Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

leper khan posted:

The wheel of time turns and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again. In one age, known as the third age by some -- and age yet to come; an age long past -- Disney is thinking about buying game studios instead of just licensing their IP.

In this context we are the forsaken.

This would be the fourth cycle of starting in-house development, right?

If they were to buy Double Fine, would they release a game before this cycle flips to shutting down the studios, I wonder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Disney Infinity was canned many many years before baby Yoda was a thing.

Edit: Here's this 2016 article for anyone who hasn't read it yet: https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2016/8/18/12514296/disney-game-industry-history

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Modern Video Games posted:

I am an actual certified administrator of Sun Solaris 9 - used to do work on those old boxes back in the day. Have not had a reason to touch it for ten years though.

My old job used to make fun of me for being the only guy interested in Linux/UNIX when I was twenty years younger than them and they were Windows admins. Solaris was pretty much just another flavour of BSD - and I dig it.

Hah! I made a lot of money selling IBM hardware into Sun customers after Sun was acquired by Oracle. Said customers wanted to stay on a UNIX variant, but were determined to never give a dime to Larry Ellison. The only other viable options were HP-UX which was already one foot in the grave, and AIX - which is probably the dominant UNIX variant today (unless you count Linux, but that's FOSS and isn't comparable IMO).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

I find the idea that "breaking compatibility for a desktop OS is good" very strange, coming from a games forum in which many people regularly play games that were released 30+ years ago.

There are a handful of games I have on my old iPhone that I simply can't play any more because they were 32 bit apps and the developer is gone.

Compatibility isn't just "break old thing to make new thing"; Windows has very obviously improved and changed in a variety of ways while keeping backwards compatibility available. Even in cases where some new feature would break an old thing, there are options to run things in older modes or with certain shims applied. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than just... "sorry, you can't run anything from more than a few years ago, hope it was updated".

I mean, even outside of pure backwards compatibility, Windows also (for a while) included things like "XP Mode", which was just a straight-up virtual machine/emulator for things that didn't work on 7.

The real problem is just that work on backwards compatibility doesn't make money. It can let big customers upgrade, sure, but it in and of itself is just a drain on resources, and supporting old software means people aren't spending their money on newer (usually, more expensive) software.

playing games that were released 30+ years ago is significantly easier on linux or macos w stuff like wine than actually running them on modern versions of windows w/o going thru a vm or something like pcem.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Isn't Disney also losing a lot of money with Disney+ because they couldn't accept some of the money from Netflix when they could (in their dreams) have all the money by doing it themselves?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

mutata posted:

Disney Infinity was canned many many years before baby Yoda was a thing.

Edit: Here's this 2016 article for anyone who hasn't read it yet: https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2016/8/18/12514296/disney-game-industry-history

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant that toys in general were not being planned to be made for baby yoda until after the popularity of both the show/character were seen. Looked around to actually see what I remembering and was thinking specifically of a quote from John Favreau saying the toys were delayed after all the other toys were out and I misremembered that they weren't planned at all.

Anyway, to get it back to games, I think that Disney could have turned late stage Lucas Arts Games into something really special again and while I think EA has done nothing great with the license in the way the old games were, Disney will also not do well with any of their property's games.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mr E posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant that toys in general were not being planned to be made for baby yoda until after the popularity of both the show/character were seen. Looked around to actually see what I remembering and was thinking specifically of a quote from John Favreau saying the toys were delayed after all the other toys were out and I misremembered that they weren't planned at all.

Anyway, to get it back to games, I think that Disney could have turned late stage Lucas Arts Games into something really special again and while I think EA has done nothing great with the license in the way the old games were, Disney will also not do well with any of their property's games.

Ah, right, that. Gotcha.

Also, yes, EA has made bad Star Wars games, again because Disney doesn't understand games and it, as an organization, does not think video games are good or valuable like movies. They also cannot be artistic like movies can be. They are not a place for creation or anything other than playing through sterilized, compartmentalized, easily forgotten, non threatening, inconsequential, story tropes with swap in/swap out bland characters.

