Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Absolutely freaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

one upshot of plugin hybrids is that you can charge them from a normal outlet overnight, don’t really need to worry about dedicated charging infrastructure

doesn’t help for street parking or an apartment complex unless you get lucky and find a nearby outlet, but when i’ve stayed with family or at an airbnb with a driveway and stuff like that, i can always charge. and of course i can always just drive it like it’s a slightly less efficient prius if need be.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Three Olives posted:

I mean it tells me that I don't get enough sleep and sends me notices like this:

So I'm guessing they are not great but they seem to be happening with reliable frequency and mutual satisfaction so I would prefer not being thrown into additional anxiety from my general state of anxiety by my bed about the vigorous of them.

That's a long way to say No, it does not. You're prime customer potentia for OP-grade IoT sex mattress tracking. Unless you want to miss out?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Zero VGS posted:

Young people in large cities live in apartment buildings often with only street parking and/or lovely electrical grids, meaning they have no place to plug in at night. Go tell me how many public charging stations you can find in, oh, say, Lynn Massachusetts. They can gas up the Ford Edge or they can yell at the Tesla hogging the only charger in 20 miles. One well-off gay to another, you have a serious case of D.I.N.K. brain.

Basically every large-ish major city in the US that isn't Chicago, Seattle, Boston, NY or SF is extremely car based and basically everyone with decent income has private parking. Basically every new luxury apartment development being built in Dallas is being built with EV charging and there are a huge number of signal family homes within like 8 miles of the city center that are being overrun by young professionals spending like $400k on a 1,100 sqft house that needs a shitload of work. Not to mention all the very nearby cities that are also rapidly increasing in wealth that have 3 car garages for every home.

Basically only the upper-middle class can afford to buy a new car now and the uptake of EVs within that crowd is massive with tons of potential.

EVs will trickle down soon enough, in the mean time there is more than enough demand.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Three Olives posted:

basically everyone with decent income has private parking

So there might be a bit of a hitch with how the US is right now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bad Purchase posted:

one upshot of plugin hybrids is that you can charge them from a normal outlet overnight, don’t really need to worry about dedicated charging infrastructure

doesn’t help for street parking or an apartment complex unless you get lucky and find a nearby outlet, but when i’ve stayed with family or at an airbnb with a driveway and stuff like that, i can always charge. and of course i can always just drive it like it’s a slightly less efficient prius if need be.

It would be sweet if every parking garage space had a 120 outlet. EV users could get some modest charge, and OP could plug in a desk fan, I'm sure he could use it.

OP: I know you said your work has showers but I promise your coworkers can smell the sedanlife stink permeating your clothes. All that ramen residue reek really starts to saturate the car after a while. Unless you keep each change in like a clothing vacuum ziplock, and bring them into the work shower, coworkers are gonna know you're homeless after a good whiff.

Three Olives posted:

every new luxury apartment development being built in Dallas

Can you hear your inner monologue before your fingers type it out? No normal loving person lives in those. It's some elaborate tax scam. They're populated entirely by Roombas. gently caress's sake.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
What happens when your fun little chipped flat four spins a bearing and starts knocking... where will you live?

Why aren't you living in a legacy gt or a gr Corolla or something

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Three Olives posted:

I mean it tells me that I don't get enough sleep and sends me notices like this:

So I'm guessing they are not great but they seem to be happening with reliable frequency and mutual satisfaction so I would prefer not being thrown into additional anxiety from my general state of anxiety by my bed about the vigorous of them.

I thought high hrv was bad (all this techbro "order all the tests" biohacking poo poo is nonsense and doesn't benefit anyone except the charlatans shilling it)

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Three Olives posted:

EVs will trickle down soon enough, in the mean time there is more than enough demand.

No, there is not "more than enough demand"

Also, lol at EVs "trickling down" when the batteries' lifespan is dogshit. Can't wait to buy a ten-year-old ev that either needs a $20k battery pack or gets 50% of its original max range.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Gas and go, not plug and wait!

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah that didn't hold value on merit, it's because it's the only non-lease fuel cell passenger car in the United States and there's maybe 1000 still kicking around. It's a collector's item for Fool Cell Perverts. Congrats you're still in the black on it, but when you get to like a year left on the warranty you better be running to find a buyer.

You realize that the Honda Clarity isn't only available as a FCV, right?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Hydrogen? As in the same stuff that blew up the Hindenburg? Doesn't seem safe to me.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Eclipse12 posted:

Also, lol at EVs "trickling down" when the batteries' lifespan is dogshit. Can't wait to buy a ten-year-old ev that either needs a $20k battery pack or gets 50% of its original max range.

Very few EVs with properly cooled battery packs see a 50% degradation over 10 years. You can find plenty of Model S with 10 to 20% degradation at 10 years.

You'll find plenty of leafs at 50% range, but that's because their batteries are in a sealed box with no way to get heat out

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

numberoneposter posted:

Hydrogen? As in the same stuff that blew up the Hindenburg? Doesn't seem safe to me.

