Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Look, we all watched the Simpsons and clearly what Homer does isn't that loving hard.

AITA for being honest with a woman who asked me out?

Yes. Yes, you dipshit.

Honesty without compassion is just cruelty.

There are two options: Lying entirely or just being a total jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Definitely lying. Posting for input about your personal life is already a big mark against the person asking for input and on top of the nature of his story calls for the whole Johnathan frakes montage

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Cerekk posted:

Used cars are more expensive now, but a 10 year old car with 100k miles on it right now is probably a pretty decent car that has another decade of useful life in it, whereas in the $2k used car era it was a rusted junker ready to spontaneously explode if you looked at it wrong.

I beg to differ. I have never spent more than $1000 on, like, six beaters I have bought over the years and put at least 10k kms on every one and sold every one running for what I paid. You just need to do a little research, and a little mechanical know-how doesn't hurt

Foo Diddley posted:

I 27M am confused why my 25F fiancé wants to move out for a little.

mmmaybe start looking for a smaller place, duder

did i say "maybe"? i meant "definitely"

oh yikes, imagine quiet quitting a LTR. I do know a couple who did this, lived together and then got separate places but they were also two of the most toxic people I have ever met.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

Who cares if the guy is well educated or well-trained or well read or not, describing someone as not well read in front of them is in pretty poor taste. If someone is feeling inadequate in a conversation you don't leap at the chance to underline the point so everyone can have a hearty laugh about it.

It's a social class distinction, though, isn't it? The point isn't about intelligence or whatever, the point was to highlight that he has a value system that isn't aligned with what the higher social classes value. You can get a high paying technical job based on on-the-job technical training, but if you've literally never read a book that you didn't get told to read, you aren't really in the same social class as the people you're trying to hang out with. So your wife makes you into a joke, even if you have a paycheck.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Huggybear posted:

oh yikes, imagine quiet quitting a LTR. I do know a couple who did this, lived together and then got separate places but they were also two of the most toxic people I have ever met.

i'm just trying to imagine moving out of my parent's house straight into my bf's place, and that's just what everybody expects my whole life to be. gently caress that

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The_Franz posted:

Apparently, the US Navy’s nuclear training program counts as 89 university credits.

How many credits is a typical US course? Because here that would be 3-4 undergraduate degrees with some left over for a minor or the start of your graduate studies.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

How many credits is a typical US course? Because here that would be 3-4 undergraduate degrees with some left over for a minor or the start of your graduate studies.

A 4 year degree would typically be 120 credits.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cerekk posted:

You need 15 months of fairly intensive technical training to work with the reactor on a sub (the guy in the story), but to work on a sub at all, you only need a high school diploma and 6 weeks of orientation-type training.

6 weeks to get onboard maybe, over a year to stay https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_Warfare_insignia

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ToxicFrog posted:

the holy poopacy posted:

A 4 year degree would typically be 120 credits.

And you usually get 3 credits per class/course

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

i'm just trying to imagine moving out of my parent's house straight into my bf's place, and that's just what everybody expects my whole life to be. gently caress that

I'm imagining my lifetime of finding roommates to still pay too much for a small bedroom and it seems objectively worse than my married friends owning houses' situations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I took Boilers & Boilers Lab (hands-on full boiler room simulator) from a professor who previously commanded a nuclear sub and who intimately understood both the operating procedures involved as well as all of the theory that underpinned it. A ton of the troubleshooting and operational choices you make in a steam plant come from having a fairly good grasp on a combination of thermodynamics, chemistry, and fluid properties, which is pretty critical when you have limited options in case of an emergency or breakdown. It's kinda silly to think that a guy doing engineering on a nuclear sub isn't educated.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

Stop doing this thing that's simultaneously useless but also so impressive that it puts everyone else to shame!

So how much of this is just mom being pissed that the poors are getting nice things?

Both OP and daughter work in private schools ("the owner says it's unnecessary"). It's one thing for a teacher to go out of pocket because they're the last line of defense for these students and politicians/voters can be lovely. It's not a thing that should happen but unfortunately circumstances can suck and we are all lucky that teachers can be as altruistic as they are. But to boost someone else's profits in a private business? She needs to stop and OP is right that she's undermining her coworkers to put more money in the owner's pocket.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

It's dumb and bad, but 99% of that poo poo is tax deductible for teachers. I wrote off pretty much everything I bought for my first classroom.

