Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

this was way more than just one L.

Dallas came in basically 100% healthy and showed nothing. Full O line. Yeah, we’re missing Diggs, but he wouldn’t have changed last night.

There was absolutely nothing redeeming in that game last night. It’d be fine if it was a well fought game and there was something to adjust in the future. But there wasn’t.

The loss in the playoffs last year was what these adjustments were about. They adjusted from January, right into the dumpster
The hope for the cowboys season is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

biceps crimes posted:

Dallas came in basically 100% healthy and showed nothing. Full O line. Yeah, we’re missing Diggs, but he wouldn’t have changed last night.

There was absolutely nothing redeeming in that game last night. It’d be fine if it was a well fought game and there was something to adjust in the future. But there wasn’t.

The loss in the playoffs last year was what these adjustments were about. They adjusted from January, right into the dumpster

Yeah, their gameplan in the off-season was to adjust and improve so they could get over the hump that is San Francisco, who they played to two close playoff games in a row. They changed OCs, they got another deep threat, they trusted their head coach to deliver on his offensive promises.

All the changes you made have actually made you a shittier version of the team you were last season. You adjusted yourself further away from your goal, not closer, and the fashion with which you lost now turns all eyes onto your head coach who promised he had the answers that Kellen Moore did not.

I like Dak, I really do. I think he can be a good QB. But he is still a step down from predecessor and while it sucks to say I think San Francisco has probably killed his most die hard supporters these past three years. The losses are not all on his shoulders, I want to make that clear. But he has never risen to the occasion. Even Romo, say what you will about him, has at least one playoff loss that he didn't directly contribute to.

(It was the Dez catch/no catch game--DeMarco Murray fumble and nonexistent defense doomed that team, Romo drat near played as perfect as he ever had)

Is it at all possible for the Cowboys to turn around their season? Sure, they might even make the playoffs still. And if they survive the onslaught of hell teams coming their way in the coming weeks, they'll have 100% earned a shot in the postseason. But that loss last night was about as thorough a dismantling as I've ever seen of a would-be contender. The 49ers were playing chess while the Cowboys were eating mudpies.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

biceps crimes posted:

This

For as demoralizing and a warning sign as the Cards game was, this was the death blow. There's no path to playoff success without going either through the Niners or through someone who went through the Niners. On every level they didn't look like they'd even compete in a situation like that, and you had players and fans hyping this already like a preview of that going into the game. They won't be healthier than this, and they won't come into a situation like that more hyped than fresh off kicking Mac's rear end 38-3 at home; this was still the result

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/1712064975894642842?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

What are the chances that the Pats fire Belichick and end up in the better situation coaching wise? 0.00000001%?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

GM Bill has to go but I can't see Coach Bill being happy with that and welp

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
If Bill gets canned, then does he become the big target for any teams with questions about their HC's future? You know that there's more than a few owners who'd want a chance at Bill getting back to form in a new environment

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

mcmagic posted:

What are the chances that the Pats fire Belichick and end up in the better situation coaching wise? 0.00000001%?

I'd hire Belicheck if I owned the Chargers or Cowboys.

Hell, Jerry already let Parcells rebuild the team once.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Most coaches are bad but they’ve been on a downward trajectory since the Cam year. They’ve gotta try something. The Cards were supposed to be 0-17 and they have the same record as New England and look way more competitive in their games.

That dumb Mac Jones quote applies to Bill too. When he builds a roster with like 5 above average players (and most of them are on special teams) it doesn’t matter how good his scheme is.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Shinji2015 posted:

If Bill gets canned, then does he become the big target for any teams with questions about their HC's future? You know that there's more than a few owners who'd want a chance at Bill getting back to form in a new environment

I'd definitely take a stab on him if I'm looking to hire. Worst case, you're still poo poo. Best case, BB goes back to form and brings you a contender and super bowl. Just don't let him have GM powers.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He's 71. Not counting Romeo Crennel as an interim HC, Marv Levy is the oldest modern era at 72. I think he'd just retire if he were forced out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If he’s too proud to accept a GM here I dunno how excited he’s going to be to go work for Tom Telesco or whatever.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Teams itching to hire Bill and his DC.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I dunno if Belichick would sign on to any other team unless they also gave him personnel power, at which point that team would just end up with the same problems as New England.

