Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It means you have an excuse to skip all the tedious campaigning this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Failed Imagineer posted:

A hundred years from now, gas-pedaling the Speaker's dick and balls every morning will be seen as an august tradition of the venerable House, its origins shrouded in time

They'll use that big mace.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

It means you have an excuse to skip all the tedious campaigning this time

It's a "they'll be back, you'll see."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
We have our second official casualty in the Republican primary. RIP to all my fellow members of the Hurd Herd.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1711517186630561981

quote:

Republican presidential candidate Will Hurd announced Monday that he was dropping out of the 2024 GOP primary and endorsing former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley instead.

“Unfortunately, it has become clear to me and my team that the time has come to suspend our campaign. While I appreciate all the time and energy our supporters have given, it is important to recognize the realities of the political landscape and the need to consolidate our party around one person to defeat both Donald Trump and President Biden,” Hurd, a former Texas congressman, said in a statement posted on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

“Our nation deserves a leader who can unite us and navigate the complex challenges we face, particularly when it comes to our national security. I believe Ambassador Nikki Haley is the best person in this race to do that,” he said.

“Ambassador Haley has shown a willingness to articulate a different vision for the country than Donald Trump and has an unmatched grasp on the complexities of our foreign policy,” Hurd said.

Haley thanked Hurd for his endorsement in a post on X.

“America is at a crossroads and it’s time to come together and make Joe Biden a one-term president. Thank you @WillHurd for your support and confidence. We have a country to save!” she said.

Hurd’s decision to drop out came after the Texas Republican failed to meet the criteria needed to qualify for the first and second GOP debates. Hurd has also largely been trailing his 2024 rivals in national and local polling.

Hurd was among a small number of anti-Trump critics running in the Republican presidential primary. Hurd and former Govs. Asa Hutchinson (Ark.) and Chris Christie (N.J.) have all been critical of the former president and trail other Republican rivals like Haley and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Though Christie has performed better in New Hampshire, the polling has underscored the reality that anti-Trump messaging has not resonated with the GOP electorate at large.

Hurd’s decision also underscores how the race is already being viewed by some Republicans and donors as a two-person race between Haley and DeSantis to become the chief rival to former President Trump, who holds a comfortable lead in national and local polling over all of his rivals.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I’m not begging you, you’re going to be begging me!

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
All McCarthy needs to do to become speaker again is reconcile with his bitter enemy, Matt Gaetz, and a small clique of far-right hardliners who don't believe in compromise or negotiation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Morrow posted:

All McCarthy needs to do to become speaker again is reconcile with his bitter enemy, Matt Gaetz, and a small clique of far-right hardliners who don't believe in compromise or negotiation.

Even easier. Just find eight members of the House who didn't vote for him last time but are willing to change their minds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh good the circus is still in town

I thought maybe I'd missed my chance to see it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I feel bad for Kevin McCarthy.

Wait, no I don't.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RFK Jr. raising an impressive amount of money after declaring his independent run. It will be interesting to see the financial documents when the quarter is up to see if people are giving directly or hiding their identity with dark money by giving through a 501(c)4 and see who these people are that are donating $11 million in 24 hours to a Super PAC. Very very few small donors give to Super PACs.

https://twitter.com/teddyschleifer/status/1711774006125146491

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

I AM GRANDO posted:

“I’m not running but I’ll accept the position if I’m elected” doesn’t seem particularly different from running for the position to me.

It kinda sounds like something I do on a regular basis: act like you don't really care so when you eventually fail you don't look as stupid. Unfortunately he already looks very stupid and it'll probably work about as well for him as it works for me.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

RFK Jr. raising an impressive amount of money after declaring his independent run. It will be interesting to see the financial documents when the quarter is up to see if people are giving directly or hiding their identity with dark money by giving through a 501(c)4 and see who these people are that are donating $11 million in 24 hours to a Super PAC. Very very few small donors give to Super PACs.

https://twitter.com/teddyschleifer/status/1711774006125146491

Why would anyone dump any money into his campaign for announcing its own obsolescence. The conceit of RFK jr. only made sense in the Democratic primary where the Kennedy name once upon a time meant something and the absence of actual Biden challengers left an opening for him to get some free attention. Obviously RFK Jr. was going to have the DNC and every Democratic politician in the country working to prevent him from generating a meaningful challenge to Biden but at least he'd have been able to get on the ballot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Any % pulled might swing a state.

Of course RFK Jr's polling significantly better with Reps then Dems at this point, so yeah sure whomever's funding this should probably continue.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
C'mon, give me Kennedy knocking out Trump as the Republican nominee.

*Monkey paw curls a finger*

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
RFK's supporters are more likely to be Republicans and West is also getting publicity for whatever he's doing. I don't think there's any downside to him going independent.