It's a deduction, not a credit - a 22% discount with the average teacher's marginal bracket if they're single, probably 12% if they're married. Better than nothing for sure, but at a whopping $36-$66 that's kind of a joke.

idiotsavant posted:

I took Boilers & Boilers Lab (hands-on full boiler room simulator) from a professor who previously commanded a nuclear sub and who intimately understood both the operating procedures involved as well as all of the theory that underpinned it. A ton of the troubleshooting and operational choices you make in a steam plant come from having a fairly good grasp on a combination of thermodynamics, chemistry, and fluid properties, which is pretty critical when you have limited options in case of an emergency or breakdown. It's kinda silly to think that a guy doing engineering on a nuclear sub isn't educated.

One of the smartest managers (in a field that has 0 to do with nuclear engineering) I've ever had previously worked as a nuclear sub engineer directly out of high school. Same as your professor, he intimately knew the physics behind the systems and was unflappable when things went wrong. But he was still an engineer first, and would freely admit that he had some gaps that come from a liberal arts education. OP went about the situation about as rudely as possible, but there's no lack of engineers who know their field in depth but aren't broadly "educated".

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 11, 2023

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Upgrade posted:

Don’t unbutton your pants in public???

You would think this is a simple thing, but there are multiple stories of people who get aggrieved/offended when told to wipe their arse after taking a poo poo every now and then.

So I suppose the moral is ... fat people can be just as gross, stupid and entitled as the rest of us.

Also, if you are having trouble breathing and need to unbutton your pants when sitting down, then an accusation of sexual harrassment is the least of your problems. Buy clothes that fit you, and wear them when you go to a doctor you creepy landwhale you.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

litany of gulps posted:

It's a social class distinction, though, isn't it? The point isn't about intelligence or whatever, the point was to highlight that he has a value system that isn't aligned with what the higher social classes value. You can get a high paying technical job based on on-the-job technical training, but if you've literally never read a book that you didn't get told to read, you aren't really in the same social class as the people you're trying to hang out with. So your wife makes you into a joke, even if you have a paycheck.

Sure. It's still pretty lovely to explicitly point that out and laugh at someone for it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITAH for suggesting my roommate move out because her asthma accommodations are ridiculous?

quote:

I (24F) own a home that I inherited from my grandmother.

It’s 3 bedroom 2 bathroom, and figured I could rent the extra bedroom I don’t use for cash on the side.

I spoke to a few applicants and I really liked Kate (25F). She seemed like a good personality fit. I asked during the meet and greet if she needed any special accommodations I need to be aware of and she said no.

However 2 days after moving in Kate drops a bomb on me saying she has a severe smell sensitivity/asthma and cannot have ANY candles or fragrance in the house. I was taken aback. I told her of course I’ll accommodate that, but I really wish she disclosed during the meet and greet since I’m a big fan of incense and candles and would’ve made plans beforehand to mitigate the smell.

Since then she has been policing every fragrance in the house which is really frustrating to me. She asked I don’t wear or even spray any perfume on myself in the home. She then tossed away my scented detergent because she could “smell it on my clothes and it gave her a migraine”.

She complained and threw out my scented hand soap, expensive lotion and body wash too. She tossed away my lightly scented cleaning supplies and even the old candles I stored.

I told her to just TELL ME instead of throwing everything away because it’s not okay to do that. She apologized but said she’s reminded me that no scent means no scent. I told her that I didn’t realize dishwasher tablets even had a scent. She said that sounded very back handed and petty.

Yesterday I was baking some cinnamon rolls in the oven and she came down yelling saying that she can’t “handle” the smell and asked I refrain from cooking anything like this again. She gave me a long list of other foods I’m apparently banned from making.

I finally had enough and said she’s acting like a lunatic. This is now going beyond simple accommodations. I told her I suggest she either learn to deal with it or find somewhere else to live because this is crazy.

Kate flipped out and said I’m discriminating her. It’s illegal and she can sue. I told her she’s just a control freak and I’m not going to be a doormat for it.

I told her if she wants to go down the legal route I’d be more than happy to go down to the courts and provide ALL the receipts for the cost of my stuff she’s thrown away.

She got quiet at that. She has been staying with her parents since and plans to move out soon, but has called me every name in the book.

AITAH?

apparently, the one smell that kate can stand is her own bullshit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Do it, sue OP for making cinnamon rolls :getin:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Send the parents some nice fresh cinnamon rolls in gratitude

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i bet they're pissed about having to convert their house back into a clean room, just when they thought they were done

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Foo Diddley posted:

AITAH for suggesting my roommate move out because her asthma accommodations are ridiculous?

apparently, the one smell that kate can stand is her own bullshit

quote:

... Yesterday I was baking some cinnamon rolls in the oven and she came down yelling saying that she can’t “handle” the smell and asked I refrain from cooking anything like this again. She gave me a long list of other foods I’m apparently banned from making...

