Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

I would suggest not getting the absolute cheapest skates possible skates but the cheaper hard boot skates like the rollerblade rb line are fine. Unfortunately unless you manage to get them as some sort of special sale they're usually at least $175-$200 most of the time. In generally I probably wouldn't recommend getting soft boot skates to start. Fit is really important and with hard boot skates you also want to be sure they aren't pressing on the bones on the side of your ankle or anything.

Most of the popular channels about inline skating seem to be middle aged cis white dudes although I have no idea about their sexual orientation or whatever. (I don't think that necessarily represents the demographics of people actually doing inline skating in general though.). I'm not sure I have specific recommendations about YouTube channels anyway; I've mostly tended to just watch a bunch of different people's videos on whatever thing I wanted videos about.

I don't think there are inline skates that resemble shoes.

80mm is probably the most common size for recreational inline skates in general. For potholes and stuff you might want to go with bigger wheels but a lot of those will be 3x110 or 3x125 frames and I'm not sure I would recommend skates with 3 wheels for your first inline skates. I prefer 4x90mm but it might be harder to find skates that come with that. (Also my foot size is US 11.5 for sneakers so if you have smaller feet 80mm might be similar proportionally).

I'm not sure to what degree your wheel preferences would translate or not since I don't quad skate but I guess inline wheels tend to be harder. Some of the wheels that skates come with can be pretty crappy (it might be better to buy slightly better skates if they're only slightly more expensive just for the better wheels because otherwise you might have to replace them pretty quickly) and will fall apart almost immediately if you aren't using a heel brake. I normally use rollerblade hydrogen wheels which are 85A and I think in general you don't want anything softer than that for outdoor inline skating.

Most inexpensive inline skates will come with a heel brake. I don't know how similar stopping techniques are between quad skates and inline skates but basically once you learn how to do a t stop you can probably take off the heel brake as long as you don't go too fast and are very careful about any sort of downward slopes until you are comfortable with other stopping techniques.

Thanks so much for this.

A few questions:

Why would you recommend against soft boots? I mainly ask because that’s what I’m used to on quads and fear blistering from switching.

Why not a 3 wheel skate?

85A sounds hard but it makes sense with the lower contact surface area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soft boot skates, especially cheaper soft boot skates, don't offer very much ankle support and unless your ankles are already insanely strong I think they will be pretty hard to skate on, especially with correct form. I think this commonly results in beginners pronating their skates and not being able to learn to balance on one skate properly. If you don't have good ankle support you have to constantly work your ankles to control the ankle of the skates.

I also personally wouldn't want to try to skate on bad surfaces with skates that didn't have very good ankle support. However, speed skaters who are used to zero ankle support can presumably handle it.

For 3 vs 4 wheels, I don't know if it inherently makes a huge difference but aside from the typical wheel sizes, a lot of 3 wheel frames that skates come with tend to have really short frame lengths which makes them pretty unstable and I'm not sure I would recommend starting out with that, although it depends what you want.

There are a zillion options for wheel configurations though including rockering (either in the frame or just with wheels)

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 30, 2023

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Grassy Knowles posted:

Why not a 3 wheel skate?

I don’t know quads but I suspect 3x110 is going to be significantly faster than what you’re used to. Which isn’t necessarily bad but might not be what you want at the moment. You could end up spending a lot of time just getting comfortable with them before taking them out in real rides. Especially if your scooting around the city, you’ll have to be real on point in speed control.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess if you don't specifically want people talking at you about inline skating techniques and include people who are mostly just uploading videos of their rides on youtube there might be more people who aren't cis men. This woman has some fantastic videos of urban skating in Toronto although she doesn't upload that frequently (also her style is pretty badass without being quite as insane as some of the people weaving around cars in NYC): https://www.youtube.com/@buzzkillblade4417

Also TikTok probably has different demographics but I don't think the video length is really suited for videos about inline skating imo

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
I have been doing a bunch of street skating on rough streets with 4x80s and have been interested in trying to bump up the wheel size. Even as a decent online skater, 3x110 still sound pretty tricky. My local skate shop was saying they are great for maneuverability and will feel softer, but it takes a while to get comfortable with how much higher you are off the ground, it changes up breaking a good deal. Also it sounds like it is way easier for your wheels to come out from under you forward/backward, so a bad pothole will be even worse than 4x80.

I am probably going to either get a kit to swap for 4x90 or a new set that have that (because it basically ends up being $200 either way). That or just grit my teeth through the vibrations. Maybe a 3x110 one day.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I didn't find switching to 3x110 that bad at all, and I alternated between for a bit before deciding I preferred 4x80 but it really wasn't that bad. Just took a bit of adjustment when I'd switch.

Braking there's no real difference imo, same for weight and falling: the contact points are pretty much the same because the front and rear axles are in the same place pretty much - if you're on 125s they'd be further apart but 110 would have a theoretical minimum separation of 220mm vs 240mm for 4x80 and they're just spaced a bit wider to bring it up. PowerSlide make a 3x90 skate and it looks ridiculous because of the gap between the wheels.

Potholes are potholes. If you hit one big enough you're going to catch and go down. In theory bigger wheels let you ride over more but ehhhh.

Also for the question about switching to inlines and speed: 3x110 or higher *hold* speed better but it's harder to get moving which is why I didn't like them. I'm extremely mediocre at doing running starts though.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Oh also, why not buy a second hand pair to try out (to either poster)? That's where I got my 110s from.

Grassy Knowles posted:

5. Is there anything decent as a shoe as well like flanneurz are for quads?

smdh that nobody has posted Doops

I unironically want to try them but I'd get so incredibly sweaty it would completely defeat the point of using them to "commute".

Also shout-out to the PowerSlide "HABS" brake which is an absolute piece of poo poo that is simultaneously far too large and yet has only about 20% of the brake volume as being usable before replacement *and* is a total bitch to replace. It is the sole reason I kept encourage my wife to go brake free.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 30, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Seriously look at where that wear line is:

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I didn't find switching to 3x110 that bad at all, and I alternated between for a bit before deciding I preferred 4x80 but it really wasn't that bad. Just took a bit of adjustment when I'd switch.

Braking there's no real difference imo, same for weight and falling: the contact points are pretty much the same because the front and rear axles are in the same place pretty much - if you're on 125s they'd be further apart but 110 would have a theoretical minimum separation of 220mm vs 240mm for 4x80 and they're just spaced a bit wider to bring it up. PowerSlide make a 3x90 skate and it looks ridiculous because of the gap between the wheels.

Potholes are potholes. If you hit one big enough you're going to catch and go down. In theory bigger wheels let you ride over more but ehhhh.

Also for the question about switching to inlines and speed: 3x110 or higher *hold* speed better but it's harder to get moving which is why I didn't like them. I'm extremely mediocre at doing running starts though.

Thanks for talking on this, it makes me lean more to trying them then. Did you feel much of a improvement in how much smoother a ride you got with the larger wheels? That is my main hope for switching.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bigger wheels definitely make it easier to not get your wheels stuck on rough surfaces, at least

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 30, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ShimmyGuy posted:

Thanks for talking on this, it makes me lean more to trying them then. Did you feel much of a improvement in how much smoother a ride you got with the larger wheels? That is my main hope for switching.

Not really, or maybe a little bit, but then again I skate in London where the surfaces are either fine or *terrible* so it's kind of hard to tell and it's been a while since I used them.

Oh actually one other thing: contact points are the same but the wheels stick out further so the first time you do crossovers you might clip your front wheel a bit!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I got 3x110 stock on my Powerslides and they were really uncomfortable. Very harsh ride, very tall and unstable. Manageable since I have past experience but I can't imagine learning to skate as a beginner on them.
Endless 90lr frames + Endless wheels is like gliding on butter and infinitely more confidence inspiring. Amazingly agile but plenty stable for the hills around me. Amazing difference

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I keep looking at the endless frames but they're so expensive that it's more effective to buy an entire new pair of fr1 90s.

That's why I was asking about intuition liners as you can get a pair of fr1s with 90mm wheels and the intuition liners for £80 more than a stock pair, though they're on ufr frames so don't have the built in tilt the regular fr1 has so they've built the heel up and it looks kind of weird imo.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
My first set of inline skates were 3x125 Powerslide Swells. I got them because they looked cool and took the brake off before ever using them. There was a significant learning curve but they are fun as hell.

Going to go against the grain and say that the best skates are the ones that are the most fun.

I had about a year's experience on cheap quad Impalas before that. I am looking for more 3x125 skates because the Powerslide boot consistently gives me a blister if I skate longer than a couple hours, which is rough. I'm currently curious what brands are known for being comfortable for narrow feet.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Unseasonably dry warm weather rocking my loving world right now. Skating dry concrete today in a short sleeve shirt like I'm on a saucy tropical vacation.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I own rollerblade twister 3x110m and they are so good. Great quality wouldnt change a thing a touch more expensive than other models. Havent had to clean/change the bearings something about the frame doesnt get the bearings as dirty as the k2s I own which have had to be cleaned 3x over the same timeframe. They dont come with brakes but the separate brake you can buy is super nice totally metal doesnt require you to remove wheels to change the pad.

I realized soft boot I was asking about wasnt appropriate because I want a second set of tough commuter skates so I bought the twister XT 4x80 for my second heavy use pair. I wanted one of each type because I like the idea of working my legs with slightly different movements. Brake came included with this one but its much lower quality (plastic, requires removal of rear wheel to change pad). Great so far otherwise only used them four times so far.

3 vs 4 wheels is very much personal preference, I like 3 but it can feel like more conscious effort (which is enjoyable in a way). Maybe I also like the extra half inch of height but I'm happy with the feel of both though they are quite heavy/sturdy. Same fit on both they run quite wide probably too wide for most people (apparently the first few runs of these were excessively narrow). The buckle on the XT feels sturdier but I also cut my finger on it recently so mixed feelings maybe.

My only other frame of reference are some K2s which I wouldnt recommend.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 6, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have also felt like bigger wheels might lead to the bearings getting a little less dirty but obviously it would be hard to do a scientific comparison and I've never been sure if I'm just imagining it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

I have also felt like bigger wheels might lead to the bearings getting a little less dirty but obviously it would be hard to do a scientific comparison and I've never been sure if I'm just imagining it

Even on quads I don’t have to clean my bearings on big wheels as often as small.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

And it’s not a thing I’ve noticed before y’all mentioned it here and I thought back on my wheelsets of the past few years, fwiw

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

can't believe y'all didn't tell me about this as an option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mUiHayXryY

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

:pwn:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Since getting back into skating, I've really enjoyed filming myself and playing around with editing software. This expanded into making a couple of little summer edits. Just finished this year's today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beGbAZal2t0

mystes
May 31, 2006

Neat. If you filmed yourself is all the panning/zooming done in editing?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

mystes posted:

Neat. If you filmed yourself is all the panning/zooming done in editing?

Thanks. Yeah. Save for a couple of tripod shots, it's all filmed with my phone propped against my shoe and then zoom/pan in Final Cut when I get home.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh wow, it looks incredibly professionally made despite that

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm a big pad believer. None of the pads I own feel perfect/especially worth recommending except these ennui wrist guards:

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Enn...Ta2z8B8NBy-NDVI

The laces might look odd but the fastenings are all velcro and theyre super easy to get on and off.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I still wear wrist guards while skating even though I haven't fallen in any substantial way in a while because a long time ago I had the gentlest of falls on my bike and it hosed up my wrist for three months (more like 9 months before the pain went away entirely) where I had to take the bus instead of riding and that was the worst period of my life in recent memory.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I always wear a helmet, wrist guards, and knee pads.

Helmet I think is pretty self explanatory (I've never hit my head but I would rather not die if I somehow do it)

I've never seriously injured my wrist but that's apparently one of the more common injuries skating and it would be a massive problem to even end up temporarily not being able to use a computer

I think knee pads are worth the inconvenience because if I somehow manage to fall I'm pretty much guaranteed to skin my knees and even if that's not serious it's just really annoying

When I started I figured I would just wear protection when trying new things or something, but at some point I decided that I'd rather wear protection unnecessarily most of the time rather than having to worry about getting hurt and miss out on skating for a while if I occasionally manage to fall

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’m helmet and knee pads at minimum; helmet is obvious, and being able to drop to your knees at the first sign of trouble is about as important. I flip-flop on wrist guards, but if I’m not wearing those I’m wearing full-fingered gloves. Ideally you learn not to catch yourself in a fall with your hands, but thats a real hard instinct to unlearn.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

I’m helmet and knee pads at minimum; helmet is obvious, and being able to drop to your knees at the first sign of trouble is about as important. I flip-flop on wrist guards, but if I’m not wearing those I’m wearing full-fingered gloves. Ideally you learn not to catch yourself in a fall with your hands, but thats a real hard instinct to unlearn.

I want to incorporate longboarding puck gloves into my skating, possibly with spark plates installed to be exceedingly ostentatious to vehicles on the road.

Also I wear full pads. I guess in this moment I’m un padded but I’m indoors working a retail store in my skates rn. It also lets the mansplainy assholes show themselves because they like to take it as a sign I don’t know what I’m doing and I need to know that they don’t wear pads because “they want to limit their weight to essentials” like a selfie stick and action cam, “they teach you to fall wrong” as if you can’t learn how to fall while being safe, or “they restrict my movement too much” which I can’t say any boo to cause my body is all wonky too, though I think sometimes that is a fit issue on their part.

Sometimes even padded shorts if the weather is cold enough or if I plan on getting into some nonsense where I’m surrounded by other skaters of varying levels of skill (the ‘most skilled’ in their heads being the ones who just need to get into everyone else’s space ofc), being able to crumple to the ground safely is important.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

I want to incorporate longboarding puck gloves into my skating, possibly with spark plates installed to be exceedingly ostentatious to vehicles on the road.
I haven't tried them but I suspect that they aren't as useful for skating as for longboarding.

In longboarding, it seems like they're one of the more basic ways to stop, but in skating, it seems like in terms of the position you need to be in to use them, they probably aren't necessarily that convenient to use except for cornering at high speeds

It seems like you can theoretically use them the same way as longboarding by leaning down, catching them on the ground, and allowing yourself to rotate so your head is facing backwards and you end up sliding on your skates with them facing forwards in the direction to travel, but it doesn't seem like it's that convenient a way to stop on skates.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah, I still wear my helmet as well because I saw someone at the park fall and have to get carted off by an ambulance after cracking their head on the pavement. They didn't look like they knew what they were doing first time I saw them, but still

Edit: what work are you doing that let's you wear skates btw if you don't mind sharing^^^

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

I haven't tried them but I suspect that they aren't as useful for skating as for longboarding.

In longboarding, it seems like they're one of the more basic ways to stop, but in skating, it seems like in terms of the position you need to be in to use them, they probably aren't necessarily that convenient to use except for cornering at high speeds

It seems like you can theoretically use them the same way as longboarding by leaning down, catching them on the ground, and allowing yourself to rotate so your head is facing backwards and you end up sliding on your skates with them facing forwards in the direction to travel, but it doesn't seem like it's that convenient a way to stop on skates.

For sure it isn’t very USEFUL, back when I was longboarding even I wasn’t a fan of going fast enough for it to be useful and when I did would just do a rolling dismount and swoop the board up most the time, but imagine shooting the duck and sparks flying around brings me joy

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mauser posted:

Edit: what work are you doing that let's you wear skates btw if you don't mind sharing^^^

The rest of my leisure skate crew from lockdown is in a band and they run a vintage clothing store, I cover when they need to do band stuff or take vacations. Far from a career, though I do also skate to most my pet sitting gigs and teach beginners lessons to queers.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

drat, very close to living the dream. I'm starting volunteering at a volunteer-run bike shop because work is fine, but hobbies are way more fun

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Ennui make a set of fingerless gloves with a detachable skid plate thing on the palm, that's what I use and it's very convenient. The idea is that you slide instead of hitting hard breaking whatever but it's gonna completely depend on the situation.

Knee pads I use hard shell ones now after wrecking my left knee about three times. To be fair two of those were wearing gasket pads that got dragged out of the way and ripped through my leg rather than no pads at all.

I have some mega ennui shin/knee pads as well but they are so incredibly sweaty to wear I've never actually used them

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Ennui make a set of fingerless gloves with a detachable skid plate thing on the palm, that's what I use and it's very convenient. The idea is that you slide instead of hitting hard breaking whatever but it's gonna completely depend on the situation.

I have some mega ennui shin/knee pads as well but they are so incredibly sweaty to wear I've never actually used them

Pics pls? I typically dont have my legs covered since I’m a dresses and skirts girl so sweaty legs can just be wiped after

mystes
May 31, 2006

They don't have full shin coverage but I've been using these knee pads for a year I guess and I'm pretty fond of them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GKNGJD1

I got them in XXL from amazon warehouse (they're normally pretty expensive so I probably wouldn't have gotten them otherwise) but they're pretty nice

I think they fit/stay on better than the basic foam ones and have more coverage but aren't too bulky while still having a hard plastic part

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 20, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

They don't have full shin coverage but I've been using these knee pads for a year I guess and I'm pretty fond of them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GKNGJD1

I got them in XXL from amazon warehouse (they're normally pretty expensive so I probably wouldn't have gotten them otherwise) but they're pretty nice

These look awesome how well do they wash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not about to try putting them in the washing machine so I just sometimes rinse them and let them dry

If you want to not be gross and wash them every time you use them I have no idea whether they would hold up to that indefinitely

They have a lot of sizes and they're pretty expensive so if you don't luck out with the sizing on the first try it might be a pita though. Because of the way they fit the sizing might be more sensitive then the basic ones, although they are decently adjustable