Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't know what to think of people like Jim Semivan. To the Stars Academy is bizarre, but it also drew people like Lue Elizondo and Chris Mellon.

Before all the TTSA stuff (pretty sure) Grant Cameron was talking to Jim Semivan and ranting Grant Cameronishly about portals and quantum jumps and I think maybe a humanoid alien like Valiant Thor? And I just wrote it all off and wrote off Grant Cameron as some guy working his own angle on the UFO convention circuit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

blatman posted:

taking massive bong rips while ur mic is open

hold on the boss is dead and we're doing loot, time to eat fistfuls of corn nuts

that sound was just my humidifier honest

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rickshaw posted:

yeah the highly targeted language of all the bills so far is the biggest indication that there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than is generally acknowledged. In the past I attributed this all to Chris Mellon but surely there's more to it.

In fact yesterday I was thinking back to that Obama video/interview where he refers to UAPs being unidentified and "not having an easily identifiable pattern" or something like that. The way he phrased it made it clear he was putting the general UAP business into his own words, and I'm sure he wasn't just getting that from listening to podcasts with Lue. Hence he was briefed at some point, presumably about the "observables", hence someone with the president's ear takes the subject seriously. And this was several years ago.

The first couple of amendments added to the defense authorization bills were definitely Mellon. This latest one is extremely specific and is basically exactly what you would write if you heard Grusch's testimony and believed it, although Mellon is certainly still working behind the scenes as well. And like I said Schumer would never in a million years do that based on only one person's testimony no matter how compelling so he definitely got corroborating testimony.

Ex presidents still get security briefings and can even request them on specific information. I'm sure when this all broke in the open it would have been part of those or he asked although he definitely would have only gotten the high level "these are the observables and we've been seeing them in these places and don't know what they are" version and not the stuff Grusch is claiming.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The real question is how many get briefed while they take a massive poo poo with the stall door open.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

euphronius posted:

did you all know about https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Eady

she was a reincarnated Egyptian who was born in England.

big ol e/n post incoming to provide context for why your timing is of this link is very ontological.

quote:

Her Sunday school teacher requested that her parents keep her away from class, because she had compared Christianity with "heathen" ancient Egyptian religion.[4]

Religion having divided me from my father so deeply when I was younger, it was something we always avoided talking about when we eventually began carefully repairing our relationship a few years ago. This year I visited on his birthday and since I don't actually know any things he really likes besides camping, and Jesus, I sort of bought him some Christian themed gifts, or at least as close as I could get to offering Christian themed gifts while still feeling comfortable about it. I am a lifelong avid reader just like he is, so I found interesting books at used book stores: an illustrated New Testament in Chinese, some collected scriptures from the Harvard alumni catalog, a candle with a scent referencing Narnia. After he unwrapped them we talked a little about religion. When I was fifteen or sixteen and he first really realized I was serious about believing in the Egyptian Gods he told me it would be better I be an atheist. That will not sound like much to many people but it was a lot to me and to him. So this talk was really important to me; I tried to express that I was sorry I do not believe the specific things he has always wanted me to believe, but in the same ways his religion has helped him through some rough times mine has always been what has helped me. I tried to express that we both believed in Divinity that valued truth, justice, and doing what was right, and it was central to how I now understood myself as an adult. I was grateful that I had been raised to believe in faith, and I told him that. It was a really nice visit. It felt healing for both of us.

Recently he inquired what I wanted for my own birthday and I asked if he would try reading a book for me: Paul Tillich's Dynamics of Faith. Shout out to BRD in the Religion Thread for recommending that one :) I read it myself this summer and it was really incredible to and for me. I had to that point always understood Christianity in only a very specific form: fundamentalist. Christianity but moreover, religion. Fundamental Christianity was the default "religion," certainly the default Christianity, synonymous with "faith." I have had beliefs my whole life. It wasn't until reading Tillich I was finally given permission to have faith, because Tillich's book defined faith as having an "ultimate concern." My Gods, my belief, my devotion to maintaining ma'at -- truth, justice, order, Right -- are absolutely my ultimate concern. That is what grasps me and what guides me. That is my faith. And for the first time in my life I felt like I was being told my faith was valid. Not a source of shame or secrecy or embarrassment -- and it has been all those things in my life, to varying degrees at various times. It has never felt cool or counterculture to believe in someone else's Gods. But the belief has never been a choice I made.

Anyway, having had that conversation earlier this year about how important religion was to the both of us, I expressed how I was feeling about Tillich's ideas on faith and asked if he would consider reading them so we could see if there was anything in there that he and I appreciated in common and might share as middle ground. I knew it was a big ask, but I was still disappointed when he replied with "how about a puppy?"

