Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nogoodpeople
Oct 9, 2023

by Modern Video Games

Gumball Gumption posted:

They're making no efforts to minimize civilian casualties, claiming it's because it's impossible because Hamas uses the people that Israel has corralled together and forced into Gaza as human shields. Unless you think entire apartment buildings, schools, and hospitals are full of Hamas leaders they're just indiscriminately killing Palestinians.

Neither side has tried to minimize civilian casualties at this point in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

boar guy posted:

not sure how to respond to a Facebook friend and associate who posts every hour or two that he can't believe there's no outcry of justice for Israel and that 'your Jewish friends see this and will remember it, any marginalized group gets attacked and it's post after post but nothing for Israel?'

an I supposed to express pity for the apartheid state with it's boot on the neck of the snarling dog it's about to starve and shotgun to death? what do I tell this guy

You're supposed to delete Facebook

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

To mirror a previous poster that said not all zionists are jews, not all Palestinians are Hamas.

Hamas is the democratically elected gazan ruling party, who attacked the civilian population of israel on october 8th.

None of this is my slant, it's just the facts.

Israel is at war now, with hamas. Using human shields and hostages to attempt to reverse the global backlash of what they committed is not going to stop this war, let alone curry favor. I'm, like anyone who has any ties to the region, well aware of the attitude towards israel, and it's never been a consideration because it's never from anyone with any stakes. None of this is surprising, it's just expected.

I have full sympathy for gazans as a whole (the secular ones who don't habor hate) as they literally never have anyone who gives a gently caress about them beyond being political pawns, including fellow west bank Palestinians and neighboring pan arab states.

They just want peace and safe families as much as we do, but that's not how this goes..it's beyond tired.

besides the hostages, what human shields is hamas using???

hamas is outside of gaza attacking settlements, they aren't hiding in gaza at all!

thats the loving insane thing, these bombings in gaza only serve a purpose of slaughtering palestinian civilians!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

everyone i know who was hard left, including the survivors of the mostly left southern villages have abandoned the two state solution. this act of war has mobilized a country that was divided, and all of its allies who normally advocate for restraint haven't.
we can debate back and forth but, that is the reality of where we are now.

So what exactly has changed? This just sounds like acceptance of what was already the de facto state of affairs. The occupied territories were barely viable to begin with and they've been carved up by so many settlements that no functional state could be built around them, and Israel was never going to abandon the settlers, so a two state solution been dead in the water for some time now. Since Israel won't divest the occupied territories, either it finds a way to integrate the Palestinians with the expanded Israeli state or it finds a way to integrate them with the soil. What do you think it's going to be? Is anyone looking ahead to trying to somehow integrate the survivors into Israeli society after Hamas is purged, or are they just going to rebuild the wall and resume waiting for them to quietly fade out of existence with the IDF occasionally prodding them along?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
If anyone has the time, could someone explain to me why there does not seem to be any credible opposition to Netanyahu? I know it's annoying to ask for a summary of the past 30 years, but what happened to the Labor party? Is it that hard to run a credible center-left party? Why is the right so much better at coalition building?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eric Cantonese posted:

If anyone has the time, could someone explain to me why there does not seem to be any credible opposition to Netanyahu? I know it's annoying to ask for a summary of the past 30 years, but what happened to the Labor party? Is it that hard to run a credible center-left party? Why is the right so much better at coalition building?
A lot is the haredim parties growing and basically loving what Bibi is doing. Far from all though!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

the holy poopacy posted:

So what exactly has changed? This just sounds like acceptance of what was already the de facto state of affairs. The occupied territories were barely viable to begin with and they've been carved up by so many settlements that no functional state could be built around them, and Israel was never going to abandon the settlers, so a two state solution been dead in the water for some time now. Since Israel won't divest the occupied territories, either it finds a way to integrate the Palestinians with the expanded Israeli state or it finds a way to integrate them with the soil. What do you think it's going to be? Is anyone looking ahead to trying to somehow integrate the survivors into Israeli society after Hamas is purged, or are they just going to rebuild the wall and resume waiting for them to quietly fade out of existence with the IDF occasionally prodding them along?

No one cares right now, to be brutally honest with you. The focus is on clearing any remaining threats in the villages they razed and then going in to dismantle the organization that attacked them.

At best people will agree internally we will figure out why these people were left to fend for themselves for 12 hours before the army came in, trust me there's anger there, but not as much as the imagery of the brutality committed released to the world by the people who committed it as propaganda. The country wants this settled, in a way that hasn't been seen since the last surprise attack.

It shouldn't be a surprise, I'm sure most of you are posting from countries that historically have done the exact same thing, some within this last century.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

nogoodpeople posted:

That German raver lady is still alive, that alone shows Hamas has infinitely more restraint than the dogs of the IDF

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

Why "besides the hostages?" The hostages are obviously functioning as human shields (shielding both Hamas and innocent Gazans).

Hostage-taking is a war crime, so is using people as human shields whether they're civilians or prisoners of war.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 5, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

nogoodpeople posted:

Some civilians are in an open air prison they have no choice in. Some choose to live in places right next to that open air prison as part of a genocidal resettlement program. I feel the worst for the innocents.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I’m curious if someone can explain how settlers are the same as civilians.

If someone is taking your land. Do you not have the right to take it back?

Israel has also armed settlers and settlements are the key pillar in their long term plan at genocide and ethnic cleansing. Why are they completely absolved from consequences?

nogoodpeople
Oct 9, 2023

by Modern Video Games

skipmyseashells posted:

That German raver lady is still alive, that alone shows Hamas has infinitely more restraint than the dogs of the IDF

Yes clearly the side that killed over 900 civilians have more restraint than the IDF.

Even the IDF wasn't outright killing people at the fence protest. They shot at the knees.

hamas is outside of gaza attacking settlements, they aren't hiding in gaza at all!

thats the loving insane thing, these bombings in gaza only serve a purpose of slaughtering palestinian civilians!

Israel tends to claim and most news organizations repeat the concept that Hamas tends to launch their misiles from inside Gaza and tends to set up their infrastructure in tunnels beneath the city.

I'd like to see some refutations, but this seems like a very one-sided way to put things. I doubt there is zero Hamas infrastructure or weapons caches within the city of Gaza itself.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Israel has a far-right electorate. There is no such thing as a active center-left party. Even Netanyahu's opposition was right wing.

In fact the biggest threat to Netanyahu is not from the left, it's from the far-right Orthodoxs who wish you implement and apply orthodox law to all and not allow foreign religions into the country even to visit as well as completely raze both Gaza and the West Bank immediately.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Didn't see this but someone is streaming live with cameras set up in Gaza and Ashkelon for any attacks. https://twitch.tv/rawreporting

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

To mirror a previous poster that said not all zionists are jews, not all Palestinians are Hamas.

Hamas is the democratically elected gazan ruling party, who attacked the civilian population of israel on october 8th.

None of this is my slant, it's just the facts.

Israel is at war now, with hamas. Using human shields and hostages to attempt to reverse the global backlash of what they committed is not going to stop this war, let alone curry favor. I'm, like anyone who has any ties to the region, well aware of the attitude towards israel, and it's never been a consideration because it's never from anyone with any stakes. None of this is surprising, it's just expected.

I have full sympathy for gazans as a whole (the secular ones who don't habor hate) as they literally never have anyone who gives a gently caress about them beyond being political pawns, including fellow west bank Palestinians and neighboring pan arab states.

They just want peace and safe families as much as we do, but that's not how this goes..it's beyond tired.

And where was this concern for the civilian population of Gaza who peacefully protested in 2018 and 2019 and were slaughtered as a result? Why do you think Hamas is as popular as it is? The majority of the population within Gaza has never known anything other than the open air prison. I simply cannot comprehend the pro-Israeli position. Israel has done everything it could possibly do to undermine and destroy any secular Palestinian organization and in fact supported Hamas against secular organizations. They have placed millions of people in a powder keg and refused to negotiate at any point with Palestinian leaders in an honest way. Why is Hamas so popular? Because Fatah tried collaborating in the West Bank and settlement construction has only increased. Every Palestinian can see what will happen if things stay as they have been. Negotiations have led nowhere. Israel has no interest in peace, they only desire capitulation and expulsion. This is not to defend Hamas - they obviously have done and continue to do awful things - but the existence of Hamas is the direct result of the actions of the Israeli government and pretending that Israel has not created this situation is absurd.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

nogoodpeople posted:

Even the IDF wasn't outright killing people at the fence protest. They shot at the knees.

They killed over 200 and maimed over 8,000.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Main Paineframe posted:

The PA, at least in theory. Not really sure how much the population of Gaza would be into that, but if Israel gains control of Gaza I suspect there'll be a bloody purge of just about anyone with any ties to Hamas, and after that I doubt anyone in Gaza would have any appetite left for putting up meaningful resistance to the PA.

Benny Gantz's political claim to fame is that he was the leader of a large party alliance (Blue and White) whose entire campaign platform was basically "Defeat Likud And Dethrone Netanyahu", and he promised repeatedly to form a government that did not include Netanyahu. With those promises in place, Blue and White did very well, winning about as many seats as Likud did. Then he betrayed Blue and White, cutting a deal with Likud to make Netanyahu Prime Minister in exchange for a promise that the Prime Minister seat would switch over to him 18 months later. Naturally, Blue and White fell apart as a result of his betrayal. All his alliance partners bailed on the alliance, and his own Israeli Resilience Party became much less popular, leaving him dependent on Netanyahu for any power. But he never got to be Prime Minister, because now that Gantz had gutted his own political support by betraying the principles he'd campaigned on, Netanyahu engineered the collapse of the government and sent things right back to elections, where the effects of his betrayal wreaked havoc on his political power: his party lost half its seats in the election and his former allies refused to rejoin Blue and White. While he still managed to play a role in the following Yamina/Yesh Atid government, due to the fact that they needed everyone they could get, he himself is a political nobody now and his party is barely able to keep itself above the electoral threshold to get Knesset representation.

I tell that story to show that yes, Benny Gantz is absolutely a patsy, and I wouldn't be shocked if Bibi somehow makes him take the blame for this. He's a guy who'll happily abandon his principles and betray his voters and political allies for power, and Netanyahu is quite good at using and manipulating that sort of person. On top of that, Gantz was the IDF Chief of General Staff from 2011-2015, and Eizenkot was IDF Chief of the General Staff from 2015-2019. When there's a lot of political outcry over Israel's failure to properly defend itself against Hamas, two guys who were in charge of most of the previous Israeli operations against Gaza seem like good scapegoating candidates.

I'd say that in general, this unity government is a bad thing, because Gantz is in no position to restrain the power of the right-wing. Lapid demanded the ouster of the far-right parties in exchange for participating in the unity government, which Netanyahu appears to have turned down. But Gantz basically just demanded Netanyahu make a separate security committee for him so he doesn't have to listen to Ben-Gvir's genocidal rants while he's busy running the war.

Point him at basically every world leader siding with Israel and every news site decrying the atrocities? If he's saying that there's no outcry of justice for Israel, then link him to the massive outcry of justice for Israel across the entire Western media. And then log off of Facebook for a while, because that person clearly isn't going to let facts or evidence get in the way of his persecution narrative. If they're so deluded that they think the world is ignoring that massacre, then there's not even any point in trying to argue them into supporting Palestine.

Was Gantz ideologically that different from Netanyahu? Or was this more about him not being a corrupt piece of poo poo than anything ideological or policy-based?

nogoodpeople posted:

Israel has a far-right electorate. There is no such thing as a active center-left party. Even Netanyahu's opposition was right wing.

And is that basically a product of immigration? Settlers coming in with pro-settler viewpoints? Are the youth different from older generations with respect to their country's relationship with the Palestinians?

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 11, 2023

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Why "besides the hostages?" The hostages are obviously functioning as human shields (shielding both Hamas and innocent Gazans).

Hostage-taking is a war crime, so is using people as human shields whether they're civilians or prisoners of war.

This is a quibble, but I think to "function" as a human shield there would have to be some hesitation in killing them. Hamas had the intent for sure, it's just not working out that way.

nogoodpeople posted:

"When my side brays for blood, it's good"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My friend asked me this question and I didn't have a good answer: Reporting on this sounds like Hamas just waltzed in and were able to massacre people with no resistance. He asked me "I thought Israel was one of the most armed countries in the world" and "Where were the police" and I didn't know. I haven't been following the details on this that closely because fog-of-war reporting is bad and also this is all so depressing, so I apologize if this has been addressed before, but was there civilian or police resistance in the Israeli towns where this happened?

e: I did see that one tweet about the security coordinator who led the defense of her kibbutz, but that's all I've seen and don't know if that was common or extraordinary

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gumball Gumption posted:

They're making no efforts to minimize civilian casualties, claiming it's because it's impossible because Hamas uses the people that Israel has corralled together and forced into Gaza as human shields. Unless you think entire apartment buildings, schools, and hospitals are full of Hamas leaders they're just indiscriminately killing Palestinians.

Hamas's military headquarters is literally in Al-Shifa hospital and their ammo depot was set up inside Islamic University, so probably not a great example.

They are almost all back in Gaza as of 24 hours ago. Only 1,000 people went into Israel. 90% of Hamas never left. Israel has retaken most of the areas they were staging attacks from on Saturday and Sunday.

Please get informed before making sweeping claims like that.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 11, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Lebanon is allegedly sending drones into Israel; Northern Israel is being warned to shelter in place.

Saudi Arabia and Egypt are sending out some state media figures to denounce Israel & see where it goes; Syria firing rockets, Saudi internet is apparently not censoring or going after people making GBS threads on Israel anymore, Egypt publicly defying Israel with-regards-to the border. It seems like Hamas' attack has galvanized existing anti-Israel forces in showing how flimsy Israel's forces are outside of their jets, and Israel's obscene attack on Gaza has galvanized even the most middle-class liberal in the satellite Arab states to take a stance.

No clue if this ultimately amounts to anything, but for as long as Israel is bombing Gaza citizens I'm hoping that the pressure (military and publicly) continues to escalate. Ideally the message sent should culminate in "no genocide, or fight a six-front war."

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

nogoodpeople posted:

Yes clearly the side that killed over 900 civilians have more restraint than the IDF.

Some one should probably tell that fifteen year old, Othman Helles, that got shot in the chest and died. Or the medic, Rouzan al-Najjar, they shot in the chest. Or any of the other 183 people they killed.

Like what the gently caress is this?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I don't think we need to accuse people of blanket supporting Israel's actions to make a useful point about the way this stuff is discussed. To me from reading nogoodpeople's and zer0spunk's posts it just seems like when it comes to Hamas it's "they are evil, they want to do harm, their indiscriminate killing proves they are bad terrorists" (not saying I disagree with this) but when it comes to Israel's decisions there is more of the "there is no free will in war. this is simple cause and effect, why are you surprised"

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

skipmyseashells posted:

The bit of reporting I've seen on this seems dubious. Her mother claims she's alive but her mother's sources are unclear at best.

I'd love to be wrong here but that's what I've seen of that.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

zer0spunk posted:

Hamas is the democratically elected gazan ruling party

The word "democratically" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. The current de facto government of the Gaza Strip has not faced the electorate in what's approaching 18 years.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Decon posted:

The bit of reporting I've seen on this seems dubious. Her mother claims she's alive but her mother's sources are unclear at best.

I'd love to be wrong here but that's what I've seen of that.

The evidence is that her credit card was used in Gaza. Which completely ignores the possibility that one of her captors used it.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

nogoodpeople posted:

The femoral artery runs through the back of the knee. Hope this helps. Even if it didn't, it is absolutely idiotic to claim that shooting someone with live ammo anywhere on the body is not an intent to kill that person.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

zoux posted:

My friend asked me this question and I didn't have a good answer: Reporting on this sounds like Hamas just waltzed in and were able to massacre people with no resistance. He asked me "I thought Israel was one of the most armed countries in the world" and "Where were the police" and I didn't know. I haven't been following the details on this that closely because fog-of-war reporting is bad and also this is all so depressing, so I apologize if this has been addressed before, but was there civilian or police resistance in the Israeli towns where this happened?

e: I did see that one tweet about the security coordinator who led the defense of her kibbutz, but that's all I've seen and don't know if that was common or extraordinary

The majority of Israeli security apparatus was focused on the West Bank and supporting settlers. They has assumed that Gaza had largely been pacified.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Neurolimal posted:

Lebanon is allegedly sending drones into Israel; Northern Israel is being warned to shelter in place.

