Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

First time I heard of Gina Carano was when they rebooted American Gladiators back in '08.

Hilarious that she could have just kept her terrible opinions to herself and the Star Wars Money Train would have kept on rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.
O.J. Simpson’s career died on June 12, 1994 — the same day he was accused of murdering his wife Nicole Brown and her friend Ron Goldman. Until that day, everyone knew Simpson as a NFL star, an actor in films such as Roots and The Naked Gun trilogy, and that guy in all of the Hertz rental car commercials.

What followed was the best-known low-speed police chase in history and the biggest criminal trial of the 1990s. A jury found Simpson not guilty of murder, but he lost a subsequent civil trial and owes the Goldman family millions of dollars he’ll never pay. He also served nine years in prison for robbery and burglary.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Everyone's favorite nerdcore rapper "mc chris" had a big blow-up on a fan and called security at a show, and then cried on video and everyone online laughed at him. You may recall:

Wikipedia posted:

In July 2012, Ward told the security guards at his show in Philadelphia to eject an audience member who had posted a critical comment on Twitter about his opening act Richie Branson. After receiving criticism from fans, he posted a video in which he cried and apologized for his actions. The fan received a refund, and described in a Reddit post how he felt humiliated by the experience.[20]

And since then I am not sure he has ever recovered. For the record I like the guy and wish him well, and I still listen to his music sometimes, even if I have to skip a couple super cringy tracks (Hoodie Ninja anyone?); I think he slunk off the Internet for a while, but he still puts out music. I don't do Twitter so I'm not sure he was able to carry on having a social media presence. I guess he last had an album out on 2018 that I should probably check out. Poor mc chris. Chris if you're reading this, I still think you're pretty great.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The truly damaging thing Katherine Heigl did to her reputation was declining Emmy consideration for Grey's Anatomy and making it known in the press she did so to stick it to the writers/producers.

"I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination and in an effort to maintain the integrity of the academy organization, I withdrew my name from contention," she tells Gold Derby. "In addition, I did not want to potentially take away an opportunity from an actress who was given such materials." https://www.businessinsider.com/2008/6/katherine-heigl-grey-s-anatomy-didn-t-give-me-emmy-worthy-material

This is my first time hearing about it, and it seems oddly...anti-smug? I don't even know how to describe it. It's like, a move ostensibly meant to be humble that ended up coming back around to being smug. I'm as impressed as I am confused.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Everyone's favorite nerdcore rapper "mc chris" had a big blow-up on a fan and called security at a show, and then cried on video and everyone online laughed at him. You may recall:

quote:

In July 2012, Ward told the security guards at his show in Philadelphia to eject an audience member who had posted a critical comment on Twitter about his opening act Richie Branson. After receiving criticism from fans, he posted a video in which he cried and apologized for his actions. The fan received a refund, and described in a Reddit post how he felt humiliated by the experience.[20]

I did not recall, and...wow. :yikeseroo:

quote:

And since then I am not sure he has ever recovered. For the record I like the guy and wish him well, and I still listen to his music sometimes, even if I have to skip a couple super cringy tracks (Hoodie Ninja anyone?); I think he slunk off the Internet for a while, but he still puts out music. I don't do Twitter so I'm not sure he was able to carry on having a social media presence. I guess he last had an album out on 2018 that I should probably check out. Poor mc chris. Chris if you're reading this, I still think you're pretty great.

Hey, mc chris owns. I wanna go to an mc chris show. Guess I'll have to memorize all of his lines in the meantime. :shrug:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

You know McLean, MASH is great. But it’s an ensemble. I have a handful of great scripts about a hardware store owner, a conservative priest with a wacky progressive nun, and a radio host single dad. Any of these will be a huge hit with your name attached.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

YeahTubaMike posted:

This is my first time hearing about it, and it seems oddly...anti-smug? I don't even know how to describe it. It's like, a move ostensibly meant to be humble that ended up coming back around to being smug. I'm as impressed as I am confused.

Lol, I remember that confusion being everyone's immediate reaction when that story started making the rounds.

There was like this collective "ohhhh" that this pretty much had to be a form of protest over how much she thought the show sucked (or her part at least) considering how you'd kind of have to go out of your way to do this, and that if you really thought your work wasn't worth a nom you'd think you'd simply trust the Emmys to see that for themselves and all.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdCYMvaUcrA&t=25s

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The exact moment the credits rolled for the Warcraft movie.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

YeahTubaMike posted:

Imagine how Nicolas Cage must feel. Remember what Roger Ebert said about him: "Cage is a good actor in good movies, and an almost indispensable actor in bad ones."