It's weird that he raised that much money going independent, but you already had to be delusional to take his campaign seriously and now there's the factor of supporting him to split off Trump votes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

James Garfield posted:

RFK's supporters are more likely to be Republicans and West is also getting publicity for whatever he's doing. I don't think there's any downside to him going independent.

It's weird that he raised that much money going independent, but you already had to be delusional to take his campaign seriously and now there's the factor of supporting him to split off Trump votes.

To be fair, his constituency is made up of the most gullible people on the face of the earth.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1711817601171534165

What's the opposite of a Shermanesque denial

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 10, 2023

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

To be fair, his constituency is made up of the most gullible people on the face of the earth.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1711817601171534165

What's the opposite of a Shermanesque denial

Which puts him in direct competition for Trump voters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kalli posted:

Any % pulled might swing a state.

Of course RFK Jr's polling significantly better with Reps then Dems at this point, so yeah sure whomever's funding this should probably continue.

Surely they’re just excited about him as a challenger to Biden or someone with the potential to gently caress things up for the democrats? I can’t see republicans choosing him over trump, vaccine race science aside.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1711723695834575097

Perhaps the clearest evidence I've seen that small biz owners are the absolute core of the GOP voter base. You can see the only time that their opinions matched reality is post-9/11 and during Trump's term and is otherwise completely disconnected from actual trends. I don't know if they're lying or they actually believe that good economy is when the president is a Republican, but it doesn't really matter as far as outcomes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want to ask this in the least trolling and lovely way possible but I'm not sure I can.

What the gently caress is up with RFK's voice? How does a human body even do that?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

some kinda jackal posted:

I want to ask this in the least trolling and lovely way possible but I'm not sure I can.

What the gently caress is up with RFK's voice? How does a human body even do that?

He has a neurological disease (that he thinks he got from vaccines as a child) that causes throat spasms and gives him a slightly weird voice.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm asking in the least trolling and lovely way possible: why didn't you just Google this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

e: Spasms, ok that's the answer, thanks!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I'm asking in the least trolling and lovely way possible: why didn't you just Google this?

Got me there

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1711723695834575097

Perhaps the clearest evidence I've seen that small biz owners are the absolute core of the GOP voter base. You can see the only time that their opinions matched reality is post-9/11 and during Trump's term and is otherwise completely disconnected from actual trends. I don't know if they're lying or they actually believe that good economy is when the president is a Republican, but it doesn't really matter as far as outcomes.

The drop in confidence when Obama won is bigger than the financial crisis :laugh:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Other readers appreciate discussion. I didn't know about that, now I do!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DynamicSloth posted:

Why would anyone dump any money into his campaign for announcing its own obsolescence. The conceit of RFK jr. only made sense in the Democratic primary where the Kennedy name once upon a time meant something and the absence of actual Biden challengers left an opening for him to get some free attention. Obviously RFK Jr. was going to have the DNC and every Democratic politician in the country working to prevent him from generating a meaningful challenge to Biden but at least he'd have been able to get on the ballot.

While we don't have any info about this particular set of donations yet, RFK Jr's campaign so far has been almost entirely funded by a handful of right-leaning megabillionaires.

For example, Tim Mellon, the heir to the Mellon banking fortune, donated $5 million to RFK Jr's superPACs. To put that in perspective, he donated more than $50 million to the Texas government to fund the construction of a border wall. Gavin de Becker, a Republican-leaning private security executive who currently works as Jeff Bezos' head of security, donated $4.5 million. For these guys, a few million bucks are basically just pocket change.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah. Despite the risk that RFK Jr. will siphon off more GOP votes than Dem, the entire premise behind his candidacy is still to spoiler the Dems and tilt the election to Trump. Whoever is throwing millions into his SuperPAC is no doubt pursuing that outcome.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Main Paineframe posted:

Eh, I think it was actually a clever move. Scalise and Jordan probably wouldn't be falling apart nearly as badly if McCarthy had been in the race from the start, since they and the media both would have been able to put their primary focus on McCarthy. By pretending to back out, he left them without an easy target to agree on, and ensured their descent into maximum clownshow bullshit. Now that they've sufficiently embarrassed themselves in front of everyone, he can come back in and start reminding people that Scalise and Jordan don't have to be the only options.

If it was an actual move from McCarthy, he wouldn't have immediately after losing started torching bridges and threatening to resign and go home. We're just in an odd situation where the stupid move and the smart move run in close parallel.

Most likely what happened is McCarthy started his dying, spiteful thrashing, and a staffer/"moderate" Republican/donor with a modicum of intelligence had a talking to with him. We can see this by the fact that he is now trying to play the smart move, but is still doing it very clumsily because he's having trouble sounding out the big words on the cheat sheet he was given.

The other possibility is the Democrats stepped in and had a chat when he started threatening to quit. He may not currently agree to any power sharing deals, but keeping the doofus in play is still the best shot the Democrats have at salvaging some sort of actual governance from this shitshow. At this point their best bet would have been to have one of the Blue Dogs or Problem Solvers point out to the idiot that there was a way for him to still win and show up Gaetz.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GaryGrumbach/status/1711850806503182435

What the hell is she talking about?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

She was one of the 8 who voted to oust McCarthy and she has been complaining that everyone is shunning her for valuing her principles about the national debt and border over partisan politics.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Is she getting ahead of a sex scandal?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

Is she getting ahead of a sex scandal?

Her having an affair with a member of the clergy would be just about as wealthy drunk Charleston as she could get.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New York District Attorney just announced they are unsealing a 23-count indictment against George Santos.

Credit card fraud, conspiracy, bank fraud, campaign finance violations, false statements, aggravated identity theft, wire fraud, falsification of records, and computer fraud.

In addition to the many things he was suspected of that have already been reported, the indictment also alleges that Santos was stealing the identity and credit card information of people who donated to his campaign to use to donate to his own campaign again under different names to avoid campaign contribution limits or spent for his own personal use.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr/congressman-george-santos-charged-conspiracy-wire-fraud-false-statements-0

quote:

CENTRAL ISLIP, NY – A 23-count superseding indictment was filed today in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, charging George Anthony Devolder Santos, better known as “George Santos,” the United States Representative for the Third District of New York, with one count of conspiracy to commit offenses against the United States, two counts of wire fraud, two counts of making materially false statements to the Federal Election Commission (FEC), two counts of falsifying records submitted to obstruct the FEC, two counts of aggravated identity theft, and one count of access device fraud, in addition to the seven counts of wire fraud, three counts of money laundering, one count of theft of public funds, and two counts of making materially false statements to the United States House of Representatives that were charged in the original indictment. Santos is due back in federal court in Central Islip on October 27, 2023.

Breon Peace, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, Nicole M. Argentieri, Acting Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, and James Smith, Assistant Director-in-Charge, Federal Bureau of Investigation, New York Field Office (FBI), and Anne T. Donnelly, Nassau County District Attorney, announced the superseding indictment.

“As alleged, Santos is charged with stealing people’s identities and making charges on his own donors’ credit cards without their authorization, lying to the FEC and, by extension, the public about the financial state of his campaign. Santos falsely inflated the campaign’s reported receipts with non-existent loans and contributions that were either fabricated or stolen” stated United States Attorney Peace. “This Office will relentlessly pursue criminal charges against anyone who uses the electoral process as an opportunity to defraud the public and our government institutions.”

“Santos allegedly led multiple additional fraudulent criminal schemes, lying to the American public in the process. The FBI is committed to upholding the laws of our electoral process. Anyone who attempts to violate the law as part of a political campaign will face punishment in the criminal justice system,” stated FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge Smith.

“The defendant - a Congressman - allegedly stole the identities of family members and used the credit card information of political contributors to fraudulently inflate his campaign coffers,” stated District Attorney Donnelly. “We thank our partners in the US Attorney’s Office and the FBI as we work together to root out public corruption on Long Island.”

As alleged in the superseding indictment, Santos, who was elected to Congress last November and sworn in as the U.S. Representative for New York’s Third Congressional District on January 7, 2023, engaged in two fraudulent schemes, in addition to the multiple fraudulent schemes alleged in the original indictment.

The Party Program Scheme

During the 2022 election cycle, Santos was a candidate for the United States House of Representatives in New York’s Third Congressional District. Nancy Marks, who pleaded guilty on October 5, 2023 to related conduct, was the treasurer for his principal congressional campaign committee, Devolder-Santos for Congress. During this election cycle, Santos and Marks conspired with one another to devise and execute a fraudulent scheme to obtain money for the campaign by submitting materially false reports to the FEC on behalf of the campaign, in which they inflated the campaign’s fundraising numbers for the purpose of misleading the FEC, a national party committee, and the public.

Specifically, the purpose of the scheme was to ensure that Santos and his campaign qualified for a program administered by the national party committee, pursuant to which the national party committee would provide financial and logistical support to Santos’s campaign. To qualify for the program, Santos had to demonstrate, among other things, that his congressional campaign had raised at least $250,000 from third-party contributors in a single quarter.

To create the public appearance that his campaign had met that financial benchmark and was otherwise financially viable, Santos and Marks agreed to falsely report to the FEC that at least 10 family members of Santos and Marks had made significant financial contributions to the campaign, when Santos and Marks both knew that these individuals had neither made the reported contributions nor given authorization for their personal information to be included in such false public reports. In addition, understanding that the national party committee relied on FEC fundraising data to evaluate candidates’ qualification for the program, Santos and Marks agreed to falsely report to the FEC that Santos had loaned the campaign significant sums of money, when, in fact, Santos had not made the reported loans and, at the time the loans were reported, did not have the funds necessary to make such loans. These false reported loans included a $500,000 loan, when Santos had less than $8,000 in his personal and business bank accounts.

Through the execution of this scheme, Santos and Marks ensured that Santos met the necessary financial benchmarks to qualify for the program administered by the national party committee. As a result of qualifying for the program, the congressional campaign received financial support.

The Credit Card Fraud Scheme

In addition, between approximately December 2021 and August 2022, Santos devised and executed a fraudulent scheme to steal the personal identity and financial information of contributors to his campaign. He then charged contributors’ credit cards repeatedly, without their authorization. Because of these unauthorized transactions, funds were transferred to Santos’s campaign, to the campaigns of other candidates for elected office, and to his own bank account. To conceal the true source of these funds and to circumvent campaign contribution limits, Santos falsely represented that some of the campaign contributions were made by other persons, such as his relatives or associates, rather than the true cardholders. Santos did not have authorization to use their names in this way.

For example, in December 2021, one contributor (the “Contributor”) texted Santos and others to make a contribution to his campaign, providing billing information for two credit cards. In the days after he received the billing information, Santos used the credit card information to make numerous contributions to his campaign and affiliated political committees in amounts exceeding applicable contribution limits, without the Contributor’s knowledge or authorization. To mask the true source of these contributions and thereby circumvent the applicable campaign contribution limits, Santos falsely identified the contributor for one of the charges as one of his relatives. In the following months, Santos repeatedly charged the Contributor’s credit card without the Contributor’s knowledge or authorization, attempting to make at least $44,800 in charges and repeatedly concealing the true source of funds by falsely listing the source of funds as Santos himself, his relatives and other contributors. On one occasion, Santos charged $12,000 to the Contributor’s credit card, ultimately transferring the vast majority of that money into his personal bank account.

The charges in the superseding indictment are allegations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

The government’s case is being handled by the Office’s Public Integrity Section, the Long Island Criminal Division, and the Justice Department Criminal Division’s Public Integrity Section. Assistant United States Attorneys Ryan Harris, Anthony Bagnuola, and Laura Zuckerwise, along with Trial Attorneys Jacob Steiner and John Taddei, are in charge of the prosecution with assistance from Paralegal Specialist Rachel Friedman. Former Trial Attorney Jolee Porter of the Criminal Division’s Public Integrity Section also provided substantial contributions to the prosecution.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 10, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New York District Attorney just announced they are unsealing a 23-count indictment against George Santos.

Credit card fraud, conspiracy, bank fraud, campaign finance violations, false statements, aggravated identity theft, wire fraud, falsification of records, and computer fraud.

In addition to the many things he was suspected of that have already been reported, the indictment also alleges that Santos was stealing the identity and credit card information of people who donated to his campaign to use to donate to his own campaign again under different names to avoid campaign contribution limits or spent for his own personal use.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr/congressman-george-santos-charged-conspiracy-wire-fraud-false-statements-0

Welp, there's another example of overzealous NYC prosecutors using the deep state to smear fine upstanding Republicans again.

- Sean Hannity tomorrow.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Can someone explain like I’m 5 why Chuck Schumer can’t get 50 senators tomorrow to confirm an abasador to Israel and promote all the necessary flag officers?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Welp, there's another example of overzealous NYC prosecutors using the deep state to smear fine upstanding Republicans again.

- Sean Hannity tomorrow.

Getting ready for the Trump / Santos 2024 campaign now...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

davecrazy posted:

Can someone explain like I’m 5 why Chuck Schumer can’t get 50 senators tomorrow to confirm an abasador to Israel and promote all the necessary flag officers?

One Senator can object and require several hours of delay and then 3 days of debate before the vote. For the dozens of nominations, that would take many many months to clear all of them. They just want Tuberville to give up his hold so they can do it normally instead of wasting months trying to do it. They eliminated the filibuster for judicial nominees, so they can just appoint them with 50 votes and they are focusing on appointing judges and hoping Tuberville and the others with holds will give up eventually.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

davecrazy posted:

It can't be done with just a simple majority, because for most official business anyone can say "No" and it takes 60 votes to tell the guy saying no to sit down. So essentially any business that doesn't have the approval of at least 8 Republicans including Mitch doesn't get to be done unless its one of the few crazy exceptions to the rule; such as Supreme Court nominees and so on or Reconcilliation Bills.

Flags officers and Ambassadors while fairly critical aren't quite critical enough that 51 Dems are onboard with supporting changing the rules.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Yes, I can.

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1711756832019009655

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

BiggerBoat posted:

- Sean Hannity tomorrow.

Just absolutely despicable that the Democrats made Santos do all that fraud.