Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Can Twitter/X embeds just be banned ITT? The amount of people taking non-legitimate sources as truth is ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Foreign journalist(s) on the ground who I'm not immediately aware of unreliability corroborating the baby massacre reports some, Margot Haddad

embedded picture is of (adult size?) body bags but I can't guarantee there aren't bad pictures floating around later in the twitter threads or what have you

E: translation of tweet

google translation of the tweet```That's it, the information is out. It's so macabre that no one wanted to reveal it until they had 100% confirmation.

🔺 Infants and children under 2 years old were beheaded by Hamas in the Kibbutz of Kfar Aza. It is a horror, a massacre.

For those asking for the source. They are multiple: Israeli army, internal intelligence service and atrocious images which reached me and which I was able to cross-check. But the best source remains this: courageous journalists from the foreign press who were able to see / agreed to see with their own eyes the bodies in Kfar Aza.```

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 10, 2023

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Take this for what you will, but there's confirmation of "women" being raped, apparently from an Israeli official according to the headline, but the video makes it seem like it was Netanyahu on his call with Biden. This segment is claiming it to be the first official statement containing the allegations.

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1711870847068090513
plain youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvDXxL-PdF4

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Marenghi posted:

I thought it was also a war crime to show off dead soldiers on film as you brag about killing them.
Or is that only a war crime when Russia does it in Ukraine?

Not entirely sure that videos of dead combatants on their own constitute a war crime (unlike videos of interrogations of PoWs), but I may be mistaken. It is a war crime to mistreat the dead, though, and depending on what the soldier is saying, and what the video shows that I might be missing, it can be an evidence of a war crime.

The original statement, however, was that an execution took place.

E: \/\/\/ That's awful. I hope protests and counter-protests don't devolve into violence.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 10, 2023

B B
Dec 1, 2005

The foil to that protest from Sydney the other night has occurred in NYC:

https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1711865833121521939

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I feel like if within mere sentences in the same post you pivot from "these plausible inferences are not fully substantiated at this time" to "it looks like IDF soldiers are executing captives" you might want to either recalibrate your evidentiary standards or explain further.

e: tbc this is me speaking as a poster not a mod on this

and yes, best case scenario exhibiting the bodies of the dudes you killed in combat is frowned upon

The end of the video appears to be video from a drone of the men being shot while laying on their stomachs. It's not clear from the distance. I'm working off machine translation but it seems to be just a statement that they were terrorists in the costal area who were killed and any other terrorists in Israel will be dealt with the same.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Just realised someone I know is still missing from that rave/music festival. Worked with his mother in a Kibbutz ten years ago, he was the blondest kid there. Now I scan Haaretz for articles and immediately recognise her name, because it is so distinctly italian. I think her parents are italian jews that escaped to Argentina during the war. Anyway she wrote a heart-wrenching op-ed about searching for her son. When the war started, I thought that Kibbutz is too far south, near Eilat, for anything to happen there. Sad poo poo. Anyway I just read that and felt sad.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

For those asking for the source. They are multiple: Israeli army, internal intelligence service and atrocious images which reached me and which I was able to cross-check. But the best source remains this: courageous journalists from the foreign press who were able to see / agreed to see with their own eyes the bodies in Kfar Aza.```

I don't understand how this is corroboration, it sounds like its still the same source as the i24 report,

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-takes-foreign-journalists-to-see-massacre-site-in-kfar-aza/

She even uses the same photograph.

quote:

The IDF took dozens of foreign journalists on Tuesday to see for themselves the death and destruction wrought by Hamas terrorists this week.

I can't even find an official IDF confirmation for the 40 beheaded babies, but maybe that's just because its not in English.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/GhassanAbuSitt1/status/1711813704587616683?s=19

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Foreign journalist(s) on the ground who I'm not immediately aware of unreliability corroborating the baby massacre reports some, Margot Haddad

embedded picture is of (adult size?) body bags but I can't guarantee there aren't bad pictures floating around later in the twitter threads or what have you

E: translation of tweet

google translation of the tweet```That's it, the information is out. It's so macabre that no one wanted to reveal it until they had 100% confirmation.

