Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Glottis posted:

Totally Killer was fun. Very low-violence slasher (relatively speaking) that does its best to help you not overanalyze the plot with some solid jokes. I guess it's a very minor spoiler because it's everywhere, but watch if you like goofy time travel plots.

the brownie bit really cracked me up because I realized the "weed was way shittier in the 80s" element immediately and watching the main character figure that out amused me

Yeah that part was great. Totally swerved from the tropes of oh no, the hero ate a ton of pot brownies now she's going to hallucinate! It's definitely funny if you grew up in the 80s and 90s, I didn't even smoke pot but I had enough friends that did that I remember plastic baggies filled with sticks and dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Glottis posted:

Totally Killer was fun. Very low-violence slasher (relatively speaking) that does its best to help you not overanalyze the plot with some solid jokes. I guess it's a very minor spoiler because it's everywhere, but watch if you like goofy time travel plots.

the brownie bit really cracked me up because I realized the "weed was way shittier in the 80s" element immediately and watching the main character figure that out amused me

It's a fun watch and the star is literally a clone of a young Lindsay Lohan with pretty much the same likability and charisma.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

mcmagic posted:

It's a fun watch and the star is literally a clone of a young Lindsay Lohan with pretty much the same likability and charisma.

I don't know that I've ever heard Kiernan Shipka compared to Lindsay Lohan, but I think I can see it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Glottis posted:

Yeah, I had more fun with it than I expected. I appreciated that it didn't go super heavy on 80s nostalgia bait and actually came up with some solid jokes based on the premise. The "nobody gives a poo poo about safety in the 80s" running joke kept getting chuckles out of me. And I also liked how they handled the "time-travelling hero has to deal with significantly changed 'present' after returning" thing even if it's basically just a credits joke.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
No One Will Save You was a pretty cool little sci fi flick. There's maybe two lines of dialogue in the entire movie and it had an interesting ending.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I haven't been doing the one horror movie a day thing but I've still seen a LOT of horror movies in the last week lol

People call The Exorcist a perfect film and I think they're right but it's just not for me. Maybe I'm not Catholic enough? The Exorcist II: The Heretic is worse than it's bad reputation would suggest. It's kind of like the Star Wars holiday special where you think it'll be funny bad and then its just boring bad and there you are, stuck there watching it. On the flipside, The Exorcist III isn't bad at all, very reminiscent of the kind of moody nihilism that made the first season of True Detective good (also it's about a detective investigating strange ritual killings).

Totally Killer is fine but it pales in comparison to Detention, which was kind of about the same thing but lacked any restraint in a way only Joseph Khan could. Sadly Detention is never streaming anywhere so you'll have to take my word for it.

I also finally saw The Ring after missing the hype twenty years ago and it's pretty impressive what they got away with on a PG13 rating. I liked the twist that no, some children are just evil, no moral, the end!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Detention is amazing and I sometimes think I dreamt it

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
https://youtu.be/uq1PhGQtFoM?si=EZtMLjPSFTsE9GcO

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah honestly Exorcist III is my favorite Exorcist. George C Scott just having an emotional breakdown every ten minutes.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Totally Killer was good, but never reached great to me, especially coming off re-watches Happy Death Day/2U, which are both really funny and demonstrate a better flow imo. But then we watched Haunted Mansion 2023 and oh boy, made me appreciate TK that much more.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wolfsheim posted:

I haven't been doing the one horror movie a day thing but I've still seen a LOT of horror movies in the last week lol

People call The Exorcist a perfect film and I think they're right but it's just not for me. Maybe I'm not Catholic enough? The Exorcist II: The Heretic is worse than it's bad reputation would suggest. It's kind of like the Star Wars holiday special where you think it'll be funny bad and then its just boring bad and there you are, stuck there watching it. On the flipside, The Exorcist III isn't bad at all, very reminiscent of the kind of moody nihilism that made the first season of True Detective good (also it's about a detective investigating strange ritual killings).

Totally Killer is fine but it pales in comparison to Detention, which was kind of about the same thing but lacked any restraint in a way only Joseph Khan could. Sadly Detention is never streaming anywhere so you'll have to take my word for it.

I also finally saw The Ring after missing the hype twenty years ago and it's pretty impressive what they got away with on a PG13 rating. I liked the twist that no, some children are just evil, no moral, the end!

Ok it has been a long time but I thought it was the girl wanting ppl to show the tape to more ppl so they would know her story

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

thatfuturekid posted:

Totally Killer was good, but never reached great to me, especially coming off re-watches Happy Death Day/2U, which are both really funny and demonstrate a better flow imo. But then we watched Haunted Mansion 2023 and oh boy, made me appreciate TK that much more.