Evidently, although he did not read Tillich, he did read an essay explaining why Tillich was not a "real" Christian and his definition of faith, faith as "ultimate concern," is wrong. I know this because while the Tillich exchange was a month ago, today I received an email linking me to the essay (my boyfriend tells me that the source being Liberty University is a laughing matter) and a few sentences firmly agreeing that faith is not having any old ultimate concern, faith is belief in historical Jesus as literally represented in the Bible. Period.

Of course, by now, I have internalized enough of idea of a dynamic faith that I am still extremely comfortable feeling like what I call my faith is a faith and I am faithful. But I have had a little bit of an unhappy evening. I would like to think he does not realize the casual cruelty of invalidating that connection between us again, but I don't actually know if it's accidental or not and either way... I feel like I opened up my heart and got kicked in it, again. I have been having an awful lot of thoughts about the two polarities of my religious life being extremely modern Christianity and extremely ancient Kemetism and how hosed up it feels like it has made me and then I opened up the forums to look at UFO posts, saw Anpu's name, made a post as a special joke for myself, and then you posted that link in response. I have not gotten very far into your Wikimancy-ed article, on account of the sentence I quoted above almost immediately triggering an avalanche of emotion, but it was emotion I needed to feel and feel better for having cried out.

Truly, every struggle had been experienced by someone already before us, lol.

Thank you.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Oct 11, 2023

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
sorry you went through that, fundamentalism is really awful thing. my dad and I got in a huge fight during a beach trip because he wouldn't shut the gently caress up about William lane Craig. we were there because my aunt was dying and I felt really guilty bringing those bad vibes in. my dad later admitted to being "kind of a dick" and apologized but we don't talk about religion anymore because in that moment it became clear to me that it's what has kept him going through a lot of loss and any perception of invalidation will be met with extreme hostility. I don't know that these sorts of bridges can be built through fundamentalism. my dad and I get along just fine, but that topic's gotta stay taboo after a few too many incidents culminating in that last one. tread lightly, bird friend :)

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Having read that I just want to say the summoning Anubis thing was a joke about them doing a stereotypical woo tour and not a serious spiritual exercise. Didn't mean any offense or anything.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

Having read that I just want to say the summoning Anubis thing was a joke about them doing a stereotypical woo tour and not a serious spiritual exercise. Didn't mean any offense or anything.

Don't apologize to us, apologize to the heroes at SGC

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Slavvy posted:

I thought so too, but at the same time it's so broad and vague you can read practically anything into it
this is the real power doing personal readings in tarot, IMHO - it's a very old (relative to scientific fields) psychological tool for self-reflection!

the rest of the power comes from theatrics, setting, and superstitions, when dealing with simpler folk that need the right nudge or what-have-you. That said, I don't think I could have chosen a better set of cards to pull at that moment~! :shrug:

word association and rampant symbols go quite far as the mind explores possibilities - it's also why I'm a fan of the zodiac-sigil-laden artwork in the golden dawn cards.

Jazerus posted:

these accounts are kill on sight because they are the permabanned guy that sued jeff, we just have the admins perma them through the admin panel to avoid clogging the LC with several permabans every day. it is all one person and they don't sell the accounts or do chargebacks or anything like that
Sweet I was like 90% there from the reputation grind alone, and I didn't know the bit about covert permas..! :ninja: TY for your transparency, OP!

Lux Anima has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Oct 11, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

big ol e/n post incoming to provide context for why your timing is of this link is very ontological.

Religion having divided me from my father so deeply when I was younger, it was something we always avoided talking about when we eventually began carefully repairing our relationship a few years ago. This year I visited on his birthday and since I don't actually know any things he really likes besides camping, and Jesus, I sort of bought him some Christian themed gifts, or at least as close as I could get to offering Christian themed gifts while still feeling comfortable about it. I am a lifelong avid reader just like he is, so I found interesting books at used book stores: an illustrated New Testament in Chinese, some collected scriptures from the Harvard alumni catalog, a candle with a scent referencing Narnia. After he unwrapped them we talked a little about religion. When I was fifteen or sixteen and he first really realized I was serious about believing in the Egyptian Gods he told me it would be better I be an atheist. That will not sound like much to many people but it was a lot to me and to him. So this talk was really important to me; I tried to express that I was sorry I do not believe the specific things he has always wanted me to believe, but in the same ways his religion has helped him through some rough times mine has always been what has helped me. I tried to express that we both believed in Divinity that valued truth, justice, and doing what was right, and it was central to how I now understood myself as an adult. I was grateful that I had been raised to believe in faith, and I told him that. It was a really nice visit. It felt healing for both of us.

