Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Why does Leon's new av look familiar? Where is it from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Eric Cantonese posted:

Why does Leon's new av look familiar? Where is it from?

It's a weatherman from the San Francisco area named Leon Hunsaker.

:shrug:

https://kobi5.com/news/local-news/rogue-valley-broadcast-legend-leon-hunsaker-passes-away-185950/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 11, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bring the toe sucker guy back

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Surely they’re just excited about him as a challenger to Biden or someone with the potential to gently caress things up for the democrats? I can’t see republicans choosing him over trump, vaccine race science aside.

The crazy antiabortion Catholics who went full Qanon seem to like him a lot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oracle posted:

The crazy antiabortion Catholics who went full Qanon seem to like him a lot.
Yes, those well known Dem voters

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So today the Republican House members are going to closed-door vote for a speaker nominee, and in theory you only need a majority to win that vote but practically you need 217 to really win the speaker race in the full house. Which leads to this…

quote:

A group of Republicans, including Molinaro and Rep. Chip Roy (R-Tex.), introduced an amendment to the internal Republican rules regarding speaker votes. The draft, obtained by The Washington Post, dictates that once a candidate gets a majority of the support, Republicans will vote in a secret ballot for two rounds in an effort to reach 217 votes. The third round would be an open roll call, meaning lawmakers would state their support publicly to the group and candidates would have a chance to target specific lawmakers. If no candidate reaches 217 votes after five rounds, new candidates can enter the race and the process starts over.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/10/10/house-speaker-candidates-race-republicans/

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

smackfu posted:

So today the Republican House members are going to closed-door vote for a speaker nominee, and in theory you only need a majority to win that vote but practically you need 217 to really win the speaker race in the full house. Which leads to this…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/10/10/house-speaker-candidates-race-republicans/

Literally a group of elementary school kids “playing thumbs” up at recess on a rainy day.

Which gop member makes sure no one peaks when they have their heads down?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1711723695834575097

Perhaps the clearest evidence I've seen that small biz owners are the absolute core of the GOP voter base. You can see the only time that their opinions matched reality is post-9/11 and during Trump's term and is otherwise completely disconnected from actual trends. I don't know if they're lying or they actually believe that good economy is when the president is a Republican, but it doesn't really matter as far as outcomes.

Yes this is 100% true. Small biz owners aren’t millionaires, work 60-80+ hour weeks, and are extremely sensitive to anything that reduces their already thin margins which typically boils down increased labor costs and higher taxes. Their interests are perfectly aligned with the GOP.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

smackfu posted:

So is this to avoid Republicans having to openly piss off Trump if they don’t vote for Jordan?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

So is this to avoid Republicans having to openly piss off Trump if they don’t vote for Jordan?

That and hoping a couple members of the suicide caucus will get in line if things are secret.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

nachos posted:

Yes this is 100% true. Small biz owners aren’t millionaires, work 60-80+ hour weeks, and are extremely sensitive to anything that reduces their already thin margins which typically boils down increased labor costs and higher taxes. Their interests are perfectly aligned with the GOP.

Citation extremely needed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ravenfood posted:

It really depends on what type of business and how far along it is. Lots of small business owners will try to do everything themselves to cut costs, which can lead to crazy hours.

A survey from a small business advisory firm found that small business owners do work more on average than the regular person, but only 19% are working more than 60 hour weeks. That's not nothing, but the vast majority of small business owners aren't pulling 60+ hour weeks. Roughly 2/3 of them are between 40 hours and 59 hours.

quote:

19% of small business owners work 60+ hours per week.
30% work 50 – 59 hours per week.
33% work 40 – 49 hours per week.
14% work 30 – 39 hours per week.

https://www.thealternativeboard.com/blog/new-survey-shows-work-life-balance-is-possible-but-not-likely-for-entrepreneurs

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

smackfu posted:

So is the "secret ballot" with the full House, or just the Republicans? Because lol if it's with the full House and Jeffries gets the gavel because one too many Republicans did a protest vote against the main 3.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ravenfood posted:

I have small business owner family and yeah I can attest to this. They work crazy hours.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

I AM GRANDO posted:

Surely they’re just excited about him as a challenger to Biden or someone with the potential to gently caress things up for the democrats? I can’t see republicans choosing him over trump, vaccine race science aside.

Republican talking heads spent a couple of months hyping him up as a totally-legitimate candidate who was Just Asking Questions and was way better than Biden so maybe the Democrats should vote for him. However, in doing so, since right-wing media is such a bubble, they essentially made the case that Kennedy is an Honorary Republican, and his anti-vax stance has attracted Republican voters who are hesitant about Trump because he authorized the Kill Shot and has remained proud of it.

Now, how many of those Republican anti-vaxxers are going to actually stick with that principle and pull the lever for not-Trump is still highly up in the air. Surely, the majority of Republicans are just going to vote for Trump regardless, and Kennedy will certainly pull in some weirdo "I need to vote for a Kennedy because :decorum:" Democrats. But the conservatives with heavy brain poisoning from "doing their own research" are the questionable ones in this scenario.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Randalor posted:

So is the "secret ballot" with the full House, or just the Republicans? Because lol if it's with the full House and Jeffries gets the gavel because one too many Republicans did a protest vote against the main 3.

