Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I have learned to almost always roll into the person because if you go past them you are then behind them and most dudes are so loving slow to turn around you get one to three hits off, and the other is because most bosses are large if not gigantic and being literally at their toenails ensures you won’t get hit so they just whiff all around you until they do a close range clearance move/spell or fly away or whatever to reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember the Blood Starved Beast who very literally could straight up not hit you if you just hugged his left (or maybe it was his right, I don't remember anymore) side?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I mean, this is how most dragons are. It’s also how you can easily melee the fire giant. As long as you can close any distance ASAP you will be fine. That said, if you gently caress up they punish the poo poo out of you.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
With light rolling you can actually roll away from attacks. It's crazy how many times it worked where a mid roll would get smoked. 2-3 light rolls will launch you to the opposite side of any boss arena. It's fun and you can pull off light armor fashion with the bloodhound knight chest piece.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Except I have a 23 pound chunk of iron for a weapon and consider endurance a dump stat. It's a me problem.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I have on many occasion considered bringing endurance so high that I can use Radahn’s or Bull Goat or Lionel’s Set and a colossal and STILL have light load.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There is a tear that will let you do it for three minutes.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
No ,sorry, tears are a nintendo game

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I poured into endurance early on and stopped at 36. I got my strength to 55 and vigor to 60 then started investing in other things like faith and int to do some spells or set up for a new game+, and I also put a few into mind so I could try out other spirits or keep using my ashes of war longer.

But maybe...maybe I need to get it higher.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
OK, four games in I really need to get this off my chest : gently caress Fromsoft dogs. gently caress their stunlocking, gently caress their constant attacks if there's more than one (1) of them, gently caress the fact that it's the SAME MOVESET since DS1, gently caress their conspiring with the camera to make your day poo poo if there's a wall or rock within 500 meters, gently caress the Radagon big dogs, just gently caress all of the dogs, always and forever (in Fromsoft games specifically).

They're not fun, they're not clever, they're not interesting and I'm sick and tired of them.
The rats can go gently caress the dogs, too.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Lies of P sure has better dogs!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

OK, four games in I really need to get this off my chest : gently caress Fromsoft dogs. gently caress their stunlocking, gently caress their constant attacks if there's more than one (1) of them, gently caress the fact that it's the SAME MOVESET since DS1, gently caress their conspiring with the camera to make your day poo poo if there's a wall or rock within 500 meters, gently caress the Radagon big dogs, just gently caress all of the dogs, always and forever (in Fromsoft games specifically).

They're not fun, they're not clever, they're not interesting and I'm sick and tired of them.

Try blocking

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

Guard counter loving trivializes them in ER, and a decent shield basically does the same in all the DS entries. I've never understood the hate, tbh.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also in BB any gun will sit them on their rear end

Fuckem tho

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

No Dignity posted:

Try blocking

blockblockblockblockblock trade hits blockblock OUT OF STAMINA STUNLOCK HAHA EAT poo poo THIS IS FUN, WE'RE HAVING FUN !

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They usually recoil against a medium shield and give you a big opening, I always found it a very effective tactic for them between games

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You're asking for trouble if you're using a light shield, but that's the same as every other use case of a light shield

Elden Ring is nice because if you use a big enough weapon you don't even need the shield, just block with it and guard counter them into the ground. As long as your poise is above 51 or so they shouldn't be able to do anything about it and you can get that super easy after the equipment overhaul last year

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hit them with your famous gigantic horizontal swinging attack

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
A lot of fast rushdown enemies can be countered without even shields by just spacing them out. They charge at you, you bait an attack and run backwards, they whiff on air without you even going into iframes or recovery, you loop around and punish.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Also using colossal weapons while naked against doggos is just a bad idea in general. And in general. It’s not the best pvp nor pve loadout since DS1, where you could backstab fish with client side grab frames.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Finally got enough endurance to light roll with an iron greatsword. Life is good while zipping around swingin a big slab of iron.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Also using colossal weapons while naked against doggos is just a bad idea in general. And in general. It’s not the best pvp nor pve loadout since DS1, where you could backstab fish with client side grab frames.

Tbh this is my go to build when playing souls games and it is beautiful.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

See, you’re thinking of the game as something different. You’re thinking of it as an RPG where you try to win. When in fact, the game is a Barbie dress-up power fantasy / cosplay simulator. You can be over there with your ”stats” and ”pvps”, and we can be over here running around in thongs and helmets with dragon swords and mimicing urns.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I’ve done full ng3+ RL125 runs with Godfrey axe and the low poise elden lord set, it’s hard as gently caress

Still, if your complaint is some trash mobs are more difficult than expect and force you to respect them, then the above tactics work!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

A lot of fast rushdown enemies can be countered without even shields by just spacing them out. They charge at you, you bait an attack and run backwards, they whiff on air without you even going into iframes or recovery, you loop around and punish.

