Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Scarabrae posted:

it’s loving 9/11 all over again, if you aren’t with us (genocide lovers) then you (people with critical thinking skills) are against us

Remembering things is thought crime, citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

panic! at the apartheid vigil

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/10/dozens-injured-after-stampede-at-university-of-florida-vigil-for-israel-00120867

quote:

“It was a moving and beautiful evening,” leaders of Chabad UF and Hillel UF said in a combined statement.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
https://twitter.com/TOIAlerts/status/1711950391578141134

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I found the following explanation amusing, though idgaf about "biblical history" until the Incarnation.

The chariot nobles who ruled the Canaanite city states had long been oppressing the nomads and peasants of the surrounding hills and deserts. Many ended up leading a bandit existence dodging the chariots. The politics of city states dominated by overbearing aristocrats being what it is, ousted nobles and rebels ran away to lead a fugitive life among the bandits. Together they formed bands of guerrilla fighters known as Habiru, who were readily hired as mercenaries. This became a widespread movement spreading through Canaan, Syria and Phoenicia. Israelites who had fled from Egypt formed their own tribal warbands. Akhenaten’s regime was unconcerned as to whether or not the Habiru managed to capture a city from the maryannu aristocrats as long as whoever was in charge recognised Pharaoh’s supremacy. Akhenaten may even have been sympathetic to the religious movement spreading among the Habiru: a belief in one supreme god.

Ultimately David, who began as a mercenary leader of a Habiru warband in service with the “Philistines” (Pelasgian cities of the coast), captured the Canaanite city of Jerusalem and established a new kingdom in Canaan. Egypt, locked in war with the Hittites had no need to interfere in the rise of this useful buffer state, indeed, the Pharaoh made an alliance with David’s successor, Solomon. It was not until the Israelite kingdom split up that the Pharaoh began to intervene in this region.

IIRC the 'habiru = hebrew' theory has largely fallen out of favor

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

are these numbers real

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

drat hes good

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Thanks FF and mdemone for the book recs.

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

why is Celtics pronounced sell-ticks

is that the correct pronunciation???

It came into English from French so pronounced like you say with the soft C then more recently there was a movement to reflect it's Latin and ultimately Greek roots so it was changed to a hard C like a K in more academic discourse but the soft C has stuck around for sports fans and the like.

D2I

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Real Mean Queen posted:

This is something that's been bugging me for a few days now, what the gently caress is a peace festival? Like, if this is a household phrase that refers to a concept we're all familiar with, which it must be since we're all saying it now, what are some other well-known examples? What does a peace festival do, and in what ways it different enough from existing kinds of gatherings to need a new title?

It's like in the states with the Flag Waves and Free Speech Rallies, these aren't real things, just weird euphemisms for existing concepts designed to sound maximally angelic

learn what plur is, normie

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

CODChimera posted:

drat hes good

always has been....

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

are these numbers real

Well in the area Israel claims as it's territory more people than that have died...

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

are these numbers real

citing the Israeli military so absolutely.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
so just to recap everythinf israel saud about massacres and partigoers has been proven to be a lie and hamas did nothing wrong

DTI DTI DTI

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my feeling is of course no one should be killing civilians on either side, but what is happening is the inevitable result of over 75 years of occupation

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

actionjackson posted:

my feeling is of course no one should be killing civilians on either side, but what is happening is the inevitable result of over 75 years of occupation

lets not get crazy here. lets not go loving nuts. lets not fly off the deep end ok. calm down actionjaction.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i support our brave and probably really young hamas freedom fighters

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
The IDF keeps releasing rosters of soldiers killed.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

my reading is literally death to israel

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i hate the Brave New World future

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

err posted:

this is their way of covering up the scale of the disaster inflicted on the IDF, they wont admit to all of it ar once but on a trickle to make it seem smaller

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

err posted:

rip bozos

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the idf blew that one up last week, sixteen pinocchios

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

err posted:

deadlier to nazi lieutenant colonels than nuremberg

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Hilario Baldness posted:

Like loving clockword

Bombs Away Lind-say

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

what a relief

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
IDF is the 2nd most moral army in Israel

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
lol Hamas thought they were going to quickly slip out of the fence, grab some civilians and run back to Gaza.. instead they invaded three or four times as much territory as Ukraine has re-captured in 4 months and hostaged or killed like a dozen senior IDF generals

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BearsBearsBears posted:

I wonder what inspired the Israelis to name their tank the Merkava/Chariot.

In the bible at least there's mention of Judah's people having God with them and hence they won battles, but also one group had chariots of iron so they could not be beat. Dunno if there's an equivalent story in the Judaean canon of godstopping vehicles.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
IDF toll passes 170, excluding the 40ish police

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fanfic insert posted:

IDF is the 2nd most moral army in Israel

is the first hezbollah or hamas

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i say swears online posted:

is the first hezbollah or hamas

The CIA

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Starsfan posted:

lol Hamas thought they were going to quickly slip out of the fence, grab some civilians and run back to Gaza.. instead they invaded three or four times as much territory as Ukraine has re-captured in 4 months and hostaged or killed like a dozen senior IDF generals

you love to see it!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
They are just gonna completely wipe out the strip and most governments will shrug their shoulders

https://twitter.com/AlarabyTV/status/1711965966597308632

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

IDF toll passes 170, excluding the 40ish police

*crunching math in a green accountant visor with a cigar chomped into my mouth, pulling a big adding machine crank* hole smokolas, that's like 100,000 of ARE TROOPS and 40,000 of ARE BOYS IN BLUE

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

i think the funniest answer to this is probably crimea but ill hear your pitches

galicia lviv oblast

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
multiple of the recently announced kia are from israeli special forces units, including a major from the sayeret matkal deltaforce equivalent

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Death By The Blues posted:

Gaza may only have hours of electricity left from their sole power providing company

https://twitter.com/AJArabic/status/1711955024811614708

Well Israel has been doing plenty of work to ensure that no hospital or school is left to go without power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i wonder how many of the dead idf troops are dying in car crashes or bar fights like how us troops die all the time