Recently he inquired what I wanted for my own birthday and I asked if he would try reading a book for me: Paul Tillich's Dynamics of Faith. Shout out to BRD in the Religion Thread for recommending that one :) I read it myself this summer and it was really incredible to and for me. I had to that point always understood Christianity in only a very specific form: fundamentalist. Christianity but moreover, religion. Fundamental Christianity was the default "religion," certainly the default Christianity, synonymous with "faith." I have had beliefs my whole life. It wasn't until reading Tillich I was finally given permission to have faith, because Tillich's book defined faith as having an "ultimate concern." My Gods, my belief, my devotion to maintaining ma'at -- truth, justice, order, Right -- are absolutely my ultimate concern. That is what grasps me and what guides me. That is my faith. And for the first time in my life I felt like I was being told my faith was valid. Not a source of shame or secrecy or embarrassment -- and it has been all those things in my life, to varying degrees at various times. It has never felt cool or counterculture to believe in someone else's Gods. But the belief has never been a choice I made.

Anyway, having had that conversation earlier this year about how important religion was to the both of us, I expressed how I was feeling about Tillich's ideas on faith and asked if he would consider reading them so we could see if there was anything in there that he and I appreciated in common and might share as middle ground. I knew it was a big ask, but I was still disappointed when he replied with "how about a puppy?"

Evidently, although he did not read Tillich, he did read an essay explaining why Tillich was not a "real" Christian and his definition of faith, faith as "ultimate concern," is wrong. I know this because while the Tillich exchange was a month ago, today I received an email linking me to the essay (my boyfriend tells me that the source being Liberty University is a laughing matter) and a few sentences firmly agreeing that faith is not having any old ultimate concern, faith is belief in historical Jesus as literally represented in the Bible. Period.

Of course, by now, I have internalized enough of idea of a dynamic faith that I am still extremely comfortable feeling like what I call my faith is a faith and I am faithful. But I have had a little bit of an unhappy evening. I would like to think he does not realize the casual cruelty of invalidating that connection between us again, but I don't actually know if it's accidental or not and either way... I feel like I opened up my heart and got kicked in it, again. I have been having an awful lot of thoughts about the two polarities of my religious life being extremely modern Christianity and extremely ancient Kemetism and how hosed up it feels like it has made me and then I opened up the forums to look at UFO posts, saw Anpu's name, made a post as a special joke for myself, and then you posted that link in response. I have not gotten very far into your Wikimancy-ed article, on account of the sentence I quoted above almost immediately triggering an avalanche of emotion, but it was emotion I needed to feel and feel better for having cried out.

Truly, every struggle had been experienced by someone already before us, lol.

Thank you.

Yeah sorry you have to contend with such things. I'm in the same boat, and its hard and painful as gently caress

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

your welcome 🙏

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I had a dream a couple of nights ago that I fell off my bike, due to being slightly pulled into the air. It was such a weird feeling that I decided to abandon my journey and instead ride my bike to my mum’s house to tell her about it. I got to within one street away and was completely sucked into the air and abducted by aliens (I don’t remember anything actually happening). Once they put me back on the street I figured the first time they had to weigh me so they could set their equipment up to properly abscond with me the second time. I picked my bike up out of the gutter and kept riding to my mums house. Once I got there and was trying to tell her what happened, I found myself unable to name the street that it occurred on. It’s a street I’ve ridden my bike on many many times so I was able to visualise the street sign starting from where the pole came out of the ground up to the flat bit with the letters on and then to mentally trace each letter until I could say the name out loud, at this point I was very proud of myself for working out how to read in a dream because I almost never can. So a brief moment of lucidity I guess. Actually now that I think about it my visualisation in the dream was a lot clearer than the dark foggy mess I have for visualisation when I’m awake.

Then I had to ride my bike to school, because now I was a student again. Everyone was coming back from school camp so there were kids all over the place waiting for parents to pick them up and I decided to help unpack some of the bags from the cars rather than being bored standing around. While I was doing that, one of the teachers announced “And now it is time to unpack the Dead.” - I realised that something sad but normal had happened, a bunch of kids had passed away for whatever reason on the school camp and were tidily piled up on the bus waiting to be unpacked and handed back to their families. I decided to help with that to spare any of my fellow students from being upset by it, but when I went out to look for the bus of the dead, I couldn’t find it, and when I turned back to go to my classroom once more, I couldn’t find that either. I looked into the windows of the classrooms I could see, and everyone was much younger than me (of course) and I didn’t recognise the rooms or the people any more. An older student approached me while I was lost and offered me one of the last two lemon chewy candies that she had left and we stood in perplexed silence eating them and then I woke up.

And last night I think I dreamed about being at school, yet again, but I don’t remember it very well.

Anyone any good at dream interpretation? I usually dream about stuff relating to things I’ve read or that I’ve been thinking about, so falling off my bike and so on makes sense to me but I haven’t thought about or dreamed about being 10 for a long time.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah sorry you have to contend with such things. I'm in the same boat, and its hard and painful as gently caress

Yeah, same. Everytime you think you might actually be reaching them and then at the last second they swerve hard to the right and break your heart again. Lucy and the football, in perpetuity.