I know *how* to deal with them.
I'm not having fun, ever, dealing with them. At all. The fact that From just looooves ambushing fifteen of them in tight spaces (where locking on one will gently caress the camera forever) with no way to see it coming before they already killed you once (because dogs howl and hear each other, it's realistic to have them come out of the woodwork in seconds, see ?) compounds the issue.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
MAD ABOUT VIDEO GAME DOGS

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
been there before bud

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

You can’t pet the dog in Elden Ring, right?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Bisse posted:

You can’t pet the dog in Elden Ring, right?

You can deffo pet the Behold, dog ! if you angle the camera right.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Cavauro posted:

hit them with your famous gigantic horizontal swinging attack

r1

oh gently caress they hit me in the windup frames where i take a step forward and extend my weapon 90 degrees away from them

r1r1r1r1r1

oh gently caress i'm dead

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i don't know about naked but big sord no shield was fantastic in PvE in DS3. bad for dueling PvP, but pretty good in invasions too

the thing is DS3 didn't give every single enemy attack strings that lasted longer than the national anthem, a projectile attack or the ability to teleport across a football field or both, and it was much, much easier to stagger/interrupt enemies with a single hit

also universal 2-hit true combos still existed for players and player-like NPCs, probably the single biggest nerf to big sord life in Elden Ring and one it's never recovered from

e: oh and poise/hyperarmor was a static value determined by gear + animations instead of an invisible pool that depletes, so as long as you'd started your attack animation, if it poised through an enemy attack once, it would always poise through that attack, vs. Elden Ring where if you so much as got hit by a stray arrow 15 seconds ago lol gently caress you your armor and hyperarmor frames do nothing

basically big sord is fine when trading hits is a legit thing you can do for advantage instead of a failure state for idiots

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 11, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Imagine not poising through attacks to deliver a devastating trade with a building-sized weapon. Couldn't be me.

Tungsten posted:

r1

oh gently caress they hit me in the windup frames where i take a step forward and extend my weapon 90 degrees away from them

r1r1r1r1r1

oh gently caress i'm dead

hold L1, wait for the attack, R2, collect loot

Or just run away or around like your hair is on fire until you see and opening and do a running attack

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

attack strings that lasted longer than the national anthem

That's another thing I'm not too fond of in ER. Specifically those... I dunno, sort of human centipede looking things ? I still don't know how to deal with their multislap charge. Dodge ? Haha, laser tracking for 5 minutes, peasant. Block ? Oh, sure, you'll block the first 10 slaps, maybe. There's still 15 in the pipe. Also you're poisoned, because gently caress you. Oh, you thought you maybe had a hit window ? Psyche, bitch, I'm already teleporting behind you and by the time you've turned the cam around I'm already doing my one-hit death grab, lol.

(There are a number of other enemies with similar endless attack combos I don't like, but those are the absolute worst. And there again, From just loves spawning them out of nowhere in tight corners, for added FUN ! Cause gently caress that "advance cautiously, check your corners and you can prevent all of our bullshit" thing we've been about in the past. Now is the dawn of HAHA gently caress YOU, YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING ON ACCOUNT OF THERE WAS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO SEE IT COMING, DID YOU ?!)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Royal Revenants never get easy but if you can blitz them down before they go apeshit or have a shield handy they're manageable. They're half the reason I always have at least 12 faith and a 0 weight seal on every character, as Heal will stagger them and take over half their health, setting up a 2nd cast which will kill them. The other reason is Flame, Cleanse Me of course

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Not meant as a brag but I never found revenants *that* hard? I just roll to the side a few times and that usually seems to be me away from their charge

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Remember the rot dogs at launch that did like 2000 damage per second? Tarnished these days are soft I tell you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kobal2 posted:

:darksouls:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

Just absolute lol if you can't poise your way through any dog.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

dialhforhero posted:

I'm a dodge wizzerd with 5 HP and a dagger (also seven flavours of ultimate apocalypse out of a stick, I'll grant you that). I don't poise my way through an overly moist handshake.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dialhforhero posted:

"Playtime... is over"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I have a feeling that building an absolute beast face tanking melee character will prove very difficult to unlearn in my NG+.

I haven't been stance broken since I finished Stormveil and I am pretty sure the last time anything staggered me I was still maybe halfway through or before in Liurnia.