Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

LPG Giant posted:

Kind of a frame challenge but I recently bought Apple’s magsafe powerbank for my iPhone 13 mini and I’m really loving it. It’s small and it fits snugly on the mini which makes it still usable while it’s on. It’s gives me like 70% battery extra which is just what I need to comfortably make it to the end of the day.

In a fan of the MagSafe powerbanks. For the Mini I think the Apple one is probably the only option that makes sense size wise.

For other iPhones, I use the otterbox one, it’s a bit cheaper (if I remember right) and has a higher capacity, works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AirPods Pro 2 with USB-C are $190 for Prime Day: https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Generation-Cancelling-Personalized-Customizable/dp/B0CHWRXH8B

Thinking about upgrading from my AirPods Pro 1 but I got them in July 2021 and they're still fine. The earbuds were replaced by Apple in June 2022 so their battery life is good, but the case battery is presumably shortened since they constantly trickle charge the earbuds.

Since I have a 15 Pro now, it would be nice to not have to carry a Lightning cable when I travel, but I'm not sure that's worth $200. OTOH, it took Apple 3 years to update them, so assuming the AirPods Pro 3 come out in September 2025, I'm probably going to want new earbuds before then? :psyduck:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Of course, the reason they're small is because the capacity is tiny. $100 (that might be CAD) for that is a bit crazy. On a larger phone it only gets you like 40% battery. The co-charging gimmick isn't worth the premium.

If you have a bigger phone just get one from any old ALLCAPS brand on Amazon. It's all the same stuff.

(Speaking of reverse charging, enable that for Airpods Apple!)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks for feedback on 15 Pro battery! I think I'll probably go for it when the time to upgrade comes along.

My other question is how does the AppleCare subscription work when factory resetting a phone? I'd ideally want to wipe my 13 mini and give it to my partner. I currently have a rolling monthly AppleCare sub on it, which I definitely would want to keep because she's a notorious screen smasher. Is it tied to my account as well as the device? Do I lose that (or the opportunity to reactivate it) if I wipe the phone?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Grumbles posted:

Thanks for feedback on 15 Pro battery! I think I'll probably go for it when the time to upgrade comes along.

My other question is how does the AppleCare subscription work when factory resetting a phone? I'd ideally want to wipe my 13 mini and give it to my partner. I currently have a rolling monthly AppleCare sub on it, which I definitely would want to keep because she's a notorious screen smasher. Is it tied to my account as well as the device? Do I lose that (or the opportunity to reactivate it) if I wipe the phone?

I would call Apple about that. The AC monthly is tied to your Apple ID (you cancel it under your subscriptions). You should be able to cancel it on your end, wipe phone, set it up for her, then re-sub to it with her Apple ID. Re-subbing may take a phone call or support chat since they have to run a remote diagnostic.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The Grumbles posted:

Any regular-size 15 pro havers in the thread? If so, how are you finding battery life? I'm thinking of making the jump up from my 13 mini as it can struggle to make it through the day.

I'm finding it hard to gauge via YouTube reviews as most are for the pro max, or have an unhelpful sensationalist vibe, or have more demanding use cases because it's content creators reviewing phones as if everyone's going to use it like a content creator.

With like a day of normal use it doesn’t hit low battery at the end of the day

Same was true of my 3 year old 12 pro so I don’t know how helpful my data is

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone else having problems with holding down the space bar to put the cursor somewhere, but when you let it go, it puts the cursor at the beginning of the line?

It happens to me all the time when I try proofreading messages and pisses me off because I always start typing poo poo at the beginning of the line instead of where I actually want it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The spacebar cursor definitely feels worse but I haven't really seen that specific issue. It feels like it's harder to be precise with though and the time to trigger is longer.

My issue has been while typing sometimes it flips to the number keyboard and I can't figure out how I'm doing it. I don't think I'm bumping the 123 in the corner but I must be.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone else having problems with holding down the space bar to put the cursor somewhere, but when you let it go, it puts the cursor at the beginning of the line?

It happens to me all the time when I try proofreading messages and pisses me off because I always start typing poo poo at the beginning of the line instead of where I actually want it.

Yup that’s been happening to me and it seems random as gently caress

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yes. It's very annoying.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah autocorrect and typing always gets a little weird with some updates/new hardware

In other update bugs: find my has gone kind of wonky, alerting me to having left behind my keychain which was still in my pocket and alerting me that I left my phone at home (yes??) which usually shouldn’t happen because it’s my home and as such a “safe zone” or whatever the phrasing is. Here’s hoping that sorts itself out.

The wallet blaring at me after 1 minute that i took it off is more annoying than helpful too, I’m considering just disabling it seeing as it only detects being taken off and not actual location.

Is there any way to re-enable automatically entering energy saver mode at 20% because that doesn’t seem to work anymore and I can’t find any settings :confused:

Also re: fine woven, I love it, the haptics are great and it held up well the first couple weeks. Already liking it much more than leather.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have a 14 pro, and ever since iOS 17, it keeps dropping WiFi at random times, and won’t sign on again. It’ll then randomly start working again.

Def annoying. Anyone else seeing this?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Tons of people on Reddit are having the same issue I am where the phone turns off at like 3am while charging and turns itself back on around 6.

I’m about to buy a freaking alarm clock in 2023.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I have a 14 pro, and ever since iOS 17, it keeps dropping WiFi at random times, and won’t sign on again. It’ll then randomly start working again.

Looks like it's A Thing

https://9to5mac.com/2023/10/06/wi-fi-issues-iphone-ios-17/

(Works On My Phone)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh yeah I've gotten this a few times. I think I noticed it happening when using a VPN.

smh, if I wanted my phone to act like this I would've bought an Android

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Tons of people on Reddit are having the same issue I am where the phone turns off at like 3am while charging and turns itself back on around 6.

I’m about to buy a freaking alarm clock in 2023.

Wow this is probably why when I pick up my phone in the morning it will say it needs my passcode when my iPhone restarts

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've also had that occasionally, and finding standby mode off in the morning.

I guess that could be what's happening. Does the phone log last boot time anywhere?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
People are going to Battery in settings and seeing a 3-4 hour gap of power being at 0. Also waking up and needing a passcode.

I go on call at 2am tonight, guess im setting some iPad alarms to wake up and make sure my stupid phone is on. Gonna also try just not charging at night.

God drat it, apple.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/175dic1/2_different_iphones_alarms_didnt_go_off_this/

quote:

I guess it could be a coincidence, but I have used the health sleep schedule thing for about 3 years now, and it has NEVER failed to go off. This morning I happened to wake up at like 5AM on my own, late for work, and noticed the alarm screen was up with the snooze option on it, but my phone didn't wake me up. I assumed that maybe I slept through my alarm, which is still odd, because it's never happened.

I went to work (from home), and my son normally gets up at 7:30 AM for work, and at about 7:50 I noticed I hadn't seen him milling around the house, so I knocked on his door, and there he was sleeping, and he said "I didn't even hear my alarm". I told him what happened to me and he held up his phone and it had the alarm screen on it like mine did.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
yall our phones are haunted

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rolo posted:

People are going to Battery in settings and seeing a 3-4 hour gap of power being at 0. Also waking up and needing a passcode.

I go on call at 2am tonight, guess im setting some iPad alarms to wake up and make sure my stupid phone is on. Gonna also try just not charging at night.

God drat it, apple.

Oh yeah, I see that I think?

That's interesting. Is it iOS17, or just the 15 models?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fwiw I've had the alarm issue multiple times but have not experienced the phone turning off during the night

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Aphrodite posted:

Oh yeah, I see that I think?

That's interesting. Is it iOS17, or just the 15 models?

Looks like iOS17, other people are getting it with earlier models.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I had that happen a couple days ago on my 14 Pro. I'm running the 17.1 beta if that matters.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I'm using my Apple Watch as an alarm and have woken up to sleep mode being off a suspicious amount of times lately, I mean it kinda used to happen on the old OS as well but feels like it's basically standard ever since. Well gently caress, time to dig up the normal alarm clock

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Alarm clocks only somewhat help people who are on call, I have to be able to take a phone call in the middle of the night. Ugh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seeing some posts suggesting at least some of the alarm issues may be Apple Music.

