Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Ihmemies posted:

I slept for 9 hours, ate, went shopping, had a job interview etc. I estimate I spent maybe 20 minutes for each photo so around 8 hours total, maybe.

Hehe, beast mode. I love it.

That style of approach is how I make my way through school. A project is assigned weeks in advance, I gently caress around doing my own things learning my own stuff out in the field for the entire time until like the night before. Then I freak out with just hours left before it's due and somehow it all comes together in a beautiful fashion. Like all those things I was learning on my own, the places I visited, the thoughts that had been haunting my daily cognition just come together neatly and a theme emerges and I run with it.

You did really great work in short time. Every photo is not only a keeper, but a compelling story and wall-worthy, and that's impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

Super cool stuff. Are the numbered descriptions the task prompts or the titles for the photos?

They were the prompts organisers gave for participants every hour. We had to figure out an idea based on them and deliver a photo.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! I guess sometimes stress enhances performance, as long as the stressful situation doesn’t last for too long. :eng101:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Trying out my new HP Photosmart 735!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
that goat looks very spooky 10/10

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

work crew at sunset by Ross Payton, on Flickr

the storm drain by Ross Payton, on Flickr

jogger on the bridge by Ross Payton, on Flickr

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
A few recent developments that I liked. Camera is an old, old Leica III, filmstock is kodak colorplus 200. It sat on my desk for over a year after shooting before I dragged myself somewhere to drop it off.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Admiral Bosch posted:

A few recent developments that I liked. Camera is an old, old Leica III, filmstock is kodak colorplus 200. It sat on my desk for over a year after shooting before I dragged myself somewhere to drop it off.

Digging #2 and #3!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

very moody and aesthetic

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

that rules. a lot.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Aw, thanks :kimchi:

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
The photo was a terrible, low effort snap while I walked past a parade but I liked the fire and wanted to see what I could do with some cropping later. Two hours passed at home and whoops it turns out I fell down a Photoshop hole. Happens to me once a year and then I shelve it, hah.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 25, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Incredulous Dylan posted:

The photo was a terrible, low effort snap while I walked past a parade but I liked the fire and wanted to see what I could do with some cropping later. Two hours passed at home and whoops it turns out I fell down a Photoshop hole. Happens to me once a year and then I shelve it, hah.

Heck yea! This is great stuff. I love falling down Photoshop rabbit holes.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i like that

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

but are you lovin' it

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Trying out my new Samsung i70

burexas.irom posted:

but are you lovin' it

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Entropist posted:

Trying out my new Samsung i70

I'm into this one

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
^ nice!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Japan has a lot of weird little alleyways, sometimes there's stuff at the end, sometimes there's not.

_____

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
good times shooting in italy/france over the last few weeks with my fuji x100s/phone

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wanted to try to reproduce a look some photographer had been using in 60's. There was an article about her photos in today's magazine.

I realized it is hard. I'd have to make a composition from two photos - a background layer and the subject layer. If I want a good exposure on subject, the background will be even and flat. If in single exposure I modify the amount of light reaching the background, also the subject gets less light...

E: another:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 17, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tested the DCI-P3 Gainmap JPG HDR 8bit whatever option in lightroom 13..

Edited the whole set as HDR. It has a legacy fallback mode with SDR displays. That makes highlights not look ideal in the fallback mode, but not too bad either.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 24, 2023

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

I can't quite put my finger on why, but this is incredibly satisfying.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some more DCI-P3 HDR testing..

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

that's a cool picture

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Yes, you're getting some great intentional camera movement shots there. It always feels like painting more than photographing.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Took photos of something that's not birds or dogs for the first time in months.

Pinball at The Break-149 by Will King, on Flickr

Pinball at The Break-152 by Will King, on Flickr

Pinball at The Break-139 by Will King, on Flickr

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nice! Did you try any moodier shots with the exposure metered more in according to the pinball machines' brightness, by any chance?

E: I mean something like this. Sorry for touching your photos and giving unprompted ideas like this. I don't know you personally so doing this was probably a bad idea. It's just that there was a long edit derail at portrait thread, and I got bad influence from there.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 26, 2023

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Nice! Did you try any moodier shots with the exposure metered more in according to the pinball machines' brightness, by any chance?

E: I mean something like this. Sorry for touching your photos and giving unprompted ideas like this. I don't know you personally so doing this was probably a bad idea. It's just that there was a long edit derail at portrait thread, and I got bad influence from there.

Not a problem at all. I see what you mean, and what's funny is initially I accidentally left my camera in highlight-weighted metering from the last time I used it. After seeing how dark the first few shots came out I switched back to matrix metering. Didn't end up posting any of those first ones though. I was also using a mist filter which decreases the contrast and I'm still getting used to compensating for that in Lightroom. While editing it felt like I was increasing contrast an extreme amount already.

That's something I'll have to keep in mind to try some exposure compensation to not blow out the lights of the machines while still keeping the people and shadows recoverable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

Some more DCI-P3 HDR testing..

Do you move then hold or hold then move?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Do you move then hold or hold then move?

In first subject stays still for 4 secs, then moves with the light.

In second, I move the lens up with lens shift during the exposure. I had to stop and get a better grip to continue rotating, so pauses during exposure come from that.

In third, I first swing the camera around, then let it be still for a few seconds at the end of exposure.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Perfect 👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

I love water reflections so much but cheap glass is a close second. dr seuss land just around the corner