Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dokapon Findom posted:

I drove 400+ miles through farmland this weekend and exactly two bugs splattered on my windshield. I remember 25 years ago my grandpa making the same drive and he had a mesh guard on the front of his truck that'd have so many bugs stuck to it he'd go rinse it out in the creek.

Didn't you know that modern cars developed karate kid parrying technology that harmlessly shuffles insects to the side as you drive because aerodynamics?

No don't ask me for proof and do not post the scientific studies that show the exact opposite is happening. Cars are as smooth as sharks now. Stop claiming there is massive biodiversity loss its just smooth cars goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I keep trying to cast Meteor but its not working

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
On a holiday, so finally had some time to read some light-hearted fiction.

I know I'm late with this but:

Man, is Ministry of the future the fastest outdated utopian sf novel ever ?
That premise that some calamity killing some 20 million vulnerable people could be a catalyst for meaningful change. Published in 2020, lmao !

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

same

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

two-time fee posted:

On a holiday, so finally had some time to read some light-hearted fiction.

I know I'm late with this but:

Man, is Ministry of the future the fastest outdated utopian sf novel ever ?
That premise that some calamity killing some 20 million vulnerable people could be a catalyst for meaningful change. Published in 2020, lmao !

I will never tire of the nuclear powered pumps to stop the glaciers from sliding into the sea… forever

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dokapon Findom posted:

I drove 400+ miles through farmland this weekend and exactly two bugs splattered on my windshield. I remember 25 years ago my grandpa making the same drive and he had a mesh guard on the front of his truck that'd have so many bugs stuck to it he'd go rinse it out in the creek.

I miss the fireflies. They seemed much fewer in number this year, and I didn't see my first one until quite late (like the end of June or so).

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

tuyop posted:

I will never tire of the nuclear powered pumps to stop the glaciers from sliding into the sea… forever

By the end of it they are not only on track to solve all the world's hurts in the space of a generation, the girl gets the blimp captain as a treat.

"He was perhaps a little nervous. Was he a dry plain himself, she wondered, a space waiting to be flooded? Was she the Atlantic, he the Mediterranean? And she? Was she rising? Would she pour over into him and fill him up?"

I mean there's some useful positive messages in this novel, but the nuclearly pumped up cringe doesn't stay conveniently sequestered on the ice caps.

two-time fee has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Oct 10, 2023

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Nichael posted:

I miss the fireflies. They seemed much fewer in number this year, and I didn't see my first one until quite late (like the end of June or so).

I haven't seen fireflies since growing up in New Jersey

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dokapon Findom posted:

too bad your grandpa killed all those bugs back then we could use them now

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

tuyop posted:

i still cant get over THE KEY to everything being some bullshit blockchain climate coin

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Grandpa commiting mass murder against bugs:

*recalls fondly*

"Ah, the good ole days"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Dokapon Findom posted:

Bugs are gross so climate change is good now

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Scarabrae posted:

I keep trying to cast Meteor but its not working

I driveled over it, this was a good joke,thanks :)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paradoxish posted:

It's more likely that we're going to absolutely annihilate "normal" weather patterns and be left with a choice between two wildly unstable and unpredictable climate regimes and no one will be able to settle on "just stop doing it" as the right answer until we've killed a shitload of people.

Not even until, we'll just keep burning, and with gusto, because the dead cannot burn fuels and now we have surplus, and think of the low prices! Jevon's Paradox comes for us all.

The only way the world is going to stop burning FF is if the fuel stops coming (and it don't stop coming) due to supply chain disruption/destruction, and if there just aren't as many humans around to burn it. It won't stop, it will have to be stopped.

There is no scenario where people see the destruction and then have a come to Jesus moment and decide to no really let's stop burning and optimize around not burning. They're either destroyed by climate change or "that was over there and we'll be fine and my use case is special"

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Dokapon Findom posted:

1200 miles total last week and i had more birdshit hit the windshield than bugs

kater
Nov 16, 2010

two-time fee posted:

By the end of it they are not only on track to solve all the world's hurts in the space of a generation, the girl gets the blimp captain as a treat.

"He was perhaps a little nervous. Was he a dry plain himself, she wondered, a space waiting to be flooded? Was she the Atlantic, he the Mediterranean? And she? Was she rising? Would she pour over into him and fill him up?"

I mean there's some useful positive messages in this novel, but the nuclearly pumped up cringe doesn't stay conveniently sequestered on the ice caps.

he walked into the bar looking scraggly like an updated Louisiana coastline. the salt in his hair traveling far upriver. but she could feel the pipes pumping fresh into the intake valves. it would not be a cold October night.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Climate change is coming for Number.

Climate crisis costing $16m an hour in extreme weather damage, study estimates
Analysis shows at least $2.8tn in damage from 2000 to 2019 through worsened storms, floods and heatwaves
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/09/climate-crisis-cost-extreme-weather-damage-study

quote:

It found average costs of $140bn (£115bn) a year from 2000 to 2019, although the figure varies significantly from year to year. The latest data shows $280bn in costs in 2022. The researchers said lack of data, particularly in low-income countries, meant the figures were likely to be seriously underestimated. Additional climate costs, such as from crop yield declines and sea level rise, were also not included.

