Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

The Kins posted:

Phantom Fury blogpost responding to the less-than-enthusiastic response to the demo. TLDR: Game delayed to next year, demo getting removed in 24 hours, updated demo coming in February.

The biggest complaint was about the weak feeling guns and that’s something they didn’t mention in that blog. Hit reactions yes, and that is an issue, but no mention of gun sounds or overall power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Phantom Fury blogpost responding to the less-than-enthusiastic response to the demo. TLDR: Game delayed to next year, demo getting removed in 24 hours, updated demo coming in February.

Having a hard time believing they were even ready to release this year. :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Ah, the "we made it poo poo on purpose" defence.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 9, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bumhead posted:

Boltgun was a game where I found the simple act of shooting fun enough to carry it to the end. The boltgun itself never got old for me and there's good gibbing. I also really dug how the game didn't take itself at all seriously. This is a specific, novelty take on an inherently super dumb thing, and I think Boltgun leaned into that rather than shy away from it.

There are issues elsewhere and I did take quite an extended break between finishing the first and back halves of it, which might speak volumes actually. There are enough genuinely great boomer shooters now that it's hard to put Boltgun any higher than mid.

I will say though that a Boltgun 2 would shoot straight to the top of my wishlist if they ever want to do it. There's a ton of scope to elevate what was already a decent first pass.

That's essentially where I landed with it. I'm not a diehard WH40K fan, but I know that there's a limitless amount of "canon" to draw from for potential sequel material, and that interests me greatly.

That stupid goddamned worthless floating skull though.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Next Boltgun should have an Eldar warrior as the lead and replace all the cleanse and purge stuff for making GBS threads on the skull-obsessed mon'keigh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

beginning to think the fury IP is a dud

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Should've called it Phantom Maiden instead.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

That’s for the best. I think they’ve got a good game there if they slow down and fix some of the issues. I enjoyed my playthrough of the demo in spite of the issues.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm always appreciative of a demo. But part of me kinda wishes we went back to playing demos later in the development process (god, remember PSX demo disks!) then stuff that is very clearly not ready for primetime.

Although I've been known to play titles with some serious Early Access jank just because I like the developers and the core gameplay loop is so fun (PowerWash Simulator)

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Traveller posted:

Next Boltgun should have an Eldar warrior as the lead and replace all the cleanse and purge stuff for making GBS threads on the skull-obsessed mon'keigh

Wait, wait, hear me out. . .

Fire Warrior, but actually good this time!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
playing through the Ion Fury campaign vanilla since it seemed a shame to never finish it after buying it day one. I reached the abandoned hospital nestled in the mountains after getting tired of samey industrial/tech corridors for map after map, and was really digging the vibe and was hoping I was over the glut of underground tunnels.

Friends, even if we didn't have proof of the devs' awful behavior, I think we all should have known that hatred lived in their hearts when the immediate next level after that was a goddamn sewer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Apparently John Ricci is stepping down at unity, if reddit is to be believed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Apparently John Ricci is stepping down at unity, if reddit is to be believed.

Yes, it's posted on the investor site. The replacement is very bad too, but so is every CEO

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Grimthwacker posted:

Wait, wait, hear me out. . .

Fire Warrior, but actually good this time!

In other words, a game where you're stomping around in a Tau battlesuit, so basically doubling as "what if Shogo was good" as well.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Doctor Bishop posted:

In other words, a game where you're stomping around in a Tau battlesuit, so basically doubling as "what if Shogo was good" as well.

I gotta admit, I almost always hate vehicles in FPS games (milsim stuff notwithstanding) but Turbo Overkill managed to implement a hovercar, hoverbike, and mech suit that all felt good to pilot, so I am open to another FPS taking a shot at it too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
firewarrior sucked to such a degree i think such a thing is impossible

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

site posted:

firewarrior sucked to such a degree i think such a thing is impossible

i remember a friend of mine who was huge into 40k got it and we all went over to his house to play on his ps2 and we played about 20 mins because it sucked so much. it's an unremitting stinker of a game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
it's quiet

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Kins posted:

it's quiet

Is that from the game? Because the thread has been slow for a few days I've felt. Kinda in a lull until ??? drops

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is that from the game? Because the thread has been slow for a few days I've felt. Kinda in a lull until ??? drops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieoZeOOwxuI

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Meanwhile, a pinball table that's not just Duke Nukem-themed, but specifically DN3D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdw1LoZ3NOo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wow, Boltgun deserves a most improved player award at the very least

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Doctor Bishop posted:

Obnoxiously anime Fire Warrior 2 would set off a particular kind of insufferable 40K nerd so I'm for it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

40k basically seems like anime with more skulls anyway I say go for it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I say 40K should 100% just go in a Fleischer animation style way for it games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdBedVCBuPY

To give the 40k the proper somber tone and seriousness it deserve.

(also I just love to see a 3d shooter go all out in the style.)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I don't think we'll see rubber hose animation but there's a surprisingly high hit rate with cel shaded shooters I feel

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, there's some really nice looking cell shaded stuff out there, has allowed for some really interesting art styles to be workable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you want a cartoony retro shooter you want captain wayne

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Even as someone who broadly enjoyed Forgive Me Father, the demo is not convincing me to buy the sequel.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Fallen aces is gonna own a bunch. EA can't come out soon enough

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Doctor Bishop posted:

I get that Tau were brand new at the time so they were a good thing to focus on, but we all know the real reason GW made Tau was to put mechs in Warhammer that werent taller than modern day skyscrapers. Making basically (greater) good Shogo in the first place would probably have been a way better idea.

I guess though while it was being made no one would anticipate how.. uhh.. mild the reception to Tau would be. Hell I'm a big mecha fan and even I was kinda put off by them.. There ARE way more mech-like vehicles at that scale now, so it would be pretty cool to go toe to toe with some Ork Stompas and those new, taller Dreadnaughts and those weird Sisters of Battle hardsuit things.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I know this is going to be an extremely lukewarm take for most if not all of this thread, but Blood is loving incredible, isn't it.

For whatever dumb reason I really struggled to get into it at the start after the first couple of chapters of Episode 1, but I'm glad I persisted with it. Episode 2 has been absolutely loving incredible. The intricacy and detail of these mansion/hotel maps is amazing. It's like a haunted house full of traps and mysteries, and such a fun showcase of the interactivity of the Build Engine. It's like Resident Evil dialed up to 11 in the form of a classic FPS.

Episode 2 of Blood is making me super excited for what's next for Cultic. Between them these might end up being my favourites in the genre across both the classic and modern revival side of it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Blood is loving incredible, isn't it.

YES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCT80HJWQ2A

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The 7th Guest posted:

if you want a cartoony retro shooter you want captain wayne

I played a Captain Wayne demo at a con and one of the devs was proudly telling all and sundry how he wanted to make sure you never would get stuck as I got autosaved with 12hp and no healing around. My demo time "ran out" pretty quickly after that lol

TBF it was a really fun game and I would have just restarted the level in the full release but lol at "you can't get stuck!" *guy playing is obviously stuck*

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bumhead posted:

I know this is going to be an extremely lukewarm take for most if not all of this thread, but Blood is loving incredible, isn't it.

For whatever dumb reason I really struggled to get into it at the start after the first couple of chapters of Episode 1, but I'm glad I persisted with it. Episode 2 has been absolutely loving incredible. The intricacy and detail of these mansion/hotel maps is amazing. It's like a haunted house full of traps and mysteries, and such a fun showcase of the interactivity of the Build Engine. It's like Resident Evil dialed up to 11 in the form of a classic FPS.

Episode 2 of Blood is making me super excited for what's next for Cultic. Between them these might end up being my favourites in the genre across both the classic and modern revival side of it.

I didn't play a ton of the game til the newest release because even on the GOG whole unit blood release it was a pain to get working and never felt fully right, but now it's in my top three classic style shooters along with Doom 2 and Dusk. Been wanting to wait to replay until Death Wish got its update but I think I might replay in the next few weeks for spooky month anyway in between Silent HIll replays.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mr E posted:

I didn't play a ton of the game til the newest release because even on the GOG whole unit blood release it was a pain to get working and never felt fully right, but now it's in my top three classic style shooters along with Doom 2 and Dusk. Been wanting to wait to replay until Death Wish got its update but I think I might replay in the next few weeks for spooky month anyway in between Silent HIll replays.

You should try Marrow, it's great

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Since we're on the subject and I've also been giving it a think, does somebody have some recommended Made to Order settings to sand off the rough edges?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Since we're on the subject and I've also been giving it a think, does somebody have some recommended Made to Order settings to sand off the rough edges?

I usually put the three cultist aggression settings to 'low', enemy count 'very high' and leave everything else at 'medium'

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Convex posted:

You should try Marrow, it's great

It'd be nice if they would fix that to work with something other than Fresh Supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I hopped back into Blood upon finding out about Marrow, which has been loving phenomenal - I’m about half-done and even on middling difficulty it’s nail-biting. But that inspired me to revisit the original, and what really threw me is how the little inclusion of Caleb’s backstory and the opening cinematic work with the CD music to make this all feel tragic despite the campiness and violence. I never thought I’d say this but ounce for ounce Blood is better than Quake was. I’ll grant my thoughts on Blood may be impacted by the death of an old friend this January who was a beta tester for the game and held it in immensely high regard… but that’s probably too heavy for this thread.

Tl;dr - Blood, Marrow, and NBlood are great.