We need helium powered cars

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Triikan posted:

We need helium powered cars

Fusion powered cars when?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Fusion powered cars when?

it's only 30 years away

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you can build a fusion powered kit car now, nothing is stopping you in america land of the free

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

coincidentally 30 years away, indefinitely, is probably also the timeline on the city I live in getting electric car infrastructure that makes them make sense for anyone that lives in a house worth less than $800k

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Eclipse12 posted:

quote:

The Audi Q4 e-tron, Q8 e-tron and GMC Hummer EV SUV are currently sitting at inventory that’s easily over 100-day supply. The Ford Mustang Mach-E is at a 117-day supply, although Ford says it expects a surge in demand in the coming months. We’ll see. The Genesis Electrified G80 currently comes in with the longest day supply at 350 days. In fact, the South Korean carmaker has managed to sell only 18 of the sedans within the first half of 2023. The luxury EV’s roughly $82,000 sticker price may have something to do with that, as well as the car’s ineligibility for federal tax credits given its high price.

Those are really specific problems, the Q4 started cannibalizing Q8 sales and then the Q5 went after both of them, they are also expensive with confusing optioning. The Hummer, dear lord, that is a $110,000 crime against humanity, the GV80 high-end luxury SUV that doesn't qualify for any tax credits and the Mach-E, Ford did a really lovely job with allocations and made way to many GTs that aren't selling at all. Also Ford dealers are actively not trying to sell them in a huge fight with Ford over the EV dealership model with many dealerships still marking them up to outrageous prices even though the supply chain has smoothed out.

Also there is little chance that the batteries are going to degrade 50% over 10 years, I think everyone is warranting their batteries for 8 years at 70% capacity and one of the issues with cost and supply chain is they are really putting batteries that are significantly larger than they should be in almost everything.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Even if 50% was expected at 10 years, a 100 mile range Bolt would be a perfectly usable car. I’d take that over a 10 year old gas Sonic that you’re not sure is going to turn over in the morning

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Will the mattress be able to maintain full inflation or is it a yearly depression

Is it possible to connect the AI mattress with my AI girlfriend. And will the mattress take the shape of a couch if the AI girlfriend is mad at me?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

God loving dammit, we had a perfectly good thread, and someone had to go let Three Olives in.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Three Olives posted:

Those are really specific problems, the Q4 started cannibalizing Q8 sales and then the Q5 went after both of them, they are also expensive with confusing optioning. The Hummer, dear lord, that is a $110,000 crime against humanity, the GV80 high-end luxury SUV that doesn't qualify for any tax credits and the Mach-E, Ford did a really lovely job with allocations and made way to many GTs that aren't selling at all. Also Ford dealers are actively not trying to sell them in a huge fight with Ford over the EV dealership model with many dealerships still marking them up to outrageous prices even though the supply chain has smoothed out.

Also there is little chance that the batteries are going to degrade 50% over 10 years, I think everyone is warranting their batteries for 8 years at 70% capacity and one of the issues with cost and supply chain is they are really putting batteries that are significantly larger than they should be in almost everything.

:what:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Someone shoot me because I agree 1,000% with the guy living in his trunk in order to support a malware air mattress that watches you gently caress.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

null_pointer posted:

Someone shoot me because I agree 1,000% with the guy living in his trunk in order to support a malware air mattress that watches you gently caress.

Dallas Metro Affluenza is a potent disease

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Sedan Hussein

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
OP, how many kilowatt hours is the battery in the bed? Can I power my house from it?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

null_pointer posted:

God loving dammit, we had a perfectly good thread, and someone had to go let Three Olives in.

Lets goon fund me a ticket to Dallas or wherever the gently caress he lives so I can poo poo in his AI powered coffee maker

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Saalkin posted:

Lets goon fund me a ticket to Dallas or wherever the gently caress he lives so I can poo poo in his AI powered coffee maker

you don't want to go to Dallas saalkin

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Ev cars suck poo poo more than regular cars because they are are still cars, but are all driven by some real piece of poo poo dbags.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Saalkin posted:

keep talking about the stuff he wastes money on so he posts more pics. i heard he has a cheap wallet that only a poor piece of poo poo would use. it can't even hold his credit cards. prove me wrong bitch. i bet his ssn is stupid too

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

null_pointer posted:

we had a perfectly good thread, and someone had to go let Three Olives in.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Can I link my credit card to the AI bed to unlock pay-per-minute Magic Fingers Vibrating Bed mode?

Triikan posted:

You realize that the Honda Clarity isn't only available as a FCV, right?

Yeah but the PHEV model has piles of them selling for $15k so that doesn't add up so what they were saying. More that it backs up what I was saying that no one wants to be left holding the bag, as the prices fall sharply when they get near 100k miles. Way more sharply than you'd see on a typical Honda.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol at the new av

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Lol at the new av

This thread is a gift that keeps on giving.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

you don't want to go to Dallas saalkin

I'm willing to take one for the team

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

That av, lol

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Also, lol that people are okay with car losing even 20-30% of its travel distance in less than ten years. If an ICE gas tank just randomly shrank each year, people would be rightfully pissed. Imagine paying even modest money for an electric car that's past its battery warranty. You'd have to be batshit to even consider it.

Cars are headed down the same path as cell phones, appliances, and basically every other consumer electronic - the expectation that they won't last long and "upgrading" is just part of life. But hey, :capitalism:

ManaJerk
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!
Look at the silver lining, OP. At least your car isn't a VW Beetle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Can we get back to dunking on the OP?

Also, because I can’t let it go, can you imagine people accepting that an ICE car loses horsepower over time? Can you imagine somebody paying even a modest amount of money for a car whose engine only produces 70% of the power it did when new?