This just got personal *number cricks neck*

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023
thank yall for reaffirming my disposition against reading speculative fiction written by men.

nah jk. The Expanse series was unbelievably good. But Kim Stanley Robinson seems like it's not worth my time and this back and forth confirmed it.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
speaking of 'number' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GI0zANA3S4#t=9m20s

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1711839307407794462

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Microplastics posted:

Analysis shows at least $2.8tn in damage from 2000 to 2019 through worsened storms, floods and heatwaves
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/09/climate-crisis-cost-extreme-weather-damage-study

Oh poo poo! The Economy!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

KSR's Mars trilogy was pretty good for the first half, but you know what it ended with weird multi-centenarian orgies and the world being saved by cool hip surfer capitalists who do capitalism right this time so thinking about it for more than a minute it's maybe not great.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I liked KSR’s Aurora. it was a reasonable look at the idiocy of colony ships. but yeah he’s a bit lib and not the best writer

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

two-time fee posted:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

two-time fee posted:

ok, I support climate change now

pretty sure this lady gonna peg him directly through his Strait of Gibraltar

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Oct 11, 2023

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

kater posted:

he walked into the bar looking scraggly like an updated Louisiana coastline. the salt in his hair traveling far upriver. but she could feel the pipes pumping fresh into the intake valves. it would not be a cold October night.

:five:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Don't fry for me Argentina :dogstare:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Microplastics posted:

Ah, but this is not relevant to Number because they are externalities.

Corps losing poo poo: Insurance and government bailout if it gets bad enough.
Local government losing poo poo: Lol not a problem for the rich we'll just go somewhere else and we never paid taxes here at all anyway
Normal people losing poo poo: Lol lmao, we're raising the price again.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

having to constantly rebuild things is good for business!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

having to constantly rebuild things is good for business!

Constantly signing contracts and getting incentives to rebuild and then just never doing anything while getting paid is even better!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MightyBigMinus posted:

these university science blog posts are almost always nonsense but hey here's one that says bpa (which while technically not micropolastic i think its reasonable to conflate them conversationally) is probably a big factor in the rise of adhd and autism in the last few decades

https://today.rowan.edu/news/2023/09/researchers-find-bpa-links-to-autism-adhd.html

would be kinda lol if some incredibly weird evolutionary feedback loop led to us solving climate change the right way trains!
To add a few things, when plastic says "BPA-FREE!" that doesn't mean jack poo poo. it means they switched to BPS which may even be worse. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200218182202.htm. pretty much every single plastic has phthlates like BPS or BPA or any number of permutations.

quote:

In the study, Rosenfeld and her colleagues focused on examining the effects of BPS on a mouse's placenta. She said the placenta serves as a historical record of what an unborn child faces while in the womb; the placenta also can transfer whatever the mother might be exposed to in her blood, such as harmful chemicals, into the developing child.

"Synthetic chemicals like BPS can penetrate through the maternal placenta, so whatever is circulating in the mother's blood can easily be transferred to the developing child,
" said Rosenfeld, a professor of biomedical sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine, investigator in the Bond Life Sciences Center, and research faculty member for the Thompson Center for Autism and Neurobehavioral Disorders at MU. "This mouse model is the best model we have now to simulate the possible effects of BPS during human pregnancy, because the placenta has a similar structure in both mice and humans."

Rosenfeld adds that the placenta serves as a primary source of serotonin for fetal brain development in both mice and humans. Serotonin, while commonly associated with the feeling of happiness, is a natural chemical that can impact a person's functions, including their emotions and physical activities such as sleeping, eating and digesting food.

"The placenta responds to both natural chemicals as well as synthetic chemicals that the body misinterprets as natural chemicals, but the body doesn't have the ability to mitigate the detrimental effects of such industrial-made chemicals," Rosenfeld said. "More importantly, these chemicals have the ability to lower the placenta's serotonin production. Lower levels of serotonin can compromise fetal brain development because during this critical time in development the brain relies on the placenta to produce serotonin. Thus, developmental exposure to BPA or even its substitute, BPS, can lead to longstanding health consequences."

To also add, people have done research with exposure on rats and the effects are profoundly extremely bad, and they build up generationally too. while humans aren't rats per se, there's a lot of similarities and you can study generation-to-generation effects. you would have to be bonafide derangely brain damaged to pretend like humans are actually just immune to all pollution. introducing endocrine disruptors to developing fetus (or even post-utero development) is extraordinarily bad and damaging for a number of mental and physical abilities

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Yeah but if we made sure the poo poo we do at an industrial level was safe before we did it that would slow the pace of innovation and make the number sad! You wouldn't want the number to be sad, would you?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

quiggy posted:

Yeah but if we made sure the poo poo we do at an industrial level was safe before we did it that would slow the pace of innovation and make the number sad! You wouldn't want the number to be sad, would you?

*Camera closeup on my face*

"gently caress Number"

*Shocked crowds, fainting women, crying Lady Liberty*

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

there is nothing I want more than sad number

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

making number sad is malthusianism

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Microplastics posted:

sounds like climate change has causes 2.8 trillion in SALES for number. praise be to number and climate change. number goes up!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TehSaurus posted:

there is nothing I want more than sad number

only sad number can save the world

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
"The vast majority of the world’s plants that have not even been named yet are probably threatened with extinction, scientists have calculated.

An international team from 30 countries found that 77% of the world’s estimated 100,000 undescribed species were predicted to be at risk of extinction."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

only sad number can save the world

you make a compelling argument :thunk: