Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Should CMC even be playing in the fourth quarter? Experts say: maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Jesus christ, I just looked at the 49ers remaining schedule and they're going to be favored in every game but @Eagles aren't they?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Nervous posted:

Jesus christ, I just looked at the 49ers remaining schedule and they're going to be favored in every game but @Eagles aren't they?

I would not be surprised if they are favored against the Eagles at this moment. So far the 49ers only game that was decided by less than 3 scores or more was the Rams game, and in hindsight the Rams are a lot stronger this year than anticipated. The Eagles were within one score of WAS, who just got blown up by the Bears, the Vikings who are pretty mediocre, and the Pats who look to be one of the worst teams in the league at the moment. Obviously that is super oversimplified, since the Eagles beat the Rams by more than the 49ers did if you want to use alternative dumb metrics to determine team power after 5 weeks, but I think it is almost likely they will be favored using gambling lines as a metric the rest of the year, assuming no star player injuries. I don't think they will go undefeated though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I think Hurts would have to be injured and out of the game for the Niners to go into that game favored. It's in Philly.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Papercut posted:

I think Hurts would have to be injured and out of the game for the Niners to go into that game favored. It's in Philly.

Yeah, Philly should absolutely be favored at home unless they are missing important players. It really sucks that the 49ers need to play in Philly as well because that head to head matchup could decide home field advantage for the playoffs if they have the same record. So this game is doubly important and it's in the middle of a very tough stretch of games.

Seattle is no joke and they will definitely be competing for a playoff spot in late November.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 10, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The bird gauntlet starts in Seattle so yeah that's a tough stretch. Niners in Seattle will always be a slug fest.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah I was not trying to claim that this team is completely the same as previous teams apart from injuries. They are better and Brock is a big part of it.

But if Brock and a bunch of other guys were injured, it would still all be going to poo poo just like those years. They've been exceptionally fortunate in terms of season ending injuries (for ONCE), and I will be hoping that it continues.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
They've had basically no injuries at all so far, it's pretty remarkable. Please don't let this be a jinx.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mitchell has been but him on the injury report all the time is baseline.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Every time McCaffrey gets tackled I hold my breath until he gets up.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Papercut posted:

They've had basically no injuries at all so far, it's pretty remarkable. Please don't let this be a jinx.

Aaron Banks might have a longer term bicep injury apparently

Edit: /\ Yes I'm always worried when he doesn't immediately pop up

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's just a mild shoulder strain. I think he is day to day. Wouldn't be surprised if they hold him out Sunday. But I wouldn't be surprised if he played, either.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Whew

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, I think they took him out because the game was well in hand and why risk further injury.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I was thinking today at work while seeing a lot of national football writers starting to pump up Fred Warner's (early) case for DPOY after he was getting pretty high praise during the broadcast on Sunday night and Micah Parsons was basically invisible throughout the game. Luke Kuechly was the last non-pass rusher to win that award back in 2013, and it feels like public sentiment has gone even further in that direction over the last few years as all the armchair GMs online talk about how off-ball linebacker is a 'non-premium position', so it feels pretty remarkable that the media is even talking about him in that light, and it got me thinking about his career as a whole. Fred's already a 2-time Pro Bowler/All-Pro and will almost certainly add another to both categories at the end of this year unless he gets hurt, and he's been the more or less undisputed best player in the league at his position since Kuechly retired after the 2019 season. He's still only 26 (turns 27 next month) and if he can play another 3-4 years at this level which is really just the remainder of his athletic prime, it feels like you could start to make a really solid Hall of Fame case for him already no matter how the back end of his career turns out. He'll have the accolades and both the individual and team success, and the Niners defense has been the most consistent year-over-year defense since the Legion of Boom and the Von Miller-era Broncos disintegrated.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
AI has gone too far. Although Juice stomping on a weird pile of Cowboys seems about right.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Number LA there eating some poo poo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grozz Nuy posted:

