you want to get any more information on a release, and the un-mutable ads they have on their homepage now are pretty annoying.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I've this obnoxious prosumer JVC S-VHS deck that my sister got me for Christmas in 1999, and it still plays and works just like it did day one. It's insane that after 24 years of heavy use it still works like a champ. The remote is totally worn out though.

Last year (or maybe 2021) is froze up, like, I had to unplug it, which was weird, I've never had a VCR's computer lock up, but that was the only hiccough.

The last few years, I've been using it to digitise my 92-2005 SNL and late night collection.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I got an old Sony DVD-r recorder which can hook up to a VCR, cute little machine marketed for home movie preservation but it dupes any old tape without copy protection. records in real time, I burned all my old kung fu tapes to dvd-r and then bundled those onto some bd-rs because I have a problem. Somehow I want to save space but still need physical media :shrug:

Here's disc art I made for one of my comps:

Can't tweak the video quality of the rip like I know lots of people like to do but I don't care!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Oh that's a super cool little device! I might have to invest. How do you get the disc art onto your discs? I'm never totally satisfied with my attempts to print onto label paper because it's always off-center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh that's a super cool little device! I might have to invest. How do you get the disc art onto your discs? I'm never totally satisfied with my attempts to print onto label paper because it's always off-center.

There used to be paper specifically for this I did it with burned Napster CDs.