Trying to tell someone else what they can and can't cook in their own house is about where I'd have told Kate to get hosed and probably start decorating exclusively in Yankee candles until she was gone.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for gifting my twins differently on their birthdays?

LOL at the edits!

OP posted:

Edit: A lot of people are saying I'm sexist & showing favoritism. I'd like to make clear that I'm not a sexist and I'm not intentionally trying to show favoritism. Although the value of their gifts may be a bit different, I did the best I could at finding a gift I thought they'd both enjoy based off their interests. My son had an interest in cars, my daughter had an interest in money so that's what they got. I thought $300 was a good portion and I didn't believe it had to be the same amount of money I was putting into the purchase of my sons car, as strictly handing out 10k to someone to spend on whatever they want is different to spending it on something that's actually needed.

Edit 2: I might just let my Daughter share a car with her mother, as my wife doesn't really drive or go anywhere that much. So when she isn't using it, my Daughter can just drive her car for the time being.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My daughter had an interest in money, so I gave her some spare coins I found in the couch

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Do it, sue OP for making cinnamon rolls :getin:

It would be entertaining to see her initial appointment with a lawyer where she finds out the ADA doesn't cover long term housing rentals in the first place, has a specific carve-out for owner occupied short-term rentals with less than 5 rooms, and doesn't apply to businesses with fewer than 15 employees.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Now I want some cinnamon rolls.

Evil Willow posted:

LOL at the edits!

I like how they can't even say 'I'm not showing favouritism', they have to acquiesce to 'I'm not intentionally trying to show favouritism'.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It would be entertaining to see her initial appointment with a lawyer where she finds out the ADA doesn't cover long term housing rentals in the first place, has a specific carve-out for owner occupied short-term rentals with less than 5 rooms, and doesn't apply to businesses with fewer than 15 employees.

Not to mention that the ADA, from what I understand, only mandates reasonable accommodations, and virtually nothing the roommate is demanding could be considered reasonable

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

OP went about the situation about as rudely as possible, but there's no lack of engineers who know their field in depth but aren't broadly "educated".

I mean that's the point tho - a nuclear engineer is absolutely educated in that they have learned and understand a bunch of academic theory that underpins their job. The kind of technical manuals they're reading aren't exactly IKEA assembly instructions, and reading tech manuals for equipment that is incredibly critical, complicated, and expensive generally requires a good understanding of the why behind it all. That he doesn't specifically have a "broad liberal arts education" doesn't mean that he isn't educated, and it's pretty lovely of his wife to present him as a high school ignoramus.

Like litany of gulps said, it's a social class exclusionary thing. Is his wife uneducated because she has no understanding of fluid dynamics and can't tell one end of a psychometric table from the other? Stupid distinctions.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

The_Franz posted:

You really haven't looked in a long time. $10k basically gets you a decent 10+ year old car now. You aren't getting anything that actually runs and/or passes whatever local inspection is required for $2k.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I just bought a spotless 2008 Subaru with 80k miles and it ran me around $11k. I'd be amazed if you could get a street-legal vehicle for under $5k in the US nowadays.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I was looking at used cars last year and anything under $5k was either 20+ years old or had 200k miles. I guess you could buy one of those if you were desperate but I doubt it'd hold out for very long, and good luck getting it to pass smog.

Jesus Christ, is it really that bad now? Obviously, this is anecdotal, but I only ever had one car not pass a check, and it was for an issue that it developed after I'd had it for 2 years. I got an '02 Corolla in late '18 for just under 2 grand. I know that was 5 years ago now :corsair:, but. It had a few minor issues, mostly cosmetic, but was more than street legal/safe and passed an E-check first try. I actually traded it in to a Toyota dealership a few months ago and I got just a little more for the Corolla than what I paid back then: I'm guessing either the parts were super useful to the Toyota dealership or inflation just leapt that much, in which case :stare:. Most cars I've owned were around '02 year models; only my current car was made after even '10 and that was because I promised my partner I'd trade in and get something a little newer now that I could reasonably afford to.

I've owned multiple cars with over 200k on them when I purchased them, and none of them had any significant issues that would've kept it from passing E-check. The only car I've owned that was a problem car was a Volkswagen, it actually had less than 200k on it, and the trouble with it was really because it was super expensive to upkeep with even minor repairs constantly being twice what I'd paid for my previous car. All my Toyotas were/have been more than sufficient for my needs (to/from work, groceries, the average day-to-day stuff, trips to see partner, occasional longer drives), even when purchased at 200k miles, to the point that they're my go-to make for getting a car now.

