Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Geight posted:

Valve games generally haven't allowed a distinction between your in-game name and Steam name for years because people are too prone to doing unsavory things with it. I also imagine it's just easier for them to implement things that way.
Which is kinda funny because I'm seeing racist usernames in there with quite some regularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Has anyone else's games in EU West been an absolute slideshow lagfest recently?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Wait people don’t like when games use your steam name? I hate setting up accounts on a per game basis. But yeah steam is valve’s gaming platform. Valve games always use your steam info.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ouroboros posted:

I had a game that was a really bad lag fest in USE. We had a Phantom Lancer in the game, so we assumed it was all the illusions that caused it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

Really? Why that sounds incredibly dumb.

What service has per-game naming? There's no way Playstation or Xbox let you set your username for each and every video game in your library

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'm guessing the person is confused about sign-in name vs shown name because it would be really dumb if i was publicly coolgoodsexhaver420311 permanently because of a choice I made when I bought halflife like twenty years ago.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My game is hard locked at 30 FPs after this patch toniight....

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ouroboros posted:

It does seem to be more on EUW but i’ve seen it on USE and USW too. Definitely server problems lately

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Wait people don’t like when games use your steam name? I hate setting up accounts on a per game basis. But yeah steam is valve’s gaming platform. Valve games always use your steam info.

Account doesnt have the be the same as your ingame nickname, right? Like my Starcraft, Hearthstone and wow games dont have to use the same name ingame, even when tied to same Blizzard account.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

bad_fmr posted:

Account doesnt have the be the same as your ingame nickname, right? Like my Starcraft, Hearthstone and wow games dont have to use the same name ingame, even when tied to same Blizzard account.

wouldn't Hearthstone in this example be what you're after? ie Hearthstone uses your bnet name which you can't change(right?)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

My game is hard locked at 30 FPs after this patch toniight....

As always, update drivers and reboot and I'm good 🙃

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I know its probably in my head or w/e but I'm going slightly insane with how seemingly often my teammates lose their lanes. I always queue with my friend and we take offlane together, according to https://stratz.com/players/4762075?trendsMatchCount=100 our lane win record over the last 100 games is W59, D23, L13 and yet our winrate is 55%. I know we definitely get some extra lane domination at the expense of later game with our picks but it's not just that, it's how almost every game it seems we dominate our lane, but the other two lanes lost so hard it doesn't matter lol

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sounds like it's one of those situations where sure you won your lane... But need to capitalize on that and help your other lanes actually do well too.

If you crush their hard carry and their 5 just rotates to the other lane to gently caress up your carry's day while their carry fucks off to the jungle and catches up, then beating them in lane doesn't really mean much

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Huge pitfall that bites all the time is a dominating offlane an early tower and then just wandering away to jungle and get some picks while their carry keeps farming the lane and the top jungle. I think once that top tower is down getting vision on those new jungle camps and just setting up shop in their jungle will help you translate the offlane win into better results

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I've been queueing into people with 200 commends in 15 matches. surely that cannot be right.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Ouroboros posted:

I know its probably in my head or w/e but I'm going slightly insane with how seemingly often my teammates lose their lanes. I always queue with my friend and we take offlane together, according to https://stratz.com/players/4762075?trendsMatchCount=100 our lane win record over the last 100 games is W59, D23, L13 and yet our winrate is 55%. I know we definitely get some extra lane domination at the expense of later game with our picks but it's not just that, it's how almost every game it seems we dominate our lane, but the other two lanes lost so hard it doesn't matter lol

55% is pretty good overall and is about 120 mmr gained.

Also I wouldn't measure all your success on lanes. I'm not sure that algorithm accounts for stacking, ganking other lanes, or getting runes. I think they can be as equally as important as laning but come with the opportunity cost of your offlaner or safelaner maybe dying or missing last hits.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ouroboros posted:

offlane is generally the easiest lane to "win"- as well as being less impactful later- when playing with a friend- the skill of that lane comes from knowing when you're strong enough that the off player can sit in lane solo while the supp rotates and helps the other lanes win too. If you were playing your duo safelane and had stats like W59 D23 you'd probably be winning 60%+ of your games

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
How does it count winning offlane? It seems hard enough to define, let along have a simple metric for it.

- Are you getting lots of kills? Not necessarily a win if that does not translate in keeping the carry from getting last hits or wave xp.

- Are you taking out the tower early? Does not mean that much in trash to median tier, there is rarely the coordination to keep the enemy jungle unsafe, not without some hubris dives into T2s.

- Can your pos4 rotate out early to go roam? However, this could also signal a lost lane, where the pos4 leaves to stop leeching wave XP so the pos3 can get some levels to recover.

- Enemy carry gets lower than average farm by minute X. Best metric I can think off, but it is hard to define the cutoff given that it's the mid/late game that counts for carries, past the laning stage. Plus, they might lane swap if they are doing badly.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
At 3k mmr, winning lane seems to have little correlation with winning games. You need to figure out what to do with the won lane, sometimes it's group up and fight, sometimes it's keep pushing solo because you're way ahead, sometimes it's trade out lanes so your teammates can have that area. But doing the wrong thing can throw your advantage away pretty quick and you're back to a 50/50 game. It's what separates the 25 min dominating games from the 60 min slogs.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Beef posted:

How does it count winning offlane? It seems hard enough to define, let along have a simple metric for it.

- Are you getting lots of kills? Not necessarily a win if that does not translate in keeping the carry from getting last hits or wave xp.

- Are you taking out the tower early? Does not mean that much in trash to median tier, there is rarely the coordination to keep the enemy jungle unsafe, not without some hubris dives into T2s.

- Can your pos4 rotate out early to go roam? However, this could also signal a lost lane, where the pos4 leaves to stop leeching wave XP so the pos3 can get some levels to recover.