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

Imagine how Nicolas Cage must feel. Remember what Roger Ebert said about him: "Cage is a good actor in good movies, and an almost indispensable actor in bad ones."

I would love being described like that. When you're surrounded by great performances you are simply part of them, but you're the superhero schlock needs. Hell yeah.

Also on mc chris, showing my terrible memories of being a teen, there was also something about him basically burning bridges with a lot of other artists in the "scene" that caused a lot of bad blood. I think there was something about stiffing MC Lars for money or something.

Which like, that dude's career peaked with Download this Song, like two decades ago or something lol he doesn't have money!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I had thought Jason Alexander was semiretired with Seinfeld money but just saw him in a Verizon commercial so I dunno. Although maybe he wants a bigger house?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I had thought Jason Alexander was semiretired with Seinfeld money but just saw him in a Verizon commercial so I dunno. Although maybe he wants a bigger house?

He's actually been working pretty steadily the whole time. Either he's got the world's biggest coke habit or he just loves the acting business.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

the holy poopacy posted:

He's actually been working pretty steadily the whole time. Either he's got the world's biggest coke habit or he just loves the acting business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh1kmVwS4Hw

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Imagine making like 3 million for a days work on an air conditioned set. He can do a few and cover his tax bill for the next few years.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

That man won a Grammy and a Tony.

For that commercial.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
as far as this thread is concerned, jason alexander is bulletproof OK??

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I figure he’s a theatre kid that just Loves To Perform so he’ll show up in like, Criminal Minds or something to scratch the itch.

Or he is below-Cage levels of financially irresponsible.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

well why not posted:

I figure he’s a theatre kid that just Loves To Perform

It's this, watch his episode of Star Trek for proof

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

It's this, watch his episode of Star Trek for proof

Star Trek episodes :eng101:

He got to play a cranky alien doctor on Star Trek: Prodigy for half a season before Paramount erased it from existence for a tax kickback.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

A Fancy Hat posted:

Speaking of right-wing grifters, this might be a bit premature but I think we're finally seeing the downfall of Steven Crowder.

Perhaps most famous for this role as The Brain on PBS Kids' Arthur TV show, .

loving what?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I mean it killed her career in anything remotely plausible and she fell into the right wing grift circuit as a result

https://twitter.com/thymetikon/status/1131702577878503425
lmao she still has the doctorate whose thesis depended on misunderstanding that legal term.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I mean it killed her career in anything remotely plausible and she fell into the right wing grift circuit as a result

https://twitter.com/thymetikon/status/1131702577878503425

She gets confused for real journalist Naomi Klein so much, Klein wrote a book about it called Doppleganger.

quote:

“Doppelganger” is a different kind of book for Klein: more intimate and personal, shot through with a type of ambiguity that isn’t much of a presence in her earlier work. Where her previous targets have been familiar villains — greedy corporations, merciless capitalists, fossil-fuel companies, the economist Milton Friedman — her adversaries in “Doppelganger” reflect the ideological chaos of the last few years: billionaire tech tycoons, Darwinist yoga moms, xenophobic propagandists and ... Naomi Wolf?

Wolf is the doppelgänger of the book’s title — the feminist intellectual who wrote the classic text “The Beauty Myth,” which argued that beauty standards serve as a form of social control, and a person whom people have been confusing with Klein for at least a dozen years. “Doppelganger” opens with a scene in a public bathroom near the Occupy protests in 2011, when Klein overhears some women misattributing to her something Wolf had said. But it was during the isolation of the Covid pandemic that being chronically mixed up with Wolf, or “Other Naomi,” went from amusing to utterly bewildering. In the spring of 2021, Other Naomi started floating the conspiratorial fiction that vaccinated people might somehow endanger the unvaccinated. Wolf was suspended from Twitter in June 2021; despite self-identifying as a “liberal democrat,” she was becoming a frequent guest on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News show and Steve Bannon’s “War Room” podcast.

quote:

And then there’s the rank absurdity of the Klein/Wolf mix-up. Yes, the two women are Jewish; both have brownish-blondish hair; both have written big-idea books; both have been outspoken about abuses of political power during times of crisis. But their bodies of work are distinctive, and the association between them became ever more troubling to Klein as Wolf began tweeting “pulpy theories” about 5G, about weird clouds. The confusion was widespread enough to be commemorated in a viral poem:

if the Naomi be Klein
you’re doing just fine
If the Naomi be Wolf
Oh, buddy. Ooooof.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/30/...&smid=url-share

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

First time I heard of Gina Carano was when they rebooted American Gladiators back in '08.

Hilarious that she could have just kept her terrible opinions to herself and the Star Wars Money Train would have kept on rolling.

