Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Suggesting the October 7th attack was 'good for the cause' or that 'might makes right' is an idiotic line to take in any case because Israel is much, much more powerful than Hamas! They have the ability and inclination to destroy every building in Gaza and flood all the shelters with tear gas! Any opposition to them doing this will be drowned out by the ongoing revelations of Hamas' atrocities! This was a really loving bad idea even if you ignore the ethics of mass murdering children!

hamas' actions are obviously awful - but what exactly do you think should be done instead? everything has been tried at this point. hundreds of palestinians were killed during the great march of return. life in the west bank has gotten worse and worse. what is the other option for palestinians in gaza? israel has shown time and time again that they are utterly uninterested in coexistence and will use lethal force against nonviolent protests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I doubt Israel will ever again get the carte blanche that they have right now to obliterate Gaza and I expect they’ll push it as far as they can given the current government. The only outstanding question in my mind now is how many scores of dead Palestinian it will take before foreign governments start to feel uncomfortable. Are we talking tens of thousand? More? Could Israel actually destroy every single building, turning Gaza into a tent city, while retaining broad support?

nogoodpeople
Oct 9, 2023

by Modern Video Games

shades of blue posted:

hamas' actions are obviously awful - but what exactly do you think should be done instead? everything has been tried at this point. hundreds of palestinians were killed during the great march of return. life in the west bank has gotten worse and worse. what is the other option for palestinians in gaza? israel has shown time and time again that they are utterly uninterested in coexistence and will use lethal force against nonviolent protests.

Something that doesn't end up causing the reaction to be complete genocide?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Vahakyla posted:

This also removes the agency from Israel.

Modern Israel is a very wealthy nation with stable government, an extremely strong conventional military that can enforce its borders and project regional power. In addition it has a good base of industry and its low in corruption scale. (Not counting Bibi)

If they want, they can absolutely have a peaceful state that can keep external threats like Syria and Egypt at bay, and also not genocide Palestinians. They could integrate Palestinian territory fully and bring down the walls. They choose not to.

Israel doesn’t have to pack up and move to fix these issues. They can do it right there.

quote:

Released on August 18, 1988, the original covenant spells out clearly Hamas’s genocidal intentions. Accordingly, what happened in Israel on Saturday is completely in keeping with Hamas’s explicit aims and stated objectives. It was in fact the inchoate realization of Hamas’s true ambitions.

The most relevant of the document’s 36 articles can be summarized as falling within four main themes:

The complete destruction of Israel as an essential condition for the liberation of Palestine and the establishment of a theocratic state based on Islamic law (Sharia),
The need for both unrestrained and unceasing holy war (jihad) to attain the above objective,
The deliberate disdain for, and dismissal of, any negotiated resolution or political settlement of Jewish and Muslim claims to the Holy Land, and
The reinforcement of historical anti-Semitic tropes and calumnies married to sinister conspiracy theories.

there is something exclusive to Westerners completely removed from the situation where they think Israel should open discourse with a group that calls for our wholesale extermination

I think in this entire thread I've seen maybe one mention of Black September..but anyone who actually has knowledge of the region gets a big ole red text av as a "shill", it's nothing new, but I was hoping for something better

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

OctaMurk posted:

how does netanyahu keep doing this
"I can change him"

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

nogoodpeople posted:

Something that doesn't end up causing the reaction to be complete genocide?

Israel was already actively doing this anyway? The last peaceful protest Gazians tried to do to get international attention ended with thousands of them killed or maimed by IDF snipers and the only acknowledgment by west powers, if there even was one, was tut-tutting them for provoking the poor Israeli snipers into shooting them

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

shades of blue posted:

Fight back militarily but stringently within the laws of war.

Hamas is never going to beat Israel militarily and war. The best violence can do is be used as a tool for a negotiated political settlement. A just war can bring pressure on Israel and international attention to the conflict. War crimes Phuket the image of Palestinians and strengthen Israel’s hand. It neither moves Hamas closer to a military victory over Israel (which will never happen) or brings a negotiated settlement any closer.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

zer0spunk posted:

there is something exclusive to Westerners completely removed from the situation where they think Israel should open discourse with a group that calls for our wholesale extermination

I think in this entire thread I've seen maybe one mention of Black September..but anyone who actually has knowledge of the region gets a big ole red text av as a "shill", it's nothing new, but I was hoping for something better

I am jewish.

I visited Gaza in 2008, going through Erez. I watched Hamas goon squads beat suspected gay people there, soon after taking control from Fatah

My childhood friend died in a suicide bombing in Jerusalem.

My right to return paperwork sits on my desk as a reminder of what my life could’ve been like in the IDF had I not gone to America. Especially now.

My family members live in Maghar, currently considering suicide as a valid option rather than getting called up as a reservist infantry captain as their palestinian neighbor is also an IDF Reservist who is in panic mode about getting called due to you know, not agreeing with the conscription or genocide.

Many of my family members have complicated history with service and their roots. My uncle commanded a tank in Peace for Galilee in 82 with a palestinian driver and gunner. Those two guys still live in Israel, and to this day face discrimination, and while they’re too old to be called up for IDF, that juxtaposition is constant in their lives.

And you are also wrong. Hamas charter stopped their genocide call from the charter in 2017.
That’s not to excuse it, but also let me ask you this:

Who the gently caress commands most military might, political power, money, and influence in the Levant?

Israel or Hamas?

Ok, so maybe the one with more power dictates the pace.

Also don’r act like you get to dictate the collective opinions of jews.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 11, 2023

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Israel was already actively doing this anyway? The last peaceful protest Gazians tried to do to get international attention ended with thousands of them killed or maimed by IDF snipers and the only acknowledgment by west powers, if there even was one, was tut-tutting them for provoking the poor Israeli snipers into shooting them

They were doing it, but not with the same overtness or broad support.

As you said, previous Israeli aggression warned a "tut tut". This round of Israeli aggression is being applauded to the tune of "Israel has the right to defend itself" while the US Navy aids the siege and various major powers ask them how many hospital leveling bombs they need

I don't know what ought to have been done. But civilian massacres are lovely and this one (which, yes, can be seen as retaliatory for Israel's countless massacres) did nothing to put Gaza in an advantageous or even sympathetic position, and my fear is that it's going to take a whole new level of suffering before the world at large notices what Israel is doing

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The only power station in Gaza has run out of fuel so I don't think they have any way to filter the brackish water they can pump with the existing wells they have. It seems to me that Israel doesn't even need to go in for complete genocide, they just need to keep the water and power turned off for a week or two.

There are American citizens of Palestinian descent who were in Palestine, also, but the response from the US embassy to them has been "tough luck."

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Vahakyla posted:

I am jewish.

I visited Gaza in 2008, going through Erez.
My childhood friend died in a suicide bombing in Jerusalem.

My right to return paperwork sits on my desk as a reminder of what my life could’ve been like in the IDF had I not gone to America. Especially now.

My family members live in Maghar, currently considering suicide as a valid option rather than getting called up as a reservist infantry captain as their palestinian neighbor is also an IDF Reservist who is in panic mode about getting called due to you know, not agreeing with the conscription or genocide.

And you are also wrong. Hamas charter stopped their genocide call from the charter in 2017.
That’s not to excuse it, but also let me ask you this:

Who the gently caress commands most military might, political power, money, and influence in the Levant?

Israel or Hamas?

Ok, so maybe the one with more power dictates the pace.

The fact that you think I'm not aware of the 2017 revision is interesting. I'm fully aware of the change in language that says the exact same thing..

quote:

A Kinder, Gentler Charter?
On May 1, 2017, Hamas issued a revised charter. Gone were the “vague religious rhetoric and outlandish utopian pronouncements” of the earlier document, according to analysis prepared for the Institute of Palestine Studies. Instead, the new charter was redolent of “straightforward and mostly pragmatic political language” that had “shifted the movement’s positions and policies further toward the spheres of pragmatism and nationalism as opposed to dogma and Islamism.” Nonetheless, the analyst was struck by “the movement’s adherence to its founding principles” alongside newly crafted, “carefully worded” language suggesting moderation and flexibility.

Israel immediately dismissed the group’s effort to promote a kinder, gentler image of its once avowedly bloodthirsty agenda. “Hamas is attempting to fool the world, but it will not succeed,” a spokesperson from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office predicted.

In fact, the new document differs little from its predecessor. Much like the original, the new document asserts Hamas’s long-standing goal of establishing a sovereign, Islamist Palestinian state that extends, according to Article 2, from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea and from the Lebanese border to the Israeli city of Eilat—in other words, through the entirety of Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza. And it is similarly unequivocal about “the right of return” of all Palestinian refugees displaced as a result of the 1948 and 1967 wars (Article 12)—which is portrayed as “a natural right, both individual and collective,” divinely ordained and “inalienable.” That right, therefore “cannot be dispensed with by any party, whether Palestinian, Arab or international,” thus again rendering negotiations or efforts to achieve any kind of political settlement between Israel and the Palestinians irrelevant, void, or both. Article 27 forcefully reinforces this point: “There is no alternative to a fully sovereign Palestinian State on the entire national Palestinian soil, with Jerusalem as its capital.”

The most striking departure from the 1988 charter is that the 2017 statement of principles and objectives now claims that Hamas is not anti-Jewish but anti-Zionist and, accordingly, sees “Zionists” and not “Jews” as the preeminent enemy and target of its opprobrium.

Changing what you refer to us as is not the sweeping policy change you attempt to give it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2023/10/hamas-covenant-israel-attack-war-genocide/675602/

e: again, for you and those in your boat. diplomacy (which was attempted 5 different times) is impossible with a terrorist organization. what you saw them carry out, is exactly who that group is, and thinking you can rationally talk your way out of this is delusional in the face of what the reality is.

everyone i know who was hard left, including the survivors of the mostly left southern villages have abandoned the two state solution. this act of war has mobilized a country that was divided, and all of its allies who normally advocate for restraint haven't.
we can debate back and forth but, that is the reality of where we are now.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 11, 2023

nogoodpeople
Oct 9, 2023

by Modern Video Games

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So Israel was actively amassing 100k troops on the borders of Gaza and ready to roll in and take over the entire area? They were cutting off all water and electricity?

Do you people understand what escalation is at all? Apparently it seems like not. The Gaza population nearly doubled from 2000-2020 from 1.1m to 2m. What is this number going to be given the tactics Israel will use here?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can anyone who speaks Arabic summarise this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcz5Kqpc_rw

This is Khaled Meshaal, former Hamas chief and current leader of their diaspora office. I see a lot of conflicting reporting ranging from 'he calls for Jewish pogroms around the world' to 'he asks diaspora and fellow Muslims to participate in protests in support of Palestine'. From what I managed to piece together from selective translations, he also calls for volunteers to go to Israel and join the fight, but I am not entirely convinced the translations I see are correct.

Reuters only mentions protests in their reporting.
https://www.reuters.com/article/israel-palestinians-hamas-protests-idAFS8N3AQ05J

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

zer0spunk posted:

The fact that you think I'm not aware of the 2017 revision is interesting. I'm fully aware of the change in language that says the exact same thing..

Changing what you refer to us as is not the sweeping policy change you attempt to give it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2023/10/hamas-covenant-israel-attack-war-genocide/675602/

e: again, for you and those in your boat. diplomacy (which was attempted 5 different times) is impossible with a terrorist organization. what you saw them carry out, is exactly who that group is, and thinking you can rationally talk your way out of this is delusional in the face of what the reality is.

everyone i know who was hard left, including the survivors of the mostly left southern villages have abandoned the two state solution. this act of war has mobilized a country that was divided, and all of its allies who normally advocate for restraint haven't.

Not all Jews are zionists and not all Zionists are Jews, hth

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
That's what I'm saying, Hamas is objectively loving horrible. Their entire core and identity is not "save palestine" it is "destroy israel" and it has been the case for 30 years. Almost any other governing body for Gaza would be better than one that has the sole objective of waging eternal jihad until they can eradicate "zionists" and establish an islamic sharia state. This isn't some strawman poo poo either, it's in their own words.

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 11, 2023

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

not sure how to respond to a Facebook friend and associate who posts every hour or two that he can't believe there's no outcry of justice for Israel and that 'your Jewish friends see this and will remember it, any marginalized group gets attacked and it's post after post but nothing for Israel?'

an I supposed to express pity for the apartheid state with it's boot on the neck of the snarling dog it's about to starve and shotgun to death? what do I tell this guy

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

zer0spunk posted:

You are like the Assumer in Chief.
Plural of anecdote isn't a fact. You have anecdotes, I have anecdotes. Clearly mine don't agree with yours, so that should be enough to tell you that maybe it is not quite as universal.

Second, why do you think I want to negotiate with Hamas? I want Hamas destroyed and ripped out of Gaza and elsewhere. You are the one who assumes (and thus shows your true colors) by equating Palestine with Hamas.
The best way to eradicate Hamas' power is to treat Palestinians well and remove the open air prison. Remaining jihadist will some surely choose the way of violence, but hey I got great news, I think the IDF can deal with dudes with rifles.
You are seemingly fighting in these comments against some Hamas Supporter. I hope you are winning! Hamas bad!

Nor am I for a two-state solution. I support integrated Israel (or any of the alternate one-state names).

You have obviously radicalized and started to assume all Palestinians are basically Hamas. That is unfortunate. I am not there yet. But you should not speak for everyone.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 11, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

That's what I'm saying, Hamas is objectively loving horrible. Their entire core and identity is not "save palestine" it is "destroy israel" and it has been the case for 30 years. Almost any other governing body for Gaza would be better than one that has the sole objective of waging eternal jihad until they can eradicate "zionists" and establishing an islamic sharia state. This isn't some strawman poo poo either, it's in their own words.

How do you convince Israel that's what they want, when the incentives all seem to be for the people in power to prefer genocidal assholes? And in fact, can't Israel, through arrest and assassination, decide what the leadership of Hamas looks like, to some degree?

The entire dynamic of the situation is weird because Israel has enormous control over Gaza, and can basically pick a lot of the factors they're going to be working "against," if you can be said to work against something that is largely within your control.

Basically, if the militant right wing that's been in charge for decades obviously prefers Hamas over some more reasonable group which may or may not even exist at this point, who exactly do you see putting that alternate group forward and empowering them?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Decon posted:

They were doing it, but not with the same overtness or broad support.

As you said, previous Israeli aggression warned a "tut tut". This round of Israeli aggression is being applauded to the tune of "Israel has the right to defend itself" while the US Navy aids the siege and various major powers ask them how many hospital leveling bombs they need

I don't know what ought to have been done. But civilian massacres are lovely and this one (which, yes, can be seen as retaliatory for Israel's countless massacres) did nothing to put Gaza in an advantageous or even sympathetic position, and my fear is that it's going to take a whole new level of suffering before the world at large notices what Israel is doing

A tut tut to the protestors. As far as I know the US never condemned any Israeli action, and every time the UN tries the US vetoes it.

With regards specifically to the 2018 protest. "The US vetoed the resolution, with then-US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley saying it presented “a grossly one-sided view of what has taken place in Gaza in recent weeks”. Haley blamed Hamas for the violence."

Collapsing Farts posted:

That's what I'm saying, Hamas is objectively loving horrible. Their entire core and identity is not "save palestine" it is "destroy israel" and it has been the case for 30 years. Almost any other governing body for Gaza would be better than one that has the sole objective of waging eternal jihad until they can eradicate "zionists" and establishing an islamic sharia state. This isn't some strawman poo poo either, it's in their own words.

Hamas is objectively horrible and Israel should never have supported them to undermine Palestinian statehood or secular Palestinians. If Israel kills every single member of Hamas and goes right back to the status quo of bombing hospitals, power plants, and so on, which they really have no reason not to and never had, then there's just going to be another group of furious and broken people forming another Hamas to eventually massacre another group of civilians.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Miftan posted:

Not all Jews are zionists and not all Zionists are Jews, hth

This is exactly the point I am making. Changing the rhetoric to "only zionists must die" might have some truth to it, if the actions matched. Except it doesn't, especially when they attack the region that doesn't support Zionism. They murdered people sympathetic to their own cause, because the objective is terrorism. Trying to make their charter espousing genocide more palatable clearly works though.

I'll continue to use sourced facts here to back up my claim they indiscriminately murder any jew, not just a careful and thoughtful selection:

quote:

Vivian Silver, 74, a member of Kibbutz Be’eri, near the northern end of Gaza, was still missing on Monday night and presumed to have been taken hostage. Ms. Silver, a native of Winnipeg, Manitoba, was among the leaders of Women Wage Peace, a large grass-roots movement founded in the aftermath of the Gaza War of 2014 to promote a political resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

She served for many years on the board of directors of B’Tselem, an Israeli human rights organization that said Israel was an apartheid state. She made visits to the occupied territories to express solidarity with Palestinians and volunteered with an organization that drove sick Palestinians from Gaza into Israel for medical treatment. She is the executive director of the Negev Institute for Strategies of Peace and Development and co-founded the Arab Jewish Center for Equality Empowerment and Cooperation.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/10/10/world/israel-hamas-war-gaza#peace-activists-killed-israel

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

boar guy posted:

not sure how to respond to a Facebook friend and associate who posts every hour or two that he can't believe there's no outcry of justice for Israel and that 'your Jewish friends see this and will remember it, any marginalized group gets attacked and it's post after post but nothing for Israel?'

an I supposed to express pity for the apartheid state with it's boot on the neck of the snarling dog it's about to starve and shotgun to death? what do I tell this guy

That you have sympathy for the civilian deaths on both sides of the conflict but none at all for the Israeli State that has engineered this outcome through decades of genocidal apartheid policy?

Brucolac fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 11, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maybe don’t go on Facebook too

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I think this article clarifies what's been frustrating for me and (apparently) other people in the "so left that Free Palestine goes without saying" discourse bubble.

The author, myself, and I'm sure some other users here are Jews who grew up around a lot of liberal Zionism and were disillusioned from it by intellectually dishonest and morally callous dismissals or even justifications of actual war crimes. That's why it's been so disturbing to see the exact bullshit rhetoric from people who, I assumed, were pro-Palestine exactly because they knew better.

quote:

Frankly, if all you have to offer is this grubby, scummy cynicism—no clean hands in a dirty world, sometimes innocent people will die, war is violent and in the end there’s nothing wrong with that—then to be honest, I struggle to understand why you even bother to align yourself with Palestine at all. If this is how you talk, how can you possibly adopt any stance of moral outrage when Israel commits its own crimes? Why not drop the act and throw your lot in with the IDF, since they already speak your language?

It's not just the fact that war crimes are being justified or dismissed but that the way people are doing them is exactly parallel to right-wing Zionism/IDF apologia.

"The logistical circumstances and nefarious tactics of the enemy make it impossible to distinguish between combatant and civilian, in fact even the alleged civilians are culpable in their own way, but still we're treating them fairly in many instances, much better than they treat us, and when we don't treat them so nice, what gives you the right to critique how we fight for our lives from your cozy American refuge, don't you understand that in a situation this serious no tactics can be off the table? It would all be resolved if they would just leave but they stubbornly refuse to stop occupying our homeland." That's all been in this thread, but also straight out of the mouths of the most obnoxious and outrageous Zionists.

And then there's another idea that some left-wing Palestine allies seem to have learned from right-wing Zionists, which is that Palestinian liberation is inseparable from roaming the country killing every Jew you see, so that any opposition to the latter is actually opposition to Palestine itself.

quote:

Is an instant of freedom for Palestinians just another name for Israelis being slaughtered in their homes? A lot of Zionists would, I think, say yes. Maybe it’s not nice that the Gazans have to be locked in a cage, but look, this is what happens when they get out: they kill everyone they get their hands on. These murders are inseparable from the Palestinian cause; freedom for Palestine is a euphemism for another six million murdered Jews, and the only way to prevent that happening is to keep the Palestinians under occupation forever, or maybe just quietly get rid of them. For what it’s worth, I oppose this notion with every fibre of my being. But maybe I’m wrong, because a lot of people seem to agree with the Zionists on this one. Like, for some reason, basically all of my friends and comrades in the Palestine solidarity movement.

It is extremely disturbing to see that the most hateful and dangerous ideas in right-wing Zionism are now common in this particular cultural-political bubble. The insane "security" policies and blood-and-soil nationalism of the Israeli right wing and intelligence sector have produced thousands of deaths this week, I fear tens of thousands more by the end of the year and it might be even worse than that. These ideas need resistance, not replication.

Maybe this is just posting about posts, obviously the real disaster is everyone dying, not that powerless people think and say stupid things. But the author's clear despair is something I'm experiencing as well - we thought war crimes were less popular, at least among our friends and political partners, than they are.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 11, 2023

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

boar guy posted:

Do you need to say anything? I don't really think this person is putting this information down in a ledger for future use.

I've been quiet on social media because (1) I don't have anything new or particularly thoughtful to say, especially when I realized how little I knew about pre-1948 Palestine; and (2) it's impossible (in the US at least) to have a thoughtful conversation about the situation.

Unless I'm in a position of political power, I don't think a public stance is necessary here. I don't know if there's much else for a lot of people in the west to do right now except support aid organizations as best as you can, try to hold your politicians accountable, work on educating yourself and try to be kind to people who actually are affected by this senseless cycle of violence.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

boar guy posted:

I suggest muting them, or telling them

Brucolac posted:

That you have sympathy for the civilian deaths on both sides of the conflict but none at all for the Israeli State that has engineered this outcome through decades of genocidal apartheid policy?

Otherwise

Nessus posted:

Maybe don’t go on Facebook too

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
From Al-Jazeera's live updates:

quote:

45m ago
(13:55 GMT)
More details about deadly settler attack on Qusra in West Bank

We have more details about the wide-scale attack launched by Israeli settlers on the village of Qusra, south of Nablus.

According to Fuad Hassan, an activist from the village, both settlers and soldiers are firing live rounds on Palestinians.

The army is not allowing ambulances to reach the injured, he told Al Jazeera.

So far, three Palestinians have been killed and six others people have been injured:

A 24-year-old man was hit in the abdomen with live ammunition.

A six-year-old girl was hit in the shoulder with live ammunition.

Three others were hit in the upper body with live ammunition.

A Palestinian was hit in the neck and taken to Salfit hospital

I am to presume that this-and the pogroms prior in the year-are a result of Hamas' 35 year old deprecated charter. It definitely does not say anything about Israel's intent towards Palestinians that they armed settlers with a shitload of guns and pointed them towards the group of Palestinians that didn't completely embarass the IOF.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 11, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Brucolac posted:

I personally like to know who agrees with the murder of my fellow citizens, so anyone going full mask off is a positive in my eyes, but YMMV

I think telling your upset jewish friend who more than likely directly knows someone kidnapped or killed as it's a country of under 10 million residents that israel "engineered this outcome" will go as you should expect it to go. Don't be surprised if they are less civil then I've been ITT

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Violence is spreading in the West Bank:

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1712102940566003712

There are a bunch of videos floating around Twitter showing armed Israeli settlers storming a Palestinian village and firing indiscriminately. Reuters is reporting that IDF forces were helping the settlers:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/three-palestinians-killed-by-israeli-forces-settlers-west-bank-agency-2023-10-11/

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr. Apollo posted:

A lot of people make bad decisions if they are promised a tiny bit of power.

It's also very difficult to act as a credible opposition when your nation's collective attention is on their version of Pearl Harbor or 9/11. Worst case, Netanyahu wins next elections in a landslide because opposition gets smeared as Hamas loving traitors or something.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

This is exactly the point I am making. Changing the rhetoric to "only zionists must die" might have some truth to it, if the actions matched. Except it doesn't, especially when they attack the region that doesn't support Zionism. They murdered people sympathetic to their own cause, because the objective is terrorism. Trying to make their charter espousing genocide more palatable clearly works though.

I'll continue to use sourced facts here to back up my claim they indiscriminately murder any jew, not just a careful and thoughtful selection:
And if Israel is indiscriminately killing Palestinians now, what does that say about their goal?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

From Al-Jazeera's live updates:

I am to presume that this-and the pogroms prior in the year-are a result of Hamas' 35 year old deprecated charter. It definitely does not say anything about Israel's intent towards Palestinians that they armed settlers with a shitload of guns and pointed them towards the group of Palestinians that didn't completely embarass the IOF.

Why are you sarcastically mocking something that nobody here believes?

There is literally nobody in this discussion who has expressed anything less than contempt for the State of Israel and the occupation of the West Bank. There is nobody here who doesn't understand that the State of Israel is violently racist toward Palestinians.

Martman posted:

And if Israel is indiscriminately killing Palestinians now, what does that say about their goal?

Again, this is a rhetorical question trying to make a point that everyone here understands perfectly.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I watched a video yesterday of the IDF using phosphorous bombs on an area where there didn't seem to be any infrastructure, and I couldn't work out why they were doing it

It makes sense now :(

https://twitter.com/MalakaShwaikh/status/1712092437932290413

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

OctaMurk posted:

benny gantz will have no real influence yet will be easily blamed for any future problems

how does netanyahu keep doing this

I don't think it's a politically viable move not to offer to support the nation in a time of wartime crisis. That makes you very easy to mark as a traitor. Hopefully you can sink Netanyahu later as more details about his screw-ups leak out.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ANIME AKBAR posted:

So in your head, what happens after Hamas is gone? Who steps in to operate whatever civil infrastructure is left behind in Gaza?

The PA, at least in theory. Not really sure how much the population of Gaza would be into that, but if Israel gains control of Gaza I suspect there'll be a bloody purge of just about anyone with any ties to Hamas, and after that I doubt anyone in Gaza would have any appetite left for putting up meaningful resistance to the PA.

tracecomplete posted:

John Bolton has seriously not aged a day since he was agitating for Iraq. This lich moisturizes.

also please find his loving phylactery, ty

As I understand it, this is probably at least slightly better than Ben-Gvir and company stomping around unopposed?

Unless he's just a patsy who Netanyahu can staple blame onto.

Benny Gantz's political claim to fame is that he was the leader of a large party alliance (Blue and White) whose entire campaign platform was basically "Defeat Likud And Dethrone Netanyahu", and he promised repeatedly to form a government that did not include Netanyahu. With those promises in place, Blue and White did very well, winning about as many seats as Likud did. Then he betrayed Blue and White, cutting a deal with Likud to make Netanyahu Prime Minister in exchange for a promise that the Prime Minister seat would switch over to him 18 months later. Naturally, Blue and White fell apart as a result of his betrayal. All his alliance partners bailed on the alliance, and his own Israeli Resilience Party became much less popular, leaving him dependent on Netanyahu for any power. But he never got to be Prime Minister, because now that Gantz had gutted his own political support by betraying the principles he'd campaigned on, Netanyahu engineered the collapse of the government and sent things right back to elections, where the effects of his betrayal wreaked havoc on his political power: his party lost half its seats in the election and his former allies refused to rejoin Blue and White. While he still managed to play a role in the following Yamina/Yesh Atid government, due to the fact that they needed everyone they could get, he himself is a political nobody now and his party is barely able to keep itself above the electoral threshold to get Knesset representation.

I tell that story to show that yes, Benny Gantz is absolutely a patsy, and I wouldn't be shocked if Bibi somehow makes him take the blame for this. He's a guy who'll happily abandon his principles and betray his voters and political allies for power, and Netanyahu is quite good at using and manipulating that sort of person. On top of that, Gantz was the IDF Chief of General Staff from 2011-2015, and Eizenkot was IDF Chief of the General Staff from 2015-2019. When there's a lot of political outcry over Israel's failure to properly defend itself against Hamas, two guys who were in charge of most of the previous Israeli operations against Gaza seem like good scapegoating candidates.

I'd say that in general, this unity government is a bad thing, because Gantz is in no position to restrain the power of the right-wing. Lapid demanded the ouster of the far-right parties in exchange for participating in the unity government, which Netanyahu appears to have turned down. But Gantz basically just demanded Netanyahu make a separate security committee for him so he doesn't have to listen to Ben-Gvir's genocidal rants while he's busy running the war.

boar guy posted:

Point him at basically every world leader siding with Israel and every news site decrying the atrocities? If he's saying that there's no outcry of justice for Israel, then link him to the massive outcry of justice for Israel across the entire Western media. And then log off of Facebook for a while, because that person clearly isn't going to let facts or evidence get in the way of his persecution narrative. If they're so deluded that they think the world is ignoring that massacre, then there's not even any point in trying to argue them into supporting Palestine.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem is that we are far closer to a three state solution than a two or even one state one.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

boar guy posted:

Nothing, you're not going to change his mind. If he's not an actual good friend, unfriend him.

Just my opinion

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm just going to continue to be silent, dude doesn't want considered debate, he wants cheerleading for his side

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Martman posted:

To mirror a previous poster that said not all zionists are jews, not all Palestinians are Hamas.

Hamas is the democratically elected gazan ruling party, who attacked the civilian population of israel on october 8th.

None of this is my slant, it's just the facts.

Israel is at war now, with hamas. Using human shields and hostages to attempt to reverse the global backlash of what they committed is not going to stop this war, let alone curry favor. I'm, like anyone who has any ties to the region, well aware of the attitude towards israel, and it's never been a consideration because it's never from anyone with any stakes. None of this is surprising, it's just expected.

I have full sympathy for gazans as a whole (the secular ones who don't habor hate) as they literally never have anyone who gives a gently caress about them beyond being political pawns, including fellow west bank Palestinians and neighboring pan arab states.

They just want peace and safe families as much as we do, but that's not how this goes..it's beyond tired.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yesterday all of the main channels interviewed survivors and almost every single one went on an uninterrupted rant on how the government is a failure and how every single politician even remotely involved should be ashamed to show their face in public, Netanyahu is thus far publicly unphased and he seems to already be planning for the day after the war but come the next peace-time elections he'll be running against the "hey, I'm not the guy who was in charge for a decade and a half before the single largest security fiasco in the history of Israel happened" candidate, the two things working in his favor is his loyal cult members who are already working hard on blaming everyone other than dear leader and the fact the current opposition largely consists of buffoons who sold out and collaborated with Netanyahu in the past and are thus also damned by association and by their involvement with the debacle, Ganz, Lapid, Yaalon, they were all involved, and particularly they all held key roles during past Gaza incursions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

To mirror a previous poster that said not all zionists are jews, not all Palestinians are Hamas.

Hamas is the democratically elected gazan ruling party, who attacked the civilian population of israel on october 8th.

None of this is my slant, it's just the facts.

Israel is at war now, with hamas. Using human shields and hostages to attempt to reverse the global backlash of what they committed is not going to stop this war, let alone curry favor. I'm, like anyone who has any ties to the region, well aware of the attitude towards israel, and it's never been a consideration because it's never from anyone with any stakes. None of this is surprising, it's just expected.

I have full sympathy for gazans as a whole (the secular ones who don't habor hate) as they literally never have anyone who gives a gently caress about them beyond being political pawns, including fellow west bank Palestinians and neighboring pan arab states.

They just want peace and safe families as much as we do, but that's not how this goes..it's beyond tired.

They're making no efforts to minimize civilian casualties, claiming it's because it's impossible because Hamas uses the people that Israel has corralled together and forced into Gaza as human shields. Unless you think entire apartment buildings, schools, and hospitals are full of Hamas leaders they're just indiscriminately killing Palestinians.