Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I wonder if Israel has blown up that Nimrod commander guy yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

i say swears online posted:

is the first hezbollah or hamas

Oh poo poo Hezbollah is in Israel? I just woke up didn't know. I guess IDF is 3rd then

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Popy posted:

i support our brave and probably really young hamas freedom fighters

its like if you crossed the knockout game and the holocaust

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
I hate that for decades all of this has happened in my name and that literally no one with any power seems to want to listen to folks like me, to tell them to stop doing this violence in my name.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fanfic insert posted:

Oh poo poo Hezbollah is in Israel? I just woke up didn't know. I guess IDF is 3rd then

lol that was the joke, willing an invasion into existence. there have been a couple infiltration teams i guess but nothing institutional

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

multiple of the recently announced kia are from israeli special forces units, including a major from the sayeret matkal deltaforce equivalent

special, huh....

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

lol is this going to be like after 9/11 where every dipshit from a town of 350 people thinks their Big Lots is being targeted by al'qaeda?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

IDF toll passes 170, excluding the 40ish police

wheres this from?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lpzie posted:

special, huh....

when the idf say they draft everyone, they mean they draft everyone

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lpzie posted:

special, huh....

heh. *pulls rip chord on paraglider engine*

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
seems like a platoon of the golani brigade got taken out judging by the recent casualty list, as well as some squads from maglan and sayeret matkal. those units wouldnt have been sleeping on the job in barracks right by gaza so i think it indicates that the idf continued taking a lot of heat even after the initial attack

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

*gently tugs the wartime paraglider cord*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Will Stancil keeps posting about "nothing can justify the massacre of women and children and leftists are bad for making excuses for it" and it's not even fun to dunk on or get mad at because it's nothing but the pure tedium of Not Getting It.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Will Stancil keeps posting about "nothing can justify the massacre of women and children and leftists are bad for making excuses for it" and it's not even fun to dunk on or get mad at because it's nothing but the pure tedium of Not Getting It.

look as long you can't justify what the bad guys did, you can justify anything the good guys do

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

RadiRoot posted:

wheres this from?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/idf-names-another-14-slain-soldiers-bringing-military-death-toll-to-170/

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

look as long you can't justify what the bad guys did, you can justify anything the good guys do

look man, the only other solution is that both acts are wrong and bad, and exist in a tapestry of complex violent flareups and matrices of oppression that have overwhelmingly favored the establishment of white settler jews at the death, misery, and dehumanizing slaughter of arabs, and wanting the material driver of this loom to be destroyed forever and replaced with equanimous accord is PSYCHO THINK

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
hmm feels the West is about to do something very stupid because they think Russia is stretched too thin to help out Iran.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

going to sleep you failed me today but I expect this to be sorted tomorrow

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ItsBCJim/status/1711970546794303796?t=sk5Uh2IWOL79yi9dmExqdg&s=19

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat that went FAST

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
that was funny lol

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

like tears in the rain

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/yanisvaroufakis/status/1711842025484530028?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

this Suella braverman is a Class A nazi Officer

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

what did i miss

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

what was it

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Whatd it say lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

DancingShade posted:

Remembering things is thought crime, citizen.

We've always been at war with Middleeast Asia.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

smarxist posted:

I always wanted to set up an engine as an instrument

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i was expecting it to be more.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

I always wanted to set up an engine as an instrument

leave me alone, i'm high :(

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

Whatd it say lol

the gimli-legolas meme but the ukrainian-canadian ss guy and the 95 y/o israeli terrorist

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OctaMurk posted:

Whatd it say lol

quote:

Yaroslav Hunka: I never thought I'd get a standing ovation for my ethnic cleansing in the 1940s side by side with a zhid

Ezra Yachin: What about side by side with a friend?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
all this killing is bumming me out.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Frosted Flake posted:

There was a brilliant and well received book recently about how the Roman and Sassanian use of the Arabs in their proxy wars more-or-less created Islam and a common "Arab/Islamic" identity, from what had been scattered tribes. This mirrors events in Europe with the Saxons and Goths among others but "for some reason" the Arabs are left out of this while it became a cornerstone of English, French, German and Italian nationalism in the 19th century.

Essentially, the inflows of money and creation of organizational structures that came from continuous military employment created a very strong, capable group from scattered people, that began to identify as such. You can think of this as mirroring "hydraulic" civilizations, where the need to work collectively to manage the flooding of the nile and planting of crops created wealth, organization and identity among those who participated. The same would apply to rice cultivation and the great rivers of Asia. In this case, it was a veritable river of silver flowing from the two rival empires that everyone organized around.

Negotiating with the empires created something like collective bargaining, and a keen awareness that while "they" were unified, "we" were divided and could be undercut. This was even more apparent because some Arab tribes were employed by the Arabs and some by the Persians on opposing sides of their various wars. Furthermore, and this is the crux of it, Arabia was divided along religious lines also, with Christianization penetrating unevenly and not really meeting the societal need at the historical moment. Paganism was divisive because of local and tribal gods, it was impossible to create a consensus. Zoroastrianism was tied to practices firmly fixed at certain sites outside Arabia and so was inaccessible. Judaism had made inroads on both sides of the Red Sea, but was non-evangelizing and had a few other problems that I can't recall at the moment that prevented it from being a unifying ideology.

That's the important thing, and why some argue that the Arabs did not "just" convert like the Franks, Bulgars, Magyars and Saxons. Why would this "barbarian" confederation that became stronger and stronger through Roman employment until eventually sweeping in Roman lands not adopt Christianity? Well, some historians believe they wouldn't be able to when you look at what was happening in the region.

See, the Arabs were looking for a unifying ideology, but Christianity in the eastern Mediterranean was bitterly divided into competing orthodoxies and heresies that fought wars as frequently and as bitterly as those between Roman and Persian. To an outsider looking in, even if they liked some of what they saw, how could they agree on what to convert to? Iconoclasm or Iconodulism? Monophysitism or Miaphysitism (or neither!)? They needed a simple belief that could unite all of the people together as an Ummah.

I testify that there is no deity but God, and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God.

Pre-Islamic Arabia: Societies, Politics, Cults and Identities during Late Antiquity

This book delves into the political and cultural developments of pre-Islamic Arabia, focusing on the religious attitudes of the inhabitants of the Arabian Peninsula and its northern extension into the Syrian desert. Between the third and the seventh century, Arabia was on the edge of three great empires (Iran, Rome and Aksūm) and at the centre of a lucrative network of trade routes. Valentina Grasso offers an interpretative framework which contextualizes the choice of Arabian elites to become Jewish sympathisers and/or convert to Christianity and Islam by probing the mobilization of faith in the shaping of Arabian identities. For the first time the Arabians of the period are granted autonomy from marginalizing (mostly Western) narratives framing them as 'barbarians' inhabiting the fringes of Rome and Iran and/or deterministic analyses in which they are depicted retrospectively as exemplified by the Muslims' definition of the period as Jāhilīyah, 'ignorance'.

What's CATO wife's take on the I/P war?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

RadiRoot posted:

i was expecting it to be more.

why would you expect it to be more, thats already a pretty big number. 50% more than hezbollah got in the month-long 2006 war where every concluded that they kicked the idf's rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

lmfao