Saudi Arabia and Egypt are sending out some state media figures to denounce Israel & see where it goes; Syria firing rockets, Saudi internet is apparently not censoring or going after people making GBS threads on Israel anymore, Egypt publicly defying Israel with-regards-to the border. It seems like Hamas' attack has galvanized existing anti-Israel forces in showing how flimsy Israel's forces are outside of their jets, and Israel's obscene attack on Gaza has galvanized even the most middle-class liberal in the satellite Arab states to take a stance.

No clue if this ultimately amounts to anything, but for as long as Israel is bombing Gaza citizens I'm hoping that the pressure (military and publicly) continues to escalate. Ideally the message sent should culminate in "no genocide, or fight a six-front war."

Source any of your claims.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

I dont know posted:

The majority of Israeli security apparatus was focused on the West Bank and supporting settlers. They has assumed that Gaza had largely been pacified.

Based on the rumors floating around higher IDF officers, I don't think purposeful ignoring of the situation can be ruled out either.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

shades of blue posted:

This is not to defend Hamas - they obviously have done and continue to do awful things - but the existence of Hamas is the direct result of the actions of the Israeli government and pretending that Israel has not created this situation is absurd.

Those "buts" are always doing the heavy lifting ITT

I can't engage whataboutism as an excuse for massacres, it serves absolutely no purpose. I could just as easily keep going backwards from the olso accords in 93, down to the Byzantine era land claims if that's the point of this, it's an endless back and forth and whataboutism isn't my thing. I actually know the history here beyond the repeated rhetoric, and so can any else easily by looking up the history.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mean Baby posted:

I’m curious if someone can explain how settlers are the same as civilians.

The vast majority of Israelis killed were not settlers. Nobody is settling Gaza since the disengagement. In fact the reason Hamas was so successful is that the IDF was sent to the West Bank to protect settlers instead of Israelis near Gaza.

quote:

If someone is taking your land. Do you not have the right to take it back?

This is exactly what right-wing Zionists say about "taking back Judea and Samaria." The idea that land really should belong to you, even the fact that it belonged to your ancestors, does not justify going there and killing everyone you see.

Your question is basically libertarian and the answer is no, human life is more important than property rights.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Some civilians are in an open air prison they have no choice in. Some choose to live in places right next to that open air prison as part of a genocidal resettlement program. I feel the worst for the innocents.

Geographical proximity to a prison isn't a vector for moral culpability, and nobody is settling Gaza since 2005.

If you think Israelis are all guilty and culpable because they sustain the state that sustains these atrocities, then you can say that, but it doesn't make sense to think the Israelis who live near Gaza are worse than the Israelis who live far from it.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 11, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Eric Cantonese posted:

The extremely simplified tl;dr version of 30 years of Israeli public opinion is:

An Israeli Labor government under Prime Minister Rabin negotiated the Oslo accords in the 90's for peace with Palestine. It was very controversial because many Israelis thought they were giving up too much or putting people's lives at risk with some of the provisions. Rabin was eventually assassinated by a right-wing Israeli who accused him of selling out Israel.

Afterwards, Ariel Sharon made a visit to Jerusalem that was controversial. The visit itself was peaceful, but afterwards there were riots. Eventually, the second intifada started and the Israeli middle and right (and some of the left) felt like they had given up so much in Oslo for peace, but the Palestinians were turning it down and launching a second intifada to kill a bunch of people.

The labor party basically completely collapsed after that and a large chunk of the population turned against any policy that would give up Israeli security guarantees. Then, there were just more and more right-wing parties that ran on that message and would basically say "Remember Oslo? They are going to get us killed again for nothing." whenever someone else proposed negotiations.