It’s just the Republicans and it’s not a binding vote.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah it’s just trying to avoid “I have 51% of the GOP caucus so I’m a valid speaker candidate” and then immediately losing the vote of the whole house because they don’t have the 217 votes they really need.

I guess the secret votes are mainly because a closed-door session with 200 people isn’t very secret and will get immediately leaked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I have small business owner family and yeah I can attest to this. They work crazy hours.

You have to to have a "successful" business. My dad was a fast food franchisee who owned percentages of dozens of stores at one point and all those guys are either workaholics or failures. My dad would routinely work 90 hour work weeks when he was still in the business.

Also many of them are upper middle class but they're leveraged to their eyeballs between business and personal debt, and margins are pretty thin in most small businesses so they have a sense of precarity even though they live what you or I would consider quite comfortable to lavish lifestyles.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

smackfu posted:

Yeah it’s just trying to avoid “I have 51% of the GOP caucus so I’m a valid speaker candidate” and then immediately losing the vote of the whole house because they don’t have the 217 votes they really need.

I guess the secret votes are mainly because a closed-door session with 200 people isn’t very secret and will get immediately leaked.

Secret votes are to try and minimize strategic vote grandstanding and get people to actually vote for who they want, in the hopes that some people are going to be more amenable once they aren't visibly Betraying Their Allies.

Most likely though, they're so hopelessly split that this isn't going to help.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Ravenfood posted:

Not a citation but a lot of small business owners are probably restaurant/bar owners and those people are basically working themselves to death with 12+ hour days.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not a citation but a lot of small business owners are probably restaurant/bar owners and those people are basically working themselves to death with 12+ hour days.

Restaurants are a complete pain in the rear end to own/operate. Bars are easy money if you have even a small amount of experience and do some basic business planning around concept/location.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Lord of Hats posted:

Secret votes are to try and minimize strategic vote grandstanding and get people to actually vote for who they want, in the hopes that some people are going to be more amenable once they aren't visibly Betraying Their Allies.

Most likely though, they're so hopelessly split that this isn't going to help.

I don't think secret voting is going to be the panacea they hope it is. They seem to be willfully resistant to the idea that shitheads in their midst are not just play acting as media hounds grandstanding for the press. Whether through ignorance or cynicism I can't imagine. Regardless, at this point a lot of the lunatics running the asylum are true believers and genuinely do just want to burn it all down around them but somehow they will also vote to put a speaker in place without intentionally crippling their tenure as speaker just because it's a private vote? Not so sure that's a super sturdy limb to be going out on.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Other owner-operator businesses are laundromats, dry cleaners, repair shops, landscaping, catering, cleaning in general, etc. All of the poo poo that actually keeps a city running tends to be owned and operated by one person with a handful of employees.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Arguing about the distribution of small business owners without stats or a specific definition of “small” is deeply silly.

You’re just comparing anecdotes based on tummy feels.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is basically how small business owners make sweeping political declarations and decide how to vote, so that fits.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
How long until the Republicans just give in and go with ranked voting? It guarantees a winner!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Arguing about the distribution of small business owners without stats or a specific definition of “small” is deeply silly.

We're going of an NFIB survey and here's their membership

This is who they polled. The hard stats are based on quantifiable reports regarding sales and inventory, and the soft stats are based on surveys conducted by NFIB. That enough?

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1712152166499078474

Good luck on the floor vote Steve!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That Trump endorsement worked wonders

https://twitter.com/olivia_beavers/status/1712152166499078474?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/WakeUp2Politics/status/1712154137469559156

Scalise can afford to lose *counting on fingers* one more vote.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Gaetz et al. preferred Jordan, right? Which will make the big vote more funny

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

zoux posted:

Scalise can afford to lose *counting on testes* one more vote.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Lol but also ew.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

zoux posted:

Scalise can afford to lose *counting on fingers* one more vote.

It is very funny to call yourself "David Duke without the baggage" and then later get your nuts shot off.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Republicans posted:

It is very funny to call yourself "David Duke without the baggage" and then later get your nuts shot off.

He certainly didn't secure a future for the white children in his balls

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trump's perennial ability to pick a loser continues!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Following up on before, they didn’t change the rules and do the secret vote, they just kept the 50% of the caucus threshold.

“Republicans voted 135-88 to table, or kill, the rule change.”

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
So, it looks like enough Rs have said that they aren't going to vote for Scalise to make it impossible for him to win on the first ballot. If that's the case, will this be like January 2023, where they'll just hold continuous votes unitl someone gets elected?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

smug n stuff posted:

So, it looks like enough Rs have said that they aren't going to vote for Scalise to make it impossible for him to win on the first ballot. If that's the case, will this be like January 2023, where they'll just hold continuous votes unitl someone gets elected?

Yes. Voting for a speaker is the only thing the House can do without a speaker

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So that white smoke coming out of the Republican conference room chimney. Is that because they picked a nominee or because they are burning Gaetz on a sacrificial altar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cimber posted:

So that white smoke coming out of the Republican conference room chimney. Is that because they picked a nominee or because they are burning Gaetz on a sacrificial altar?

That greasy gently caress wouldn't burn clean enough for white smoke