🔺 Infants and children under 2 years old were beheaded by Hamas in the Kibbutz of Kfar Aza. It is a horror, a massacre.

The strongest evidence against the existence of 40 beheaded babies is the lack of any official confirmation. An event of that magnitude and horror would be immediately pushed out to all friendly media because of how powerfully it would rally support. If there are indeed 40 not just dead but also beheaded small children, in an area that has been secured by Israeli forces, the overwhelming horror would not be something that would be slow walked or carefully investigated before reports were released through formal channels. It doesn’t make a lick of sense

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty gross how with Israel doing a genocidal bombing campaign people are still focusing on Hamas. Israel is getting a green light from all its partners to slaughter everyone in their concentration camp, how is that not the topic?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hamas certainly killed a bunch of children, and beheaded some victims, but it doesn't seem like there's any source specifically confirming an intersection of the two.

e: gotta say though correcting the record about the exact method used to kill babies does not seem like it will win many people over

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 11, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Adenoid Dan posted:

It's pretty gross how with Israel doing a genocidal bombing campaign people are still focusing on Hamas. Israel is getting a green light from all its partners to slaughter everyone in their concentration camp, how is that not the topic?

A large part of the international community considers reprisals by Israel to be justified, and the cruelty of their reprisals is rarely detailed in the popular media.

As for the thread, I can't comment on.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Adenoid Dan posted:

you're more than welcome to post news about that

two of the best posts in the last several days were on the Gaza water situation and the technical details of why it's Very Bad

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Adenoid Dan posted:

Are we reading different threads? There’s lots of posting about both bombing campaigns in the past couple days

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Edit: I'm a dumbass.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 5, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I do not think that attempting to downplay, deny or quibble over the details of Hamas' atrocities is going to be an effective strategy. Nobody who read the baby beheading story is going to change their mind if they're told that Hamas actually prefers to shoot babies. Nobody is going to be convinced that Shani Louk was paraded around unconscious in her underwear for perfectly innocent reasons. And no matter how bad things have been in Gaza nobody is going to forgive the perpetrators of these horrible crimes.

If you want to have any rhetorical impact whatsoever, you should acknowledge that Hamas have committed irredeemable crimes, but that the vast majority of Gazans or Palestinians were not involved. No matter how awful what Hamas did was it does not justify the wholesale slaughter of everyone in Gaza. Focus on the innocent people who are suffering entirely unfairly, not the guilty.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think you're reading deep into what is a syntax problem. 40 babies died, they were not all beheaded.

I also think this entire argument is a quibble.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I do not think that attempting to downplay, deny or quibble over the details of Hamas' atrocities is going to be an effective strategy. Nobody who read the baby beheading story is going to change their mind if they're told that Hamas actually prefers to shoot babies. Nobody is going to be convinced that Shani Louk was paraded around unconscious in her underwear for perfectly innocent reasons. And no matter how bad things have been in Gaza nobody is going to forgive the perpetrators of these horrible crimes.

If you want to have any rhetorical impact whatsoever, you should acknowledge that Hamas have committed irredeemable crimes, but that the vast majority of Gazans or Palestinians were not involved. No matter how awful what Hamas did was it does not justify the wholesale slaughter of everyone in Gaza. Focus on the innocent people who are suffering entirely unfairly, not the guilty.

The president of the United States just told the country that the reason why an American aircraft carrier was en route to go blow the people of Gaza to pieces was because Hamas was beheading kids, I think its extremely relevant to discuss if the story is sensationalized and uncorroborated.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The president of the United States just told the country that the reason why an American aircraft carrier was en route to go blow the people of Gaza to pieces was because Hamas was beheading kids, I think its extremely relevant to discuss if the story is sensationalized and uncorroborated.

TBH, if this is true (I hadn’t had a chance to listen to his speech), I’d easily believe Biden over goons

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I don't think the US carrier group is going to bomb Gaza. If the navy does anything other than sail around it'd probably be medevac poo poo.