At this point I'm done trying though, he'll never really, properly love or respect me, it just suits his ego to pretend as if he did or could. I just pretend to get on with the person in my life who does this to me for the sake of the other person in my life who lives with them and wants everyone to Just Get Along (who I also just discovered really hosed me over, though at a time when I was too young to remember)

Anyway, yeah. I'm really sorry, LAB, it really hurts getting wounds reopened like that :sympathy:

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 10:23 on Oct 11, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

sharknado slashfic posted:

:glomp: there is no need to apologize :) jokes about the deities are definitely one of those things I have had to learn to have a thick skin about, but you naming Anubis specifically was extremely good and impactful for me in that moment.

Thank you for all of the kindnesses expressed here, friends, and I am sorry for how many people have dealt with such similar people / family dynamics :( Allow me to express again how happy and grateful I am to have been accepted into this thread family. It is a much better one than the ones we were initially dealt :)

:glomp:

here is a pigeon telling me about all his dreams last night (sound for pigeon sounds)
https://i.imgur.com/iiKLeKE.mp4

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 11:46 on Oct 11, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I wish there was an easy way to find all of the images like this that got tweeted, there were some good ones. And that chick with the ba-BOOM ga-WOOO-ga

Carp
May 29, 2002

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

here is a pigeon telling me about all his dreams last night (sound for pigeon sounds)
https://i.imgur.com/iiKLeKE.mp4

That sound goes straight to your heart. What love! The movements are also mesmerizing. Is that a normal bird handling motion or a special rapport you guys have developed? I noticed it in the other videos, as well.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Carp posted:

That sound goes straight to your heart. What love! The movements are also mesmerizing. Is that a normal bird handling motion or a special rapport you guys have developed? I noticed it in the other videos, as well.

I love his sounds, they really do soothe my heart :lovebird: the way the pigeon likes to be pet is unique to him so far as my experience with other kinds of birds is concerned but might be something his people enjoy in general. All those feathers around/under his ruff are so soft and mobile -- they're the ones you see pigeons inflating when they are strutting around being absurd -- and he spends a lot of time trying to lure me over to come handle him/them. He really likes snuggling into my hands and just whirring away for as long as I will let him. I think it feels safe.

Pigeon wondering why I am just standing there filming him instead of offering pets

https://i.imgur.com/BQWrteA.mp4

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Oct 11, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know why the popular fundamentalist strain of American Christianity has lost most of its connection to mystery.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

euphronius posted:

I don’t know why the popular fundamentalist strain of American Christianity has lost most of its connection to mystery.

The evangelicals I grew up with were pretty typical and believed in the power of prayer, prophecy, speaking in tongues, the antichrist, the rapture, tons of mysterious stuff. It was just that it was also wrapped up in a lot of hatred and hostility. For a long time I was very NDT-brained because that was the path that allowed me to escape those ideas.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Oct 11, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Stoca Zola posted:

“And now it is time to unpack the Dead.”

Stoca Zola posted:

Anyone any good at dream interpretation?

end days :hmmyes:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The Dead are still among us

why aren't we unpacking them

we need to unpack them

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

I wish there was an easy way to find all of the images like this that got tweeted, there were some good ones. And that chick with the ba-BOOM ga-WOOO-ga

'that chick' is lue's wife, have some respect

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The Dead are still among us

why aren't we unpacking them

we need to unpack them

these unboxing videos have taken a new, disturbing direction

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
got banned from youtube for trying the ultimate unboxing: trepanning my cranium livestream

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

They should honestly be the first ones to go to psychedelics

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
new big foot sighting in Colorado

https://twitter.com/metastudiologic/status/1711932890391654435

someone ask the peanutties if that's one of their buds

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like a hunter in one of those dumb ghillie suits they wear

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's a big foot

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

literally a harry henderson costume

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The Saucer Hovers posted:

that movie was based on the real big foot

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

b'futti

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

'that chick' is lue's wife, have some respect

sombering

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

i don't know how anyone could look at that and see anything other than incontrovertible proof of bigfoot live in the flesh here on earth

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i think big foot is a fae creature, do not eat any food it gives you or you may be trapped within the fae realm

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I'm concerned this may be some lewd term of the alien language

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

fun trivia: the hendersons lived in wallingford

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

got banned from youtube for trying the ultimate unboxing: trepanning my cranium livestream

extremely Egon voice: "and it would have worked if you hadn't stopped me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

blatman posted:

i think big foot is a fae creature, do not eat any food it gives you or you may be trapped within the fae realm

seems like a good deal if you want to live among the fae lol