The X-shaped graph in her popularity with people who originally liked her Star Wars character vs. people who originally hated her Star Wars character is loving amazing. Normal people started out like "Oh, this character is neat, I'd like to see more of her", and chuds were like "BIG WOMAN IN STAR WR MAKE MY PEE PEE SMALL AND WOKE ME DON'T LIKE", and then when she revealed what a shitsack she was normal people were like "Oh, okay, they should probably kill off her character or recast her, that's a shame" and chuds were like "WE STAN WHAT'S HER rear end, TINA CARNO FOREVER! no we didn't just hastily erase all of our tweets and videos trashing her shut up"

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui1jPNDWArM

Also here's a classic one:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/silent-film-star-arrested-for-murder

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Arbuckle's image was seriously damaged by William Hart, a respected in the industry actor who never worked with Roscoe on any picture, who acted mostly in schmaltzy cowboy crap and also was rumoured to be violent on the sets. Buster Keaton, who was supportive of Arbuckle innocence from the start, later directed and starred in a movie that basically killed Hart's career, parodying every tired cliche his movies were known for. Hart only worked on 5 movies after "The Frozen North".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frozen_North#Production

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jestery posted:

loving what?

He was The Brain on Arthur.

Yep.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://x.com/meidastouch/status/1499095230141775872 i think this is the moment that proved Ron desantis was hosed on the national stage. Less what he said and more that he is a weird Uber control freak who snaps off at the littlest poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

the holy poopacy posted:

I think he just likes it, he can also pick what he wants to do now either out of interest or pay, honestly good for him.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ethan Klein vape naysh

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

That was definitely when his career really started though

It died once he tried to rib Bill Barr and got embarrassed on his own podcast then spent a year crying about it

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

SO DONT loving BUY IT, DONT loving DRINK IT, DONT loving CLICK MY LINKS.

I mean Christ, all I did was make this thread to support a product which actually pleasantly surprised me, and folks are voting this thread "crap" and suggesting I'm scamming them. I've said repeatedly that this was just my experience and in no way should indicate how everybody else will feel. I've said the links to Amazon were referrals, so I'm not trying to hide anything. I've-

ahh gently caress it, I'm closing this thread, gently caress you and gently caress GBS, I can never post a single goddamn thread in here without you faggots making GBS threads it up in some way or another. I should've learned my lesson long ago and never left the intelligent, rational forum where I don't have to deal with clueless idiots and morons like you people. I'm going back to FYAD and staying there, since it has a microscopic fraction of the retards and trolls populating GBS.

I guess that should strike me as being ironic, but it's more sad to me than anything. Thanks for running me out of my own goddamn forum.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wowee, Sally!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bradzilla posted:

SO DONT loving BUY IT, DONT loving DRINK IT, DONT loving CLICK MY LINKS.

I mean Christ, all I did was make this thread to support a product which actually pleasantly surprised me, and folks are voting this thread "crap" and suggesting I'm scamming them. I've said repeatedly that this was just my experience and in no way should indicate how everybody else will feel. I've said the links to Amazon were referrals, so I'm not trying to hide anything. I've-

ahh gently caress it, I'm closing this thread, gently caress you and gently caress GBS, I can never post a single goddamn thread in here without you faggots making GBS threads it up in some way or another. I should've learned my lesson long ago and never left the intelligent, rational forum where I don't have to deal with clueless idiots and morons like you people. I'm going back to FYAD and staying there, since it has a microscopic fraction of the retards and trolls populating GBS.

I guess that should strike me as being ironic, but it's more sad to me than anything. Thanks for running me out of my own goddamn forum.

A good choice but I wouldn’t say it was the exact moment

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Career death, not literal

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Toxic Mental posted:

That was definitely when his career really started though

It died once he tried to rib Bill Barr and got embarrassed on his own podcast then spent a year crying about it

True

Vape naysh was peak Ethan

But yeah, bill burr will ruin you

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I think one could point to Jordan Peterson getting himself into a coma because of his drug addiction as being the point where he was once taken seriously to being the person even conservative-types tried to quickly push into a corner.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Yeah this was definitely the moment where people began turning on him en masse

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I've read this entire thread and that Ashley Simpson video is still the winner :colbert:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

It isn't really the moment his career died but it does hammer several additional nails in.

Sinbad on the Eric Andre Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py1RPhxrSTE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

GolfHole posted:

It isn't really the moment his career died but it does hammer several additional nails in.

Sinbad on the Eric Andre Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py1RPhxrSTE

"So this is where you've been for the last 15 years" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ErUKbwMlc