I could be wrong but that seems like it would be very stupid to do, for no gain whatever for the US.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/they-are-all-gone-over-dozen-families-wiped-out-israeli-bombardment-gaza

Gaza's ministry of health has announced that 13 entire families have been killed. Multiple generations in the same apartment or home is not uncommon.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Kalit posted:

TBH, if this is true (I hadn’t had a chance to listen to his speech), I’d easily believe Biden over goons

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein%27s_alleged_shredder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_testimony

At some point, once multiple examples of the barbarism of the arabic horde fall short of what would be considered technically true, wouldn't the null hypothesis be that the West is lying? And I'm not sure of any goon statements that have been used to justify foreign wars, making them the far more reliable source.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Everything I've seen is that the carrier group is to "deter regional power intervention", not to actually attack Gaza. Not, you know, great, but different from the thing you just said.

E: carrier groups are actually more useful than you might think for immediate humanitarian intervention, they have a lot of warm bodies / medical personnel / generally at least one pretty big nuclear reactor, but I kinda doubt this one is going to be used to power Gaza desalination

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 11, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hamas posted many of the videos that are being used as evidence on social media. If "the west" is lying then Hamas would have to be collaborating with them.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Kalit posted:

It isn't true. Biden mentioned "stomach-turning reports of ... babies being killed." He didn't say they were beheaded, nor did he state that the carrier group was going to attack Gaza.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
*sighs* This is such a fuckfest. The exact details of everything that has happened so far might be a bit hazy, but what is absolutely clear is that Hamas decided to do atrocities in their attack. Because of that, extremists in Israel will feel entirely justified in going hard on Gaza in response. The end result is that lots of innocent people will die, and the only people who could be considered "winners" are those who enjoy the violence.

As for the US carrier group, my understanding is that they are there to try to dissuade Hezbollah from joining in.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

celadon posted:

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein%27s_alleged_shredder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_testimony

At some point, once multiple examples of the barbarism of the arabic horde fall short of what would be considered technically true, wouldn't the null hypothesis be that the West is lying? And I'm not sure of any goon statements that have been used to justify foreign wars, making them the far more reliable source.

Notice how I didn’t say “I trust Biden unconditionally”? And I even preempted it by saying “if this is true”. Which, based on tagesschau’s link, seems to be not true.

So, until proven otherwise, I’m unsurprised to see another embellishment/misquote/lie by a goon

tagesschau posted:

It isn't true. Biden mentioned "stomach-turning reports of ... babies being killed." He didn't say they were beheaded, nor did he state that the carrier group was going to attack Gaza.

Thank you for providing the context

Kalit fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 11, 2023

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Everything I've seen is that the carrier group is to "deter regional power intervention", not to actually attack Gaza. Not, you know, great, but different from the thing you just said.

I was being flippant, the point being that the specific and gory details of Hamas' attack are the basis for manufacturing consent for the horrific reprisal that is currently ongoing. While it may not matter from a broader moral or ethical perspective exactly how children died. In the context of how critical the media is to how this conflict will be perceived and who will benefit as a result I think its perfectly fair to discuss when something that is getting serious traction is uncorroborated and sensationalized.

Also, "deter regional power intervention" will mean that either, American forces take action to stop regional actors, killing people, or the very presence allows Israel to enact whatever horrific revenge they have in mind for the people of Gaza without any repercussions. Either way its pretty terrible, and criticizing a sensationalist media environment that helps make that acceptable and even desirable to the American public is reasonable.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 11, 2023

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yureina posted:

Because of that, extremists in Israel will feel entirely justified in going hard on Gaza in response.

This is the base state of being for the entire Israeli right. There is no peaceful set of actions that the Palestinians could take that would make Israel stop imprisoning and slowly genociding them, and Israel will always take any excuse to upgrade their passive genocide into active.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
I think the message Hamas wanted to send was that the border regions around Gaza are not Israel, and that Israel cannot protect settlers who move into those regions. With that objective, the more cruel and savage the attack, the more the point is made. It's the only ideological framework I can think of that would lead one to incorporate these atrocities into their raid at such a wide scale. That or there wasn't really a unifying military goal, and this was purely about getting revenge. In any case, it's clear the cruelty was the point.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

fool of sound posted:

This is the base state of being for the entire Israeli right. There is no peaceful set of actions that the Palestinians could take that would make Israel stop imprisoning and slowly genociding them, and Israel will always take any excuse to upgrade their passive genocide into active.

