Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My MHW team are my real-life cat, and the Jason Bateman idiot from Dodgeball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

I found it just as easy to play with randoms so I dunno what that's about

To expand upon the difference:

In Rise you have to browse a list of lobbies and join a pre-existing lobby before the hunt begins - there are generally only a few available at a time and they often don't provide any information about what they'll be hunting. There's lots of sitting around waiting as you join lobbies full of AFK people, or joining and finding out that they're no longer hunting the thing listed in the name of the lobby, etc. This is pretty standard MonHun multiplayer so it's not worse than most of the series, just worse than World.

In World you don't need to join a lobby at all. Players can send a SOS Flare after starting a hunt which allows anyone to drop into that hunt in-progress. You can sit in town and view a large list of active SoS hunts and pop right into one, knowing ahead of time exactly what you'll be hunting and not wasting any time getting into it. In World you can start a hunt and then shoot a SoS flare and you're more or less guaranteed to have players join you by the time you're fighting the monster, in Rise if you wanted people to join you on a hunt you have to start a lobby and sit around waiting for it to fill up before starting the hunt. It's very quick and easy to drop into any hunt you want, or start your own and have players drop into it. Plus it's possible to start a solo hunt but leave it open for players to join, which isn't possible in Rise since they can only join before the hunt starts. So multiplayer is less of a binary "make a lobby or play solo" and it's more of an open-ended thing where you can drop-in/drop-out of multiplayer at will, you can play solo while still allowing other players to join.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 10, 2023

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Nah, you can just start a hunt with join request active if you want the SOS flare experience. The only time I made a lobby in Rise was when I was playing with a dedicated partner.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

I don't know if you're a console warrior who's mad Rise launched on Switch first or what, but this post feels outright dishonest. Even ignoring all the subjective stuff (You're definitely an outlier in saying that Clutch Claw is good, for example)

quote:

Rise:
Worse multiplayer systems for playing with randoms (it's virtually impossible)
much less content than World (46 large monsters in Rise vs 71 in Iceborne) (edit: Sunbreak adds a handful more to Rise)

Iceborne:
Way more content
Much better multiplayer systems for playing with randoms
Monsters scale to number of players, so solo hunts are much shorter

All of these points are just objectively false or actively misleading

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

:confused: What's objectively wrong about those things? The number of monsters is an immutable number and the monster scaling is true.

e: Definitely not a console warrior because Switch is the only console I own and MHGU4 is my favorite Monster Hunter :hellyeah:

Tricky posted:

Nah, you can just start a hunt with join request active if you want the SOS flare experience. The only time I made a lobby in Rise was when I was playing with a dedicated partner.

The problem with this is that Join Requests are region-locked, you have to install a mod to break the region locking, and personally I played a few dozen hours of Rise without ever having a single person join a Join Request (even with the cross-region mod). When I asked about it in the Monster Hunter thread I was told that essentially yeah, Join Requests rarely work, and Rise is best played with AI companions. That's when I quit playing Rise because playing with randoms is the most fun part of Monster Hunter!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 10, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I almost exclusively played rise with randoms, joining via join requests. It seemed far easier to get in and out of any monster fight I needed at the time. Also never had any issues getting people into my game. I'm on the east coast in the US so maybe that's why?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

deep dish peat moss posted:

:confused: What's objectively wrong about those things? The number of monsters is an immutable number and the monster scaling is true.

e: Definitely not a console warrior because Switch is the only console I own and MHGU4 is my favorite Monster Hunter :hellyeah:

The problem with this is that Join Requests are region-locked, you have to install a mod to break the region locking, and personally I played a few dozen hours of Rise without ever having a single person join a Join Request (even with the cross-region mod)

World's multiplayer system is slightly worse than Rise, because if you want to play through the story in World with a friend you have to constantly start missions solo, run around until you see the cutscene, quit out, then restart in multiplayer. Rise you can just play through coop without issue. Past that multiplayer works the same in both games.

Your monster number is comparing World + expansion to base Rise. If you compare base World to base Rise the numbers are very similar, and if you compare World + expansion to Rise + expansion the numbers are also similar.