I was thinking today at work while seeing a lot of national football writers starting to pump up Fred Warner's (early) case for DPOY after he was getting pretty high praise during the broadcast on Sunday night and Micah Parsons was basically invisible throughout the game. Luke Kuechly was the last non-pass rusher to win that award back in 2013, and it feels like public sentiment has gone even further in that direction over the last few years as all the armchair GMs online talk about how off-ball linebacker is a 'non-premium position', so it feels pretty remarkable that the media is even talking about him in that light, and it got me thinking about his career as a whole. Fred's already a 2-time Pro Bowler/All-Pro and will almost certainly add another to both categories at the end of this year unless he gets hurt, and he's been the more or less undisputed best player in the league at his position since Kuechly retired after the 2019 season. He's still only 26 (turns 27 next month) and if he can play another 3-4 years at this level which is really just the remainder of his athletic prime, it feels like you could start to make a really solid Hall of Fame case for him already no matter how the back end of his career turns out. He'll have the accolades and both the individual and team success, and the Niners defense has been the most consistent year-over-year defense since the Legion of Boom and the Von Miller-era Broncos disintegrated.

Fred Warner is one of the best coverage LB ever. LB is usually a weakness in pass protect. With SF it is a strength. Mainly because of Warner. Greenlaw is no slouch, either.

We've been really blessed w/ LB since Willis arrived. Heck, Borland played only 1 year and was awesome. Willis, Bowman, Borland, Warner, Greenlaw. Nasty.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

trilljester posted:

AI has gone too far. Although Juice stomping on a weird pile of Cowboys seems about right.

AI is just showing us the truth of the Cowboys.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

those dirty cheaters have like three extra footballs on the field, and also have pulled juice's left knee apart horribly :argh:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The breakdown from this play through the Deebo big gain is a good illustration of what Purdy excels at and why everything looks so easy. It's not just about Shanahan scheming guys open, it's Purdy making ridiculously quick reads even when the defense tries to disguise what they're doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvrv3UZ8Nqw&t=657s

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

I think Fred would need a DPOY/Super Bowl ring/another 1-2 All-Pro nods to get in the HOF. But yeah he's definitely the best "pure" LB in the league

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
I was curious about something and found a good laugh, thanks EA

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Papercut posted:

The breakdown from this play through the Deebo big gain is a good illustration of what Purdy excels at and why everything looks so easy. It's not just about Shanahan scheming guys open, it's Purdy making ridiculously quick reads even when the defense tries to disguise what they're doing.

I like the accuracy on the pass to Aiyuk that came back on a penalty, that's perfect placement. Possibly the single most impressive play was the flea-flicker; that starts at 6:38. Not for Shanahan deciding to just style on people. Not for the quality of the throw. Not even for the player who was supposed to cover Kittle being completely fooled on the play. It's the steel nerve of Purdy. Look where the closest defender to him is when he releases the ball: directly in front of him and one step away. Purdy throws the ball like he's all alone on the field, and then he gets hit as soon as the ball is out. You just can't pressure the guy.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
In the official NFL 49ers vs Browns preview, the narrator says: in Cleveland fans are realizing happy endings are harder to come by without Watson under center.

:stare:

Whoever does these deserves a raise; I really liked the Brandon Perna shoutout a couple of weeks ago too.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

OGS-Remix posted:

In the official NFL 49ers vs Browns preview, the narrator says: in Cleveland fans are realizing happy endings are harder to come by without Watson under center.

:lol:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
just posting to celebrate that the Rams got rid of that bum-rear end Van Jefferson.

and they even got a sixth and seventh round pick in the process which may be small potatoes but is a veritable feast compared to using a player who is actively hurting your chances of winning

mllaneza posted:

I like the accuracy on the pass to Aiyuk that came back on a penalty, that's perfect placement. Possibly the single most impressive play was the flea-flicker; that starts at 6:38. Not for Shanahan deciding to just style on people. Not for the quality of the throw. Not even for the player who was supposed to cover Kittle being completely fooled on the play. It's the steel nerve of Purdy. Look where the closest defender to him is when he releases the ball: directly in front of him and one step away. Purdy throws the ball like he's all alone on the field, and then he gets hit as soon as the ball is out. You just can't pressure the guy.

My favorite was the corner route to Aiyuk on third down for 35+ yards. Or maybe the deep in to Aiyuk that went inches above Vander Esch's outstetched fingers. Both of them show what makes him so effective: he throws with more anticipation than almost any other quarterback in the game. Maybe EVERY other quarterback in the game. And when he throws a pass before the receiver has even broke off their route, they are still somehow right on target. Which is a testament to his skill, but also to the coaching and the receivers who are running their routes with the amount of precision that requires, where he's able to know that they WILL be in the right place at the right time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah the all around execution is incredible, amazing coaching job

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Play posted:

just posting to celebrate that the Rams got rid of that bum-rear end Van Jefferson.

and they even got a sixth and seventh round pick in the process which may be small potatoes but is a veritable feast compared to using a player who is actively hurting your chances of winning

My favorite was the corner route to Aiyuk on third down for 35+ yards. Or maybe the deep in to Aiyuk that went inches above Vander Esch's outstetched fingers. Both of them show what makes him so effective: he throws with more anticipation than almost any other quarterback in the game. Maybe EVERY other quarterback in the game. And when he throws a pass before the receiver has even broke off their route, they are still somehow right on target. Which is a testament to his skill, but also to the coaching and the receivers who are running their routes with the amount of precision that requires, where he's able to know that they WILL be in the right place at the right time.

That layered throw over Vander Esch was definitely my favourite.

In wholy unsurprising news Steven Ruiz still had Purdy at 22 in his rankings

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Who is steven ruiz and why is he so dumb?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Writer for the Ringer

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://x.com/PFF_Seahawks/status/1712109577934692836?s=20

some real good LBs in this division

glad you're back on our side Bobby

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
It's no coincidence that the Seahawks run defense was abysmal last season and this season it is pretty good. Bobby was already a HOF lock, but the fact that he is still great is pretty amazing. And on top of that he sure looks like he is destined to get in to coaching once he ages out of playing.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Pretty crazy he's still playing at such a high level

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

MakaVillian posted:

Pretty crazy he's still playing at such a high level

He was easily the best LB on the Rams last year. He actually had his most sacks in a season last year while with the Rams with six. He's ageless.

Play posted:

Actually the falcons sent a 2025 sixth-round pick to the Rams for a seventh-round selection in the same year. I made the same mistake I assume you did when I read the initial press release.

Regardless, I like the trade because Van needed to go.

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 12, 2023

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Speaking of the Ringer, Ben Solak is my favorite of their football guys and he just wrote a piece about Brock that's got a way more nuanced and better take than Ruiz's. tl;dr, he's clearly benefiting from the playcalling and skill position talent (duh), but he's executing the offense better and differently from Jimmy. He pushes the ball further down the field and more frequently, and he extends plays much better and takes fewer sacks. All of that passes the eye test for the 3-ish years of healthy Jimmy vs. what is now effectively 3/4ths of a season for Brock.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
"Brock actually takes and hits shots outside the numbers and it made the offense way better pretty much immediately" is basically something I've been torturing everyone within earshot with for nearly a year now, so I appreciate having some backup.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Lifespan posted:

It's no coincidence that the Seahawks run defense was abysmal last season and this season it is pretty good. Bobby was already a HOF lock, but the fact that he is still great is pretty amazing. And on top of that he sure looks like he is destined to get in to coaching once he ages out of playing.

who knew that replacing Cody Barton with Bobby Wagner would make a difference??

I also thought it was funny how the team was so annoyed at last season's DT play that they shitcanned basically the whole position group and started over. And hey, Jarran Reed has been playing great!

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

shirts and skins posted:

who knew that replacing Cody Barton with Bobby Wagner would make a difference??

I also thought it was funny how the team was so annoyed at last season's DT play that they shitcanned basically the whole position group and started over. And hey, Jarran Reed has been playing great!

God barton sucked. I will never forgive him for getting blocked by AARON RODGERS in that playoff game.

Jarren Reed is holding the whole dline together. Please wrap him in bubble wrap. Without him just don't know how the dline would be NFL caliber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
From what little I've seen of Commanders games, Cody Barton hasn't changed one bit

I'm glad he's not blowing assignments for my team anymore. Getting rid of him just improved the defense by default.