Video games to Disney are the exact same as movie trailers. They will NEVER be comfortable with giving them actual production budgets and they will never have creative support, let alone control.

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 11, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

There are a handful of games I have on my old iPhone that I simply can't play any more because they were 32 bit apps and the developer is gone.

this is going to happen on android now too btw. they cant just keep holding back chips forever and refusing to ever make them fully 64bit so 10 people can play 2 games once every 5 years.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bring back Mr.Aaah. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIfZwMGs3Kc

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i know it's more a 90s/00s thing but there was a period where it was an axiom that Star Wars games were great and Star Trek games were awful, and it was 99% because LucasArts was one of the best development studios on earth during that time
The best part was Rescue, an unlicensed Star Trek shareware fan game, being massively better than any official Star Trek game.

mutata posted:

Also, yes, EA has made bad Star Wars games, again because Disney doesn't understand games and it, as an organization, does not think video games are good or valuable like movies.
Star Wars games have generally done well because they strategically fit into the Star Wars merchandising machine, and the source material was a good fit for video game adaptations.

quote:

Video games to Disney are the exact same as movie trailers. They will NEVER be comfortable with giving them actual production budgets and they will never have creative support, let alone control.
... but MVC Infinite shows all the signs of being bludgeoned into being a promo vehicle for the MCU Phase 3 storyline, so yeah.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 11, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

People have stopped going to see every new MCU movie. Spider-Man is the only series that's still got any sort of life left in it, and a big amount of credit on that is due to the fantastic Sony animated films.

In the last 3 years we've seen Eternals, Love and Thunder, Multiverse of Madness, Black Widow, and Quantumania all land as some of the worst reviewed and lowest grossing films in the MCU.

Black Panther and GotG are also both still lower scored and grossed less than their predecessors.

That just leaves Shang-Chi which was fine? A little overrated imo but fine.

Disney Fatigue is absolutely setting in and the tv shows have now officially produced more misses than hits

I feel like this needs to be framed in context. These films are not doing as well as they could be but 'nobody is seeing them' isn't accurate. The only Marvel movie to not be in the top 10 grossing movies that year was Eternals which is 11th. Quantumania might be the second. For all that people are fatigued of them and they're not doing as well as they used to they are still among the most viewed things in the world.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 11, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Stux posted:

this is going to happen on android now too btw. they cant just keep holding back chips forever and refusing to ever make them fully 64bit so 10 people can play 2 games once every 5 years.

This already happens on android. Maybe not the specific 32 to 64 issues but system API changes or whatever mean a bunch of old games stop working in new OS versions. I bought the humble android bundles back in the day and lots of those games won't launch properly on my phone any more.
Ofc for non drm-free games they just get delisted from the app store and are never seen again so you can't even try to install them.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

... but MVC Infinite shows all the signs of being bludgeoned into being a promo vehicle for the MCU Phase 3 storyline, so yeah.

The moment it was clear there were going to be no X-Men or Fantastic Four characters in the roster thanks to Ike Perlmutter's "gently caress characters we don't have the film rights to" policy, that game was doomed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm not sure if it ever got fixed in patches but MVCI at launch just looked so... bad. The models were bad, the backgrounds were bad, the UI and fonts were bad. And it's got a smaller roster with the Marvel side filled with movie characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

The moment it was clear there were going to be no X-Men or Fantastic Four characters in the roster thanks to Ike Perlmutter's "gently caress characters we don't have the film rights to" policy, that game was doomed.