If your phone arbitrarily decides to prune the song you have set (which apparently happens often enough), it simply plays nothing instead of falling back to a default.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Duckman2008 posted:

im getting this on my 15 pro. turning wifi on and off seemed to work last night, also just rebooting the phone.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I've had the Pro Max 15 natural titanium for about a week now and it has been glorious.

Wifi 6E means the phone can do 750 mbps on speed testing, that's useless, but still, that's cool.

Best caseless feel in years. And for us caseless folk, Applecare costing $29 for a front/back replacement is fuckin' amazing. The cameras are great and the 5x zoom really is super useful, particularly outdoors.

5 stars. I was on the fence, the Apple event announcing the phone was really lackluster, but while there is no killer feature on the 15 pro max, literally everything about it just kind of owns?

Even the action button I find myself using constantly, mostly to take super quick photos. Life comes at you fast and sometimes it takes long enough for the phone to come out and shoot that you miss whatever split second situation that popped up for a moment.

Oh and maybe I'm just not discerning or whatever but the natural titanium is awesome with fingerprints, I came from a 12 pro max Pacific Blue and it would drive me crazy with all the drat fingerprints.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Still waiting for my FineWoven case to get marred or gross :colbert:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Macichne Leainig posted:

Monkeyspawwish.gif

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mister Facetious posted:

Monkeyspawwish.gif

Fine by me, I bought a TPU deal as a backup. Or I could just freeball it seeing as I'm on IUP and it has AppleCare+ built in :smugdog:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
lol when i tried to update my sister's phone with itunes, i realized after a while that it was downloading the update (on pc) over the phone's cellular hotspot! why?? (i noticed because i got a text warning that i'd exceeded my hotspot data cap)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
after the update the phone is usable (before the home screen was missing icons among other broken things), but the iOS and System sections still take up half of the phone's storage. She's getting a new phone soon (this is a 7), but this shouldn't be the user experience regardless.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Macichne Leainig posted:

Man. I let people talk me out of it. I like cloth cases. Maybe I should pick one up!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Snowmankilla posted:

Man. I let people talk me out of it. I like cloth cases. Maybe I should pick one up!

It definitely has a noticeable ring where the MagSafe connects to it, but that happens on any case I know of too tbqh. Even my old TPU one on my 14 Pro Max had wear on that ring

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

In a fan of the MagSafe powerbanks. For the Mini I think the Apple one is probably the only option that makes sense size wise.

Yeah I got mine on some kind of sale and it’s been a nice addition to my travel kit. Requiring Lightning to charge is annoying though when you use MagSafe for everything else.

Amazon is actually selling them right now for 15% off but still $84.

Limited-time deal: Apple MagSafe Battery Pack - Portable Charger with Fast Charging Capability, Power Bank Compatible with iPhone https://a.co/d/aYEQgJc

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rinkles posted:

after the update the phone is usable (before the home screen was missing icons among other broken things), but the iOS and System sections still take up half of the phone's storage. She's getting a new phone soon (this is a 7), but this shouldn't be the user experience regardless.

It's possible you might be able to go into the apps and clear some cached data, but yeah the os and default apps take up a ton of space.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

smackfu posted:

Yeah I got mine on some kind of sale and it’s been a nice addition to my travel kit. Requiring Lightning to charge is annoying though when you use MagSafe for everything else.

Limited-time deal: Apple MagSafe Battery Pack - Portable Charger with Fast Charging Capability, Power Bank Compatible with iPhone https://a.co/d/aYEQgJc

My wife and I love ours too. I have a big power bank in my backpack if it’s really needed, but generally this thing is perfect for getting you through the day and slides nicely into your pocket without needing to deal with wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

smackfu posted:

You can charge your phone by plugging it in and charge up the battery pack using reverse wireless charging (the only thing iPhone will reverse charge lol)

edit not quote: also I had a 15 pro max order in, checked and my local store had one for pickup so I canceled and repurchased and wow, pro max is way more usable on the 15 than it’s ever been