I know COVID and inflation hosed things up, but considering what I was able to get with horrid credit in '18, I am rather surprised that a reliable if older car that I spent 2k on then would cost 10k or more now to buy. Maybe region/state has a level of influence? I've lived in rural, suburban and urban Ohio areas in my adulthood. Or maybe it's because I've only wanted to buy sedans/smaller cars, and everyone around here seems to either want an SUV or an oversized pickup for the past 5+ years and I just got lucky for my area? Or maybe I really am just getting old now.

In my defense, that lower budget is also really meant for a younger driver (or someone who was basically broke like I was) since they're less experienced driving, so they don't total an expensive, nice car if they do something stupid (or if they just aren't experienced enough to react in time if someone else does). Plus, like I said, if the kid enjoys working on their car, they'll have plenty of small projects they will likely be able to do by themselves. Obviously don't get a screaming metal death trap, but a reliable older Toyota or similar make that had at least the basic safety kept in good shape will suffice for a kid, or at least it used to. If that flatout isn't available anywhere for at least under 5k anymore, then that's a damned shame, because I would've recommended that Corolla to literally any teenager, I loved that thing.

Inflation fuckin' sucks. :(

(Sorry if I missed something past these posts, still catching up and I'm slow tonight)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baron Zephyrus posted:

I actually traded it in to a Toyota dealership a few months ago and I got just a little more for the Corolla than what I paid back then: I'm guessing either the parts were super useful to the Toyota dealership or inflation just leapt that much, in which case :stare:

Yeah, that should have been a clue to the state of the used car market.

I doubt a comparable car would be going for 10k today, but 4-6k? Pretty easy. There may have even been a point where it would go for 10k, things have actually cooled down from the pandemic stimulus peak.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for ordering traditional Italian dishes at an Italian restaurant?

quote:

I (27M) love Italian food, my girlfriend (28F) is crazy for a good Bolognese, so we go to a lot of Italian restaurants. We're from Portugal btw

One day we decided to go to a slightly fancier restaurant, with a (I guess) prized chef.

Before booking the restaurant we saw the menu and everything was way too complex and not like the food we usually eat, but at the bottom it had a note saying "If you want a more traditional dish that's not on the menu, ask our waiter and if the chef has the ingredients, we'll make it". Great!

We got there, were sitted by a very polite waiter (Waiter 1) and then showed the menu by a different waiter (Waiter 2).

We saw the menu, but asked if it would be possible to get a simple Carbonara and a Bolognese. The waiter was kind of shaken, and pointed us to an expensive plate saying it was kind of like a Bolognese (I get it, it's his job to sell what they have) but we said we still wanted what we asked for. It made him visibly awkward and he asked why we came to that restaurant for just a Bolognese and Carbonara...

I was very upset that a waiter asked me why I wanted a specific, and apparently lesser dish and told him the menu said they made traditional dishes, so go ask the chef if he can make it.

Waiter 2 left, and we were left feeling very embarrassed and awkward. We asked Waiter 1 if it was normal to be asked why we wanted a specific dish and he seemed as surprised as us that the question was asked.

Couple of minutes later I see the chef come out of the kitchen and come towards us. I think "Well maybe he's come to apologize, how nice".

He arrives, introduces himself, welcomes us to his restaurant..... and asks... "Why did you come to (restaurant name) for just a Bolognese and a Carbonara?"

I lost my cool, got up, started saying this was ridiculous, was I on a prank show? I've never been asked this by a chef coming directly from the kitchen to talk down to me about what food I chose to eat!

He said that restaurant had won a lot of awards, asked me if I knew how a good Carbonara was made, that it wasn't like the rest of the restaurants made... I said YES, SO MAKE ME THE BEST CARBONARA IVE HAD!

He took us outside, maybe I was kind of making a scene (I was never disrespectful, just talked loudly) grabbing on the way a framed award he had hanged on the wall. Outside he showed us the award, said that that restaurant was very well renowned, said I was very young, and offered to take us inside and buy us the best meal we ever had, free of charge. By then we were too upset and embarrassed to eat there so we just left.

Most of the people I've told his story sided with me, but some have implied that I was in the wrong.... AITA?