The structure of the Israeli Knesset also contributes to this because you only need ~3% of the vote to get a guaranteed seat. So, tons of small extremist parties have flourished and the major political parties are all required to have these extremist parties support them in order to form a coalition. That means basically every government since the early 2000's has had absolutely extreme parties in major leadership positions who were never able to get those positions before and shift the Overton window.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

I can't engage whataboutism as an excuse for massacres, it serves absolutely no purpose. I could just as easily keep going backwards from the olso accords in 93, down to the Byzantine era land claims if that's the point of this, it's an endless back and forth and whataboutism isn't my thing. I actually know the history here beyond the repeated rhetoric, and so can any else easily by looking up the history.

The but has nothing to do with whataboutism. Hamas was supported and became the dominant party within Palestine as a result of Israeli action. That is the history of Hamas.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

zoux posted:

Others have commented on this, but this NYTimes article looks to have good details on some of what happened.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/10/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-security-failure.html

Some crazy quotations in it too - “Hamas is very, very restrained and understands the implications of further defiance,” said Tzachi Hanegbi, Israel’s national security adviser, in a radio interview six days before the assault.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hamas's military headquarters is literally in Al-Shifa hospital and their ammo depot was set up inside Islamic University, so probably not a great example.

UN fact finding mission from back in 09 had this to say about the Islamic University

"The Mission saw the destruction caused to the American School. It also saw the destruction caused at the Islamic University and in other university buildings that were destroyed or damaged. These were civilian, educational buildings and the Mission did not find any information about their use as a military facility or their contribution to a military effort that might have made them a legitimate target in the eyes of the Israeli armed forces"

Perhaps that's changed! Maybe the fact finding mission missed it! But this is the issue with taking anything the Israeli government says about Hamas presence anywhere at face value - they just sort of say it and never seem to feel the need to prove it. When they destroyed the al-Jalaa building, they claimed there was Hamas there too. No one who worked in the building apparently ever saw them though and Israel has yet to provide any evidence.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 11, 2023

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

zoux posted:

Yoinking this from IVFW, because it's behind a paywall at https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/10/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-security-failure.html

quote:

The four officials said the success of the attack, based on their early assessment, was rooted in a slew of security failures by Israel’s intelligence community and military, including:

- Failure by intelligence officers to monitor key communication channels used by Palestinian attackers;

- Overreliance on border surveillance equipment that was easily shut down by attackers, allowing them to raid military bases and slay soldiers in their beds;

- Clustering of commanders in a single border base that was overrun in the opening phase of the incursion, preventing communication with the rest of the armed forces;

- And a willingness to accept at face value assertions by Gazan military leaders, made on private channels that the Palestinians knew were being monitored by Israel, that they were not preparing for battle.

The next failure was operational.

Two of the officials said that the Israeli border surveillance system was almost entirely reliant on cameras, sensors and machine guns that are operated remotely.

Israeli commanders had grown overly confident in the system’s impregnability. They thought that the combination of remote surveillance and arms, barriers above ground and a subterranean wall to block Hamas from digging tunnels into Israel made mass infiltration unlikely, reducing the need for significant numbers of soldiers to be physically stationed along border line itself.

But the remote-control system had a vulnerability: It could also be destroyed remotely.

Hamas took advantage of that weakness by sending aerial drones to attack the cellular towers that transmitted signals to and from the surveillance system, according to the officials and also drone footage circulated by Hamas on Saturday and analyzed by The New York Times.

Without cellular signals, the system was useless. Soldiers stationed in control rooms behind the front lines did not receive alarms that the fence separating Gaza and Israel had been breached, and could not watch video showing them where the Hamas attackers were bulldozing the barricades. In addition, the barrier turned out to be easier to break through than Israeli officials had expected.

From my read, it seems like they were complacent, watching the wrong direction, and didn't get communications until it was too late.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 5, 2023

nogoodpeople
Oct 9, 2023

by Modern Video Games

Neurolimal posted:

You do release Israel has done this before and won right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

No whataboutism or massacre apologies needed. The massacres are atrocities, and the government of Israel is ultimately responsible.