World and Rise both have the same system for scaling monster health to number of players, so listing it in favor of World but not Rise is misleading.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

IIRC World scales to 1, 3 or 4 players while multi-player hunts in Rise scale to 2, 3 or 4 players.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I couldn't tell you the exact formulas used in each game, but Rise definitely scales hub missions down to be reasonable solo fights if you do them alone - trying to solo stuff is not slower in Rise than in World.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I put it down to World being a better MH experience, but Rise is a better game. Rise respects your time a lot more, but a lot of people felt that lost out on some of the charm by getting rid of all the timewasters that gave some flavor.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’m a simple person who doesn’t have strong opinions on the grapple or multiplayer. World has more tracking and exploring in a prettier world. But I see folks who prefer to get into a fight as quickly as possible in which case Rise is the correct choice.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Gunlance feels better to play in Rise, so it’s objectively the better game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
but CB is slightly worse. truly we are in a land of contrasts

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Squiggle posted:

Is there a sensible explanation of the differences between MH World and Rise, because winding up in the Steam discussions to read community answers to this question has made me hate both games

I played MHW up to High Rank on PS4 at release but never actually finished it and didn't bother with Iceborne. While I grabbed Rise for a Steam Deck game and have yet to start it, World's on sale for PC right now at Gamebillet, and since I'm an old man I find myself returning to things I know

rise fast, world slow.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

deep dish peat moss posted:

Rise:
Worse multiplayer systems for playing with randoms (it's virtually impossible)
much less content than World (46 large monsters in Rise vs 71 in Iceborne) (edit: Sunbreak adds a handful more to Rise)
More mobility (you get a grappling hook and a mount)
Less 'hunting' e.g. you don't stalk your prey by following tracks and investigating, you just enter the map and beeline to them, fight them, and leave
You can get AI companions to hunt with that are better than random players
You get a dog
Has an annoying tower defense mode you're required to play sometimes
More verticality in levels (because of the grappling hook)

Iceborne:
Way more content
Much better multiplayer systems for playing with randoms
Clutch Claw (an optional mechanic that lets you make fights much easier if you use it well, some people hate it because it feels 'necessary', I think it's cool and adds an additional layer of strategy)
Monsters scale to number of players, so solo hunts are much shorter
Much more intense/difficult high-end hunts
More active players
You have to track monsters around the map by following and investigating footprints, etc.
Less of a "gear grind" (arguably the heart and soul of MonHun) because you can farm extremely strong weapons as direct drops from end-game event bosses, and there's one single armor set that comes from one of them that's so good it gets used in almost every single build.

e: IMO Rise feels like an arcade-y spinoff and I didn't like it as much as World, but it's still a good game and some people like it more than World.

if you're after "content quantity", MH Generations Ultimate released right around the same time as World (before it in Japan but after for the rest of the world) and has tons of monsters to hunt, since it's a wrap-up/capstone of the previous generation of MH games and has everything from each of them. It also has the hunting styles system so each weapon has basically 6 different movesets to choose between that change its gameplay a lot.
Sadly it's switch-only.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I’m a simple person who doesn’t have strong opinions on the grapple or multiplayer. World has more tracking and exploring in a prettier world. But I see folks who prefer to get into a fight as quickly as possible in which case Rise is the correct choice.

You can do the get-right-into-fights thing in Iceborne as well, kinda, once you unlock Tailraiders. You just whistle for a lizard buddy and ride them right to the monster with no need for any tracking. Although I think you have to do the whole tracking thing for at least one fight before it'll work.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 10, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah the tail raiders are pretty cool, also the birds who pick you up. I like how they made fast travel in a thematic way instead of magic portals or whatever

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Rise had vastly superior weapon designs.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

bbcisdabomb posted:

I hope whatever gets made next it's on a portable system. MH has always been a game for me to play at a friend's house and while I really enjoyed World it was missing me sitting in a room with three of my friends.

You and your friends should get steam decks, sounds like.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

skeletronics posted:

Just a couple of bros playing with their decks together

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Are decks good at local mp stuff now

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just booted up the RE2 remake to test on a RTX4060 and gently caress me, thats still a great looking game for something that's coming up to 5 years old.

Did capcom just gaze into the future and go nuts with the maximum possible configuration hoping tech would catch up or something?

I mean, the 4060 still can't push it to max settings because it would need a 12GB card to do that.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
There was a massive RE2 graphical update about a year ago, so its not the same game it was at launch.

(My 750Ti could actually play it at launch)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they moved it over to DX12 and mostly just made it perform worse in the process, even if you disable the raytracing options they added

there's a pinned build you can enable in steam to roll back to the DX11 version

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I know they added a raytracing mode or somesuch a while ago, which hard-requires a newer gfx card. There's a steam option to roll it back to DX11 requirements.

My 960 can't really run it well enough under proton, so it's kinda shelved until a newer proton automagically fixes everything (never) or I upgrade in another few year's time. Sigh.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Zathril posted:

Rise had vastly superior weapon designs.

what? did you not like bone sword with duct taped feathers weapon #43 in mhw?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The war between Rise fans and World fans is never ending. I'm on the side of World mostly because it had the absolute best Lance experience in the entire series, and because I really enjoyed doing more Hunting in Monster Hunter for a change. Rise just felt kinda sterile in comparison.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Infinity Gaia posted:

and because I really enjoyed doing more Hunting in Monster Hunter for a change

I know everyone has their own opinions but I will never understand why people always say this about the detective vision "follow the ugly bright neon line" stuff in World. It's not like you the player need to put even a single thought into it. If anything the one braincell it takes to look at the map in Rise and decide what path you want to take is more engaging.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The worst parts of MonHun are all the parts where you are not actively loving up a big monster and Rise cut down a lot of those little annoyances. Inshallah they will one day remove gathering entirely.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Zeron posted:

Rise respects your time a lot more

God no. Rise's progression requires more rare items than World's does and on top of that it lacks the investigations and vouchers that made it easier to get rare parts in World. You are going to be repeating fights far more often in Rise than you'll ever do in World.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Snake Maze posted:

I know everyone has their own opinions but I will never understand why people always say this about the detective vision "follow the ugly bright neon line" stuff in World. It's not like you the player need to put even a single thought into it. If anything the one braincell it takes to look at the map in Rise and decide what path you want to take is more engaging.

Eh you also gather footprints and sludge and stuff. I thought it was more fun than "look at map, see where monster is, use basically infinite wirebug mobility to jump over there in 3 seconds, or ride dog if too lazy for even that". It's just personal taste.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

skeletronics posted:

eew the Deck is huge and heavy and has terrible battery life.

I hope World 2 comes to Switch 2 next year but give me small+light any day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

eew the Deck is huge and heavy and has terrible battery life.

Not really

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dog should be underlined on that list
Also spiderman mobility won me over vs clutch claw to a huge degree
Both can eat poo poo for no Jhen mohran or duramboros
Also nibblesnarf wtf dude where's querpeco?!
Huh?
Everyone is asking

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
big steamy decks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

doesn't matter how big your deck is if it's got no RAM to it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I really wish they had kept World's multiplayer system for Rise. It was funny struggling with a monster in singleplayer, firing an SOS flare, and almost instantly 3 high rank japanese players join the hunt and completely demolish the thing that was kicking your rear end. It's like getting stuck on a level and getting your older brother to help you out.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

World has the clutch claw and Rise has rampages, which are both not good things.

World has a pig and Rise has dogs, which are both very good things.

Monster Hunter is a land of contrasts.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Rise ditches Rampages in the expansion at least.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Upsidads posted:

Dog should be underlined on that list
Also spiderman mobility won me over vs clutch claw to a huge degree
Both can eat poo poo for no Jhen mohran or duramboros
Also nibblesnarf wtf dude where's querpeco?!
Huh?
Everyone is asking

lot of people saying this yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

imo just make a monster hunter game with every single monster ever