I'm watching Happy Death Day for the first time due to this post. It's a weird movie. With the exception of like 2 or 3 characters everyone is absolutely awful. Especially the main character. I can only assume I'm supposed to be cheering for the killer here.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok it has been a long time but I thought it was the girl wanting ppl to show the tape to more ppl so they would know her story

Yea that's what I remember too. Still pretty evil though.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Totally Killer was pretty good. I enjoyed the way it subverted my expectations w/r/t 80s nostalgia bait by focusing on the dumb bad stuff (second hand smoke, drunk driving, the FBI shirt, bad weed, bullying, etc)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watch Purgatory House on Tubi as soon as you loving can
You're welcome

wiki posted:

Purgatory House is an independent film written by 14-year-old Celeste Davis and directed by Cindy Baer, who were paired in the Big Sisters of America program when Davis was 11 years old.[1] It deals with the topics of teen suicide and drug addiction from a teen's perspective. Shot in Los Angeles in the summer of 2001,[2] this movie marked the beginning of the Democratization of Film
???? Lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Democratization Of Film

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy poo poo they pulled Tom Hanks’ brother for the cast

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah he plays Satan lol. Didn't know Jim Hanks existed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Watch Purgatory House on Tubi as soon as you loving can
You're welcome

???? Lol

Will do.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

mcmagic posted:

I'm sure plenty of Gen Z see her and think "that's Sabrina!" but she'll always be Sally Draper to me. She's actually a great actress and I mostly watched it because I knew she'd be good. If you listened to the commentary tracks of Mad Men it wasn't uncommon for an actor to talk about how they were somewhat taken aback by how competent she was, even then.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The latest mission possible is not as dumb as three, but it's close

Nothing is as dumb as 2

Please bring back Brad Bird

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 11, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He hasnt made a good movie since MI4 so no thanks.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

He hasnt made a good movie since MI4 so no thanks.

I think I’m the only person on the planet that loved Tomorrowland

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yep

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Upsidads posted:

The latest mission possible is not as dumb as three, but it's close

Nothing is as dumb as 2

Please bring back Brad Bird

It's even more ridiculous than the Fast and the Furious movies now. And the writing was so, so bad. You have a 3 hour movie, there's no need to do constant exposition dumps, especially when it's just going from person to person.

P1 - "We created the AI in order to do X, Y and Z"
P2 - "But it got out and began working it's way into every system on Earth"
P3 - "The most dangerous thing in the world, you have no idea what it's capable of"
P4 - "And there's nothing you can do to stop it"

Etc etc

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I will fight and die on MI3 is the best island. They're all dumb, it's about which one has the best scenery chewing villain. Such a great PSH role.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

OldSenileGuy posted:

You are not! I think it's really fun but I'm a sucker for the genre

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Imo every single mission impossible has an almost indistinguishable amount of crazy stunts, but what really makes the difference is when there's an antagonist that stands out. Not "Another Scandinavian Anarchist Who Wants to Nuke the World for....Reasons". That's why 3 will always the best in my book.
That's why Fallout was a breath of fresh air after a lot of sameness.
Other thing that matters to me is the supporting cast and 3 totally blows every other one out of the water there too. Before the dark days of Jeremy Renner Is Slovakian and "let's give Simon Pegg more screen time!!"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

OldSenileGuy posted:

poo poo, you're one of the few people on the planet that REMEMBERS Tomorrowland.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Seriously.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm watching The Mill. hope its not too spoilery but it's kinda got The Platform vibes, but more american

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I don't like any of the mission impossible sequels. 2 is kinda fun in that it started the Tom Cruise stunt stuff but they are mainly boring as hell

E: I thought you said MI:III

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 12, 2023

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
The Mill was good was expecting a gotcha obviously but not that one. That dude was so inscrutable up until the very last moment you have no idea what his reaction was going to be and how the movie would end.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm watching The Mill. hope its not too spoilery but it's kinda got The Platform vibes, but more american

That's a good take

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Phantom of the Paradise is on Criterion and I watched it for the first time. Fell in love instantly. I love a good De Palma split screen sequence and Paul Williams is a nasty delightful little man.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sourdough Sam posted:

Phantom of the Paradise is on Criterion and I watched it for the first time. Fell in love instantly. I love a good De Palma split screen sequence and Paul Williams is a nasty delightful little man.

Genuinely my favorite Depalma movie

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I will fight and die on MI3 is the best island. They're all dumb, it's about which one has the best scenery chewing villain. Such a great PSH role.

MI:3 is better than 2, 4, and 7. :smugbert:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I forgot until rewatching all the MI movies in the lead up to the (bad) new one is that the climax of MI3 is Ethan fistfighting PSH in a nondescript house and then watching him get clipped by a random bus driver lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it's an incredibly appropriate way for a PSH character to die though tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I go to look up how many episodes are in Fall of the House of Usher and I immediately get a death spoiler. :thisagain: