Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
unstable molecules. worked for Mr Fantastic. surely Vought can whip some up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I think she will need much better numbers first.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
She could make a fortune on OnlyFans, slowly eating M&Ms until she bursts from her clothes or some poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Don't threaten Seth Rogan with a good time.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Marsupial Ape posted:

She could make a fortune on OnlyFans, slowly eating M&Ms until she bursts from her clothes or some poo poo.

She hirs all the pervert quadrants

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Perverts are huge into M&Ms

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mcbexx posted:

Enid from "Wednesday"?

Oh haven't seen it even as a big fan of the movies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

a seagull posted:

I'm still enjoying the show but you're right. I can't quite put my finger on why but in The Boys the gross edgy shock moments feel impish to me, whereas here they feel... forced.

It's a much more nuanced show. This isn't a revenge show. It's about kids struggling to be adults ina hosed up world. Cocksplosions just seem from a different show

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Galactus actually had a kinda-sorta daughter named Galacta. And that's really all one needs to know about the character.

Holy poo poo her design

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Galactus actually had a kinda-sorta daughter named Galacta. And that's really all one needs to know about the character.

This is from a one-shot that's an awesome read if you can find it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Potentially re-opening a can of worms on Jordan so apologies in advance if the thread goes south again: I think one of the issues is that London Thor is being given by far the lions share of the meaty acting material and comes across as a stronger performer than Derek Luh, so in presentation the character comes across a bit as 'mostly female presenting, but switching to male when the situation requires'.

That seems in line with the character based on the conversation with their parents.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Emma can create several tons of blood from several kilos of home cooked spaghetti. Just saying.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm gonna used my advanced science degree to suggest that Emma's powers might fall under the technical category of barely defined bullshit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Edit: doublepost?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Emma should be more of a "The Blob" kind of huge person rather than the "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" kind of huge person

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm gonna used my advanced science degree to suggest that Emma's powers might fall under the technical category of barely defined bullshit.

Compound V is just old timey wizard potions dressed up as science.

I think of all shows only Archer ever had a good explanation of how people would survive shrinking.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

That seems in line with the character based on the conversation with their parents.

So actually I disagree - they switch female specifically to assert themselves against Dad's bigotry (the wider story point being that Jordan is the only character making no concessions on their identity and suffers for it) but I think we are supposed to take the end of that conversation at face value: "I'm not your son or your daughter, I've always just been me" (misquoting slightly).

So textually I'm not sure I believe the character has a preference either way and I'm not sure their character arc is coded as them going anywhere with their sense of identity in that way.

e: unless I've misread and you were agreeing with me, in which case sorry

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

PostNouveau posted:

Emma should be more of a "The Blob" kind of huge person rather than the "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" kind of huge person

They want to stay away from that because of Rita from Doom Patrol doesn't have too much control over her growing, and often blobs out.

I'm enjoying how different the power dynamics are in this from The Boys. Still hosed up, just a different angle.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Do we know if Andre got Compound V or if he inherited his powers from his father the same way Ryan got his powers from Homelander?

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this show is eating Marvel's lunch, this is pretty much exactly what I would want from a live-action X-men show. teen drama, superpowered campus hijinx, lil' intrigue, big Youth Culture aesthetic

also, it's funny that the last live-action X-men show starred Polaris, and Andre is just male Polaris

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

pik_d posted:

Do we know if Andre got Compound V or if he inherited his powers from his father the same way Ryan got his powers from Homelander?

Vought's reaction to Ryan's existence indicates to me that kids like Andre and Maverick were dosed, since Ryan is younger than them but is the only one they tried to raise in a special compound and bury in secrecy.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

a seagull posted:

Vought's reaction to Ryan's existence indicates to me that kids like Andre and Maverick were dosed, since Ryan is younger than them but is the only one they tried to raise in a special compound and bury in secrecy.

So then genetics dictate the powers people get even when it's not passed down from parent to child via birth? That makes sense in a weird way.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The only inconsistency I don’t like is that it seems random-rear end if someone has super strength/durability included with their signature power or not. Starlight already has her electricity/light deal, which is awesome…but she can tank a .50 cal? Jordon can shapeshifter between genders…but can tank Goldenboy and shoot force waves?

I know it’s all for plot convenience, but it’s noticeable.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Andre did talk about how he wanted to be his dad power wise when he was a kid, so it might depend on how much you can influence what compound V does to you. It seems like it’s relatively easy to if you’re aware, but most kids aren’t.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
*Rubbing hands Dr. Mendelishly*

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

bobjr posted:

Andre did talk about how he wanted to be his dad power wise when he was a kid, so it might depend on how much you can influence what compound V does to you. It seems like it’s relatively easy to if you’re aware, but most kids aren’t.

If that were true/they didn't get dosed as babies Vought would be in some poo poo marketing wise since they'd have hundreds of little Gokus and Vegetas running around infringing a foreign copyright

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh mate, I'm sorry but it's called The Woods.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Edit: oof, I don't know how I got it in my head it was the forest

Can't see the woods for the forest?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

La Louve Rouge posted:

this show is eating Marvel's lunch, this is pretty much exactly what I would want from a live-action X-men show. teen drama, superpowered campus hijinx, lil' intrigue, big Youth Culture aesthetic

Yeah seriously this. I picked up Disney a few months ago so I could binge Marvel stuff, and all the miniserieses that have come out in the past five years have been... meh. She-Hulk, New Mutants, Loki, Ms. Marvel. None of them were bad, they all had top-notch production values, good acting and decent writing, but none have any edge to them. Except Wandavision, that was awesome.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Marsupial Ape posted:

The only inconsistency I don’t like is that it seems random-rear end if someone has super strength/durability included with their signature power or not. Starlight already has her electricity/light deal, which is awesome…but she can tank a .50 cal? Jordon can shapeshifter between genders…but can tank Goldenboy and shoot force waves?

I think it's been mentioned that some level of super strength/durability/healing is part of the deal, even if you're only taking a boost from TempV. There are some that are stronger, but most of them are tougher than a normal person.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

PicklePants posted:

I think it's been mentioned that some level of super strength/durability/healing is part of the deal, even if you're only taking a boost from TempV. There are some that are stronger, but most of them are tougher than a normal person.

Yeah, also see Emma jumping off the table while smol. Adjusted to size, that would be like a 100 feet+ fall.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It doesn't actually scale that way, smaller creatures have lower terminal velocity because of the square/cube thing so they can in fact fall from higher heights than the bigger ones.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shageletic posted:

Oh haven't seen it even as a big fan of the movies.

The first episode isn't that good. It suffers from serious "It's the pilot and we don't have the character's 'voice' right yet" syndrome.

But it gets a lot better as it goes on. Not great. But worth a watch.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shageletic posted:

It's a much more nuanced show. This isn't a revenge show. It's about kids struggling to be adults ina hosed up world. Cocksplosions just seem from a different show

I wish they hadn't even put in the plot about The Forest.

Just have a superpowered Fame meets CW college drama in the youtube/Instagram era.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've been wondering if The Woods set used to depict Luke's dreams in the Gen V pilot was Amazon reusing the forest planet set from The Expanse.

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Alchenar posted:

So actually I disagree - they switch female specifically to assert themselves against Dad's bigotry (the wider story point being that Jordan is the only character making no concessions on their identity and suffers for it) but I think we are supposed to take the end of that conversation at face value: "I'm not your son or your daughter, I've always just been me" (misquoting slightly).

So textually I'm not sure I believe the character has a preference either way and I'm not sure their character arc is coded as them going anywhere with their sense of identity in that way.

So I'm the better part of a decade + one pandemic time soup apart from my early transition days, but o man oh geez did every interaction Jordan had with their parents ping some old memories. The scramble to hide any trace of girl clothes or makeup when the parents are banging at the door, feeling required to present male to mollify your parents, the "I'm still the same person / the son you wanted never existed" speech. When Jordan's dad quotes someone calling them an "outstanding young man (sic)", masc Jordan gives this wince that I recognized immediately. I lived that wince for every family event over a two year time frame.

I was curious how they were going to dive into Jordan's personality when they repeatedly called them bi-gender in the first two episodes. They obviously ratchet up other people's confusion about them, but as you said, Jordan has a firm grip on who they are.

To me, it's a blunt, inelegant beat-for-beat trans girl story, but I mean it's The Boys / Gen V so it's kind of not sticking out for being as subtle as an air raid siren. They might go deeper with their self identity, they might not. Either way, I really like the character.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh yeah I absolutely agree that beat for beat it is an extremely openly a trans story.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

pik_d posted:

So then genetics dictate the powers people get even when it's not passed down from parent to child via birth? That makes sense in a weird way.

Yeah, there has to be something somewhere inside a person that reacts to V in a predictable manner for that person given Kimiko got her exact same powers back, and Butcher/Hughie got the exact same powers every time they used temp-V, so whatever that factor is being passed down hereditarily makes sense.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

In the comics and I think implicitly in the shows a certain type of toughness and strength is baked into every superhero.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I wish they hadn't even put in the plot about The Forest.

Just have a superpowered Fame meets CW college drama in the youtube/Instagram era.

Of two minds about this. First, the Woods plotline has completely dwarfed and turned the standing plotline insignificant when I was kinda thrown that Jordan brought it up again. Like who cares if you're sitting on top of a superhero concentration camp.

But then can a show sustain itself on something l as a superhero ranking system that changes every week? Seems like slim pickings without the real life context and weight of real life dancing/performing arts, or real life people aka reality shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We'll only know by the end of the season, but I'm currently of the view they've perfectly paced it: the superhero college plotline had centre stage just long enough to establish all the main characters and their central tensions in the story and with each other, and the Woods is the inciting event that's thrown them all together. A generic teen college drama with CGI would have been a waste of a show.