- Enemy carry gets lower than average farm by minute X. Best metric I can think off, but it is hard to define the cutoff given that it's the mid/late game that counts for carries, past the laning stage. Plus, they might lane swap if they are doing badly.
I think the way its defined there is simply combined xp and networth of the heroes in that lane on each team at 10 minutes.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Can confirm. In most of my games, the team winning the lane either starts hubris-diving T2s to feed comeback gold or keeps on their side of the map farming.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I stopped playing offlane because I'd win a lane as centaur and be pretty tanky with a bunch of items, then stall out because I have no idea what to do after. I'd either sit on lane and get free farm but not much else, get 4-5 enemies constantly fighting me while the rest of my team doesn't take objectives so feed back all my gold/xp advantage, or like try to swap lanes with the pos 1 so they could go farm but they'd think I was there to fight and they'd sit around not getting any cs for the next 5 minutes waiting for the fight to happen

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Plank Walker posted:

I stopped playing offlane because I'd win a lane as centaur and be pretty tanky with a bunch of items, then stall out because I have no idea what to do after. I'd either sit on lane and get free farm but not much else, get 4-5 enemies constantly fighting me while the rest of my team doesn't take objectives so feed back all my gold/xp advantage, or like try to swap lanes with the pos 1 so they could go farm but they'd think I was there to fight and they'd sit around not getting any cs for the next 5 minutes waiting for the fight to happen

This lines up with my experience although I'm not convinced it's an offlane problem as much as it is a centaur problem.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I was gonna say, that's because you're playing Centaur Warunner.

He's maybe a bully in lane at best and then what? You ignore him in fights and he maybe stuns some people now and then.

What does he do that Slardar doesn't do better

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 9, 2023

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
taking the safelane tower is only half the battle. you need to invade that jungle, ward the camps, make the other carry's life miserable until they blame their teammates and you win.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

taking the safelane tower is only half the battle. you need to invade that jungle, ward the camps, make the other carry's life miserable until they blame their teammates and you win.

Exactly. You want the enemy carry to be mad at their team for not stopping you from invading their space, and the rest of the enemy team to be mad at their carry for feeding. The ideal victory is a game in which the enemy team all claim the game is 4v6 but none of them agree on who your team's sixth player is.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Plank Walker posted:

or like try to swap lanes with the pos 1 so they could go farm but they'd think I was there to fight and they'd sit around not getting any cs for the next 5 minutes waiting for the fight to happen

did you communicate with them that they should go farm or just expect them to do so when you showed up?

because if it's the former I would just leave if they weren't listening and if it's the latter I don't blame them at all for thinking you were rotating to help get a kill

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Yea I was gonna say, that's because you're playing Centaur Warunner.

He's maybe a bully in lane at best and then what? You ignore him in fights and he maybe stuns some people now and then.

What does he do that Slardar doesn't do better

This is all true but I just love levelling Double Edge and savaging the enemy melee carry in lane with it. Occasionally it even transitions over into midgame momentum!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
But... Armor reduction and bashes and non ult move speed buffs and river interaction and slimy pools of buffs and not relying on your enemy to hit you for reflect damage and true sight on corrosive haze and...

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 9, 2023

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

did you communicate with them that they should go farm or just expect them to do so when you showed up?

because if it's the former I would just leave if they weren't listening and if it's the latter I don't blame them at all for thinking you were rotating to help get a kill

i usually only rotate when they ask and suggest that they swap with me instead then they flame for farming as pos 3 so i eventually figure i may as well go to their lane because i can only sit on a t2 for so long solo even with a won lane

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

ILL Machina posted:

But... Armor reduction and bashes and non ult move speed buffs and river interaction and slimy pools of buffs and not relying on your enemy to hit you for reflect damage and true sight on corrosive haze and...

Slardar needs twice the farm as Centaur to have similar game impact. He’s easy to counterpick, too.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

He's just fun to use. One time I fragged a Slark thru his ult by double-edging the creeps that were next to us. Good or bad (usually bad), Centaur's a fun one.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Been playing some games as Pugna 4 after 7.34d. It's disgusting how fast he can push towers with the buff to Netherblast, holey moley. Even T2s and T3s go down very quickly when you do 220 extra damage every 4-5 seconds, it's near Leshrac levels of building DPS.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 10, 2023

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Geight posted:

He's just fun to use. One time I fragged a Slark thru his ult by double-edging the creeps that were next to us. Good or bad (usually bad), Centaur's a fun one.

I've been enjoying my time with slardar maybe I should give Centaur a go too

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Zeruel posted:

I've been enjoying my time with slardar maybe I should give Centaur a go too

Folks are probably right that Slardar is a better hero currently, having a good right click to build around will give you more direct control over the outcome of the game, but that's way less fun than walking away from a fight with 1 hp because you knew one more Double Edge would do the trick. :black101:

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
I don't know if I have posted in here before about this exact issue, but has anyone had insanely long queue times and do you know what to do about it? I haven't played in like 6 years so maybe that's the problem, but it takes two entire hours to find an unranked match on USE/USW and ten minutes to find a role queue.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Cant speak for use/w specifically, but there is/was a bug where it would sit on confirming match forever and never actually load in. Havent experienced it for a couple of weeks so it might be fixed now.

Are you queuing all pick? The other draft types are way less popular which will lead to long queues.

I play on aus/sea, exclusively ranked roles, and my queue is rarely over 5 minutes.

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Are you queuing all pick? The other draft types are way less popular which will lead to long queues.

Yeah I was trying AP, regular and turbo at the same time.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I queue near instantly a lot which sucks because sometimes I change my mind about actually feeling like playing half the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

What's your mmr? That doesn't seem right at all.