Maybe he cares enough about breaking Shula's record that he'd be willing to set his ego aside and report to a GM, but I kind of doubt it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Also, that article by a looped in guy like Howe is a shot across the bow by Kraft. He wanted it out there.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think at this age, the only team Bill would probably go to is the Giants. Which would probably be a disaster.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If Belichick retired after Brady left and Generic Old White GM/Coach X took over and had an identical performance as BB has, would they be getting fired midseason this year?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grozz Nuy posted:

I dunno if Belichick would sign on to any other team unless they also gave him personnel power, at which point that team would just end up with the same problems as New England.

Maybe he cares enough about breaking Shula's record that he'd be willing to set his ego aside and report to a GM, but I kind of doubt it.

Some team would absolutely hire him and give him whatever he wants.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Some team would absolutely hire him and give him whatever he wants.

Comedy option is the Jets

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ayudo posted:

I'd hire Belicheck if I owned the Chargers or Cowboys.

Hell, Jerry already let Parcells rebuild the team once.

Jerry will never, ever, ever under any circumstances let a coach like Parcells touch his team again.

Doesn't matter how much good it would do, if Jerry can't take credit then it's a nonstarter.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shinjobi posted:

Jerry will never, ever, ever under any circumstances let a coach like Parcells touch his team again.

Doesn't matter how much good it would do, if Jerry can't take credit then it's a nonstarter.

Wouldn't Sean Payton want total control?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

fsif posted:

If Belichick retired after Brady left and Generic Old White GM/Coach X took over and had an identical performance as BB has, would they be getting fired midseason this year?
Oh, 100%. But past performance does matter because you can go "yeah, but he also does seasons like that so maybe this is just a flukey year", which is why I think Daboll is safe this year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Also, that article by a looped in guy like Howe is a shot across the bow by Kraft. He wanted it out there.

Johnathan Kraft. Bob has no idea where he is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Simplex posted:

Comedy option is the Jets

He hates Woody Johnson (which isn't unreasonable)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Johnathan Kraft. Bob has no idea where he is.

He might not know which massage parlor he's at, but he definitely knows he's in one.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

Teams itching to hire Bill and his DC.

I’d hire Steve for DC if he’s looking for a job when dad retires.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

a neat cape posted:

Wouldn't Sean Payton want total control?

Yeah, probably why he didn't get the job over fat mike

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, probably why he didn't get the job over fat mike
Wasnt he still coaching the Saints when that happened, and retired after the next year? Also Jerruh may not have wanted to part with a pick (or picks) to trade for a HC.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Man I had forgotten the Broncos had to give up a 1st and a 2nd to land Payton. Jesus. That makes any talk of firing him this year or even over the next few years even more improbable.

Geroge Paton is really putting together a hell of a resume. His hits are like, uh... Patrick Surtain?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Docjowles posted:

Man I had forgotten the Broncos had to give up a 1st and a 2nd to land Payton. Jesus. That makes any talk of firing him this year or even over the next few years even more improbable.

Geroge Paton is really putting together a hell of a resume. His hits are like, uh... Patrick Surtain?

I don't know why Paton still has a job when Penner and Payton are controlling everything now.

Also, the Penners gave Walmart money. Sean Payton's contract is nothing to them

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think at this age, the only team Bill would probably go to is the Giants. Which would probably be a disaster.

How would NY becoming a disaster be a change?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Paton didn't have anything to do with hiring Payton. That one is all on the Walmarts.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Can we talk about GMs getting fired in here?

Because here’s the 25 year old rookie fitterer traded up for getting stood up by a couple linemen I’ve never heard of

https://twitter.com/keepblitzin/status/1712162476014358876?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Scott has been absolutely terrible at drafting, I would support this entirely.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Fire McDaniels

That is all

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Can we talk about GMs getting fired in here?

Because here’s the 25 year old rookie fitterer traded up for getting stood up by a couple linemen I’ve never heard of

https://twitter.com/keepblitzin/status/1712162476014358876?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

That is some terrible footwork.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Is anyone at a high risk of a mid season firing? I thought the Bears coach but the Washington win might’ve saved that for a bit.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Staley is probably the most likely to get fired first if the Chargers keep dropping winnable games. Eberflus and Rivera are almost certainly dead men walking but it probably won't be until after the season or close to it if the owners want to get a head start on the coaching search. McCarthy won't get canned until Dallas flops in the playoffs. The Raiders probably can't even afford to fire McDaniels. Stefanski, Taylor, and Allen all feel like they're probably safe, but it could change depending on how the rest of the season plays out.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Canada, maybe? Depending on if the Steelers keep fluking into meaningless wins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

CapnAndy posted:

Canada, maybe? Depending on if the Steelers keep fluking into meaningless wins?

Would've happened already this week if it were going to.