And, as I had replied to your prior claim of "no options available to them except terrorist attacks", trying to attack Israel is still not a more viable option when compared to others you had listed. It will do nothing to help out Palestinian rights.

Hell, considering most other countries' alliances, it will probably worsen Palestinian rights and be used as an excuse to accelerate Israel's genocide. I just hope that the leadership of other countries, including mine of the US, will realize that Hamas does not speak for the majority of Palestinians.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 11, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Hong XiuQuan posted:

The video showed a woman with blood on her light trousers who much more likely was sitting in a pool of blood. Shani Louk was not naked. She'd been at a rave and is alive in intensive care.

It could well be that there was rape. But 'I've seen a video with blood on trousers' is not proof that people have been raped.

this is the sort of posting I came to this thread for

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

wow 1.1 million children.. that's a lot of children in need of dire aid thanks to israel BEFORE these attacks according to unicef! https://www.unicef.org/press-releas...ntering%20Gaza.

i dont want to say something over the top like israel is unfathomably cruel to children, but you have to admit it IS hard to fathom

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 11, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Mia Wasikowska posted:

wow 1.1 million children.. that's a lot of children israel are messing up according to unicef! https://www.unicef.org/press-releas...ntering%20Gaza.

Israel doesn't care and neither do any of the countries that back it. They see them as vermin to be killed.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

If you’re interested in whether history rhymes, repeats or parodies itself, it was literally on this day in 1990 that the daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador gave the infamous incubators testimony. A story that was initially corroborated by Amnesty International, before it all fell apart. 33 years ago today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_testimony?wprov=sfti1

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Kalit posted:

Hell, considering most country's alliances, it will probably worsen Palestinian rights and be used as an excuse to accelerate Israel's genocide.

Israel's genocide is going to succeed, there should be no doubt about that. They're implementing a full scale blockade on two million people, theres no way Gaza can support its population internally, nor is there any indication that other entities will step up to the plate and provide sufficient aid. It is also unclear under what conditions an entity like the United States would step in and break Israel's blockade. Israel is going to do just fine in its objectives, Gaza will be cleared out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

acidx posted:

I think the message Hamas wanted to send was that the border regions around Gaza are not Israel, and that Israel cannot protect settlers who move into those regions. With that objective, the more cruel and savage the attack, the more the point is made. It's the only ideological framework I can think of that would lead one to incorporate these atrocities into their raid at such a wide scale. That or there wasn't really a unifying military goal, and this was purely about getting revenge. In any case, it's clear the cruelty was the point.

I've been hesitating with this take because it's ultimately The Vibes rather than a thorough census, but the media output of Hamas leadership has been afaict... unclear. Probably doesn't help that we're solidly in fog of war and I don't speak or read Arabic. It's genuinely hard for me to tell how many of the war crimes were planned at what level, vs a total failure or unwillingness to keep the grunts in line. That last bit isn't a very good best case scenario! Israel or another colonial power setting their troops loose to Do Whatever wouldn't exactly be great either.

such as, for example, what may be happening with IDF artillery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

celadon posted:

Israel's genocide is going to succeed, there should be no doubt about that. They're implementing a full scale blockade on two million people, theres no way Gaza can support its population internally, nor is there any indication that other entities will step up to the plate and provide sufficient aid. It is also unclear under what conditions an entity like the United States would step in and break Israel's blockade. Israel is going to do just fine in its objectives, Gaza will be cleared out.

Egypt made some efforts to provide relief but Israel bombed them so they turned around.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/is...rtPvURrsfGZuMVM

I'm not sure its a matter of a lack of willingness to provide aid, and just the fact that Israel is taking siege very seriously.