Edit: Both Bolognese and Carbonara are Italian dishes and not American as some comments seem to think

Edit 2: Found a photo of the menu. Here's what the note literally says (Translated from Portuguese):

"If you want a dish from traditional Italian cuisine that is not on the list, please request it near our collaborators. If we have the ingredients we can cook it exclusively for you"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Not to mention that the ADA, from what I understand, only mandates reasonable accommodations, and virtually nothing the roommate is demanding could be considered reasonable

I also would have thought that since OP asked if there were any accommodations she needed to make, and was told "no", that Katie doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Also, if we assume that her sensitivity is real and not a bullshit power trip, (and I want to think the best), then life must suck for Katie. Getting migranes because of someone elses washing up liquid, or handsoap must make leaving the house a sensory nightmare. She has my unironic sympathies. That said, telling someone what they can and can't cook in their own kitchen whilst throwing away their stuff before even asking them not to use are the moves of a complete arsehole.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for ordering traditional Italian dishes at an Italian restaurant?

Someone on Reddit thinks they found the exact restaurant. Here's the English language menu.

https://comeprima.pt/ementas/ementa_en.pdf

On page 2 is this,

quote:

If looking for a dish that is not listed, please ask
at our collaborator if it is possible to prepare
exclusively for you.

They also say,

quote:

Unfortunately, It is not always possible to serve
Risotto. Please, confirm first with one of our
collaborator. Thank you.

Because they get slammed sometimes and risotto takes 25 minutes.

An important note from that menu, is: How picky an eater is OP if he can't find something he just has to try? There isn't a page where I'm not just torn to pieces over what I'd order.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

Someone on Reddit thinks they found the exact restaurant. Here's the English language menu.

On page 2 is this,

They also say,

An important note from that menu, is: How picky an eater is OP if he can't find something he just has to try? There isn't a page where I'm not just torn to pieces over what I'd order.

I mean... if they don't want to make it and will argue over it, that note should not be on the menu.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

OP asked if there were any accommodations she needed to make, and was told "no"

That was the point they lost any sympathy with me even if they have something real going on, like literally anything other than lying first and making demands later would be a better way of handling your own issues.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

mllaneza posted:

On page 2 is this,

They also say,

Everyone is an arsehole in this story.

OP for going out of his way to go to a fancy restaurant and then going "This poo poo is too fancy for me, I won't even try any of it. Give me a spag bol." And the snooty chef for not just making the Carbonara, (which when made by a starred chef would probably be awesome), and instead big noting his snootiness to random customers.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
He should have ordered spaghetti alla puttanesca

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

I mean... if they don't want to make it and will argue over it, that note should not be on the menu.

A Bolognese sauce takes a minimum of three hours; not on the menu, not happening. They might have been able to make a totally basic carbonara, but I don't see any cream sauces on that menu so they might not have the ingredients. OP admits that the chef told him that now he knows what OP likes he'll make him something tailored to his tastes. For free. That's an amazing opportunity, but OP gonna OP.

Four key words from the menu:

quote:

if it is possible

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

A Bolognese sauce takes a minimum of three hours; not on the menu, not happening. They might have been able to make a totally basic carbonara, but I don't see any cream sauces on that menu so they might not have the ingredients. OP admits that the chef told him that now he knows what OP likes he'll make him something tailored to his tastes. For free. That's an amazing opportunity, but OP gonna OP.

They used none of these reasonable words and reasons, unfortunately, they just acted like a bunch of weird cartoons.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Regardless of the policy, I don't understand the idea of going to a restaurant with the explicit intention of ordering something that isn't on the menu. Maybe just go to a restaurant that already makes the things you like?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I would be furious if I somehow learned that OP beat me out for the last table for two and then did this.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

mllaneza posted:

Good point on the bolognese, and for the carbonara they have cream in other pasta dishes but I don't see guanciale anywhere on the menu so that's out the window, too. They have plenty of good, simple pastas tho so idk why dude is crying about not getting carbonara. TBH it sounds like some dopey flyover state couple going on vacation and getting mad that the menu is in another language, because most of that menu is pretty easy to translate and none of it seems crazy complicated.

I did have a similar experience at a local bar that's a casual offshoot of a Michelin starred place. They have a bunch of special bar specific cocktails but I asked the bartender for a regular cocktail. They had all the ingredients for it and that he absolutely should have known how to make it, but he got all bent out of shape that I wasn't ordering one of their house cocktails instead. But like... dude, wtf is wrong with wanting a really well made classic cocktail? And wtf kind of bullshit bartender are you that you're mad about making customers a drink? So fuckin weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The guy's assholery is pretty clearcut, he went to a place he literally knew didn't have what he wanted and asked for it. But the way everyone else handled it is just so bizarre. They had a perfectly good reason for it, why did they just not say it and waste the chef's time (and almost his money) instead?