To be fair at least some of that was on Capcom's awful marketing. I think people would have been a lot more forgiving of "Yeah, sorry, we can't use those characters" but the view people had of Capcom's response was kind of framed by the "all characters are just like, FUNCTIONS man," which is one of those tone-deaf statements that poisoned the well in a lot of ways.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MvCI's roster was 90% reused from MvC3 too. Like Bionic Commando Reboot Man being there was fine in mvc3 since his game came out relatively recently but why on earth was he in infinite. Combine that with so many of the x-men and fantastic four characters being cut and it just felt stripped back from MvC3, not a new game.

If it had a bunch of new characters and exciting picks people'd have been more forgiving.

Before DLC the only characters in MVCI that weren't in 3 were

Captain Marvel
Gamora
Ultron
Jedah
Megaman X

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 11, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think the Infinite Dante is a guy who owes me money, but there's a chance he's already been found dead in an alley somewhere.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Yeah, MVCI seems to have been made on a shoestring budget and it shows

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I think the Infinite Dante is a guy who owes me money, but there's a chance he's already been found dead in an alley somewhere.

One underreported detail is that even though Capcom made a big public show of fixing the models, the ingame menus all still used the original models. So you still got really rough looking Dante at character select.

And lord help you if you played one of the characters nobody really cares about like Chris or Spencer.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
MvCI Penance Stare was a crime against humanity I will never forgive.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disney has a history of just being really bad with video games, see their Skylanders riff with Disney Infinity being poorly managed even by the standards of the toys-to-life fad. And I think they tend to blame failures on the studios doing what they were told to do rather than lovely management, tale as old as time.

That or they're just being pissy as they hate having to rely on contractors to make video games and their c-suite can't micromanage them to death.

I think I remember one story about them placing a large order of toys, I can't remember if it was the 2.0 Marvel or 3.0 Star Wars stuff, but like- the guy in charge of it was on vacation so someone else placed the production order... except the guy in charge already placed a production order before he left for vacation, and they ended up paying double and being unable to sell all of it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Revitalized posted:

I think I remember one story about them placing a large order of toys, I can't remember if it was the 2.0 Marvel or 3.0 Star Wars stuff, but like- the guy in charge of it was on vacation so someone else placed the production order... except the guy in charge already placed a production order before he left for vacation, and they ended up paying double and being unable to sell all of it.

Jeez, hearing this kind of stuff where a tiny fuckup costs an absolute bomb is always crazy.

I used to work at a place that was in contact and worked with the place where discs for Xbox One games were pressed and checked, they'd make 10 at first, check a few of them and then once those were OK'd actually make the rest of the run, however many that'd be.

They messed up once though, the checks were basically putting the disc in an online console, an offline console on the latest update and then finally on a console that had never been connected to the internet, obviously it had to install correctly in each scenario, in the latter case it was alright if it didn't install as long as it gave you a decent message explaining why and telling you to update the firmware.

Unfortunately whoever they had doing that test on the day they made the first 10 discs for the latest incarnation of that popular American football franchise forgot to unplug the middle console from the internet and that pressing of discs didn't actually have the game on them for some reason.

Instead they just had the 8kb store kernel that you'd get from a code that just prompted the store to start downloading the game and associated it with your account. The guy did his tests for the middle scenario with the console online, so it all looked fine, like it was installing from the disc and OK'd it so they went ahead with the pressing of blu rays, all 2.5 million of them that couldn't be sold. They weren't very happy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mutata posted:

Ah, right, that. Gotcha.

Also, yes, EA has made bad Star Wars games, again because Disney doesn't understand games and it, as an organization, does not think video games are good or valuable like movies. They also cannot be artistic like movies can be. They are not a place for creation or anything other than playing through sterilized, compartmentalized, easily forgotten, non threatening, inconsequential, story tropes with swap in/swap out bland characters.

How did Kingdom Hearts sneak through?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Isn't the story that Disney had some offices in the same building as SE?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How did Kingdom Hearts sneak through?

Kingdom Hearts was literally a "people in the same elevator" pitch.

"In an interview with IGN, Nomura revealed that Hashimoto had a chance meeting with a Disney executive in an elevator which allowed him to pitch the idea directly to Disney. The elevator pitch turned into board rooms meetings, NDAs, and contracts, and in February 2000, development for the game finally began with Hashimoto serving as producer and Tetsuya Nomura as director."

Straight-up the definition of an elevator pitch.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Not to mention Disney in the late 90's and early 2000's was a very different company to what it is now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KH wasnt even the weirdest disney game made during that period.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

KH wasnt even the weirdest disney game made during that period.

isn't this based off an italian donald duck comic? even as a kid i thought this poo poo was weird

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Not to mention Disney in the late 90's and early 2000's was a very different company to what it is now.

Yeah, while there were still reworks and revisions, the basic concept of KH came about by nomura straight up saying he didn't care about what disney had in mind to their face and getting away with it

(from the KH3D Iwata Asks)
https://imgur.com/c5uUqz0

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Yeah, while there were still reworks and revisions, the basic concept of KH came about by nomura straight up saying he didn't care about what disney had in mind to their face and getting away with it

(from the KH3D Iwata Asks)
https://imgur.com/c5uUqz0

Man, just trying to imagine anyone going to Disney "No, that sucks, here is my anime boy with a chainsaw" these days

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
KH was created when Disney was thinking "it is cool to license our stuff out because it brings us in money and boosts our reputation as a culturally-relevant company" i.e. basically the same as the Star Wars strategy, instead of asking questions like "what is our strategic vision for the Donald Duck and Goofy IPs?"

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015
And if you compare how the Disney ips were used in the older KH games to KH3 there's a clear sense they wanted the newer worlds to be ads to their movies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fabiopenz posted:

And if you compare how the Disney ips were used in the older KH games to KH3 there's a clear sense they wanted the newer worlds to be ads to their movies.

I mean the second KH game had Chicken loving Little.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the second KH game had Chicken loving Little.

Yeah but there's a difference between a smaller movie getting a nod and the Frozen world being Sora Watches Frozen, right down to completely doing Let It Go while occasionally panning over to Sora for a reaction shot.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The latest game really emphasized new movies only, yea

E: also I remember the original context and pitch for KH being "it's a crossover of Final Fantasy and Disney" and they've dropped the FF characters

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've always wondered how the voice actors for all the Disney characters feel about KH since 99% of the time you're presumably doing gawrsh hyuk and then once every 4-5 years you read some nonsense about the duality of the soul.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kingdom Sharts

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I've always wondered how the voice actors for all the Disney characters feel about KH since 99% of the time you're presumably doing gawrsh hyuk and then once every 4-5 years you read some nonsense about the duality of the soul.

I would kill to know what it was like to voice this line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_6mpKet-KI

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The latest game really emphasized new movies only, yea

E: also I remember the original context and pitch for KH being "it's a crossover of Final Fantasy and Disney" and they've dropped the FF characters

As someone who never played KH but thought it was neat and unique that you could have an official FFxDisney crossover, why on earth did they do that? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Revitalized posted:

As someone who never played KH but thought it was neat and unique that you could have an official FFxDisney crossover, why on earth did they do that? lol

They said it was to "focus on the main storyline" but some of the FF characters were pretty major characters in the original game so it's still odd that it dropped off completely.

The thing is, people talk about KH's story being nonsense but the original game is the perfect blend of digestible but also having enough intriguing weirdness to be something unique and cool, especially for a younger audience. But that first game, where FF characters were more prominent, actually had a relatively small number of original characters. Aside from the main trio of youths and the major villain and monsters, pretty much every other character is either Final Fantasy or Disney

The insanity the series has become known for only really accelerated with the 2nd with the introduction of a very large ensemble of other characters (Organization XIII)

So I think it's a few things, lack of development resources, Nomura wanting to focus on his new characters, and Disney wanting to push more recent properties, and they kinda just dropped the Final Fantasy characters out